Official NFL Discussion Thread

Stennick

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Notes on the opener (from a disgruntled Packer fan):

- We (I'm a part-owner, I can say we :p ) beat ourselves. Not to say that Seattle didn't use their firepower and successfully beat us, but there were so many easy missed tackles and penalties that kept us out of reach.

- The referees sucked. Again, that wasn't the cause of the discrepancy, but there were some absurd calls that went the Seahawks' way and quite a few calls that they just flat out missed. But that's okay, like I said it wasn't the reason for the loss like last time.

- I hate Pete Carroll's face (just thought I'd throw this one in here :D )

- Brad Jones is not a starting-caliber NFL inside linebacker.

- Bryan Bulaga's injury hurts far worse than this loss does, if he re-tore his ACL. Derek Sherrod is horrible, as shown by him getting beat twice. What an absolute bust of a first rounder he was. Eddie Lacy's probable concussion sucks too.

- The Seahawks looked great, I can't take that away from them. I'm a big Marshawn fan so it was good to see him play well at the very least.

- Green Bay is so frustratingly on that 2nd tier of teams like the Patriots, Saints, Colts, etc when they could be on that top level with the Broncos, Seahawks, and 49ers with the amount of talent they have.

- HaHa looked decent, he's just gotta make a couple of more plays when he's got the chance. He was in the right spots and he's got good instincts, he's just gotta finish the tackles and interceptions when the opportunity is there.

I'm probably forgetting a couple of things, but you guys don't care about my Packers ramblings, so I'll just say happy football! :D

Go Pack Go! But as a fan, I can second this. It was frustrating to see the least seeing the Hawks basically making Green Bay their bi-ch.

• 2 weeks later...
I thought Lovie Smith teams were supposed to be able to play defense? The Bucs have just been a mess on both sides of the ball.

Yeah, I was thinking that too. Don't think Josh McCown or Mike Glennon is the answer at QB either, although the offensive line hasn't helped them much. But then again, Bucs are a team who build on defense because if you look other places then QB, Doug Martin is injured and Mike Evans hasn't been used enough. He has the intangibles he just needs a QB to target him 10/12 times a game and he will make plays and that's it really.

Falcons will be pretty good this year. Last year without their receiving core they had troubles. Now with Jones, White, Hester, Douglas and even Weems, they will be dangerous in the pass game. They won't win the NFC South though. The Panthers have that down IMO.

Glennon isn't bad. Totally capable of getting the ball to Jackson and Evans, which he needs to do. If they could develop a downfield game, or any passing game at all without turning the ball over, it should open up more opportunities for Martin/Rainey. They got embarrassed last night...a week after they lost to St. Louis :p

Glennon isn't bad. Totally capable of getting the ball to Jackson and Evans, which he needs to do. If they could develop a downfield game, or any passing game at all without turning the ball over, it should open up more opportunities for Martin/Rainey. They got embarrassed last night...a week after they lost to St. Louis :p

Oh no, I don't mean they are bad, like McCown can throw if he has good protection, which he hasn't got. and Glennon is pretty competent too. But that's it they are compentent. If you have a guy like that at QB you ned other guys to step up.

It's like the Bengals, Andy Dalton isn't a Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Aaron Rogers or Drew Brees. But he has a great defense, some solid receivers (threw for 252 yards and that's without AJ Green and Tyler Eifert), a good running game and if needed he can make the throws. That's why Dalton is so successful even though he is of Glennon's caliber. (Ok, that's a bit harsh cause I consider Dalton a lot better then Glennon but they are what people would collectively call competent QB's.) So, essentially, Bucs don't have that talent around there average QB. The defense looks good on paper, but Matt Ryan shreded them all day.

I think one of the ESPN talking heads said the Bengals offense is like Noah's Ark - they have two of everything! (Thus implying that there is no reason for Dalton to not put up big numbers).

He has the stats to prove it, save for playoff wins.

Yeah, Dalton does do the job for the Bengals and by the look of things it will be Pats, Broncos, Bengals and Colts as winner of the AFC divisions again this year. Then again, Colts haven't looked great so far.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="CQI13" data-cite="CQI13" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26529" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>So the Dolphins gave away T-shirts at the game yesterday. Fitting, considering they got undressed by KC.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> So much win in this comment.</p>

• 3 weeks later...

Did anyone happen to catch Mike Goldberg doing the Vikings/Lions game? I just read an article about how bad he was and I was wondering if it was as bad as the writer was saying it was.

The funny thing about it to me is, some of the mistakes they were saying he made (Like forgetting player's names, getting downs wrong, etc.) reminds me a lot of when Phil Rizzuto used to call baseball games for the Yankees. Phil used to forget counts, screw up players names and stuff like that.

Calling games are hard, I tried it when I was in college (calling a basketball) and I sucked at it. You have to really know your stuff and you have to be able to keep up with the game, so I feel for Mike but I guess he is better off sticking to what he is good at and that is calling UFC fights.

Did anyone happen to catch Mike Goldberg doing the Vikings/Lions game? I just read an article about how bad he was and I was wondering if it was as bad as the writer was saying it was.

The funny thing about it to me is, some of the mistakes they were saying he made (Like forgetting player's names, getting downs wrong, etc.) reminds me a lot of when Phil Rizzuto used to call baseball games for the Yankees. Phil used to forget counts, screw up players names and stuff like that.

Calling games are hard, I tried it when I was in college (calling a basketball) and I sucked at it. You have to really know your stuff and you have to be able to keep up with the game, so I feel for Mike but I guess he is better off sticking to what he is good at and that is calling UFC fights.

I'm a Viking fan and yes he was really terrible and so was his partner who is an ex-football player. They both couldn't pronounce some easy names, had numerous players and coaches on the wrong team, would call a 4 yard gain no gain, etc. It was not good. I was so tempted to mute the game a few times but didn't.

I really don't get why he was asked to call the game in the first place. Sure he's called some LFL (a league I could rant at length about) games. But really? That's all it takes to call an NFL game now? I miss Pat Summerall.

The irony is that JR's a Steelers fan.

Great, now by the laws of my irrational hatred of Pittsburgh I am honor-bound to despise JR.

It must have been really bad because he got fired. Blowing up on fans on Twitter probably didn't help either.