Official NFL Discussion Thread

Stennick

Just saw Mario Williams might be done for the year.

Someday, the Texans will go an entire season without most of their star players getting seriously injured.

Someday.

Absolute shame, too... he was really starting to look like he was getting comfortable as an OLB and was looking once again like one of the most dominant defenders in the league. :(

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the Ravens had ladies day today.

They had autograph signings. Like 4 somewhat big names. I only knew two. Nokamora? I don't know how you spell it, and Lee Evans.

You could only choose one time to get an autograph. I chose Evans. The other guy the rest of my group chose (besides my girl Kristina). Well two of the four *big* names didn't show up. My group was mad. Evans was there! I got a picture with him, plus I got to see Ray Rice shirtless!.

The best part was actually being on the field. Standing in the end zone was fantastic. My all time favorite part though was attempting to kick a field goal!!

I'm still not a ravens fan by any means, but I'm starting to warm up to them.

Just saw Mario Williams might be done for the year.

Someday, the Texans will go an entire season without most of their star players getting seriously injured.

Someday.

Absolute shame, too... he was really starting to look like he was getting comfortable as an OLB and was looking once again like one of the most dominant defenders in the league. :(

I think it's the same injury that hit Elvis Dumervil too -- torn pectoral muscle.

So I was sitting with a friend watching the Raider game and he made one crack about Al Davis. At the end of the game Hue Jackson was sitting on the sideline crying, my friend (7 beers in mind you) goes "Man, that'd be sweet if it wasn't for the fact he's crying because he gets to keep his job for longer then a year"

Also is Tebow ready for the starting position. I know Remi will chime in with this one because he's a Bronco fan, but I think this is the Bronco's best choice. You spent a 1st rounder on him and not just Luck but a very talent crop of QB is coming out. I say let Tebow show you if he was worth it and if he wasn't you still have a football player who is willing to do anything to help a team.

Also I see a QB is college that I think could be better then Andrew Luck.... Landry Jones.

Last thing, I know the perfect team for Landry Jones...... Dallas Cowboys, serious, Landry Jones, Tom Landry, Jerry Jones............. yeah

I'm a Bronco fan. Tebow *has* been announced as the starter.

I'm all in favor of this move since:

1) They need to find out what they have in Tebow, if he's someone that can be built around on or not

2) He's the only QB currently under contract for next season

3) There's a good crop of QBs next year coming out

4) He produces points. For example, in the last game, with game prep not suited to accommodate him, he outscored Orton 14-3. We want to know how he performs when teams *are* gameplanning for him. Now if those points translate to wins this season, we don't know yet.

5) John Fox keeps talking about wanting a "gamer" and having someone to provide a "spark." Tebow does that; he lifts the team to perform. Tebow has the attributes of being a leader, not just in pumping up the offense, but also the defense. He looks like he cares about the game, and will give full effort to win. Orton played scared and defeated. Perhaps the fan sentiment got the best of him, and the results are there on the field. Purportedly he's a game manager, but he couldn't even do that anymore. If you're just going through the motions, what's the point?

Really though, I would've been in favor of Quinn over Orton as well, but he's off taking care of Alicia Sacramone. Just please, no more Orton. We know what he is.

It's about finding out what they have in the QB position. Orton wasn't it. Bring on Tebow.

MY BODY IS READY.

I love the trade. Palmer is still a great Quarterback. He threw for nearly 4,000 yards last year, 6th in the NFL. The Raiders are a running team, but Palmer is still a threat throwing the football, and will make the team better.

He's really not a great quarterback. He threw for a lot of yards last year, but he also threw the third most picks. His QB rating was 19th in the league. If you look at the more advanced stats at Football Outsiders, he was ranked 10th and 18th there. And that was his best season since 2007.

At this point. he's probably a slightly above average QB, he's about to turn 32 and he hasn't practiced with a team in almost a year, let alone played in an actual game, and the Raiders are giving up at least a 1st and 2nd for him? That's crazy. Totally I-can't-believe-it crazy.

Drew Brees threw more picks than he did. Every QB in the league throws interceptions - except Tom Brady :p - so that's really unfair.

They're giving up a good amount, yes, but he's still a far better option than Terrelle Pryor or Kyle Boller. Besides, they have a history of picking the wrong guys in the first round. Palmer is less of a gamble than anyone they could have taken in the draft. Then again, next year's class is loaded with talent at QB. Maybe someone like Matt Barkley falls to the second round.

I mentioned interceptions as kind of a nod to the way you cherry-picked Palmer's total yardage stat. The more relevant stats are those that measure overall performance, which is why I mentioned stats like QB rating and the two used by Football Outsiders. There's literally no case to be made that Carson Palmer has been a great QB since maybe 2007.

And don't count on one of those QBs falling in the draft. Unless one falls to the fifth round, the Raiders aren't drafting him. That's when their first pick is. They've used this year's first-, third-, and fourth-round picks and next year's second-round pick on QBs and they still aren't even close to having a QB of the future (or present, really).

And yes, Palmer is better than Terrelle Pryor or Kyle Boller, but that's not a high bar to clear, and it's silly to give up so much just to barely clear that bar.

NFL rules state that if Cincinatti doesn't release or trade Palmer this year...he will be a free agent next season...why why why why why would the Raiders trade two first round picks for Palmer?

Guess it's better than your whole draft for Ricky Williams...barely

Oh well, as a Steelers fan I can be comforted by the fact the Bengals will screw up the picks as bad as the Raiders would have :D

(Edit: As I type this, ESPN is reporting that the Raiders have acquired Palmer from the Bengals)

No question but that Palmer is an upgrade over Boller and company, but it's ridiculous that Oakland gave up 1 and potentially 2 first round picks for a 32 year old with injury problems who is, at best, a mid-level starter. The Bengals were 4-12 last season in part thanks to his 20 interceptions and his inability to make plays when the defense was in coverage. Obviously he'll have more help with the offense in Oakland than last year's Cincinatti squad, but I saw first-hand what a QB with an arm can do if he's not prepared when Kerry Collins embarrassed himself against the Texans. They've got the Chiefs and then a bye, but that's still a very short time to do much with the offense, especially for a guy that hasn't even been practicing with a team all year.

And it's not like there weren't other options or better deals around. Kyle Orton probably could've been traded for Oakland for a couple of pizzas and a beer. Matt Leinart, Tyler Thigpen, Derek Anderson, even Vince Young have experience as starters and likely wouldn't be asking for as much as the Raiders are giving up for Palmer. Plus, none of them have had career-shortening injuries or are in their 30's.

NFL rules state that if Cincinatti doesn't release or trade Palmer this year...he will be a free agent next season...why why why why why would the Raiders trade two first round picks for Palmer?

Guess it's better than your whole draft for Ricky Williams...barely

Oh well, as a Steelers fan I can be comforted by the fact the Bengals will screw up the picks as bad as the Raiders would have :D

(Edit: As I type this, ESPN is reporting that the Raiders have acquired Palmer from the Bengals)

Have you seen last three drafts we have had one of top drafts for the last three years. We had some really greats and that is mostly because Mike Brown isn't picking the guys anymore he is letting the coaches pick the people that will fit our system. That is why we are 4-2 and have the number 2 defense this year. an the picks with got Chad. and the pick we might get for JJ. We can improve our O-line get a stud CB and RB and we will be one of the most feared teams in the NFL

Have you seen last three drafts we have had one of top drafts for the last three years. We had some really greats and that is mostly because Mike Brown isn't picking the guys anymore he is letting the coaches pick the people that will fit our system. That is why we are 4-2 and have the number 2 defense this year. an the picks with got Chad. and the pick we might get for JJ. We can improve our O-line get a stud CB and RB and we will be one of the most feared teams in the NFL

What position do you play?

You're delusional if you think you're one draft away from being "feared". Take a look at who's in your division. Do you really think you're just one draft away from being better than those teams? By the end of the season you're looking at third place and your defense won't be in the top five maybe not in the top ten by the end of the year. Don't get excited when we're not even out of October yet and it sounds like you're saying you're just a RB, a CB and an Oline away from getting to the Super Bowl. Every team is just that ONE player away. You're a Bengal its not happening. I would have figured Bengals fans would have accepted their place in the league long ago.

You're delusional if you think you're one draft away from being "feared". Take a look at who's in your division. Do you really think you're just one draft away from being better than those teams? By the end of the season you're looking at third place and your defense won't be in the top five maybe not in the top ten by the end of the year. Don't get excited when we're not even out of October yet and it sounds like you're saying you're just a RB, a CB and an Oline away from getting to the Super Bowl. Every team is just that ONE player away. You're a Bengal its not happening. I would have figured Bengals fans would have accepted their place in the league long ago.

The Steelers and the Ravens Def are getting old alot of there Star Def players of 30+ years old on the bengals def only a few are over the age of 26. The bengals have one of the best and Deepest Def of lines in the NFL. When we are getting sacks and hits on the QB only rushing 4 i call that a great Def lines. The Steeler Def is getting weak they use to never let a person get a 100 years on them now they have lets a few in the last 2 years. Since Big Ben has been your QB every year you go to the Superbowl the then year you guys don't even make the playoffs.

Well Palmer played and did in fact remind me of Kerry Collins' week 1 humiliation with the Colts. He may be able to turn it around as the season goes on, but I'm guessing right now the Raiders are starting to get that buyer's remorse.

Also it's looking like the Texans will make the playoffs by default; remember when the AFC South had 3 competitive teams every year?

Holy cow, what a sports weekend here in St. Louis. First the Cardinals win the World Series, now the Rams pull out a win against the Saints. Everybody I talked to was just hoping not to get blown out. It is immediately obvious what Brandon Lloyd does for our offense, it just looked light years ahead of where it looked before we got him. Can't wait to see what happens when he and Bradford are in the lineup together. Hopefully the Rams can start to string a few wins together now that they are off the snide and their hellish schedule is behind them.