Official NFL Discussion Thread

Stennick

<p>Interesting week, and really validates what I've been saying. I knew the Panthers were better than the 7 point spread in San Francisco, but they surprised me by winning outright. Beating all those bad teams by double digits carried over into a close win on the road. The Bengals and Colts showed why even though they're likely playoff teams, nobody trusts them, as injuries and consistency issues have caused both teams to look great against good teams, but pretty bad against mediocre teams. The Colts lost at home to Miami in week 2, and just got blown out by a Rams team that's in 4th in the NFC West. The Colts "who have they beaten" list is pretty impressive, but the "who have they lost to" list is pretty sad. Fortunately the Colts play in one of the worst divisions in football, and still have games against the Locker-less Titans, the Jaguars, and the Texans.</p><p> </p><p>

And Philadelphia might be a playoff team if Foles plays out the rest of the year. They've scored 76 points in their past two games with Foles vs. 10 in the two games before that where Matt Barkley was under center.</p>

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Stennick" data-cite="Stennick" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26529" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Man does that AFC playoff picture look pitiful. Meanwhile The East and the North in the NFC are still a jump ball.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Yeah, someone must make it in the AFC! The Jets with their complete inability to make plays, the Chargers with their laughably bad D, the Dolphins, with their infamous o-line, etc. I think Pittsburgh, who still is a bad football team, might have the inside track. A team that lost to the Vikings and let the Patriots score on them like it was 2006.</p><p> </p><p> Also, I really want to see somebody just crush the Giants playoff chances. I just can't stand this team and I'm so sick of them sneaking into playoff spots.</p>

<p>So it seems 99 percent of people think that was a flag although even if it WAS a flag it would be illegal contact or possibly holding not PI so they still aren't at the 1. However I think watching Mike and Mike alone I saw the replay 100 times and the ball is not a catchable ball. You can't just say that if the defender wasn't there Gronk could come up. </p><p> </p><p>

1. The defender who caught it hand to fall to his knees just to catch it. How the hell is Gronk going to reach over and down that defender to come up with that ball in the first place?</p><p> </p><p>

2. The guy defending Gronk is still going to be there even if he's not wrapping his arms around him so Gronk would have to go through two guys to catch a ball that would have hit the ground if Carolina didn't pick it. That is as uncatchable as uncatchable gets. Saying Gronk could mow through two defenders and have his arms grown twice as long to reach down and pick that ball out of Carolina's hands and before it hit the ground.</p><p> </p><p>

If Brady doesn't under throw it and he throws it to the defender that is guarding Gronk then yes its a flag all day long but the ball was not a catchable ball. </p><p> </p><p>

Again just my opinion.</p>

Fun Fact: Matt McGloin (suddenly the interim starting QB for the Raiders) went to my high school in Scranton, PA.

I went to most of the home games when he was starting because we were good. (After he left, so did our scholarship'd All-American offensive lineman who also went to Penn State, our one decent receiver, and most of our defense, so we stunk.) He was a pretty good quarterback, but he never really got to show it. With him, we actually made it pretty far in the state playoffs, but it was mostly on the back of our starting running back. He was a decent player, but our coach at the time was pretty terrible at play calling and was a "run first (second, third, punt, yell at the exhausted RB)" kind of guy. So, really, he started fighting for credibility even before college.

This week will be really interesting because McGloin is getting his first partially performance-based start while facing Mike Munchak's Titans. Mike Munchak graduated from high school in Scranton too! (He's also good friends with one of my friend's dads and I was in front of him at the buffet for my friend's graduation party and didn't realize it, but that's a different story.)

• 6 months later...

<p>I may be on my own, but reading the news that they have cancelled about 6 of the Redskins pattens stinks. As someone who has Native American blood in her and a fan of the team I'm annoyed. I don't find the term offensive and reading things that people are saying makes me ponder things. You have trams with names such as Chiefs, Braves, and Indians who's logo is a red active American depiction yet they fought to be called native Americans. </p><p> </p><p>

Now I wonder if the state of Oklahoma will be asked to change their name...</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="moon_lit_tears" data-cite="moon_lit_tears" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26529" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I may be on my own, but reading the news that they have cancelled about 6 of the Redskins pattens stinks. As someone who has Native American blood in her and a fan of the team I'm annoyed. I don't find the term offensive and reading things that people are saying makes me ponder things. You have trams with names such as Chiefs, Braves, and Indians who's logo is a red active American depiction yet they fought to be called native Americans. <p> </p><p> Now I wonder if the state of Oklahoma will be asked to change their name...</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Well first, I've seen people complain about the Indians' logo, but it's baseball, so no one really cares.</p><p> </p><p> Second, those other names aren't slurs. And, as archaic as it is, redskin is one. It's the difference between having a team called the Samurai, and a team called the Japs.</p><p> </p><p> Sure it sucks that the team you love has to change its identity, but this has been a contentious issue for years and clearly enough people think it should change. Besides, they'll probably just change the name to the Indians or something like that. Personally, I'm pulling for Potomac.</p>

<p>My biggest problem with the Redskins (other than the name that they should just change) is that their logo is an American Indian with feathers in his hair, and then the <span style="text-decoration:underline;">logo itself</span> has feathers. Why does a logo need feathers? It makes no sense!</p><p> </p><p>

Edit: looking back at posts I made in this thread months ago sure made me look like a prescient genius!</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="The Swanton825" data-cite="The Swanton825" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26529" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Well first, I've seen people complain about the Indians' logo, but it's baseball, so no one really cares.<p> </p><p> Second, those other names aren't slurs. And, as archaic as it is, redskin is one. It's the difference between having a team called the Samurai, and a team called the Japs.</p><p> </p><p> Sure it sucks that the team you love has to change its identity, but this has been a contentious issue for years and clearly enough people think it should change. Besides, they'll probably just change the name to the Indians or something like that. Personally, I'm pulling for Potomac.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> The Braves have the Tomahawk chop which is alluding to the scalping the Native Americans have done.</p><p> </p><p> Second the Indians. Their logo is of a red faced smiling Indian...Yet they have fought for years to be called "Native American" not Indian. So yes they are actually just as bad as the "redskins"..</p><p> </p><p> Being Native American myself I just find this a bit over the top. Do you realize the name "Oklahoma" means red skinned people?</p><p> </p><p> So if this is the road the activists are traveling when will it stop?</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="moon_lit_tears" data-cite="moon_lit_tears" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26529" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>The Braves have the Tomahawk chop which is alluding to the scalping the Native Americans have done.<p> </p><p> Second the Indians. Their logo is of a red faced smiling Indian...Yet they have fought for years to be called "Native American" not Indian. So yes they are actually just as bad as the "redskins"..</p><p> </p><p> Being Native American myself I just find this a bit over the top. Do you realize the name "Oklahoma" means red skinned people?</p><p> </p><p> So if this is the road the activists are traveling when will it stop?</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Political correctness is an over-complicated issue that makes my head spin. Personally, I don't get why people care so damned much on either side. Does stuff like this fix racist and classist divides in the US? But at the same time, I don't see why the team name or various emblems matter so much. Teams change logos all the time, and as the Pelicans have shown, name changes don't really affect much either. I'm Vikings fan and I wouldn't give two shits if they changed their name or logo (as long as they don't move to LA).</p><p> </p><p> I'm kinda stuck in this middle ground where I sort of understand both sides, I don't get why they care so much about so little.</p>

• 1 month later...
I did go ahead and reactivate the league - will send emails out and see who responds so we know if we need to recruit or downsize.

I'm up for it. Depending on the draft date/time I may have to do a pre-order. I'm heading to Maryland on the 20th and won't be back to Mass till September 3rd...as my live draft and....well...family visits and such, but I"m still down for this. :)