The Official Movie Discussion Thread

Stennick

• 4 weeks later...
I am not sure how I feel about that new version of The Joker. Granted I do not read the comic books so I have no real sort of attachment to the character and I have no idea how he looks in the comics now. But I am not that crazy about this version. At least Heath Ledger looked liked the Joker that I am familiar with, this well this version looks more like Marilyn Manson.

I am not sure how I feel about that new version of The Joker. Granted I do not read the comic books so I have no real sort of attachment to the character and I have no idea how he looks in the comics now. But I am not that crazy about this version. At least Heath Ledger looked liked the Joker that I am familiar with, this well this version looks more like Marilyn Manson.

That's just mean! How can you say Marilyn Manson looks even similar to that Juggalo wannabe.

Source:

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/954/081/a7d.png

Speaking seriously, if they would drop all the tattoos except the tear drop, since that's the only one with any real meaning, it would look a lot better. Plus they can still keep the whole "This isn't paint, it's his skin." thing they've got going.

It's very Marilyn Manson-esque. Especially post-Golden Age of Grotesque Manson. If they were going for Juggalo, they'd spell "damaged" wrong on his forehead. It really does look like a thugged out Manson.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e322/VenomousPrime/normal_LWF_Promotional_34.jpghttp://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e322/VenomousPrime/marilynmansonpic.jpg

Aside from the stupid clipart jester skull and damaged on his forehead, I don't really mind the tattoos. Those two are so bad though that they're rage inducing.

Yeah I don't even think Leto is a bad choice, but that design is just too much of everything.

He's definitely not a bad choice. I read an interview where he talked about how he saw the Joker as a kind of Shakespearean character and a great challenge for his abilities. Leto clearly has a lot of respect for the original material, much like Ledger did, it's just too bad no one else got the memo that you don't have to imitate Nolan and/or Miller every time you do something Batman related.

I will reserve judgement until I see the performance for myself. All I can say is that they HAVE to do something different. The joker is a character that has been portrayed a lot of different ways in various mediums so I feel like if you're going to have that creative freedom... may as well use it.

But just because it's different doesn't mean it won't suck. So we'll see how it plays out.

So I watched Age of Ultron. The short version: impressive visual movie with lots of breath-taking action. Not as good a movie as the first one though, and it's pretty much just more of the same.

I'm pretty numb to the whole superhero special effects thing nowadays, so the visuals didn't do a whole lot for me. Still, I found it a perfectly fine movie to watch, but... Yeah. Not as good as the first.

I need to go back and rewatch the first Avengers, but my early reaction was that the Ultron was better than the first. Jeremy Renner finally had more than 5 lines and actually got a backstory, yay. Spader was so much better than Loki. Cheadle and Quicksilver were pretty good as scene stealers.

My top 5 MCU movies so far would be:

1. Winter Soldier

2. IM1

3. Guardians

4. Ultron

5. First Avenger (hopefully Ant-Man can push this one off the list)

Are there any movies worth seeing now btw? Aside from the 'superhero' movies. I never really liked those. Avengers was mediocre. The most hilarious segment is the climactic scene where they talk about shoarma and actually go have it in a snackbar after the credits. How deliciously random.

Last one I saw was Hobbit methinks. Maybe Lego Movie before that.

I need to go back and rewatch the first Avengers, but my early reaction was that the Ultron was better than the first. Jeremy Renner finally had more than 5 lines and actually got a backstory, yay. Spader was so much better than Loki. Cheadle and Quicksilver were pretty good as scene stealers.

I preferred Loki, but I found them both equally unthreatening and (at times) even incompetent. Both very much Joss Whedon villains. More likely to wisecrack than actually try to get some heat on the heroes.

I really liked the Hawkeye scenes. A nice counter-point to heroic destiny stuff.

My top 5 MCU movies.

1. Thor

2. Iron Man

3. Winter Soldier

4. Guardians

5. Avengers 1

Avengers was mediocre.

I felt the same way about the first Avengers movie as well. I can't remember if it was this site that I said I thought it was mediocre and somebody countered me by saying if it was mediocre then how come it drew so much at the box office. Basically saying that if all those people went to see it that meant it had to be good.

Which yeah not so much, I mean a lot of people loved Teen Mom, Jersey Shore and the Real Housewives shows but just because they have a lot of people watching them it doesn't mean they are good.

Now I have yet to see the new Avengers movie but I will end up seeing it just because I do like the individual movies with the characters in them. I think that might be the main problem with the original Avengers movie, they try to cram too many characters into one movie and it just does not seem to work (Granted Guardians of the Galaxy was very good and that had a lot of characters in it but they seemed to handle that one right.).

The individual Marvel movies tend to be good because they focus on the main character more.

I think that might be the main problem with the original Avengers movie, they try to cram too many characters into one movie and it just does not seem to work.

The sequel is much worse at that aspect, sadly. I think the first movie got the right balance, but I'm sad to say that it felt like AoU had too much "oh hey btw, look: we also have this character in our universe!". And it had too many scenes that served no other purpose than setting up future movies.

It's still a highly enjoyable movie, mind you. I just expected more.

Now I have yet to see the new Avengers movie but I will end up seeing it just because I do like the individual movies with the characters in them.

This is probably the reason of its succes. They build on the other movies and can therefore cut the crap on the character development.

Mediocre is maybe a little too harsh. The movie was fine, but I got caught in the hype all over the internet, and went to expect great things. In the end it was 'just good'. Basic action movie sh/t. The fact that I can't recall anything but the shoarma talk says enough. Moving on.

Well I finally got to see the Avengers movie. I thought it was good but nothing great.

I do find it funny how I kept on thinking of the Blacklist every time Ultron would speak. His dialogue was almost exactly what you would expect Red Reddington to say. I guess James Spader only knows how to play a character one way and that is with a hint of camp.

• 1 month later...

http://fantasymovieleague.com/group/854/join?mp=8f986156876902596428add7ba85540e Hello all. I come here today to promote this movie fantasy league thing I stumbled upon recently. Basically, each film has a set value of what it's worth, and you have a budget of $1,000 to fill out your "cineplex". It's quite fun, and I have created a mini-league in it for us GDS'ers. The link is above, and if you need a password it's TEW. I encourage you to give this a shot, as it's a really fun time.

-Pack

• 3 weeks later...

<p>Inside Out- I saw this movie today at the Belleview Cinema with my mom and it was a fantastic movie. The story is about these five emotions Joy, Sadness, Fear, Disgust and Anger; they are in control of an 11 year old girl named Reily Anderson. They live a rather happy life together until they move to San Fransisco.</p><p> </p><p>

That's where things get complicated. You see; everyone seems to play a part, Joy tries to keep Reily happy, Fear keeps her from getting hurt, Disgust saves her from poisonous things or being low on the social pole, Anger makes everything fair....in his own special way and Sadness....well Joy doesn't know. The characters are all very special in their own way, not one of them is flat or unlikable; the ones who act the most villainous (although with good intentions) Anger and Disgust are also very hilarious and provide relief from the main plot.</p><p> </p><p>

Which we're surprisingly about to get to, Sadness doesn't know what her place in the headquarters is. One day she accidentally creates a new core memory on Reily's first day at school, making her cry while introducing herself to the class. Joy tries to stop Sadness and get rid of the core memory; but then the other core memories are knocked out, and when Sadness tries to get her's back, the two both end up getting sucked into....</p><p> </p><p>

Long Term Memory; I also would like to mention that there is a lot of world-building in Reily's mind. Which is important because it leads to more adventures, more possibilities and more friends. This is the case with Bing Bong, Reily's former imaginary friend. I personally found him to be sort of like Barney the Dinosaur, only zanier. Plus; he actually has other feelings other than Barney.</p><p> </p><p>

So the three go on an epic quest to get back to headquarters before it is too late. Along the way they go through Imagination Land, Cloud Town and Dream Productions. They also run from a clown named Jangles; bit a nitpick here but I personally feel that the evil clown stereotype has been a bit overused, there have been some good clowns I know like Ronald McDonald and Doink. But I digress.</p><p> </p><p>

Meanwhile, back in headquarters; the remaining three try to run Reily on their own, but it's no use. Remember when I said Anger was sort of a villain? Well, here's where that comes from. Anger comes up the plan for Reily to run away to Minnesota seeing as all the core memories came from there.</p><p> </p><p>

It's all a mad rush to get back and at one point; Joy was almost ready to give up when she (and Bing Bong) fall into the Memory Dump. It is there she realizes what Sadness's purpose is, letting people know that Reily needs help.</p><p> </p><p>

In the end (and thanks to a beautiful sacrifice by Bing Bong) Joy and Sadness make it back to Headquarters to stop Reily from running away, saving the day and Reily's sanity.</p><p> </p><p>

In a side note; I'd like to say that the animation was just beautiful. The animators wanted to make it like those 50s broadway musicals. Clearly they saw a lot of those as the characters and movements are very beautiful and at times very cartoony.</p><p> </p><p>

This is by far one of Pixar's best movies yet; it's sweet, it's got incredible animation and beautiful story telling and it broke Pixar's slump. I damn sure recommend you go watch this movie. It's a great movie and up there with the Lego Movie as my favorite animated movie of all time.</p><p> </p><p>

</p><div style="text-align:center;"><p><span style="font-size:8px;">Ratings for lazy people</span></p><p><span style="font-size:8px;">

Animation: 10/10</span></p><p><span style="font-size:8px;">

Characters: 9/10</span></p><p><span style="font-size:8px;">

Storytelling: 10/10</span></p><p><span style="font-size:8px;">

Overall Score: 9.5/10</span></p></div><p></p>

<p>I seen it today too...I like Pixar movies so we decided to see this one as our local theatre didn't have Ted 2.</p><p> </p><p>

I liked the movie a great deal, but for a kids movie it was kinda dark...I don't think I would have taken a kid to see it.</p><p> </p><p>

The nature of the movie was more teen-young adult themed, but a great movie for adults to watch too.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="moon_lit_tears" data-cite="moon_lit_tears" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25823" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I seen it today too...I like Pixar movies so we decided to see this one as our local theatre didn't have Ted 2.<p> </p><p> I liked the movie a great deal, but for a kids movie it was kinda dark...I don't think I would have taken a kid to see it.</p><p> </p><p> The nature of the movie was more teen-young adult themed, but a great movie for adults to watch too.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Most Pixar movies have an underlying teen-young adult theme.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Jaysin" data-cite="Jaysin" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25823" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Most Pixar movies have an underlying teen-young adult theme.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Yes, but most of a cutsie funny vibe to pull children in. This one...really did not.</p>