Dana White Says Brock Lesnar Could Need Major Surgery

darthsiddus2

Sherdog.com is reporting that UFC President Dana White announced in a press conference today that Brock Lesnar may need major surgery stemming from his current case of diverticulitis. The following is an excerpt from the report: “They figured it out, so the question now is, he’s either going to need major surgery or he’s not and we won’t know for the next couple months,” said White.

White said he had no timetable for the 32-year-old champion’s return.

“It could be forever,” said White. “We won’t know for the next couple months, Obviously, I’m hoping that’s not the case, as I’m sure all of you are, but we’ll see what happens.”

see I knew it! that proves he had diverticulitis! just so everyone knows Brock CAN fight when they're done with the surgery. as I've said before he may just need to change his diet somewhat now. once he gets the surgery done Diverticulitis is gone.

<p>I still call this marketing at its finest. Its MMA's version of storylines.</p><p> </p><p>

The unstoppable champion, crippled with a career threatening injury, suffers surgeries and set backs along the way but fails to give up. Then, he is dethrowned when (he is stripped of the belt / an interim champion is crowned) and he vows to get his belt back. Culminating in the huge LESNAR RETURNS PPV!</p><p> </p><p>

Is he sick? yes. Does he need our thoughts? yes. Will he get better? Likely, and return to the UFC's biggest buyrate of all time.</p><p> </p><p>

EDIT: This is more true especially if you hear Dana talk about this, basically saying "he's done". But you have Lesnar's camp already revealing somewhat of a return schedule.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="MrCanada" data-cite="MrCanada" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25439" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I still call this marketing at its finest. Its MMA's version of storylines.<p> </p><p> The unstoppable champion, crippled with a career threatening injury, suffers surgeries and set backs along the way but fails to give up. Then, he is dethrowned when (he is stripped of the belt / an interim champion is crowned) and he vows to get his belt back. Culminating in the huge LESNAR RETURNS PPV!</p><p> </p><p> Is he sick? yes. Does he need our thoughts? yes. Will he get better? Likely, and return to the UFC's biggest buyrate of all time.</p><p> </p><p> EDIT: This is more true especially if you hear Dana talk about this, basically saying "he's done". But you have Lesnar's camp already revealing somewhat of a return schedule.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Thats pretty Heartless man, Brock does have a serious illness and could never fight again. And of course Brocks Camp is saying he'll be able to return to keep from giving up the title. </p><p> </p><p> Brock fought with a crippling illness, give the man his due, he's one of the baddest big men out their just for fighting with the illness for this long.</p>

If we are to believe everything that's come out. I'm with Mr. Canada on this one.

I remember reading that Lesnar has been fighting with this illness for over a year and was only fighting at like 60%.. It is a very serious thing especially when it's confirmed he has checked into major hospitals about this.. I'm pretty sure it's not a work. Dana is only commenting about this so much because he's become really close to Brock in the short amount of time that Brock has been with UFC. Dana is very good to his friends.. he's bailed Rampage out of jail for over $10,000 and done numerous things for other people and Brock is bringing him in so much revenue and buyrates. People are still saying that Lesnar is just a pro-wrestler and can't do MMA.. even though he has proved it, people are still gonna order the PPV's to watch him fight because they don't think he can actually do it.

I'm a big fan of Lesnar and more of Dana for his genuine hospitality towards his friends. I hope Lesnar gets better and dominates the **** out of the UFC when he returns.

Wait a second......that was lesner at 6o%? Holly unstopable fighter bat man He is dang near unstopable *unless your name is frank mier* i can't wait to see him at 100%

In all fairness Lesnar dominated that fight, and slipped up into a Leg Bar.. if you don't agree with me look at Mir's face compared to Lesnar's that fight. Mir was screwed up.

Ok so after looking on Fightline about this... here is what they have posted.. Full Story below..

The prognosis seems to be getting better each day for UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar. Things went from possibly never fighting again to waiting for the doctor’s to clear him before he can resume training.

Although there is no timetable for Lesnar’s return to the Octagon, Dana White did say that Lesnar will have his health re-evaluated in about a month. Until then, White won’t make any decisions on an interim championship bout between the winner of Cain Velasquez vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira against Shane Carwin.

“I’ve got to wait to see what happens with Brock, but it won’t be long,” White said.

However, White noted that Lesnar may still need major surgery in the coming months.

“The question now is, he’s either going to need major surgery or he’s not and we won’t know for the next couple months,” White stated.

As for when Lesnar may return, White reiterated his earlier statement, that Lesnar may not be returning.

"It could be forever,” said White when asked about when Lesnar may return. “We won’t know for the next couple months, Obviously, I’m hoping that’s not the case, as I’m sure all of you are, but we’ll see what happens.”

So it's not as bad as the subtext in the first post is leading on.

So he is either A)fine and needs a few month before he can start training again B) done with fighting all together or C) needing major surgery and we are back at step one.......

I do fell bad for the guy and the company as a whole. Lesner was a beast.....he was a guy that people love to see fight and he is also a guy that if marketed correcly people would love to see get destroyed. Lesner has a very mike tyson fell about him. You pay hoping someone can take him down, knowing full well that it is never going to happen but you don't want to miss it if it does. Lesner is what ufc needs to go up that level. While he might not be the ufc poster boy white wants he sure as heck will make him money. I really hope he does get back in the ring. He has a great future ahead of him.

just wondering, just say that lesnar is ok but takes a random amount of time off to heal would he get stripped of the title or do they just keep a itrim champion until brock fights him? i would think they strip him of the title for not defending it after so long if it took that long to get back. if they do strip him how long would it take to strip him of the title? also from the looks of it im lost with the #1 contendership position from what i've read is the shane carwin is getting knee surgery, nogirua (sp?) has another staph infection, cain's healthy and then u got the winner of the frank mir vs check kongo (sp?) match (didnt want to spoil the winnder). so i know shane is the #1 contender but just to say that they was moving on with the title either itrim or actual title who would be in the spot to fight shane or who ever is they going to put in the spot? from my point of view it would be shane vs cain then have a rematch of (winner of mir and kongo) vs nogirua for the #1 spot.

It's already been determined. If he needs surgery they'll create an interim title, if he does not then it'll be Carwin vs. Lesnar and no interim title will be created.

I'll edit in this safe prediction: If Brock needs the surgery we'll see Mir vs. Carwin/Nogueira vs. Cain match up for the Interim belt with Brock facing the winner as that'll take a little while. If Brock is ok and ready to return (which I have my own reasons for believing that he'll be back) we'll see Mir face off with the winner of Cain/Nogueira and the winner will earn a shot at Brock/Carwin.

if they do strip him how long would it take to strip him of the title?

About as long as it takes to get a press release out to say they've stripped him of the title :) It's the UFC's belt, there's no sanctioning body to worry about - If the UFC suddenly decided they wanted to recognise me as their welterweight champion then that makes me their welterweight champion!

also from the looks of it im lost with the #1 contendership position from what i've read is the shane carwin is getting knee surgery, nogirua (sp?) has another staph infection, cain's healthy and then u got the winner of the frank mir vs check kongo

Carwin is still pegged to fight Lesnar when he returns - he didn't actually have surgery on his knee in the end, he just rehabbed it. The word is that if everything goes to plan with Lesnar (i.e. no major surgery and a full recovery) then he'll fight Carwin in the summer in his return bout.

Velasquez is fighting Nogueira in Australia early next year. If Lesnar can't come back, it's possible that the winner of that fight could take on Carwin for an interim title in the summer.

My guess is that Mir will be matched up with the winner of Dos Santos vs Yvel a few months down the line as well, in a bout that will produce another title challenger.

I'll edit in this safe prediction: If Brock needs the surgery we'll see Mir vs. Carwin/Nogueira vs. Cain match up for the Interim belt with Brock facing the winner as that'll take a little while. If Brock is ok and ready to return (which I have my own reasons for believing that he'll be back) we'll see Mir face off with the winner of Cain/Nogueira and the winner will earn a shot at Brock/Carwin.

First of all I thought Frank had the MMA advantage in this fight. Kongo is a great fighter but Frank has been in the biggest fights of the UFC's history and a three round co-main event is just another day in the office for Frank.

I was surprised that he used his striking to set up his submission but I was not surprised he submitted Kongo. It is very hard to judge much of anything when a fighter wins so dominantly. My initial thoughts were how would Cain vs Mir look? Cain had trouble with Kongo and he is supposed to be one of the elite contenders. Will Nogerias experience be too much for Cain?

A win like Frank had last night surely propels him to share the top of the division with Nog, Cain and myself. If beating Kongo was enough to propel Cain to number two contender status, destroying Kongo might edge Cain out. What is more compelling is that Mir made it our of that fight injury free so not only is he at the top of the division he is likely ready to fight sooner then later.

The main question I am getting is would I fight Frank? The answer is easy YES. I am not a fighter who decides who he fights, I fight who I am told to fight. I like it that way, I am not trying to build a legacy I am trying to fight the best fighters in the World and determine where I fit in. Mir is a Multiple time Champion, who has been counted out more then Mike Tyson to only find himself right back at the top. He is a LEGEND of the sport and I would be honored to fight him.

My situation is this. When Brock was finally down and out with his illness UFC matchmaker Joe Silva said to rehab my injuries and get better. I am doing just that (no surgery was required) and fell as if I am getting better. I am sparring and grappling again which are the big steps in getting in fight shape for any of the top HWT's they put in front of me.

On February 11th my wife Lani is expecting our first child together, (I have a son we take care of) a girl named Lexi. This has been a tough pregnancy that has kept us on edge throughout the term. This is why I was unable to attend the fight with Cain in Australia that was offered.

In essence I have to fit into the UFC's plans. I am waiting to see what they have planned for the division and where I fit into the overall plans. I am getting better every day, training hard and I know my time will come.

Thanks to all the TeamCarwin members for all the support and love, it really makes the hard days that much easier. Thank you to my sponsors for believing in me and my family and taking care of us during these times of uncertainty.

Much respect to Frank Mir who displayed why he is one of the best HWT's ever.

-Shane

Well, my prediction looks pretty good with all things considered. Makes perfect sense both ways.

To update the health condition of UFC Heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar, Dana White said over the weekend that we'll find out in approximately a month whether UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar will need the major surgery to repair the ravages of the intestinal disease diverticulitis.

White claimed that if Lesnar does indeed need that operation that an interim UFC Heavyweight title would be created and given to someone while Lesnar continues to recover.

In the past, when interim champions are crowned, the linear champion returns and unifies the title with the interim champion in his first fight back.

As of now no fight is rumored for the interim title, if it were needed to be created, but Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Cain Velasquez on February 21st would be a good possibility.

Lesnar's trainer Greg Nelson told MMAWeekly.com last week that, "… he's walking around and moving around. He's not ready to jump into that cage, that's for sure at this point…. I'm not 100 percent sure right now [when he'll start training again]. We're not really pushing it right now. We're just letting things take their course so he can be 100-percent healthy when he starts to train. He'll probably start lifting weights to get his strength built up and do the exercise bike when he starts to get going, and shadowbox when he gets to feel better. But right now, he's just taking the time to properly heal."

A follow up I just read on http://www.wrestlinginc.com / http://www.fightline.com

Archived