The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

The article implies it's because of possible issues with Nogueira. That's... unfortunate. But on brett Rogers hitting his wife, according to what I read, paraphrasing, here's what's he allegedly said: "She hit me, so I hit her back." *famepalm* I hope that isn't true. There's also rumors that he might have choked her out and choked the kids.

If it gets confirmed he laid a hand on the kids, no question in my mind he should be fired on the spot. I'd fire him for hitting his wife, but going after the kids just puts the icing on the cake.

Well, what if he even said: "She hit me, so I hit her back", because that shows a lack of tack. The dude is a MMA fighter. Last thing we need is a Floyd Mayweather style behavior.

I don't know if anyone has ever seen Brett's wife, but she is no big woman. The "She hit me first" excuse doesn't wash here. You're a 270lb professional martial artist, are you telling me you can't restrain a woman half your size without punching and throttling her? Bullshido.

I guess it's back to just about beating the Warpaths of this world on nothing shows in the middle of nowhere...which is frankly still more than he deserves after this.

By the way, BH, what do you think of UFc wanting Sonnen back, but not Marquardt back? Seems odd to me. Is there a difference in their situations that warrant different treatment?

Sonnen's medical case was previously documented and hasn't been accused of doping before. He also came in to the fight at the guide lined levels for his testosterone.

Nate on the other hand has already been caught doping and came in a pretty good amount over the allowed level.

While both fighters were using drugs to boost there testosterone Sonnen had the previous medical history to back it up. That's why the UFC didn't have as big as a problem with it but because it was found in his system but not "properly" reported at the final time of testing the board had a problem with it. Also they say he perjured himself hence the longer suspension.

Nate had the opposite going on it seems. He had no previously recorded history of an illness that the UFC or the commission knew about. It does seem that he has doctor proof to back up his claims from what he said and that the commission will review it and reverse the decision. However, he knew he was over and it was because of what he was taking and tried to weigh in a fight anyways and get away with it.

I will admit to being a Sonnen fan but I don't think Nate should be allowed to fight in the UFC again. I am an amateur fight myself (4-1 currently) and have boxed and wrestled before that. I don't see how an athlete who is taking care of his body would have these problems. Sonnen has dealt with this for most of his life so its not because he's a fighter. While he seems to live a shady life outside of the UFC and he obviously needs to work on his communication skills when it comes to "revealing the state of his condition" to the commission that has no bearing on him as a cheat. He's an *******, yes, but not a cheat. He's never came in over the level of the testosterone. Nate not only was over but tried to weigh in and fight in that condition. Yes he says he was at the level required come fight time but for his opponents well being he has to do that at the time required before weigh ins.

By the way, BH, what do you think of UFc wanting Sonnen back, but not Marquardt back? Seems odd to me. Is there a difference in their situations that warrant different treatment?

There is. Nate has already had his three strikes for example, maybe more.

Strike 1: He popped hot once after a main event (the first ever Fight Night on Spike TV, no less), which was a huge no-no.

Strike 2: He had his issue in NJ, which was an issue with the UFC, whether he got an exemption or not.

Strike 3: He massively, massively screwed up last weekend - that was nobodies fault but his own.

Then you have to factor in that he was on treatment for the Palhares and Okami bouts. The Palhares bout was in Texas, where you can (almost literally) get away with anything. The Okami bout was in Germany, where the UFC do their own testing - lets just say they test, but they're not as rigorous as some commissions.

Chael did something stupid and got caught...once. He gets a second chance, Nate doesn't get a fourth, or sixth, depending on how you look at it.

So there's that.

Now I'll give you the honest answer.

Chael Sonnen makes the UFC a ton of money and is a promoter's dream. Nate Marquardt never made them a cent.

Zuffa are running a business, not a charity. They don't owe anyone a job, or a second chance. They don't have to be 'fair' when it comes to who they hire and fire. Being fair is the commission's job, Zuffa's is making money.

Do we talk about boxing in this thread as well, or should I start a placeholder thread of my own to talk about the imminent demise of David Haye?

*shrug* I wouldn't mind, but the promoting of boxing has quite a different history. Plus, MMA is more akin related to grappling than it is related to striking, in my opinoin. Well, more dependent on it, to be fair. Just an opinion, though.

Do we talk about boxing in this thread as well, or should I start a placeholder thread of my own to talk about the imminent demise of David Haye?

I can't see a boxing thread having enough interest to sustain it and I hijack this thread for kickboxing shenanigans all the time so go ahead.

Haye/Klitschko will be the first boxing match I'll have seen for a veeery long time.

GET OUT OF MY MMA THREAD WITH YOUR QUEENSBERRY RULES!!!!!!

I joke, I joke, I kid, I kid....

Can't wait for the boxing tomorrow - I actually pulled out of cornering someone to watch it :-p Haye will need a miracle shot in the early stages if he is going to do this, otherwise Klitschko will batter him to a late stoppage, if you ask me (which you should).

Crazy to think that this is the most significant heavyweight fight since Lewis fought Vitali Klitschko EIGHT years ago. And unless Haye wins and goes after Vitali himself, it'll be the last significant heavyweight fight until who knows when.

Anymore interesting facts? Seriously, that is pretty interesting.

I'm a veritable goldmine of useless knowledge. What do you want to know? :-p

Here's a good one - If Rampage had beaten Rashad and gone on to take the title from Shogun, he would have been earning nearly $8million dollars per fight, PPV shares, merchandising and sponsorships included.

I'm a veritable goldmine of useless knowledge. What do you want to know? :-p

Here's a good one - If Rampage had beaten Rashad and gone on to take the title from Shogun, he would have been earning nearly $8million dollars per fight, PPV shares, merchandising and sponsorships included.

:eek:

Interesting fact of the day: I don't know if they are still doing it, and haven't heard much about it for about a year, but in 2010 (possibly as early as 2009 actually), the UFC started reaching out to the governments of nations they wished to expand into with an interesting proposal.

They approached sports/athletic wings of various governments in countries that did not regulate MMA. Their proposal was to ban mixed martial arts, but legalise 'Ultimate Fighting'. The UFC would then have become a regulatory body (or would have overseen a locally appointed regulatory body) in the area.

Think about that for a second. They would have enforced 'UFC rules' - Unified Rules of MMA, Octagon only etc...Strikeforce, Sengoku and Dream/K-1 would have effectively been unable to run their shows. The end game would have been to completely run MMA in those countries by pricing domestic shows out of the market with expensive regulatory procedures. They would then have licensed the UFC brand and select fighters to one or two select promoters and had a big hand in the running of those events. So you'd have had UFC Philippines, UFC Sweeden, UFC China etc.

It seems like this was dialled down with the financial collapse of FEG (Dream/K-1) and Sengoku, and the purchase of Strikeforce.

What's really funny though is that while they were doing this, one of their strongest international markets (as far as demand goes, at least) almost beat them to the punch. Dave O'Donnell, former owner of Cage Rage and current owner of UCMMA (Ultimate Challenge) was (and kinda still is) busy putting together a UK MMA regulatory body.

This was mostly to protect fighters who were getting screwed on the domestic scene. It would have meant that promoters would have to put up a cash bond before a card could go ahead so that everyone would get paid (which is a huge issue in the UK) and enforced blood testing (for disease and PED's).

He was going to seek government backing/funding, and eventually getting a law passed that would have given the government (through the body) powers similar to US Athletic Commissions.

Here are the fun parts though - Dave's shows ban elbows completely. He feels that fighters don't get paid enough to get cut up, and that it looks bad for TV. Similarly, he only does three round title fights, the theory being that guys in the UK aren't making tens of thousands like their international counterparts, and as such shouldn't have to put themselves through the extra expense and grind of training for a 25 minute fight. So the UFC would have been screwed.

The body would also have generated additional funding by taxing big shows that sold over a certain number of tickets. So even if the UFC altered it's rules for UK shows, they'd be landed with a massive tax bill. Gotta love Dave O'Donnell.

More of an epic tale than a fact of the day, but meh, I'm feeling generous :-p

What's the chances of anything like that coming into play?

Also would it mean the UFC abandoning live shows in the UK?

I'd say there is as much chance of it happening as there is of Nate Marquardt and Dana White jointly endorsing a UFC-branded Testosterone replacement cream. :-D

UFC will always win out if push comes to shove. A UFC weekend in the UK brings 18,000 fans to a city - hotels, shops restaurants, bars...it's a nice little boost to local economies. Money wins out in the end.