The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

Don't you have pride for your fellow Englisman? Or do you just reserve that Bisping and Daley? ;) (joke) In any case, Hardy looked tentative the whole fight. He looked like he was afraid of getting KOed, even though Lytle's record of KOing people isn't that high. In fact, Lytle has won more finished fights through submission way more than KOing people.

Kidding aside, I feel like Hardy not being cut after all of this some how represents everything that is wrong with the sport. UFC want to be seen as a legitimate and evolving sport and yet consistently encourage guys to "stand and bang" and ignore aspects of it. Fertitta says on twitter he won't be cut because he "likes guys that war." I didn't see Dan Hardy go to war, I saw him be a sitting duck for three rounds, attempt to steal a round with a takedown and get utterly embarrassed. That was the most satisfying takedown rejection since Gil Melendez against Kawajiri with his "NO, NO, NO" elbow smashes.

Someone on sherdog suggested Akiyama vs. Hardy, losers leaves town style. I absolutely cannot describe how much I want to see that fight. That may contradict some of what I said but I really do not care. Sexyama would murder him.

Kidding aside, I feel like Hardy not being cut after all of this some how represents everything that is wrong with the sport. UFC want to be seen as a legitimate and evolving sport and yet consistently encourage guys to "stand and bang" and ignore aspects of it. Fertitta says on twitter he won't be cut because he "likes guys that war." I didn't see Dan Hardy go to war, I saw him be a sitting duck for three rounds, attempt to steal a round with a takedown and get utterly embarrassed. That was the most satisfying takedown rejection since Gil Melendez against Kawajiri with his "NO, NO, NO" elbow smashes.

Someone on sherdog suggested Akiyama vs. Hardy, losers leaves town style. I absolutely cannot describe how much I want to see that fight. That may contradict some of what I said but I really do not care. Sexyama would murder him.

There's another issue at hand also-they think they need a British Star. Daley is not likely giong to be back in the UFC until someone changes their mind (or, this is not a joke, Daley kisses up to Dana like Tito Ortiz has done for the past couple of years), and people don't really like Bisping, mainly from his trash-talk against Dan Henderson, and partly right now because of his suspect knee to a grounded Jorge Rivera (which we do not need to discuss more).

However, despite my distate for Bisping, I think they can rely on Bisping for a bit longer. But my guess is they want a back-up plan. Or UFC can hire more British Fighters.

Well that was a very fun show, I was pulling for Miller but not unhappy to see Henderson win especially with such a tremendous fight (which didn't win FOTN apparently, losing out to Hardy's routine of getting hit with punches that came from somewhere around Pluto.)

I did think Hardy/Lytle was basically a perfect crystallization of Lytle's career, a stupid sloppy fun brawl where Lytle's chin and his lack of power means it goes the distance but as soon as it hits the ground Lytle flexed his jits and instantly had more success in ten seconds than he had for fourteen minutes of brawling.

Cerrone looked like dynamite, he's usually a slow starter (he seriously looked like he was underwater in the first round against Kelly) but he came out like a house on fire and had that sweet left body punch > ground and pound TKO, it would make Shawn Tompkins proud.

I only watched the TV portion of the show but it continued the trend of an underwhelming PPV being quickly followed by a tremendous TV special. All four TV fights were exciting with Henderson/Miller and Lytle/Hardy being exceptionally great. I was thrilled to see Hardy tap out but not so thrilled to find out he isn't getting cut. The guy has lost four in a row and that should be more than enough to earn him a pink slip and spend time in the lower leagues plugging the huge holes in his game. Sadly, UFC appeared to be more worried about BAMMA and Bellator than they should be; Hardy isn't going to turn things around for either company, and even if he is on top, he's been shown to woefully lack the skills to match his charisma. Still, a great night of fights and I'm really looking forward to UFC Rio.

Sad day for MMA: http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/08/14/famed-mma-trainer-shawn-tompkins-dead-at-37/

Edit: Sorry didn't check the previous pages. Anyway Hardy might get cut after another loss. I think the UFC is not so much scared of Hardy becoming a star elsewhere as they're waiting to see whether Hardy turns out to be the Thiago Silva/Chris Leben of Britain since you can only milk Bisping a few times. Among British Fighters he's probably coming off as one of the more open to cross training at elite gyms for them and maybe that might not translate to talent but maybe it might and the last thing UFC needs is to reduce their named British MMA fighters that have name value.

I only watched the TV portion of the show but it continued the trend of an underwhelming PPV being quickly followed by a tremendous TV special. All four TV fights were exciting with Henderson/Miller and Lytle/Hardy being exceptionally great. I was thrilled to see Hardy tap out but not so thrilled to find out he isn't getting cut. The guy has lost four in a row and that should be more than enough to earn him a pink slip and spend time in the lower leagues plugging the huge holes in his game. Sadly, UFC appeared to be more worried about BAMMA and Bellator than they should be; Hardy isn't going to turn things around for either company, and even if he is on top, he's been shown to woefully lack the skills to match his charisma. Still, a great night of fights and I'm really looking forward to UFC Rio.

Do you really think UFC is worried that Hardy is joining Bellator? Belattor has full of of talented fighters that would destroy Dan Hardy. As for BAMMA, even if they cut Dan Hardy, it shouldn't be surprising he joined BAMMA. It would make sense if that happened. And joining BAMMA wouldn't hurt the UFC any.

Like I said before, I think they are more concerned that they need Britiish stars, rather than Dan Hardy joining competition. He's lost 4 in row, like you said. He might have some name recgoniition, but a 4-losses-in-a-row fighter isn't exactly a good bargaining position or a strong position.

Sad day for MMA: http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/08/14/famed-mma-trainer-shawn-tompkins-dead-at-37/

Edit: Sorry didn't check the previous pages. Anyway Hardy might get cut after another loss. I think the UFC is not so much scared of Hardy becoming a star elsewhere as they're waiting to see whether Hardy turns out to be the Thiago Silva/Chris Leben of Britain since you can only milk Bisping a few times. Among British Fighters he's probably coming off as one of the more open to cross training at elite gyms for them and maybe that might not translate to talent but maybe it might and the last thing UFC needs is to reduce their named British MMA fighters that have name value.

Agreed, but I don't think it's a lack of milking Bisping. Bisping is in a weaker division, and they are being rather protective of he who he fights (for good reason). The good news is, Bisping has been a lot more cautious since his brutal loss to Henderson, and I think he probably has a better ground game than Hardy does.

Absolutely no way Cerrone is getting it now, he's at least two fights away.

The top three contenders are Guida, Bendo and, dependent on how he does against J Lau, Guillard. But because the title fight and Guillard aren't till October, literally nothing makes sense other than putting Guida against Henderson. After the momentum-derailing-and-destroying-respectively losses of Pettis and Miller it'll be refreshing to have a fight where BOTH men get a title shot with a win, and it'll be a great one at that. Based on last night my money would be on Henderson, though admittedly I've only seen him fight twice.

Guida last night was saying (while very annoyingly referring to himself as "we") he thought he should get the winner of EM3 because he beat Pettis who beat Henderson. Total nonsense, it's not that simple and he knows it.

I forgot all about Melvin. He'll either win quickly swinging wildly or get grinded down for a loss. I'd rather not put Guida against Henderson because you've got two viable contenders that can do some decent business, based on their popularity and/or the nature of their last win, and you'd lose out on one of those if they face off.

I forgot all about Melvin. He'll either win quickly swinging wildly or get grinded down for a loss. I'd rather not put Guida against Henderson because you've got two viable contenders that can do some decent business, based on their popularity and/or the nature of their last win, and you'd lose out on one of those if they face off.

I think it's better they do that and get a legit undisputable contender than try to protect them and them get beaten down like has happened the last two times they've tried to do that in the division. In other divisions it may work but LW is too stacked with too many contenders, they have to do it properly. There is no way one of them losing will be an issue because there will be a lot of contenders by the time the fight comes around.

Do you really think UFC is worried that Hardy is joining Bellator? Belattor has full of of talented fighters that would destroy Dan Hardy. As for BAMMA, even if they cut Dan Hardy, it shouldn't be surprising he joined BAMMA. It would make sense if that happened. And joining BAMMA wouldn't hurt the UFC any.

I happen to know for a fact that Zuffa are absolutely concerned about BAMMA taking their market share in the UK while their signing 'UFC guys' like Escudero, Trigg, Daley, Marquardt etc. They're concerned about it to the point that they're doing things about it.

They also don't want fighters they cut going to Bellator...the word amongst managers is that cut fighters are being told not to go their if they want a swift call back to the UFC after a couple of wins.

Problem with Bisping is if they protect him too much he's gonna end up looking like he's earned a title shot and get absolutely murdered.

Pretty much the same thing that happened with Hardy then, lol.

I happen to know for a fact that Zuffa are absolutely concerned about BAMMA taking their market share in the UK while their signing 'UFC guys' like Escudero, Trigg, Daley, Marquardt etc. They're concerned about it to the point that they're doing things about it.

They also don't want fighters they cut going to Bellator...the word amongst managers is that cut fighters are being told not to go their if they want a swift call back to the UFC after a couple of wins.

*chortle* Really? I mean, You know better than I do, but if you let people go, then when do you expect? If you pretty much say "you are never working here again, EVER" or they believe they are unable to get back in the UFC for other reasons, then BAMMA getting some ex-fighters is going to happen. "Tough cowdung", as they say. :p

Absolutely no way Cerrone is getting it now, he's at least two fights away.

The top three contenders are Guida, Bendo and, dependent on how he does against J Lau, Guillard. But because the title fight and Guillard aren't till October, literally nothing makes sense other than putting Guida against Henderson. After the momentum-derailing-and-destroying-respectively losses of Pettis and Miller it'll be refreshing to have a fight where BOTH men get a title shot with a win, and it'll be a great one at that. Based on last night my money would be on Henderson, though admittedly I've only seen him fight twice.

Guida last night was saying (while very annoyingly referring to himself as "we") he thought he should get the winner of EM3 because he beat Pettis who beat Henderson. Total nonsense, it's not that simple and he knows it.

I think it's because he thinks Bendo can beat him pretty badly. He can't out-cardio Bendo, probably wouldn't be able to out-wrestle him, and if starts to brawl with Bendo, Bendo is going to crack him pretty badly.

Problem with Bisping is if they protect him too much he's gonna end up looking like he's earned a title shot and get absolutely murdered. I'd still love to see the fight for the hype though.

What else can they do for Bisping, though? Miller is going to be a pretty tough opponent for him, and if he can't beat Miller...

How do you know all this? :p

As for hardy, they can send him to strikeforce.

I think the UFC being concerned (although I'll admit this is the first time I've heard of it) is because they are simply a quality brand. They are not the type of brand who establishes a near monopoly and then try to muscle their way out of the sport. They are (so far) legitimate not only in being the best promotion but being the one who delivers the best product in MMA and that means everything from being the most up to date in keeping up who the hardcore wants but also in who are the diamonds in the rough. BAMMA and Bellator, especially Bellator, I would assume are practically d-Leagues as far as the UFC is concerned.

UFC knows Bellator isn't Strikeforce, Pride or Affliction. These guys are doing what the UFC did to survive in the past and they are doing it in a more stable environment and they have a model that's built to anticipate the next wave of evolution in MMA's popularity. A model that may even allow them to become popular without needing to have the top fighters of the sport.

This doesn't mean Hardy is more important to these promotions than he is for the UFC. Dan Hardy is not a household name fighter and he is not an exciting fighter. Hardy is someone that might stick longer than Bisping and who might be more legitimate than Bisping because he doesn't do Starnes and Pray. UFC needs that more than the other two promotion.

He is actually overrated and underrated in all areas. He's not a one dimensional fighter like fans want to think he is. He's actually a mediocre jack of all trades with above average technique everywhere. His takedowns are solid but he's not a true wrestler and he can't take advantage of top position. His striking is solid but he has little power and not good enough footwork to be a true MMA boxer. He might even be categorized as a kickboxer who doesn't kick. His submission defense is solid but he can't defend against lesser used submissions like Lytle's windpipe choke from mount. He is at his best day, a guy that might force Jon Fitch to beat him via decision due to sub attempts rather than someone who anyone can sub once they have him down.

Edit: Also forgot: because of the GSP hype thing, Dan Hardy has several good fights that he can be put in right now. Ludwig, Serra, Diaz (if he loses to GSP), Story, Alves...all fights that can sell the winner to be better than they are. You don't fire him unless the fighter totally maxes out his fight value. If Hardy fails, he can always be cut but if Hardy wins a couple... he can still serve to pad up some unknown top contenders that are still question marks like Jake Ellenberger. WW is a division where the UFC specifically want almost everyone to not fight Jon Fitch to contendership and guys like Hardy that give off the illusion of exciting fights are a lot more needed than in any division right now.

@ampulator

The days of the MW being weak is long gone. Also Bisping has enough mileage under his belt that the UFC can no longer shield him. At best, they give him Akiyama-level fighters and Bisping is really really lucky that Akiyama turned out to be more of an under-performer because Akiyama could have easily been another Hendo.

The only easy fights left for Bisping is avenging the Wandy loss and maybe getting a rematch with Leben and those could easily turn against him. Also UFC knows Bisping isn't enough to generate an interest and he's not enough for the UFC to establish that they have the best British fighters. He's also not a young prospect. I'm not saying Dan Hardy is the answer but groomed enough, Dan could easily learn to gameplan like Forrest and actually get a reputation for being one of the most elite British WWs out there. The guy has the skillset to be durable and he has the skillset to make it seem like he's in an exciting fight win or lose. He is someone that may get eaten alive by better British fighters eventually but he can also be someone who is sort of a gatekeeper to decide which are the real elite British fighters that the UFC can book against the best WWs.

Much, much worse. With Hardy they were able to hype up his courage in surviving submission attempts and put it down to GSP's great wrestling exploiting a weakness. If Bisping fought Silva he would just be absolutely destroyed in the strongest part of his game.

The strongest part of Bisping's game is his ground game. He just often strikes once he fought top competition. Bisping started out his career as a Brandon Vera-like fighter.

Oh and I don't know where you saw anyone put down Hardy's sub defense. GSP gets tons of flak for that fight. There has never been an excuse for his performance. It didn't even make Serra good even though Hardy trained with him.

I think the UFC being concerned (although I'll admit this is the first time I've heard of it) is because they are simply a quality brand. BAMMA and Bellator, especially Bellator, I would assume are practically d-Leagues as far as the UFC is concerned.

With Bellator, it's really simple. If the UFC move off Spike, Bellator will in all likelihood get their spot. Bellator also are embroiled in some legal stuff with the UFC, and like to tie guys up in constricting contracts. They wanted Marquardt for three years, or something crazy. So that's Bellator.

With BAMMA, it's different and more complicated. This is one of those, "I know something, but I can't tell you" moments, which I hate, because it makes me look like a smug douchebag :-p But when I'm told something off the record that's where it stays...professional courtesy and the fact that I don't abuse people's trust.

All I'll say is that the UFC had some huge, huge plans for the UK market which recently fell through. If they hadn't, BAMMA, and anyone else vying for a decent share of the UK market, wouldn't have lasted long. Keep an eye on the UFC UK news over the coming weeks and months and you'll see some interesting stuff.

Here's the thing with the UK market...there really isn't one. Fans complain that the UFC never comes over, yet they won't go to a British show, be it BAMMA, UCMMA, Cage Warriors, OMMAC, Chuckle Up or something smaller to help and support the UK scene. The market is there, but only for the UFC product.

The UFC's problem with BAMMA is that it's presenting a very, very similar product. While OMMAC are content to run small, regular events with prospects and local talent and UCMMA play to the Troxy crowd every 8 weeks, BAMMA are coming out all guns blazing, getting world-wide distribution and signing "UFC guys". They're essentially cashing in, and offering a cheaper, more regular alternative to UFC events at a time when the promotion is struggling to get shows done over here.

Sure, BAMMA and the UFC aren't in the same league, not by a million miles...but money is tight in the UK at the moment and the fact is that there is only a finite amount of it that people will spend on MMA in a year. The UFC's worry is that there will be a lot of people who will have spent their MMA money for the year by the time they come over. With BAMMA intending to up the schedule next year, and signing guys like Nate and Daley, that fear is only going to grow. That's why they had the plans they did, which would have crushed the likes of BAMMA.

Well it's hard to argue with vague facts and I'm certainly not trying to discredit your words but what you described is often a symptom of smaller markets.

It's not that there isn't one, it's that the UK MMA scene has always been tied to Bisping as their MMA Jordan and the UFC as the one who exposed Bisping to his status. Of course the UK supporters won't support any other product. These other products are relying on the product of MMA where as fans want the product of Bisping and Bisping-like storylines in their MMA shows.

Guys like Hardy just don't bring that impact. What Dan Hardy brings is this idea that the British Fighters are getting better and they are slowly taking over the UFC. That there is more Bispings to come and show up in the top rankings of a premier sports. In order for Dan Hardy to be useful to BAMMA and deadly to the UFC, he has to be fired in the same way as Daley.

I'm not discounting that the UFC people may be worrying about the money but I think this is something that they always worry about across every state and across every country. It's just good quality business to over-worry. However I think the UFC also knows that BAMMA has a strong chance of shooting themselves in the foot with over-promotion and if they were really sadistic they could fire Hardy as a hook to push BAMMA into becoming more like a British Strikeforce but as you portrayed, the UFC is more interested with delivering a quality product rather than ruining a quality product.

Obviously you know more details than me but all I'm saying is that the UFC isn't really dealing with anything new here. Generally this is how the UFC has tended to approach these actions that's why they rarely get into as much money problems as other top promotions. The idea of a UFC market is also something that happens often times with "the" brands that has been far more established than their competitors and it's something that even in America applies to it's MMA markets. However I doubt UFC doesn't realize that their market is built more on the Bisping brand than the UFC brand and I doubt they are ignorant of these two dilemmas:

1) Bisping is as much their friend as their enemy. If they don't establish a foothold in MMA now, Bisping can hold them hostage and can ask for more ludicrous contracts in order to continue to help spread the UFC brand.

2) Bisping will lose his luster sooner than later. As you hinted, Daley is someone that could replace Bisping.

This is where fighters like Dan Hardy are more important to the UFC than in any other brands. Even if Hardy loses, as long as he doesn't get dominated, the UFC can always spread and accumulate enough fighters that they can build up on the tail of Bisping's hype before things starts to fall apart and become more expensive to push through. At the same time, if any of these guys try to hold the UFC hostage, the amount of British fighters UFC might have already shown to the UK market means they don't need to be tied to one bad unstable contract just to continue having a market. Every show where some other British fighter does great in the UFC while they still have the likes of Bisping headlining their shows is incrementally allowing the UFC to separate themselves from Bisping's brand and the more fighters are in here, the less likely these fighters would all go on massive boring losing streaks and every one of these fighters' great performances win or lose count towards pushing the ball towards the UFC brand and away from Bisping.

The days of the MW being weak is long gone. Also Bisping has enough mileage under his belt that the UFC can no longer shield him. At best, they give him Akiyama-level fighters and Bisping is really really lucky that Akiyama turned out to be more of an under-performer because Akiyama could have easily been another Hendo.

The only easy fights left for Bisping is avenging the Wandy loss and maybe getting a rematch with Leben and those could easily turn against him. Also UFC knows Bisping isn't enough to generate an interest and he's not enough for the UFC to establish that they have the best British fighters. He's also not a young prospect. I'm not saying Dan Hardy is the answer but groomed enough, Dan could easily learn to gameplan like Forrest and actually get a reputation for being one of the most elite British WWs out there. The guy has the skillset to be durable and he has the skillset to make it seem like he's in an exciting fight win or lose. He is someone that may get eaten alive by better British fighters eventually but he can also be someone who is sort of a gatekeeper to decide which are the real elite British fighters that the UFC can book against the best WWs.

The MW division, comparatively, is still weaker than other division. Does it have world-class talent beyond Anderson Silva? Of course. The problem isn't so much there aren't enough people that can challenge Silva, but rather, it's the rest of the division is a bit thin.

And I'm neither of fan nor a hater of Bisping. I don't like his attitude, but I think he's learn his lesson since his brutal loss to Dan Henderson (though the hard way). However, the problem remains. He's not so good of a striker that it compensates for his ground game and wrestling (or not much of thereof). And unfortunately, protected or not, the only thing we can do is hope he's focused on his ground game and wrestling.

As long as Britain fighters don't have better wrestling and/or BJJ training, it's hard for them to move onto promotions where they are more of these fighters. On top of that, Brazil has ton of elite MMA strikers, and there's more around the world as well.

I think that's just the illusion Silva gives off but even in the past, someone pointed how the top WWs never dared to step up to MW and how guys (including Bisping and Hendo) actually got worse dropping down to MW.

Nowadays post-Sonnen and with Vitor in the division, I think the division is arguably the deepest. The guys just aren't fighting each other quite yet.

For one, every risk of puncher's chance that used to belong to HW is now part of MW due to Leben and Vitor's improvements.

LHW still has the better top fighters but MW was made barren because of drug controversy otherwise the top ranked fighters may not be as well known but everything sure is well rounded.

Speaking of well rounded, with Florian dropping down, LW is pretty much a wrestlers' haven now where as in MW you have to deal with the large wrestlers in Sonnen and Okami, you have your Koscheck in Munoz but with better submission, you have your true submission artists in Paul Harris and Maia and what MW lost in Nate - they now have Stann.

The guys on top may not be killing each other but that is now the hardest ladder to get through for any fighter. If the UFC doesn't hand gift anyone a quick road to Anderson, only MW is where you have to go through elite BJJ, elite wrestling, elite well rounded MMA and hard as hell punchers while still having to deal with the backstepping footwork of Bisping and the techniques of a Miller, Akiyama (if he ever moves up from WW), Wandy (if he fights like how he fought Bisping). No other UFC division right now has that depth. That's not adding Silva who himself is one of a kind.

Let's presume we end up with Bisping/Silva for the MW title as a major stadium event in the UK. If Silva blows through Bisping, which might or might not happening depending on Silva's overall condition when it finally takes place, what damage would it do to the UFC in the UK for their biggest drawing card in the market to get slaughtered?

Let's presume we end up with Bisping/Silva for the MW title as a major stadium event in the UK. If Silva blows through Bisping, which might or might not happening depending on Silva's overall condition when it finally takes place, what damage would it do to the UFC in the UK for their biggest drawing card in the market to get slaughtered?

I'm gonna say not much. We're used to our guys never making it to the top I think. Hatton was no less popular after getting spanked by Mayweather, and there was a huge movement for him to fight in the UK again after Pacquiao knocked his block off.

Anderson is legit one of, or the actual, best in the world right now (but that's a debate for another day)...I think UK fans understand that and there would be no shame in Bisping losing to him. I'd actually give Mike a good three rounds with Silva based on his footwork alone. Actually surprised to see people ragging on his striking...technically speaking, he's one of the best strikers in the division, behind only Anderson in my book. It's just that my granny hits harder and has a better chin :-p Seriously though, most fighters speak to regard Bisping as one of the better strikers out there, on a technical level.

But I digress. I don't think losing to Silva would kill Bisping's drawing ability (which I think has peaked already - I don't see the UFC running a stadium in the UK)...infact, hanging with the champ while getting smacked around for three rounds might actually go some way to getting rid of the anti-Bisping feeling that is building up in the UK and making him a bigger attraction.