The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

I think it always depends on what Shogun's physical condition is. he's been fighting for a long, long time. If he's in-shape and not injured, Shogun is fine.

His knees are gone for good, he'll lose if he's against someone who wants it.

And Silva - what is there to say. I ****ing love that man! Now THIS was an event to show someone if they'd never watched MMA before.

Not really. People tend to forget pre-fight, Chael Sonnen wasn't meant to be a threat to Anderson. (Hype-wise, if Chael didn't talk, he had a lower perceived chance than Leites)

There may not be many MWs that could/would adopt the Sonnen style of fighting but I can guarantee you that there are "many perceived not ready" candidates (with better sub defense than Sonnen) that Silva wouldn't psych out. Okami is just not one of them. He has always been a better Gleison Tibau that's why it took so long for the rematch and he got it mostly from his improvement after training with Chael and in a manner that didn't really help him against Anderson and it was clear if Okami was going to defeat Anderson, it had to be based on him completely fighting differently from the way he does and he cannot for one minute stay as the same fighter.

The fight outcome really hurts Okami. If he's not going to be cut, I think UFC might even encourage him to change weights. Actually I think if GSP/Silva doesn't happen soon, there are many guys that are going to be hopping divisions. Forrest's stock has been completely obliterated and he's one Rampage loss from changing the LHW scene. Losing Nate and now Okami losing means Jake Shields might even be encouraged to move to MW to set up a number one contender fight against Silva depending on how his eventual fight with Fitch happens and if Fitch even stays relevant. Let's not get even started about Schaub.

Frankly I haven't seen a UFC event happen like this in quite a while. Not only does it have major long term implications but everyone doesn't seem to be talking about it as much and even the major forums appear to be taking the fight results for granted relative to past UFCs.