Official NFL Discussion Thread

Stennick

It's two weeks into the season. Hell, Jay Cutler is still alive despite the hellacious beatings he's taken. Heck, if you just consider stats, Cam Newton is as good as Tom Brady (the rook has had two good games so he must be HOF bound, right???).

Rex will revert to the bonehead he is soon enough.

But I love how people are making much ado about players "faking" injuries to slow the game down. Hi, welcome to 1985. Why is this news? Coaches teach this at all levels of play. Hell, our strat in HS was, after 5 plays in the hurry up, Stinson (dime corner) was to grab something and writhe for a couple seconds. While he's being attended to, we're substituting and scoping out the offense's personnel. Most teams in college have done it (especially when facing a run & shoot type team like Houston was or those straight up spread attacks that are so commonplace now), even though the coaches don't officially sanction it (they can't without fear of reprisal).

My HS school didn't do that. In fact, we got pulled or otherwise punished for doing anything dishonarable. Heck, if we got caught talking trash on the field it'd be enough. Didn't stop us from winning state. :cool:

I'll be honest: it is douchey. I don't care if it's "done at all levels by some teams", it's still low. Fact is, not every team does it and "some other guys do it, too" isn't justification for it, and I have zero respect for anyone has to resort essentially to lying in order to either circumvent using time outs or stopping the no huddle when they have none. It's a football equivalent of using the ropes for leverage.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it's been two weeks, but the fact is for these two weeks the numbers have been good. Later yeah maybe hex won't be, but right now what was, or what will be doesn't matter.

It's a new season. Anything is possible.

Its the same thing I told my brother last night. We got into a fight over fantasy football. He says his team is better. Maybe so, but I'm 2-0 to his 0--2. He says match ups. He's right. You can claim any team/player is the best. If he has a bad game guess what? He loses.

By saying it's only week two holds no standard.

Personally, I like Rex this year, and I think Ratface knew what he was doing when he started him towards the end of last year. Thought about picking him up in my fantasy league (not the 8 man abomination/GDS "second" league that I'm technically in but am refusing to play... I'm starting my own league here next season, you can mark it down), and I'm starting to really regret that I didn't. After three weeks, he still looks pretty solid. Not fantastic, not HoF material, but solid. Much rather have him on a real NFL team starting than Alex Smith or Tavaris Jackson. Redskins still should be on the lookout for their next QB, but until then I think Grossman will be more than adequate.

On a side note... I thought the Bills would be competitive this year. I had no doubt they were a better team this season than they were last and would surprise a few folks. I did NOT think they'd be good enough to make a successful comeback win against the Patriots this early in the season! Just wow, heck of a game. Ryan Fitzpatrick is looking like a geniunely NFL quality QB, Fred Jackson looks to be on his way to establishing himself as one of the premier backs in the league if he keeps up anything close to the pace he's on, and the entire recieving corp just looks silly. Wonder where all those people who thought Stevie Johnson was a one-hit wonder are now? I said he was the real deal (based on his attitude toward the game, along with his obvious on-field talents), and he's starting to look that way. Glad I was on the Bills bandwagon early (not only does it stroke my football ego, but it's why I drafted Fred Jackson in my FFB league!)

Dallas won last night so I'm good right now

Even if they scored with just field goals lol

But a win is a Win!!! Don't know who they got next week but I hope Dallas has their number and we can have another win!!!!!

Dallas is Rubbish..:).

C-bot I'm in. :p. If you do ESPN has a nice set up.

I love Rex. Everyone was pissed he started over Beck, but honestly I'm happy.

Really wish Vick would stop being a crybaby....

Dallas is Rubbish..:).

C-bot I'm in. :p. If you do ESPN has a nice set up.

I love Rex. Everyone was pissed he started over Beck, but honestly I'm happy.

Honestly, I don't get the thought process of Beck over Grossman. Beck's only real playing time in the regular season was back with the Dolphins in their abysmal 2007 campaign, and like the rest of the Dolphins he sucked pretty hard then. A rookie Chad Henne and noodle-armed and ailing Chad Pennington both passed him on the depth chart the next year.

Grossman may be wildly sporadic, but he has shown a few flashes and flares of something. He did put up a few silly numbers games with Chicago and played well enough here in Houston to make Kubiak abandon his plans to only carry two QBs. If I had to choose between journeyman veteranish QBs, I'd rather go with the guy who has won games and passed for over 300 yards in a few games, rather than the guy who has never won in any of his starts and (just to drive home some of the loss is on his shoulders) has never reached 200 yards in a regular season game. Beck strikes me as a safe back-up as in he seems to have good ball control... but that's about it. If Shanahan can keep curbing Grossman's desires to just bomb it every single down, I think he's a more than manageable QB (and so far, that seems to be the case).

Grossman's problem is he sometimes doesn't realize you can convert a 3rd & 4 with a four yard pass instead of a 40 yard pass... and it doesn't matter how deep of a pass it is, double coverage is still double coverage. As Remmy put it, the guy is a bit boneheaded at times. Still, would much rather have him tossing the rock than John Beck.

I agree. He's not the best, but he's far from the worst.

I'm just glad he doesn't cry like Brady and Vick.

I'd really love to see a younger QB with overall better control than Rex, but the guy has proven to me he can get the job done. I know it's only been 3 games but that's no matter. It's like I tell my brother. It doesn't say they won because it's only week 2.

My HS school didn't do that. In fact, we got pulled or otherwise punished for doing anything dishonarable. Heck, if we got caught talking trash on the field it'd be enough. Didn't stop us from winning state. :cool:

*shrug* If I played for your coach....I wouldn't play, to be honest. Everything we did was within the rules (Hart Attack was kinda pushing it though), we yapped incessantly ("Hey QB, throw it over here. I've got a date in the end zone. Don't wanna be late!"), but we also hit like a ghetto team is expected to (playing like your next meal depended on it, was how my coach put it). But then, my coach was really old school (from the Chuck Bednarik school) and us defensive backs were taught to play very much like Mel Blount & Jack Tatum ("Let that receiver know you're there." "Don't hit your target, hit THROUGH your target"). Heck, most of the film we watched was of those old 60s and 70s defenses (and Mouse Davis's offenses).

Vick has every right to be upset. He's absolutely right in that the pocket passers get A LOT more calls than he does (even when he doesn't run). The only way Vick would get a roughing call is if the Eagles were playing Pittsburgh. Go look at the Panthers Week 1 game. Cam Newton got hammered well after he released the ball a few times that I counted. No call. If he's Matt Cassel or Joe Flacco or Matt Ryan, he gets yellow hankies for his trouble, more often than not. Ben Roethlisberger doesn't get those calls either (for obvious reasons).

I get Vick, but why Brady?

Wasn't he the one who has been crying about just getting touched????

No, Brady's knee injury led to what's known as "the Brady rule" which states that you can't dive or lunge at a QB's legs unless you're pushed (and it has to be a REALLY blatant push). Brady didn't cry about it. He questioned the legality of a defender intentionally attacking a quarterback's most vulnerable area at his most vulnerable time (after throwing a pass when the lead foot is supporting most of the body weight due to the follow through). I don't necessarily agree with the rule (another rule to protect the china dolls?) but I see his point. If you hit a kicker during or after their follow through, it's a penalty (similar situation, most vulnerable with your weight on ONE leg/foot).

Vick has every right to be upset. He's absolutely right in that the pocket passers get A LOT more calls than he does (even when he doesn't run). The only way Vick would get a roughing call is if the Eagles were playing Pittsburgh. Go look at the Panthers Week 1 game. Cam Newton got hammered well after he released the ball a few times that I counted. No call. If he's Matt Cassel or Joe Flacco or Matt Ryan, he gets yellow hankies for his trouble, more often than not. Ben Roethlisberger doesn't get those calls either (for obvious reasons).

Sorry but that's wrong. Vick has five personal fouls drawn and if I am correct that is 2nd place among other QB's. Vick might have a right to complain about that call, but that's something you take up with the league and don't go out and blast the officials to a camera. My thought process would be, well if they aren't calling them don't call them out in an interview.

Oh and that stat dates back to the first game last year so you know. If I am right he hasn't played as much as the others and this is also a guy who couldn't play throw a football because his non-throwing hand was broken (sorry bruised)

Out of curiosity, what school did you play for, Comrade? I played for the good ol Calhoun Sandcrabs in high school.

North Shore Mustangs. Actually have a championship ring lying around somewhere from our 5A Division 1 awesomeness back in 2003 (I was a Junior... dang I'm getting old).

And now, years later, I have on my fantasy team one Danny Amendola: who was on the losing team that day. Then again, I haven't played so much as a game with friends since high school and Amendola is getting rich in the NFL, so... yeah, haha. Guess he won out.

Sorry but that's wrong. Vick has five personal fouls drawn and if I am correct that is 2nd place among other QB's.

Oh and that stat dates back to the first game last year so you know. If I am right he hasn't played as much as the others and this is also a guy who couldn't play throw a football because his non-throwing hand was broken (sorry bruised)

That is the difference between "watching tape" and just coming up with cold, hard, undeniable facts. Gaitor and Lazor are the two guys I go to most for cold, un emotional, completely rational facts. Way to bring it Gator.

Sometimes when we watch the games it "feels" a certain way but when you go back and look at the numbers it tells a different story.

That is the difference between "watching tape" and just coming up with cold, hard, undeniable facts. Gaitor and Lazor are the two guys I go to most for cold, un emotional, completely rational facts. Way to bring it Gator.

Sometimes when we watch the games it "feels" a certain way but when you go back and look at the numbers it tells a different story.

Every QB gets hit late at some point, hell for that matter a lot of people get hit late. The NFL is about drama and with late hits not being called and being called they add drama to the game. Refs are not always going to be 100% which is what helps make the game exciting. Which players and teams overcome these bad calls or no calls and which don't

I would just like to say The Bengals have the number 1 Def in the NFL right now. Steelers are Number 2 Raven are Number 3 and Browns are Number 9. The AFC north is hard to move the ball on

In all fairness, the Bengals have played three of the worst offenses in the league (San Francisco, Cleveland, Denver).

Still, they did good against the Bills. I'd say of the AFC North Teams, the Ravens will be the ones still hanging around the top when the season draws to a close.

Oh, and Texans are tenth in both offense and defense right now. :cool:

In all fairness, the Bengals have played three of the worst offenses in the league (San Francisco, Cleveland, Denver).

Still, they did good against the Bills. I'd say of the AFC North Teams, the Ravens will be the ones still hanging around the top when the season draws to a close.

Oh, and Texans are tenth in both offense and defense right now. :cool:

I hate the Ravens.

Still watching the Skins do well! :p

Al Davis has passed away at 82. Although there is a ton of jokes in recent years due to him firing coaches seemingly every year (even good ones) and his seemingly awful draft choices. Lets not forget that the AFL/NFL merger, The Super Bowl, John Madden he had influence on all of these historic things. His son will be taking over ownership of the team although its said he's not a football guy so we'll see.

Al Davis has passed away at 82. Although there is a ton of jokes in recent years due to him firing coaches seemingly every year (even good ones) and his seemingly awful draft choices. Lets not forget that the AFL/NFL merger, The Super Bowl, John Madden he had influence on all of these historic things. His son will be taking over ownership of the team although its said he's not a football guy so we'll see.

Good thing is he doesn't have to be, he just needs to hire people who are good football guys.

Good thing is he doesn't have to be, he just needs to hire people who are good football guys.

Agreed. If his dad would have done this in recent years then they wouldn't have had to dig out of a pretty big hole that they are coming out of now it looks like. There's no doubt Davis was an all-time great owner and a great football mind in his time, but if he wouldn't have trusted the people he hired in the past 10-15 years to do their jobs then the Raiders would be a lot better off when he passed. The man always did what he thought would be best for the Raiders fans though so you can't put him down for that.

I'll hold off most of my thoughts on Al Davis...

But still a shame about him. He was an iconic part of the NFL, that much cannot be denied, and it'll never be quite the same again without him.

Still no clue why he fired Tom Cable... Cable is a jackass, but he was the one finally righting the Raider's ship.