The Official TNA / Impact / GFW Discussion Thread

Adam Ryland

The order of importance right now in TNA:

1. Nostalgia acts. Hogan, Sting, Nash, EV2, Jarrett etc

2. Guys who are still relevant but got most of their exposure elsewhere. Angle, Hardy, RVD, Anderson

VERY VERY BIG GAP

3. Guys who are relevant and got their most exposure in TNA. AJ, Joe, Abyss.

Gap

4. Up and coming talented guys. Morgan, Pope, Kaz, Terry (crap).

Gap

5. Women's division. Within division sex appeal and ex e rule.

6. Tag division.

Gap

7. Gimmicky/sympathy stuff. OJ, EY, Ink Inc, Robbie E etc

Gap

8. X Division.

How it should be and how I would like it.

1. Still relevant and exposure elsewhere

2. Relevent and exposure in TNA.

Small gap.

3. Up and coming talents and head-liners different divisions.

4. Tag division

5. X Division

6. Women, with focus on in ring skill and sex appeal secondary and as anti what the division is about.

Gap

7. Nostalgia

8. Gimmicky sympathy stuff jobbers.

If you want me to explain the why and the assumptions behind it please ask or read my TNA diary lolz.

<p>Simply put, simplify. </p><p> </p><p>

Primarily, make the wrestling important again. No more 12 minutes of wrestling on a 2-hour show. I feel that in-ring action is where TNA can most differentiate themselves from the WWE and really shine, so do it. That doesn't mean going to the opposite extreme and trying to be pure wrestling. It just means that wrestling will be a primary focus, with the storylines to support it, rather than vice versa as it is now.</p>

<p>Most of the complaints on this board aren't in this direction, and for all I know you're stalwart supporters of indy wrestling, but this thought has been rolling around the old noodle today...</p><p> </p><p>

If you want to see more of the X-Division style, maybe you should stop hoping that TNA will change their tune, and support a promotion like PWG. Right now, I think the big companies hear "push the cruiserweight" type recommendations, look at PWG running in rinky-dink venues, and think "clearly that doesn't draw, let's be different to that". What if it did draw? What if every frustrated X-Division fan started buying PWG DVD's to get their fix? If the bigger promotions see that style drawing money, perhaps they will change their ways. Ditto 'Women who can work'. SHIMMER is doing just that. Why ignore them and continue giving money and ratings to TNA?</p><p> </p><p>

As for random "What I would do" suggestions. I'd put the ball on Jeff Hardy. Not Hogan or Jarrett or Eric. Just Jeff. Sick, twisted, weirdo Jeff (and maybe Matt) Jeff on top feuds with RVD, Kennedy and Angle, one at a time. Deeply personal feuds in which an almost Joker-like Hardy messes with their minds and 'crosses the line' into realms the wrestling business has never seen before. Psychological warfare from a psychotic, psychedelic lone wolf. I want him to mess with their families and ruin their lives. </p><p> </p><p>

I'd solidify Fortune and make them the No1 heel faction, and with the exception of Hardy, top heels. Flair. Kaz, AJ, Beer Money. No more infighting. No more additions. They head up the charge for the other belts. MCMG vs AJ & Kaz. Lethal vs Storm. Roode holding the TV strap. That's right, I'd mix it up for a couple of months before revisiting Beer Money vs MCMG. </p><p> </p><p>

I'd also fire 15 guys, and replace them with 5 fresh faces from the indy scene, who would be pushed strong out of the bat. Currently, Robbie E is the only guy on the roster who is fresh and new. Hard to get excited about guys I've seen flounder for years.</p><p> </p><p>

That's what I'd do at any rate. We're into fantasy booking territory, but what the hell. I had to do something while waiting for the washing machine to finish.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Self" data-cite="Self" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25170" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><p> As for random "What I would do" suggestions. I'd put the ball on Jeff Hardy. Not Hogan or Jarrett or Eric. Just Jeff. Sick, twisted, weirdo Jeff (and maybe Matt) Jeff on top feuds with RVD, Kennedy and Angle, one at a time. Deeply personal feuds in which an almost Joker-like Hardy messes with their minds and 'crosses the line' into realms the wrestling business has never seen before. Psychological warfare from a psychotic, psychedelic lone wolf. I want him to mess with their families and ruin their lives. </p><p> </p><p> I'd solidify Fortune and make them the No1 heel faction, and with the exception of Hardy, top heels. Flair. Kaz, AJ, Beer Money. No more infighting. No more additions. They head up the charge for the other belts. MCMG vs AJ & Kaz. Lethal vs Storm. Roode holding the TV strap. That's right, I'd mix it up for a couple of months before revisiting Beer Money vs MCMG. </p><p> </p><p> I'd also fire 15 guys, and replace them with 5 fresh faces from the indy scene, who would be pushed strong out of the bat. Currently, Robbie E is the only guy on the roster who is fresh and new. Hard to get excited about guys I've seen flounder for years.</p><p> </p><p> </p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I love all of that. Especially the idea of Hardy/Angle. Kurt is one of the better actors there are as far as wrestlers go. And you'd have a TON of material to work with depending on how far Kurt was willing to let things go. Especially with JJ in a stable with Hardy.</p>

<p>I don't think fanatasy booking is that bad as long as it is not revisionist booking. It's a lot easier to work in hindsight. Not detracting from the excellent diaries out there but more that it is easier to say: "well they did that wrong and they should/could have done that"</p><p>

Instead of : "Going forward this is what they should do and this is why".</p><p> </p><p>

One problem is is that we lack a lot of information. What do the talent contracts look like? What are the demands of Spike TV? What where the results of the survey and how was it set up? What do the minute by minutes look like? Etc etc.</p><p> </p><p>

As far as the PWG/ROH/Other indies argument goes: Production Value and Storyline minimum they just don't reach that for me. TNA does and has the potential to give me X style wrestling for instance as they have shown they can deliver that in the past.</p>

I like Self's idea a lot too. Basically push things forward: stop dwelling in nostalgia and do something that fans five years from now will say "aw man they don't have angles as good as <em>that</em> anymore." WWE won't do it because they don't have to; TNA is in a much better position to take more creative risks. I mean, could they do any worse than NWO redux take a million or the Four Horseman Junior?

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Hyde Hill" data-cite="Hyde Hill" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25170" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>As far as the PWG/ROH/Other indies argument goes: Production Value and Storyline minimum they just don't reach that for me. TNA does and has the potential to give me X style wrestling for instance as they have shown they can deliver that in the past.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I can dig that. I love slick production values and coherent storytelling. However, I'll bite the bullet and suffer through some dodgy production values, as long as I get to see some fun X-Division style wrestling. For me, right now, it's worth it. Especially consider the top promotions aren't currently delivering a product I enjoy.</p>

Don't hope she is a total failure but do hope she remains miles away from a wrestling ring. I wonder who is responsible for the apparent resurgence of the booking of the KO's its not just Mickie's signing but general it seems from what I have read more focus on the girls that can wrestle with the good looking ones as the anti Knock Out's/garnish.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Slagaholic" data-cite="Slagaholic" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25170" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Hey not every Von Erich died tragically. In fact most of them died quite pathetically.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Wat</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Slagaholic" data-cite="Slagaholic" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25170" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I wouldn't call her ugly, she's more mediocre.<p> </p><p> I'd destroy Hamada tho.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Your right about Wilde but I see nothing in Hamada</p>