The Late Night Warz!

Stennick

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Msnbc.

thanks!

NBC has its way out of the Conan Crisis.

The network has agreed to pay O'Brien $30 million to vacate the 11:35 p.m. "Tonight Show," individuals involved in the negotiations have told TheWrap.

The deal, which may still be in the process of finalization, could be announced as early as Friday.

full article (its a lot longer): http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34886438/ns/entertainment-television/

This has played out better than any wrestling storyline in years. Its like how the Millionaire Club vs. The New Blood should have went with fans rallying behind the younger guys or guy in this situation.

Seriously if only television could ever truly capture the drama of real life. Whether its backstage wrestling gossip or Kimmel dismantling Leno on his own television show you can't beat real life drama.

That being said I'm really on nobody's side. I mean Conan is making 30 million not too mention he's most likely already set for life being in television for nearly 20 years now so I'm not exactly crying when Kimmel shouts "we have families". Come on the 30 mil severance isn't going to take care of Conan?

Anyway people are saying Kimmel may be the real winner with the rub he's getting for his public Leno bashing people may tune into him when Conan leaves. What I find funny is that I bet Leno's ratings are going to be the same as when he left. Nobody cares at the end of the day for some reason the public likes Leno and his boring jokes.

That being said I'm really on nobody's side. I mean Conan is making 30 million not too mention he's most likely already set for life being in television for nearly 20 years now so I'm not exactly crying when Kimmel shouts "we have families". Come on the 30 mil severance isn't going to take care of Conan?

I suspect that the "we have families" line is intended a shout out to everyone who works in late night who isn't a host. Each show has a ton of staff members, and Conan's moved to the other side of the country because they expected to be in for the long haul. They're the ones who are going to suffer out of all of this.

Leno and Letterman suck IMO (at getting me to laugh which is there purpose). I prefer Conan over both of them. That said all three of there shows if watched I am a sleep with the TV on in the morning. However as stated by Canada and someone else, when it comes to late night funny men Craig Ferguson is it. I watch his show I am still up at the end and I laugh through out. The worst of the worst IMO is Fallon. Just terrible.

I have never enjoyed Letterman, Ferguson, or Kimmel. Jay doesn't have those laugh out loud dying of humor jokes, but a lot of his sketches like Headlines and 99 cent store products were good. His monolouge was fairly consistent, again, nothing too risque but still quality. Where he excelled was with his interviews and how he connnected with the person sitting in the chair.

NBC made a crucial error like they have been doing for near a decade now. They are concerned with the present instead of the future. Letterman won't be going on for too much longer (in perspective) and most likely neither will Leno although it's possible. Sure, Conan wasn't getting the expected ratings, but a majority of Leno viewers aren't the same as Conan --- but Conan's HUGE young fan case will soon grow to mature adults and he would of course then be the number one. It's a difference in styles and it should have been known a lot of Leno's audience wouldn't like Conan's style.

Just my two cents.

Right. Be was also a backstabbing douche when NBC was looking for a host after Carson retired. The bad feelings for Jay among other comedians goes back years (and years..there was also some bad blood at the Comedy Store in the 70s)

Let's also keep in mind..Jays show at 10 was tanking. This horrible lead in meant that all NBC affiliates were getting terrible lead ins for the local news, which eventually turned into a terrible lead in for Conan.

Plus, with both shows based out of LA, Leno was tanking despite getting all the hottest guests.

So NBC decided to take a guy who failed epically at 10 and move him to 1130 to replace another guy who was struggling. They look stupid because they put both guys in bad situations, and now a dealing with a PR sh*tstorm they created in order to fix it.

Meanwhile, Conan is hotter than ever and will probably be given an epic build up before his show premieres on Fox this fall (because there's no way the legal broken contract stuff gets ironed out before then)

Actually, Leno has been having a difficult time getting the kind of guests he was getting when he was on The Tonight Show, because rival networks are discouraging their stars from appearing on his show. If his show succeeds, other networks may make the move to have a similar show in that time slot, putting roughly 5 shows out of business for that network alone. That's a lot of staff.

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/oct/01/business/fi-ct-leno1

NBC sucks balls.

Sure Conan is gonna get 30 mil but what about all the staff that moved out to the West Coast, the band, etc etc.....

I'm with CoCo!

They will end up on FOX with CoCo. Though does anyone know how long (if at all) the payout says CoCo can't do another show?

NBC was trying to make it three years thus killing any momentum that Conan would have and any risk to being a rival to Jay.

However I would imagine that they will settle on an immediate release from the company.

The problem there in lies that NBC is said to be picking up whatever he doesn't get from another deal. Say Fox pays him 20 mil then NBC picks up the extra 10 mil so really its kind of strange that another network would get him as close to free as possible for something of this magnitude.

Again at this point its all rumors and speculation who knows what the final deal will be. I think if Conan has to wait any kind of real time at all in this release deal then its going to be all for nothing. In a year nobody will care about this strike with the proverbial iron is hot.

NBC was trying to make it three years thus killing any momentum that Conan would have and any risk to being a rival to Jay.

However I would imagine that they will settle on an immediate release from the company.

The problem there in lies that NBC is said to be picking up whatever he doesn't get from another deal. Say Fox pays him 20 mil then NBC picks up the extra 10 mil so really its kind of strange that another network would get him as close to free as possible for something of this magnitude.

Again at this point its all rumors and speculation who knows what the final deal will be. I think if Conan has to wait any kind of real time at all in this release deal then its going to be all for nothing. In a year nobody will care about this strike with the proverbial iron is hot.

Even if it is an immediate release odds are he still wouldn't be on til fall (maybe summer).

Another network "officially rumored" (I have a trademark on that phrase) to be interested in Conan

Conan

O'Brien's release from NBC has not been officially confirmed, but there are already a couple of networks throwing their names into the hat. Fox had previously made it clear they would be interested in him, and now FX is interested too, according to reports.

Given that FX is s subsidiary of Fox, the bigger network would likely have first refusal on Conan.

Credit: The Wrap

Yeah I was gonna say if he's gonna do F/X he might as well do FOX. If I was him I wouldn't go to just some random Cable Station. If he's going after Cable money then why not Comedy Central. At this point I would be shocked if he doesn't wind up on FOX. CBS is a no, ABC would be tough without effecting Jimmy which would then be ironic so that leaves FOX really. If he went to a Cable Station not named Comedy Central 1. nobody's gonna watch and 2 he's going to look like a chump.

Ever since the situation between Jay Leno and Conan O'Brien exploded, ratings for The Tonight Show have increased significantly. Friday's show saw a 50% increase. Conan's

manager Gavin Polone had this to say:

"People who never watched Conan before are saying, 'I'll try it. Now they're saying, 'This is good, I'll stick with it."'

Negotiations regarding Conan's departure from NBC are currently looking at who retains control of the characters he created, such as Triumph the Insult Comedy Dog, Pimpbot 5000 and the Masturbating Bear. Conan wants to take them with him, but NBC will likely require some other concessions for that to happen.

Credit: TMZ

Wonder what Jay's numbers are like. Would be funny if Conan leaves, starts a successful show on Fox, and in 7 months time, The Tonight Show is in the dumps with rumors of Jimmy Fallon taking over.

Yeah I was gonna say if he's gonna do F/X he might as well do FOX. If I was him I wouldn't go to just some random Cable Station. If he's going after Cable money then why not Comedy Central. At this point I would be shocked if he doesn't wind up on FOX. CBS is a no, ABC would be tough without effecting Jimmy which would then be ironic so that leaves FOX really. If he went to a Cable Station not named Comedy Central 1. nobody's gonna watch and 2 he's going to look like a chump.

FX is a rising star in cable programming right now. If Conan went to FX and was programmed against USA's late night, things might start to get interesting.

Archived