The Official TNA / Impact / GFW Discussion Thread

Adam Ryland

IWC isn't a big part of wrestling fans though its lik 1/4 of all wrestling fans so to say TNA should listen to that 25% of fans is stupid

This is not directed at jwt, I was just using his post to set-up my joke:

The rest of the wrestling fans are inbred hicks who do not have access to electricity and they refer to the Civil War as the War of Northern Aggression.:D

I never get why people like to call out the IWC, after all if you post on here about wrestling you are apart of the community that you have so much disdain for. If something is bad why can't we voice our opinion on it?

From the looks of what TNA did, it is horrible. Everything OldStingberg said is how I feel about the situation. I do not think it was the right or logical move for them to make. Spoilers: It is almost as if TNA is saying, "Yeah we messed up, so we will make this move to keep our fanbase happy.

I never get why people like to call out the IWC, after all if you post on here about wrestling you are apart of the community that you have so much disdain for. If something is bad why can't we voice our opinion on it?

Because if you attribute an opinion to faceless group, it makes it much easier to dismiss. What's easier to compose and type:

"Oh, the IWC always complain."

or

"Well, you've made a good argument but I disagree because of this, this and this."

Because if you attribute an opinion to faceless group, it makes it much easier to dismiss. What's easier to compose and type:

"Oh, the IWC always complain."

or

"Well, you've made a good argument but I disagree because of this, this and this."

So I'm dismissing my opinion?

IWC isn't a big part of wrestling fans though its lik 1/4 of all wrestling fans so to say TNA should listen to that 25% of fans is stupid

Are you kidding me? I sure hope you don't work in marketing in any company... Completely ignoring a solid 25 % of your customer base is outright crazy.

People in this thread need to wake up and smell the difference between bandwagon "boo hiss TNA is da worst" and genuine criticisms about poor storytelling. Such a wonder that fans might complain about a babyface not going over after months of build at a big show. Pretty sure you wouldn't need to be a WWF mark to know it would have been ridiculous for JBL to go over John Cena at Wrestlemania or HBK to go over Austin. Spoilers below:

Particularly if Austin or Cena's first run had been given to them on a taped TV match where they turned heel, cutting the legs out from yet another new champion in the process. The mind boggles.

Reading the spoilers and I'm like, seriously wow.

You know the Roode build was epic, I really enjoyed it and wanted to see who would win that match. Heck I don't even care that Roode lost in the way he did.

The way that things have happened since have been atrocious - they could have at least had a Roode vs. Storm vs. Angle match (with Angle doing very little in the match) leading to Storm winning the title - that could have been a perfect lead into a feud etc and it's easy to make all three come out looking decent.

Instead we get convolusion and stuff that makes absolutely no sense at all. How it's gonna play out on tv I have no idea.

For those of you who are interested, here is my interview done by So Cal Val and Impact Wrestling before Bound For Glory:

That was pretty cool, you seemed very calm during that interview. I know if I was standing next to So Cal Val, well first I would be drooling and then I would just stare into the camera like a deer caught in headlights.

That was pretty cool, you seemed very calm during that interview. I know if I was standing next to So Cal Val, well first I would be drooling and then I would just stare into the camera like a deer caught in headlights.

Amen to that. I'd throw her over my shoulder and try to make a run for it out of the building, hoping the security would be mostly fatties that day.

Amen to that. I'd throw her over my shoulder and try to make a run for it out of the building, hoping the security would be mostly fatties that day.

Thanks a lot guys! And I thought about that with Val. lol. But it does help that I talked with her multiple times during the weekend, including a long conversation at the reception when I first got there. She is definitely one of the hottest women I've ever seen in person, though. One of my greatest memories there, though, is that she actually remembered my name throughout the entire weekend.

For those of you who are interested, here is my interview done by So Cal Val and Impact Wrestling before Bound For Glory:

Congrats dude. I went to a TNA house show last year and it's the best wrestling experience I've ever had. I can't imagine what Bound for Glory weekend would have been like.

<p>Finally got around to watching BFG. Honestly as bad as the finish was, the whole show wasn't great. Kendrick is a heat vacuum, nobody in Philly cared about Crimson so of course he goes over, RVD and Lynn was an entertaining re-run. Styles and Daniels had a strong finish but the opening was pretty slow. Knockouts match was a mess- Karen needs to learn that you need to maintain the illusion of counting and then stop the count if you want the fans to stay involved. Ironically Roode/Angle is probably the match I was most interested in, just because I haven't already seen it on "best of" dvds. And didn't TNA used to have an amazing tag division? We didn't even see the champions. In the pro column, Bully Ray actually is doing something outside of a nostalgia act, and managed to generate heat as a heel, something pretty much every other heel struggled with; and he's even an ECW guy! Sting vs. Hogan was abysmal, and watching Sting throw himself all over the ring to try to hide Hogan's inability to bend his knees was sad. Hard to believe how relevant Hogan was 14 years ago.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>

Honestly TNA needs to realize that a character only has a limited shelf-life. Guys like AJ, Joe, Abyss, etc., have done everything they're gonna do in this company. They've won every title, feuded with everyone, and as-is, they're not big enough "names" to work a reduced schedule or be an attraction match on their own. Maybe they go to Japan or WWE and struggle- worst case, they come back to TNA and they're in exactly the same position they're in now, but hopefully have a few new faces to work with.</p>

<p>I think criticisms about bad storytelling from a booking and promo perspective are fair. TNA hasn't been doing a great job of this. There are a few good things in TNA. Lots of not-so-great. </p><p> </p><p>

I try not to judge TV spots based on spoilers because they don't always do the TV moment justice. Ask Mick Foley about that. But it doesn't seem like it's getting better.</p><p> </p><p>

What IS improving in my opinion is the match quality. And if they continue to give their unique talent more TV time over the WWE-jects than I think they have the possibility to become a viable alternative to WWE.</p><p> </p><p>

That said, I agree that Bully Ray has emerged as a great mid-to-top-card heel. His stuff is always watchable.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="lazorbeak" data-cite="lazorbeak" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25170" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><p> Honestly TNA needs to realize that a character only has a limited shelf-life. Guys like AJ, Joe, Abyss, etc., have done everything they're gonna do in this company. They've won every title, feuded with everyone, and as-is, they're not big enough "names" to work a reduced schedule or be an attraction match on their own. Maybe they go to Japan or WWE and struggle- worst case, they come back to TNA and they're in exactly the same position they're in now, but hopefully have a few new faces to work with.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Because when you home-grow your talent and make them stars, the next thing you should do is let them go so they can become even bigger stars somewhere else...</p>

Because when you home-grow your talent and make them stars, the next thing you should do is let them go so they can become even bigger stars somewhere else...

I'm honestly not sure if this is a joke post, but I'll bite.

Yes, when a guy has done everything in your territory to the point where he can't do anything else, he should move on. Particularly when the "stars" that TNA builds for at the PPVs tend to be guys like Sting, Kurt Angle, Jeff Hardy, and Hulk Hogan. What is the benefit for AJ Styles as a performer to be wrestling Chris Daniels for the umpteenth time? On TNA's side, what new stories can you tell with guys that are doing rehashes of their own work from 5-8 years ago? At a certain point they are taking up a spot without adding anything new creatively, and on the personal side they are treading water because no matter what, AJ Styles can't get bigger than a Jeff Hardy in terms of exposure as long as he's in a tiny pond. So it's damaging to both the performer and their creativity and the company they're in, who get diminishing returns from a completely known quantity. It's why, back when there was a territory system, guys would cycle in and out of them, not just stay in the same place for 8 years- even in WWF, it's the incredibly rare performer that sticks around for 8 years, and they have a global presence and the ability to make stars. Jeff Hardy is actually a great example of how this can still work. When he left WWE the first time they clearly didn't know what to do with a guy that couldn't talk, wasn't big, and had been doing the same character for four years, and he stopped being motivated. He goes around ROH and TNA, where he's not immediately hailed as a "top guy" because he was never seen as one in WWE, then goes back after a few years and becomes a far bigger star. Heck, even his initial heel turn in TNA was an interesting new direction that kept him as a property relatively fresh- if not for his drug issues, it would've totally made sense to give him the belt.

But it's better for the company's exposure in every way to let a guy like AJ go someplace else. I mean not only are you not paying them and freeing a spot in your roster, you're getting free publicity from them appearing elsewhere, plus you own all the work they did in your company. Because they're not 'stars' in terms of drawing power based entirely on the fact that they've only appeared on a company that doesn't draw.

I think you severely underestimate both TNA and AJ Styles.

TNA isn't some small company that doesn't draw. Its the 2nd biggest wrestling company in America. It's the only company outside of the WWE that can afford to take on prolonged tours outside of the US.

And AJ Styles I would argue IS TNA. If I was told to tell you the 1st person that came to mind when I heard the name TNA, Styles would be it. And I would also argue that he is the 1 guy that they need more than anyone else. He has been the top guy in the early days. He has been the workhorse of the X Division when it was JUST as popular as the World Title picture. Then he went to the forefront of the main event again, even going as far as being #1 in the PWI 500 in 2010. At this moment, he isn't in the Title picture. But this isn't anything bad on his side. They are giving some new faces some main event time. People like Storm and Roode who DESERVE it. People who have come up in the company just like Styles from the ground up. People who earned their spot and shouldn't be tossed aside like you would have them be.

I won't change your mind, but now at least you know I am serious about this.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Rone Rivendale" data-cite="Rone Rivendale" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25170" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I think you severely underestimate both TNA and AJ Styles. <p> </p><p> TNA isn't some small company that doesn't draw. Its the 2nd biggest wrestling company in America. It's the only company outside of the WWE that can afford to take on prolonged tours outside of the US.</p><p> </p><p> And AJ Styles I would argue IS TNA. If I was told to tell you the 1st person that came to mind when I heard the name TNA, Styles would be it. And I would also argue that he is the 1 guy that they need more than anyone else. He has been the top guy in the early days. He has been the workhorse of the X Division when it was JUST as popular as the World Title picture. Then he went to the forefront of the main event again, even going as far as being #1 in the PWI 500 in 2010. At this moment, he isn't in the Title picture. But this isn't anything bad on his side. They are giving some new faces some main event time. People like Storm and Roode who DESERVE it. People who have come up in the company just like Styles from the ground up. People who earned their spot and shouldn't be tossed aside like you would have them be.</p><p> </p><p> I won't change your mind, but now at least you know I am serious about this.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> It's like you are halfway understanding my point- I agree Storm and Roode deserve a shot. That's why I'm saying what's best for everyone would be to let the guy move on without moving down the card- he's not a big enough deal to be an attraction in of himself, and to be just "one of the guys" after being the face of the promotion hurts his long-term value. But demoting Styles or putting him in re-run feuds doesn't increase business, isn't doing anything new creatively, and takes up a spot that could go to somebody else who, in your words, DESERVEs it. </p><p> </p><p> What I'm saying that you're not getting is that there is a creative shelf-life to a guy like AJ Styles, and TNA has basically run the well dry. I think that's true of a lot of TNA's roster, too. Matt Morgan was challenging Kurt Angle in what, 2009, and still hasn't ever won the belt? Either give him the ball or replace him with another big monster guy.</p><p> </p><p> The point is, change is what's good for the business, and TNA lets itself get creatively stagnant by keeping these guys floating around the roster after they've run out of stories for them. I mean AJ had worked his way up the card, had won every title, and main evented with Kurt Angle two years ago on the biggest show TNA puts on. Now he's engaged in a repeat of a feud with Christopher Daniels. My point is it's better to just move on then to move backwards. Maybe he WAS TNA, but clearly he isn't right now.</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Wrestling Century" data-cite="Wrestling Century" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25170" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>So lazorbeak, you would rather have TNA keep the old WWE rejects and let go of their homegrown talent? Because I would personally rather have it the other way around.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Where did I say anything approaching this? I said they need to let go of stale talent. That includes WWE rejects that don't draw and have been doing nothing new creatively. Look at Austin Aries- he's a TNA alum, but he's doing something fresh and the crowd is behind him, he hasn't worked with everyone on the roster, and he's doing work that has people interested. There's plenty of talented guys out there who aren't just a nostalgia act that TNA would have more spots for if they didn't devote so much television time to guys that haven't changed what they do at all since 2005 or earlier. And WWE being a 2, formerly 3-branded behemoth is going to run through a lot of guys that never scratch their potential, or that could've done far more. I mean some guy that worked on Smackdown or ECW 3-4 years ago may have plenty of creative stuff left in the tank. So the term "WWE rejects" is not really fair- some of TNA's biggest names worked in WWE at some point.</p>

TNA IMPACT WRESTLING ANNOUNCES EXCLUSIVE TRAINING PROGRAM AT OVW Focus On Development Key To TNA

NASHVILLE, TN (November 7, 2011)– TNA IMPACT WRESTLING announces that they are entering into an exclusive relationship with Ohio Valley Wrestling (OVW), effective immediately, as the official training and developmental facility for TNA's current and future stars of TNA IMPACT WRESLTING. Former wrestling star and OVW owner Danny Davis will work closely with TNA SVP of Programming and Talent Relations Bruce Prichard in the development of the talent through training, live events, and weekly television production allowing talent to explore every aspect of the business.

"OVW is the best of the best as far as training and nurturing potential superstars. Their track record speaks for itself. Whether looking to develop brand new talent or to fine tune existing talent, OVW has the talent and program to fit our needs." says TNA's Prichard. "TNA is providing developmental talent the opportunity to hone their craft in an environment that will allow them to grow and prosper."

TNA talent will be arriving soon at the facility to begin an extensive training program with the industry's leading experts. The program is akin to a college scholarship program where talent is provided a scholarship style agreement with TNA to learn the craft. The talent to attend the program is selected by TNA's Prichard and TNA officials who will be monitoring the progress of each wrestler at camp and the live events.

Great Move by TNA imo

TNA tried to do the old WCW business model without the ridiculous contracts. Which, in theory, would have worked... in 1997. Wrestling's changed. TV's changed. The economy has changed.

They have been trying to focus on using established talent to headline their PPVs and TV shows, which common sense would dictate is a good idea. The problem is, they took the "younger alternative" and buried them to promote this established talent which made the product look like WWE's uncool younger brother: A foul mouthed, desperate, second class citizen by comparison.

In a world where mainstream wrestling fans consider WWE to be the all-powerful wrestling provider, their "rejects" seem like a low-rate option. So while TNA tried to be "different" from a presentation stand point, it looked stale because of the talent they chose to promote.

It seems like now they are changing the philosophy a bit. Granted, it's not a reverse turn around. It's still a work in progress and I'm not saying they are completely revolutionizing pro wrestling or anything. But what I hope I'm seeing is what they should have done all along: use good, established talent to put over new talent and create something fresh.

Guys like Angle and Hardy are PPV main eventers. Use them to elevate your guys that CAN work and actually DO something different instead of telling me you're doing something different.

This is what I saw with the Roode/Storm/Angle storyline that's been playing out. I really loved Roode and Storms match the week before BFG. Brilliant in-ring storytelling. Angle has allowed both guys to look fantastic with him. This allows TNA fans to feel o.k. looking at one of those two guys as top-level talent. Since BFG, they've been trying to do some different things here and there. They still have a way to go, but if they continue to improve they will have an incredible product.

Samoa Joe, AJ, Beer Money, Hernandez,x-division, etc. are all doing things that WWE doesn't give you. They really are the key to TNA's success in my opinion.

IF TNA sticks to that, they can put a compelling product out there that appeals to people who are sick of PG-era WWE.

Hernandez isn't the future of anything. He's awful.

Future Bouncer at Jimmy's Bar -n- Grill maybe...

Where's Homicide anyway? He still in TNA? They should of kept him when LAX split...

Mexican American s***s...their big flag gimmick s***s...and Sarita (Sarah Stock) is Canadian...which to my knowledge is neither Mexican or American...

Just Saying

:D