The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Zoloftjunkie" data-cite="Zoloftjunkie" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Oh well with that logic lets just give it to the guy who actually almost ended the fight then. Cause as much as I enjoy watching a guy take someone down then doing nothing for two rounds, I tend to lean towards guys who go for the finish.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Yeah, no. Warren was active from the top, he was hurting Pitbull with elbows and in response all Pitbull did was hold guard and cover his face.</p><p> </p><p> I thought it was a draw as well but in the case of a five round fight the last two rounds would've looked exactly like 2 and 3 so this decision doesn't really phase me.</p><p> </p><p> Freire pretty clearly gassed after nearly finishing Warren which is a shame because I really, really like the guy. If there was five more seconds to the round Warren would've tapped. But it is what it is and Warren's going to take Soto to (wrestling) school. Maybe Freire can make a run in their bantamweight tournament.</p>

I to think round 4 and 5 would of been the same but you don't judge on what would of been. And with the point system the way it is you don't GIVE a fighter the win. I think they should adopt the plus one system that K1 uses in case of draws. Believe it or not I was pulling for Warren :p but last night was not his best offering. I really hope it was just him being sick cause if Pitbull didn't gas like that it would of been over in the second.

Another solid and entertaining offering from Bellator last night, thoroughly enjoyed it, apart from seeing my old neighbour (well, she lived two streets away) Rosi Sexton get knocked out, which I seriously wasn't expecting. Look like she'll be suspended for 60 days and wont make the tournament...although having her in and not Frausto would be harsh. That said, I doubt Frausto could make 115; she looked huge last night at 121 or whatever it was.

Was pleasantly surprised by Shlemenko. The guy just looks incredibly beatable, but he's a real scrapper. I think Lombard will knock his head off.

I was very surprised at Pitbull gassing after he mauled Warren in the 1st. Can't take anything away from Warren, he pulled it out of the bag after all; but he looked tired and beaten up after that first round (and was supposedly sick) and Freire should have finished it. Hopefully it will act as a wakeup call for the Brazilian, because I really want to see more of him. A fully fit Warren with all this experience he's racking up is going to be a dangerous prospect. Would love to see him fight Faber down the line. Hopefully age doesn't catch up with him.

As for the result, well it really comes down to whether you scored the first round 10-8 or not. I didn't...Warren was able to get some offence in and for me, a round has to be 100% one-sided to qualify for a 10-8. That said, it was about as close to being a 10-8 as can be, and I can absolutely understand why anyone would score it as such. I might rewatch it and see what I think.

Strikeforce next...the only fight that isn't a huge mismatch on that card is the Le-Smith fight, but I'm looking forward to it.

So who's everybody picking for Strikeforce tonight?

Fedor by (T)KO, 1st or 2nd round. Werdum is the best fighter Fedor's faced in a while but it's just a dreadful stylistical match up for him. He gets outboxed by everyone and he's still the same guy who offered up side control to Kharitonov.

Scott Smith by (T)KO, 3rd round. The first fight wasn't a fluke, Cung Le is hilariously overrated and Scott Smith can still take a hell of a beating and throw a hard punch when Cung Le drops his hands.

Cyborg by TKO, 2nd round. Allegedly Cyborg is doing the same physical workout that Werdum does and until female MMA develops to the point where the sheer physical monstrosity of Cyborg doesn't matter as much and she's fighting actual female featherweights she's not going to be beaten. Or if we get another one of her.

Josh Thompson by decision. This is another mismatch. At least it's free TV.

So who's everybody picking for Strikeforce tonight?

I'm with you on the Fedor/Werdum outcome...Werdum is just all kinds of wrong as an opponent for Fedor. If he doesn't get iced early on, Fedor will sit/stand in his guard and bounce his head off the mat for a couple of rounds.

Cyborg is going to destroy this poor woman...she's what, one loss away from being a .500 fighter? Silly match up.

Thompsom by submission in the first half of the fight I rekon. He can't afford to lose here, but at the same time he's more the type of the guy that will go all-out to finish this kind of fight than ride out a 'safe' decision (if there is such a thing).

I'm taking Le over Smith. Absolutly agree that the first fight was no fluke; we know Smith can take a good kicking and come back throwing heavy leather, and Le looked like a strong breaze would have put him down towards the end of that fight. That said, I think Marshal Law is going to play it safe and keep his distance, especially in the third, and take a decision. Smith has said he's been prommissed a rubber match should he lose...good luck with that. Although this reminds me of the ugly conspiricy theories that were bubbling around the Le/Shamrock fight. Tinfoil hat time! :D

I feel sorry for Goran Reljic, who will be losing out on a TON of sponsorship money after Spike! TV had his fight with Kendall Grove demoted to the unaired prelims after Grove made some unpleasent comments in the press about Spike's manipulation of TUF.

As an FYI, fighters make much, much more money from their sponsors when their fight is broadcast on PPV as opposed to an unaired prelim. They make much, much more again if they are on a Spike! TV broadcast. So Kendall and Goran have basically gone from prime sponsorship real estate to a cursory payment.

Usually if something happens that will affect a fighter's pay, the UFC takes care of them. For example, if a fighter is hurt at the last minute and they can't find a replacement, they pay the fighters anyway, as well as compensating them for lost sponsorship money. They also give fighters who come out on the wrong side of close, hard-fought decisions their 'win' money. You'd hope they are taking care of Goran, as it was Spike that dug their heels in and refused to feature his bout. Will be interesting to see what happens if the Spike fights end early and they need to fill time...

Can you believe all of this crap coming out about UFC/Tapout/M-1. It's like two bad companies throwing feces at one another to see which one gets more covered. M-1 has long been considered a "shady" org. UFC to an extent as well.

First off, Dana and company are pretty bitter about not getting Fedor, but I honestly can't see them going to such an extreme as to threaten Tapout, who remains one of the biggest fight sponsors around.

I think what really happened is Tapout made some extremely poor quality Fedor shirts, and M-1 is pouting. Seriously, find the shirts they made for Fedor. They're splotchy and cheaply made. Looks like something you'd find on the clearance rack at Kohl's.

As for tonight, it's really up in the air. Werdum has progressed as a fighter, retaining his jiu jitsu and working diligently on his stand-up(last I heard he was still with Chute Boxe). He's theoretically out of his element, but Fedor hasn't fought an opponent with a mixed skill set since well, I can't even remember. It's always seemingly someone that's awful in one area, and decent/good in another. So I'm not as "100% sold" on Fedor winning as everyone else. I'm willing to put forth that the guy is aging, and hasn't fought top comp in a while. That said, I really hope Fedor crushes Werdum, because how annoying would it be for a guy like Werdum to smash the Fedor mystique?

Kendall Grove should learn to shut up, he's certainly not in a Stephan Bonnar/Forrest Griffin position with the company. Glad he's so ignorant that he'd cost himself and Goran some extra cash, as well as costing the fans a chance to see a really exciting fight free of charge. Hope Goran comes out explosive and wrecks Grove, and he gets his walking papers.

As for tonight, it's really up in the air. Werdum has progressed as a fighter, retaining his jiu jitsu and working diligently on his stand-up(last I heard he was still with Chute Boxe). He's theoretically out of his element, but Fedor hasn't fought an opponent with a mixed skill set since well, I can't even remember. It's always seemingly someone that's awful in one area, and decent/good in another. So I'm not as "100% sold" on Fedor winning as everyone else. I'm willing to put forth that the guy is aging, and hasn't fought top comp in a while. That said, I really hope Fedor crushes Werdum, because how annoying would it be for a guy like Werdum to smash the Fedor mystique?

Werdum is both larger and a better grappler than Fedor which gives him some chance if he ends up in top position (where weight matters about as much as skill) but his wrestling isn't strong enough to get him there and his striking isn't good enough to set up any takedowns.

I'm not at all sold on the Fedor myth and I think there's a couple guys who'd take him down and smash him from top position but Werdum isn't one of them.

Werdum is both larger and a better grappler than Fedor which gives him some chance if he ends up in top position (where weight matters about as much as skill) but his wrestling isn't strong enough to get him there and his striking isn't good enough to set up any takedowns.

I'm not at all sold on the Fedor myth and I think there's a couple guys who'd take him down and smash him from top position but Werdum isn't one of them.

Agreed, but it really just depends on how much Werdum has continued to work on his standup. Either way, assuming they don't protect Fedor I see him losing in one of his next three fights. The game is just evolving too quickly, and eventually Fedor is going to have to fight a wrestler with striking, and that's gonna be the end of the mystique(or so we all think).

Wow, all the hype I heard about how unstopple Fedor was and to see him lose was a let down. :(

Don't worry, the Strikeforce Medical Team is on it already, spinning it as a monster upset. They'll fight again next week or something.

Fedor had the worst gameplan in the history of mankind... It's like he called in Joe Warren for his training camp to try and learn how to retard strength out of submissions. I'm thoroughly disgusted right now at how BAD Fedor looked, I'm seriously hoping that he was sick as hell or on the verge of dying to have looked that amateurish... This is a dude who basically took a nap in Nogueira's guard for how many rounds?

Fedor had the worst gameplan in the history of mankind... It's like he called in Joe Warren for his training camp to try and learn how to retard strength out of submissions. I'm thoroughly disgusted right now at how BAD Fedor looked, I'm seriously hoping that he was sick as hell or on the verge of dying to have looked that amateurish... This is a dude who basically took a nap in Nogueira's guard for how many rounds?

I don't think Fedor looked bad at all and he was doing exactly what he's been doing throughout his whole career: fighting to his opponent's advantage. Rather, it speaks volumes about just how dangerous of a submission artist Werdum is. Fedor will surely learn from this mistake and maybe we will see him come back a stronger fighter who fights his game rather than his opponent's. Whatever the case, you have to acknowledge that Fedor's career is winding down at this point and his best days are behind him. It's just sad that Dana White and many UFC fans are now going to write Fedor off because of this loss.

I don't think Fedor looked bad at all and he was doing exactly what he's been doing throughout his whole career: fighting to his opponent's advantage. Rather, it speaks volumes about just how dangerous of a submission artist Werdum is. Fedor will surely learn from this mistake and maybe we will see him come back a stronger fighter who fights his game rather than his opponent's. Whatever the case, you have to acknowledge that Fedor's career is winding down at this point and his best days are behind him. It's just sad that Dana White and many UFC fans are now going to write Fedor off because of this loss.

I've not seen any evidence of his career winding down at all. He's lost one, whats the big deal?