The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

What the hell is wrong with Jon Jones?

Here is a guy who should have the world at his feet and yet he does this crap. People never learn when it comes to drugs, I would not be surprised if he ends up dying of a drug overdose. Not that I would wish that on him but it would not shock me if that did happen.

Too bad. That's what you get when young people already touch the stars. You see it in popstars, you see it in sports stars, though they are supposed to have a lot of discipline. Guess he is lacking in some skill, at least. :p

I see him coming back from this, though, but I'd be surprised if they would go on and have him compete like it's nothing.

Yeah, so much for the slap on the wrist. Let's see what the courts say.

@Celuwyn: Boring? No charisma? What are you talking about? Jon Jones made him look boring in their fight, but look at the performance against Hendo and Cummins alone.

DC is arguably the second-best fighter in the Light Heavyweight division, so it makes perfect sense to give him a shot at the vacant title now. I'm not a big fan of fighters coming off a loss getting a title shot, but it was against the champion, so I guess it's fine.

The best choice in my opinion would have been to make the winner of Cormier/Bader face Rumble. UFC 187 is already stacked and has another title fight, so it wouldn't have been a huge loss to take the fight completely off the card.

DC has charisma ? Whoa.. I don't know how you can say that. The guy is boring, the only thing he say is "i'm the king of grinding, jon jones has cheated, i'm the better man" all over. His perfomance against Hendo ? Hendo is old. Heck, i bet that even Bisping can beat Hendo now. Who is Cummins ? If you want real victory for DC, it"s more the win over Josh Barnett for me.

But, everybody has his own judgement. I can't like DC, like i can't like Weidman

DC has charisma ? Whoa.. I don't know how you can say that. The guy is boring, the only thing he say is "i'm the king of grinding, jon jones has cheated, i'm the better man" all over. His perfomance against Hendo ? Hendo is old. Heck, i bet that even Bisping can beat Hendo now. Who is Cummins ? If you want real victory for DC, it"s more the win over Josh Barnett for me.

But, everybody has his own judgement. I can't like DC, like i can't like Weidman

:-) Ha, I could see that argument about Hendo's age coming from miles away.

And it's a valid point, but still: The way DC manhandled him looked pretty impressive to me. I could watch him throwing Henderson through the air all day. And I was talking about his fights at LHW only since these are the fights that one should look at when deciding whether a title shot is merited or not.

Charisma is always a matter of taste. Personally, I find him very entertaining. But I can agree to disagree.

Again, I'm not a huge fan of him getting a title shot, but it's not a travesty, either. From a strictly marketing standpoint, it's probably the best option for the UFC.

And by the way: I'm not here to defend DC and what he says, but he never said that Jon Jones cheated him. I think it was just yesterday when he said that Jon beat him fair and square and was the better man in the fight. And the Weidman thing was just teasing, I'm pretty sure.

I realise some of my posts get deleted for 'passionate language' but to mention Andy Ogle for a mo hes from my hometown hes not very good but we all back this guy no matter how bad he is. We all got hometown heros who get a go in the UFC & usually fail.Thats a more a polite way to put the UK mma scene into context without mentioning Jordan (which was always a shoe sponsor before a person)

• 1 month later...

Which clown got the idea that starting off the UFC PPV with a match between two unknown and relatively untested competitors in Torres and Hill would be awesome? Apparently that guy never really played WMMA (or watched much MMA for that matter), as having two excited fighters face off is no guarantee whatsoever for an exciting match. This was a complete dud, and I feel embarassed in Hill's place (why did she even raise her hand at the end? why make it worse?). On the other hand, it made Rodriguez (and the rest of the card) look like a million bucks, so there's that.

Don't get me wrong: I love women's MMA as much as any fan, but I get the feeling the initial excitement from the first UFC fights (who were very exciting) has wore off, and the whole division is in a standstill. Ronda's the only thing keeping it together. If she retires, they might as well close shop, unless VanZant or someone else breaks out.

It was funny seeing Melendez and Alvarez (who both have their names tattood on them). All in all a good card (except for... you know :p). Velasquez also made a poor impression. You'd think a champion is knowledgeable enough to know about altitude and its effect. Doesn't he have a physical coach? Anyhow: you can't say it's a bad showing because he did everything he could. The guy's a beast. But not thàt professional, so it seems. Then again, Cejudo ate Mexican tacos the day before the fight. That's not smart either. :p I admire that Cain doesn't make excuses and wants to learn from this experience, but the fact is he could've learned this in middle school.

I just watched the Kimbo/Shamrock fight from last night. What the heck was that? Last time I checked, when you're in a rear naked choke you don't start to fade out then magically hulk up. I thought this was MMA, not pro wrestling.

I didn't expect much considering their ages, but I didn't expect it to look so...staged.

I just watched the Kimbo/Shamrock fight from last night. What the heck was that? Last time I checked, when you're in a rear naked choke you don't start to fade out then magically hulk up. I thought this was MMA, not pro wrestling.

I didn't expect much considering their ages, but I didn't expect it to look so...staged.

Who. I see many people think that the fight was fixed, but really.. no..

Shamrock locked the rear naked choke, and you can clearly see Shamrock gassing his arm. then, Kimbo escape the hold via brute strength, it's all..

Joanna was indeed impressive.

Coker also gets points for trying to do something different than the top dog. Don't go the TNA way and do something that is just inferior to what they're doing, and cement yourself as the second promotion. He puts Bellator in the position of the 'alternative' promotion. They are not afraid to mix in some WWE-style theatrics. Sure purists don't like it, but purists are fine watching UFC. They got lots of programming, all pure. They are not afraid to try some new formulas. I like it. The entrances were a cacophony of pulpy crap, but I liked it. Isn't that what matters in the end? ("no", the purists say. I say yes. :D)

And no way that fight was staged... It 'looked' staged because both aren't exactly brilliant technicians anymore. There was the weight difference, the age difference, the rust,... Why would Shamrock come back for a 'staged' fight, display his family and show this passion if it was just for show? It wouldn't make any sense. And 'if' it was staged, the post-fight work was pretty badly done.

Last thing the UFC needed was the Aldo v McGregor fight to be in danger of being scrapped :-o With all the shenanigans involving Anderson Silva & Jon Jones this fight has been hyped!I'm still backing Aldo if it actually goes ahead

Aldo has "just" bruised ribs, thanks to the last report. the fight is still going ! and Aldo will say that he lose because of that rib :D