Official NFL Discussion Thread

Stennick

I think the ONLY mistake they made was not calling a timeout before the 4th down play that decided the game. I expected a hard count and a last second timeout (play clock at 1).

They couldn't because they didn't have any left. They wasted one earlier on. 'Wasted' being the term the commentators used, I have no idea on the strategic use of timeouts. :p Timeouts are one of the many things I dislike about gridiron. Don't they spend ENOUGH time not playing football during a football game already? Me and OR had this discussion already during the game and I get the fact that it's a very strategic and technical sport and is less about the physical side of things than it is the mental and strategic side, but even so, it annoys me that there are so many breaks in play and then the last quarter usually lasts half an hour or more because they throw timeouts around all over the place. Especially when they do it 0.00000000000001 seconds before the play like the 49ers did. So late that the play goes ahead because his own Quarterback didn't hear the call, then has to be stopped (when funnily enough the pass is incomplete. If he'd caught that, I'd have LOVED to have seen Harbaugh's reaction. "I DIDN'T MEAN IT DAMNIT I WAS ONLY JOKING LOL WE WIN RIGHT? ...holding").

Flacco was the MVP of not only the Super Bowl but the entire post-season. 11 touchdowns to 0 interceptions. He beat Manning and Brady on the road (both games nobody gave them a chance). He's a good QB who deserves recognition. Especially for how good he's been the past five years. I want to see Kaepernick play an entire season first. This pistol-offense won't last. The one guy who could run the option (Tebow) and also take the hits played about 20 downs of football this year while guys like RG3, Wilson, Newton, and Kaepernick are all being glorified for running a system Tebow helped expand. None of those guys can take 15+ hits a game all season long and still be a QB in five years. Will not happen.

Meh. As I said, I know bugger all about what happens during the season usually. I was just judging based on the game, and what (admittedly still not much) I understand about it. And based on that, Kaepernick (other than his one interception) deserved it more than Flacco. As I said, Flacco deserved it, I wasn't really arguing that. Just that Kaepernick deserved it more from what I saw with my untrained eyes. Ever since the blackout (and in flashes before then) he WAS the 49ers. The Ravens did very little in the second half (minus the obvious, take a bow Jacobe Jones), and in the first half Flacco was awesome, but not AS good as Kaepernick was in the 2nd.

It's not an "MVP who'll still be around in five years" award. Or an "MVP of the post-season" award. It's an MVP of the Superbowl award. And I just think that in the literal sense of the award's name if nothing else, Kaepernick deserved that slightly more than Flacco. Flacco was great, and the Ravens were great. Not disputing that. However, Kaepernick was great despite the 49ers sleeping for most of the game. Which to me is worth more I guess.

Now, with that said, hopefully I'll never have to type the name 'Kaepernick' again, starting now. That is one annoying-ass name to type.

We need more Chuck Howleys. Only player to be Superbowl MVP while on the losing side, and not even a quarterback or wide receiver. :D

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont see how you can be the most valuable player in a game you lost. Unless you were so stellar and head-and-shoulders above everyone else, but Kaepernick wasn't that. He had less completions and had a worse completion percentage. I mean he threw for a few more yards but there's no comparable stat that tells me he deserved it over Flacco in a game he lost.

Ravens hung tough, man. They gave up some big plays there after the blackout but they did what they had to and brought the city a superbowl. Their fans should be proud of them.

They are by the worst regular season team that's won in recent memory. I mean they were absolutely mediocre at best all season long if you look at their team stats and things like that. But they got Ray Lewis back and Flacco played great. They had a solid running game. In the playoffs they did everything right. Gotta give them all the respect in the world for beating up the praised Niners defense the way they did.

It was holding, but I think it was a good no call. It's the 49ers own fault for relying too much on Crabtree and not using their running game/pistol formation on three tries.

The uncalled facemask/blow to the head personal foul that directly led to the 49ers fumble was as big a difference maker, but got less press because it was earlier in the game. Both defenses were chippy and did a lot of stuff that was illegal that the refs just didn't call, which led to the confrontations in the first half. Still, the Ravens made plays and deserved the win.

They are by the worst regular season team that's won in recent memory. I mean they were absolutely mediocre at best all season long if you look at their team stats and things like that. But they got Ray Lewis back and Flacco played great. They had a solid running game. In the playoffs they did everything right. Gotta give them all the respect in the world for beating up the praised Niners defense the way they did.

I'd say the 2011 Giants were worse. They finished 9-7, were crushed by the Saints during the regular season, lost to the awful Redskins, and needed an assist from Tony Romo just to get into the playoffs. Then they managed to squeak past the 49ers on the road and managed to beat the Patriots in a comeback. The Ravens were more convincing than the Giants every step of the way, especially when beating the same two teams.

I'd say the 2011 Giants were worse. They finished 9-7, were crushed by the Saints during the regular season, lost to the awful Redskins, and needed an assist from Tony Romo just to get into the playoffs. Then they managed to squeak past the 49ers on the road and managed to beat the Patriots in a comeback. The Ravens were more convincing than the Giants every step of the way, especially when beating the same two teams.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/nyg/2007.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/rav/2012.htm

Compare both teams side-by-side. The Raven's defense was actually worse all season if you look at yardage. Plus the team yardage deficit tells me the Giants were a little better, even though they technically played a "tougher" schedule. The Giants had a 9-7 record in a tough NFC east and the Ravens had a 10-6 record in a down year for AFC North. I mean, they're both pretty terrible super bowl winners so let's not split hairs :-)

I was rooting for the Niners but I'm really happy for the Ravens fans. Your team came up big in tough spots and played with passion when it counted. I say they were mediocre in the regular season but in the playoffs they played inspired football and the city really got behind them. Congrats!

• 1 month later...

I couldn't be happier with what the Titans are doing thus far in the off-season. Andy Levitre from Buffalo will truly help us a ton immediately and for the future. Did you think Jackson and Spiller got all those yards without anyone blocking? We have the best offensive line coach in football as our head coach and our running game will get a big boost with Shonn Greene. I liked Greene while he was with the Jets because he's a good power guy whose willing to go between the tackles for tough yards. I'm from Maine and things like the Wing-T and tough power FBs as RBs is what I enjoy seeing. Tough defense and a time management running game is the type of football I breathe.

I just hope CJ can deal with having someone who can take some of the load off of him and let him maximize his carries into big time runs. Him and LenDale worked great but CJ didn't enjoy running the entire field and then having White get the TD down in the red zone. I don't see that happening again because LenDale had seniority over CJ at the time. Greene will come in and get some carries in mid-drive situations I think. He can catch the ball out of the backfield too, so if CJ is tired on 3rd down... we're good to go.

Once again I'm putting complete faith in Locker. Last year I was so excited for what the newer Titans could become. They disappointed me terribly but I'm convinced we can get back to the playoffs if we get back to what the core of Titans football is all about - tough running and stingy defense.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Remianen" data-cite="Remianen" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26529" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>FREEEEEEEEE AGENCYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!<p> </p><p> Paul Kruger to Denver *crosses fingers* (Cliff Avril will work too!)</p><p> </p><p> DRC to Denver, for under market value.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Well, I was half right.</p><p> </p><p> But WES WELKER, omg! Peyton got a new toy and Brady has to break in a newbie (who probably won't pan out). They would've been better off with Justin Edelman. They drafted him to take Welker's job to begin with!</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="LoganRodzen" data-cite="LoganRodzen" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26529" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I couldn't be happier with what the Titans are doing thus far in the off-season. Andy Levitre from Buffalo will truly help us a ton immediately and for the future. Did you think Jackson and Spiller got all those yards without anyone blocking? We have the best offensive line coach in football as our head coach and our running game will get a big boost with Shonn Greene. I liked Greene while he was with the Jets because he's a good power guy whose willing to go between the tackles for tough yards. I'm from Maine and things like the Wing-T and tough power FBs as RBs is what I enjoy seeing. Tough defense and a time management running game is the type of football I breathe.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Huh? When did Alex Gibbs get a head coaching job? No offense Logan, but Mike Munchak is not the best o-line coach in football. Mike Munchak couldn't produce 1,000 yard rushers out of tomato cans and Pro Bowl o-linemen from people who "everyone" said was too small, had bad feet, etc. Alex Gibbs did. Don't get it twisted though, he's a very good coach. But it would be like me saying John Elway is the best GM in football. Resumé doesn't quite bear that out. </p><p> </p><p> I honestly think the Broncos are going to find a way to add 1-2 more of the top available defensive backs since I believe John Fox is keen on moving Champ to safety. He couldn't do any worse than Rahim Moore did (hey, your ONLY responsibility was to NOT LET ANYONE GET BEHIND YOU. Quit staring into the freakin' backfield!).</p><p> </p><p> One thing that has really blown me away is the Miami binge. Jeff Ireland is betting the team's future that this year, the team will not just win, but make the Super Bowl. He's trying to save his job but if he fails, the next GM they hire is going to hate him. All of those big contracts the Dolphins have given out are backloaded. For example, Mike Wallace's cap number for this season is only like 3.5 mil. Ellerbe's cap number is 2.5 mil. That means a ton of money is stashed in years 2-4/5.</p><p> </p><p> But the fact that Welker turned down more money (from the Titans no less, who offered $15 mil over 2 years) because he wanted to play for a contender with an elite quarterback says a lot about what kind of guy he is. What's particularly sad is, the blame could probably be placed at the feet of Floyd Reece, who had handled the Welker negotiations up to this season. A player of Welker's stature, who had accomplished what he had with that franchise, to be treated like that cannot be good for the locker room. Pair that with the acrimonious nature of other players in that position (Logan Mankins, for example) and it seems like the Pats will always be plugging people into positions, whether they fit or not. Though I do understand why they went with Amendola over Welker (they're planning to base their offense on the tight end so there's no real need for a slot receiver of Welker's stature (and price tag). Remember how they phased Welker out of the offense until Gronk got hurt?).</p><p> </p><p> One thing I read somewhere that was kinda eerie. Peyton's most productive years were when he had Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne on the outside and Brandon Stokley in the slot. What numbers did those players wear? (88, 87, 83). Now he has Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker on the outside and Wes Welker in the slot. What numbers do those players wear? Yep, you guessed it, 88, 87, and 83. The difference is, back then, he didn't have a lights-out defense so they were running up and down the field by necessity.</p><p> </p><p> The way the pieces are fitting together is fascinating. Moreso this year due to the 72 hour 'look but don't touch' window (without which Danell Ellerbe is probably still a Raven).</p>

Huh? When did Alex Gibbs get a head coaching job? No offense Logan, but Mike Munchak is not the best o-line coach in football. Mike Munchak couldn't produce 1,000 yard rushers out of tomato cans and Pro Bowl o-linemen from people who "everyone" said was too small, had bad feet, etc. Alex Gibbs did. Don't get it twisted though, he's a very good coach. But it would be like me saying John Elway is the best GM in football. Resumé doesn't quite bear that out.

But the fact that Welker turned down more money (from the Titans no less, who offered $15 mil over 2 years) because he wanted to play for a contender with an elite quarterback says a lot about what kind of guy he is. What's particularly sad is, the blame could probably be placed at the feet of Floyd Reece, who had handled the Welker negotiations up to this season. A player of Welker's stature, who had accomplished what he had with that franchise, to be treated like that cannot be good for the locker room. Pair that with the acrimonious nature of other players in that position (Logan Mankins, for example) and it seems like the Pats will always be plugging people into positions, whether they fit or not. Though I do understand why they went with Amendola over Welker (they're planning to base their offense on the tight end so there's no real need for a slot receiver of Welker's stature (and price tag). Remember how they phased Welker out of the offense until Gronk got hurt?).

Munchak is (in my opinion) the best offensive line coach currently in football. He's played the position for over a decade and he coached the Titans offensive line for over a decade before becoming head coach. He knows what he's doing when it comes to running the ball. LenDale White had 1,100 yards in 2007 when our offense was going through some major changes with Vince Young and whatnot. In 2008 we had one of the best running back duos in NFL history (CJ hated it, he'd be the workhorse down field and LenDale would get the TDs). Munchak is responsible for those years of running and he even got CHRIS BROWN (fumble-prone and all) a 1,000 yard season in '04. We've struggled throughout the years but our running has always been top-notch. He's been the reason for that (on and off the field).

I honestly didn't know we were going after Welker. I couldn't be happier with Britt, Washington, and Kendall Wright was excellent when he played last year. He'll be even better this year. So in that regard I don't even see why we'd approach him. No doubt he would have helped Locker out but I think he built some rapport with those three guys I mentioned. Damian Williams and Marc Mariani are also young and show promise when they play.

I really hope Locker's shoulder surgery works out and he doesn't re injure it. I'm really worried about that. Especially since we let Hasslebeck go. I really don't want Ryan Fittzpatrick as our starting QB come week one...

Munchak is (in my opinion) the best offensive line coach currently in football. He's played the position for over a decade and he coached the Titans offensive line for over a decade before becoming head coach. He knows what he's doing when it comes to running the ball. LenDale White had 1,100 yards in 2007 when our offense was going through some major changes with Vince Young and whatnot. In 2008 we had one of the best running back duos in NFL history (CJ hated it, he'd be the workhorse down field and LenDale would get the TDs). Munchak is responsible for those years of running and he even got CHRIS BROWN (fumble-prone and all) a 1,000 yard season in '04. We've struggled throughout the years but our running has always been top-notch. He's been the reason for that (on and off the field).

Like I said, I'm not downing Munchak at all. But he's had players with talent running the rock. LenDale was playing lights out because he wanted to get paid (and once he did, he got fat & happy). CJ, Eddie George, and so on. But name the Broncos running backs who broke 1k rushing yards under Mike Shanahan (when Alex Gibbs was O-line coach). With the exception of Terrell Davis and Clinton Portis, those people are tomato cans! Peyton Hillis got some burn and people thought he was REAL. The Browns traded for him and found out he was a "system" running back.

Alex Gibbs turned water into wine as far as offensive lines go. Him with the one-cut meant you could plug in some dude off the street and rack up 1,000 yards (and often, 4+ yards per carry). In addition to that, none of his O-linemen made major bank (until after they left the team). Okay, maybe Zim did but he's a Hall of Famer. They took people no one else wanted (too small, too slow, arms too short, etc) and made them Pro Bowlers (example: Center Tom Nalen, 7th round draft pick, 5 time Pro Bowler).

I like Mike Munchak. Hell, any coach nowadays who can say they've been with the same franchise for 30 consecutive years gets my respect. But I think it's a shame that he probably won't reach the mountaintop because their personnel department is...well, lacking. As much as Jake Locker got battered around, the Titans didn't even kick Jake Long's tires. Or Jermon Bushrod. Yes, Levitre is going to help but come on! Unless they spend half of their picks on O-linemen (this being the deepest o-line draft in several years), that line is going to enter 2013 almost unchanged. They want to go down the field on offense (at least that's what they seemed to want last season) but in order to do that, you need protection. If your quarterback can't have 5-7 seconds unmolested, there aren't too many 9 routes that are going to be successfully run.

But now that you put it that way, maybe he is the best o-line coach currently in the game. I almost forgot that Alex retired right before Pete Carroll officially took over the Seahawks.

The Dumervial fiasco might have a silver lining. Even with the 5 mil in dead money that resulted, we'd still have enough to pick up Freeney and Seymour if they gave the 'contender's discount'.

I agree with everything you said about the Titans O-Line. Levitre will help but he isn't five people. I think we'll start using two TE's for blocking and give Locker a few more options in the passing game. I'm prepared for us to pick up a few offensive linemen in this draft and like you said, this draft is STACKED with them.

I agree with everything you said about the Titans O-Line. Levitre will help but he isn't five people. I think we'll start using two TE's for blocking and give Locker a few more options in the passing game. I'm prepared for us to pick up a few offensive linemen in this draft and like you said, this draft is STACKED with them.

O-line and D-line.

And I must say, I agree with CJ about the signing of Shonn Greene. :) For running backs especially, getting them dirt cheap through the draft is often the best way unless a special one becomes available. Low first round pick (CJ, Doug Martin) or even a late round pick (Alfred Morris), there's tons of backs available. Why eat up $3.5 mil of cap space signing a "veteran" who hasn't really done anything? This isn't the Jets signing Ladainian Tomlinson. With the depressed free agent market as it is (franchise left tackles only getting 6-ish mil a year?), it would've been better to go the draft route.

Add Ridley, BJGE, and shane vehreen to that list for my pats, Unless your talking an otherworldly talent, It's such a waste to invest alot of money/ high draft picks at RB.

I'm pretty "meh" on the Patriots offseason so far. I feel like we always try to be the smartest team in the room and it hurts us at times. Always gotta show teams "see, we got guy X, a 2nd or 3rd tier FA/ draft pick and got 80% of the production you got overspending on guy Y"

Sometimes I'd rather just pay for that extra 20% ya know? especially so when it comes to a year where we have 20 flipping million in cap space thanks to tom's restructure and we can't shell out an extra 2 million for welker.

And, if i can rant a sec, that is another instance of Kraft and Bill going "see, we were right!"

we get it, you called that wes wouldn't get blown out of the water, and correctly predicted his value to the league at around 5 a year, not the 8 per his agent wanted last summer. But you can't cough up the extra 2 mill in guaranteed money the broncos came up with to keep him? you WON! his agents were wrong! suck it up and pay him AND danny amendola, you had the cap space.

But nope, instead we refer him back to our 10/ 2 year take it or leave it offer and sign a often hurt guy who MAY, if healthy, replace some of that production. SMH.

O-line and D-line.

And I must say, I agree with CJ about the signing of Shonn Greene. :) For running backs especially, getting them dirt cheap through the draft is often the best way unless a special one becomes available. Low first round pick (CJ, Doug Martin) or even a late round pick (Alfred Morris), there's tons of backs available. Why eat up $3.5 mil of cap space signing a "veteran" who hasn't really done anything? This isn't the Jets signing Ladainian Tomlinson. With the depressed free agent market as it is (franchise left tackles only getting 6-ish mil a year?), it would've been better to go the draft route.

Didn't I say CJ would be upset about them signing Green? And he makes it publicly known yesterday that he isn't impressed. I knew he'd feel that way about a two-back system but I don't see us going that route. I see us using Green to give CJ a breather here and there. He won't get over 5-8 carries a game (and when you look at it money-wise that's a lot of cash for a limited role most likely, so I agree with you on that aspect). CJ will still get 20 carries in and be the primary playmaker on offense (or that's what I'm banking on anyway). Either way I think Green was a good signing. He was good in New York and he's only four years into the league. He'll be a good pound between the tackles runner while CJ can make big plays on the outside (hopefully).

Also - I thought Darius Reynaud was decent for us in limited play last year. I've been a fan of West Virginia since the Pat White / Steve Slaton era and Reynaud was really good at WV.

You really think they paid 3.5 million for a guy to get five carries a game? My skin is burning just saying this but Remi is right. Why not go the draft route or solid vet route, why drop 3.5 million on a backup? Especially when you have Chris Johnson who even with a bad year last year was ninth in the NFL in rushing yards. Even if you don't want to spend that 3.5 this year who knows what will come up and you might wish you had that 3.5 mil.

Sigh. What is it with my Vikings and their love of expensive past-their-sell-date players??

I'm really kind of frustrated with their offseason moves to date. The Percy Harvin debacle (at least we got the #23 pick for him), signing Matt Cassel (are you freaking kidding me?) and Greg Jennings (better, but not a straight trade for Harvin), and now they want to go after Brian Urlacher (if they can get him cheap, maybe he's got one season left in him, but I don't see it).

On the positive side, getting Phil Loadholt locked down to a long term deal was critical, and picking up Seth Olsen brings some needed depth to the O-line.

But we're still criminally weak at WR and need defensive help. The Vikes over-performed in 2012, but I'm not convinced free agency has improved the team ahead of the draft.

Sigh. What is it with my Vikings and their love of expensive past-their-sell-date players??

I'm really kind of frustrated with their offseason moves to date. The Percy Harvin debacle (at least we got the #23 pick for him), signing Matt Cassel (are you freaking kidding me?) and Greg Jennings (better, but not a straight trade for Harvin), and now they want to go after Brian Urlacher (if they can get him cheap, maybe he's got one season left in him, but I don't see it).

On the positive side, getting Phil Loadholt locked down to a long term deal was critical, and picking up Seth Olsen brings some needed depth to the O-line.

But we're still criminally weak at WR and need defensive help. The Vikes over-performed in 2012, but I'm not convinced free agency has improved the team ahead of the draft.

I hate to say it to you, but I think Greg Jennings was a bad signing. Even with Aaron Rodgers throwing the ball, he's been incredibly streaky throughout his entire career. He might not be a bad WR, but whatever the Vikings paid for him is going to be too much. I don't think the key to turning Jennings into a 16-game stud at the position is a team that seems directionless at QB.

You really think they paid 3.5 million for a guy to get five carries a game? My skin is burning just saying this but Remi is right. Why not go the draft route or solid vet route, why drop 3.5 million on a backup? Especially when you have Chris Johnson who even with a bad year last year was ninth in the NFL in rushing yards. Even if you don't want to spend that 3.5 this year who knows what will come up and you might wish you had that 3.5 mil.

hehehe I think some teams need to learn the Alfred Morris lesson. Finding good backs in the draft happens every single year without fail. If all you're looking for is a backup for your all world starter, the draft is THE place to get that, inexpensively (rookie wage scale means someone like Alfred Morris is making pennies on the dollar, relative to their production). But at least they're not as bad as the Vikings, who used a mid-2nd round pick for Toby Gerhart when they have Adrian freakin' Peterson. Just looking at the people they passed on makes you shake your head (Jimmy Graham, NaVorro Bowman, Eric Decker, Major Wright, Ed Dickson, Morgan Burnett, Sean Lee, Carlos Dunlap, Jordan Shipley, Geno Atkins, Jacoby Ford, Aaron Hernandez, Kam Chancellor, Riley Cooper, etc).

I don't know. The Vikes have two good linebackers (Erin and Chad), maybe two good defensive linemen (Jared and maybe Kevin, old as he is), and a stud free safety. You only need 2-3 more linebackers, maybe 4 d-linemen, two corners, and a credible strong safety. Remember, the draft is not the be-all, end-all. There are people right now trying to figure out whether they want to give up a first round pick for an undrafted free agent (Victor Cruz). Houston's stud running back wasn't drafted. So there's a reason the better teams stay that way, since they spend more of their resources on top notch scouting departments. There are probably fifteen teams who wish they were in the Vikings' shoes (starting with the Cardinals!).

Of course, I hear Darrelle Revis is available for the right price...

I hate to say it to you, but I think Greg Jennings was a bad signing. Even with Aaron Rodgers throwing the ball, he's been incredibly streaky throughout his entire career. He might not be a bad WR, but whatever the Vikings paid for him is going to be too much. I don't think the key to turning Jennings into a 16-game stud at the position is a team that seems directionless at QB.

The problem with Greg Jennings, as you say, is his inconsistency. James Jones had pretty much taken his job in Green Bay, which is why the Packers weren't willing to pay Jennings top of the market (i.e. Megatron/Fitzgerald) money. But the Vikings needed someone, ANYONE, who is a credible receiving threat to get people to take their safeties out of the box. When your top receiver is Jerome Simpson, you've got a definite need at receiver. Plus, this allows them to go in a different direction with the draft. They weren't going to get CordaRelle Patterson but if they can find some people in the 3rd to 6th rounds, that should be enough.

Five to eight carries a game tops is what I see in his future (maybe ten). He's getting 10 million over three years, so 3.3 million a year for someone who will take some pretty big hits is worth it to me. Drafting a RB in the draft would be nice and all but we've gone that route - Jamie Harper (who I like) and Javon Ringer (who I also liked) - and it hasn't worked for us. Greene is a solid backup for us and you need to remember that the Titans have always had a 60 (run) / 40 (pass) type of offense. We need a guy who can take big hits and HOLD ONTO THE FOOTBALL in short yardage situations.

I'd rather use the draft for the pieces we truly need and not take a chance on a RB who will be third string for three years and get 10 carries a season. Even Javon Ringer is complaining about us signing Greene now. They need to suck it up and let how they play do the talking.

And who knows? CJ might start out the season the way he did last year (11 caries for FOUR yards) and Munchak will light a fire under his ass by using Greene more. As long as we can get down the field and get points, I don't care how we do it.

The problem with Greg Jennings, as you say, is his inconsistency. James Jones had pretty much taken his job in Green Bay, which is why the Packers weren't willing to pay Jennings top of the market (i.e. Megatron/Fitzgerald) money. But the Vikings needed someone, ANYONE, who is a credible receiving threat to get people to take their safeties out of the box. When your top receiver is Jerome Simpson, you've got a definite need at receiver. Plus, this allows them to go in a different direction with the draft. They weren't going to get CordaRelle Patterson but if they can find some people in the 3rd to 6th rounds, that should be enough.

His highlight for the flip touchdown is amazing. I had him on fantasy football last year because of that play alone. He was even suspended for the first four games (or however many it was) and I still picked him up in a late round to be a backup receiver.

The Vikings are in a good spot and lets be honest that division didn't look as fierce last year as everyone thought it would Chicago, Detroit were hyped as world beaters and both fell below expectations (which is why Lovie Smith is at home waiting for a coaching job and honestly may be waiting a while). Its kind of interesting though that each team in that division is known for something different.

Packers are known for their passing game but mostly the QB, Vikings are known for the record setting Running game mostly AD, Detroit is known for their record setting receiving game which of course was all Megatron and then Chicago had that lockdown defense that was scoring more points than some offense. I still think its the most fun division in the NFC as far as rivalries and parity go.

Speaking of divisions maybe its just me but the NFC South just doesn't feel like a "real" division for me. Sure they got the Falcons and the Saints but they seem to lack any sort of rivalry. The North and the East are legendary and atleast the West has Niners/Rams and Cards/Rams as something to play off of . Maybe if I was a fan of a team in the division I would feel differently.

• 2 weeks later...

This is why the Raiders have traditionally been doormats most of the time.

You trade a first round pick in 2012 and a second round pick in 2013 for Carson Palmer, then you try to trade him two years later for a 5th or 6th round pick? Jeez, Jimmy Johnson would've LOVED the Raiders. The same Raiders who didn't change their offensive system so the coach they traded to Tampa (who came up with said system) could tell what plays were being called and when in the biggest game of the year. The same Raiders who burned a third round pick on a quarterback they don't trust to allow to start (going out and trading for a one-game wonder who lost his shot at starting to a rookie!).

Different regime, same results.

• 3 months later...
<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Stennick" data-cite="Stennick" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26529" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>The Vikings are in a good spot and lets be honest that division didn't look as fierce last year as everyone thought it would Chicago, Detroit were hyped as world beaters and both fell below expectations (which is why Lovie Smith is at home waiting for a coaching job and honestly may be waiting a while). Its kind of interesting though that each team in that division is known for something different.<p> </p><p> Packers are known for their passing game but mostly the QB, Vikings are known for the record setting Running game mostly AD, Detroit is known for their record setting receiving game which of course was all Megatron and then Chicago had that lockdown defense that was scoring more points than some offense. I still think its the most fun division in the NFC as far as rivalries and parity go. </p><p> </p><p> Speaking of divisions maybe its just me but the NFC South just doesn't feel like a "real" division for me. Sure they got the Falcons and the Saints but they seem to lack any sort of rivalry. The North and the East are legendary and atleast the West has Niners/Rams and Cards/Rams as something to play off of . Maybe if I was a fan of a team in the division I would feel differently.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> My brother is a Bucs fan and there is a Bucs-Falcons rivalry. He's also not too keen on Carolina.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I can't even put into words as a longtime Patriots fan how disappointed I am in Aaron Hernandez. It's so unreal to me, and I honestly can't even find words to describe how disgusting what he allegedly did was. On a related note, can we all agree that the Pouncey brothers are two of the dumbest people alive?</p><p> </p><p>

As someone that's rooted for Hernandez during his NFL career and thought he had enormous potential, I can't even fathom what these two were thinking. Forgetting that neither of them saw a problem with this somehow, how does NOBODY at a packed club, at a celebration of their lives mention "hey bro, that guy almost certainly either took or orchestrated the taking of what you and your brother are celebrating today"? What, because they were teammates it's ok to put that on a hat? I've been involved in sports since I was 5 years old and would NEVER do anything like this in my life. Completely disgusting, this has me really soured on Football right now.</p>