The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

Ohhhh shiiiit. That is massive. Not sure how I feel about having to stay up till 6 the night before new year's, but hey. One of few fights where right now I genuinely don't care who wins. A Reem KO would be awesome, but Lesnar is Lesnar.

Only 5am now! :-D Sleep all day afterwards and you're good to go for a late one on NYE!

Lesnar got Cain down to begin with...I imagine he'll get Reem down, it's a matter of whether he gets back up.

Also Guida vs. Bendo on Fox. So they've got their backup plan sorted if the HW title fight ends in one round, just a shame if it doesn't a lot of people won't get to see this.

I agree. Brock's initial shot is quite good... it's if you get up consistently, as we saw his match against Cain, he gets "lost".

I'm not sure Overeem can stop the initial takedown. But if he can get up on consistent basis, then Brock's in trouble.

According to Brett Okamoto of ESPN, Overeem's contract is long-term and exclusive to the UFC. He was also offered an immediate title shot, but he didn't want to wait for the Cain/JDS winner.

A lot of credit to both fighters for making this fight happen. Overeem could have waited and Brock could have picked an easier return fight, but instead both guys stepped up. Very cool.

According to Brett Okamoto of ESPN, Overeem's contract is long-term and exclusive to the UFC. He was also offered an immediate title shot, but he didn't want to wait for the Cain/JDS winner.

A lot of credit to both fighters for making this fight happen. Overeem could have waited and Brock could have picked an easier return fight, but instead both guys stepped up. Very cool.

Maybe a number one contender match?

Two things to consider are what condition Brock is going to be in when it comes to training and how Overeem fares against a guy who will take the fight to him when he is having to test clean and perhaps lacks the aggression that one obtains from 'supplements'.

Reem doesn't take steriods.

Rory MacDonald vs. Brian Ebersole for UFC 140, that is a good match-up.

Rory MacDonald vs. Brian Ebersole for UFC 140, that is a good match-up.

Talk about a downwards move.

That seems like the last sort of fight Ebersole wanted and he's basically just being fed to Rory. Makes sense they want to slow Rory down a bit but still, I expect him to be higher up the ladder than this.

Should be a good fight though, if one sided.

That seems like the last sort of fight Ebersole wanted and he's basically just being fed to Rory. Makes sense they want to slow Rory down a bit but still, I expect him to be higher up the ladder than this.

I agree with you, but I did think he would lose against Lytle and Hallman, but I was wrong.

It is downward, but not when compared to Mike Pyle. I would say Ebersole is where Pyle is at. They probably though they were pushing him too fast when they set Rory up with Condit. Had he beaten Condit, he would have been knocking on the Top Ten by now.

It is downward, but not when compared to Mike Pyle. I would say Ebersole is where Pyle is at. They probably though they were pushing him too fast when they set Rory up with Condit. Had he beaten Condit, he would have been knocking on the Top Ten by now.

He did beat Condit, in my mind. The stoppage was way to early you could see it, Condit throws a punch, stops to catch breath, throws a punch, stops to catch breath, etc... until the ref called it. Would have been 29-28.

Haven't seen it in a while but I remember thinking it was legit.

What I loved most about that fight was Greg Jackson's "THIS IS ABOUT WAR!" speech to Condit before the final round.

Ref stopped it via TKO with 7 seconds left. In hindsight, I think he should have let it go the 7 seconds or make Condit KO/sub him. However I also think a ref shouldn't be looking at the clock and making decisions based on time. What if there was 30 seconds? 60 seconds? three minutes left? Should the decision be different? He was quite dazed after the stoppage, as in he didn't jump right up complaining. So it is what it is but he was 7 seconds away from victory.

I personally prefer the old nipple tweak to the between corner speeches he does for camera :D

you also have to remember i am pro Canadian, so yeah.

You forget that Condit trains with GSP. So,in fact, you are a "traitor" *joke*. :p

Ref stopped it via TKO with 7 seconds left. In hindsight, I think he should have let it go the 7 seconds or make Condit KO/sub him. However I also think a ref shouldn't be looking at the clock and making decisions based on time. What if there was 30 seconds? 60 seconds? three minutes left? Should the decision be different? He was quite dazed after the stoppage, as in he didn't jump right up complaining. So it is what it is but he was 7 seconds away from victory.

I personally prefer the old nipple tweak to the between corner speeches he does for camera :D

I think the ref stoppage was just. The ref's ultimate job is to protect the fighters-and if that means early stoppages happen, so be it. I prefer early stoppages over late stoppages.

Who was the ref for that match, anyway? For matches were fighters have weak chins, I prefer Herb Dean-he protects the fighters the best. But for matches were close calls are going to be likely, Josh Rosenthal is the better referee. I have no idea why they assigned Rosenthal to the Leben/Silva fight, and I have no idea why they assigned Herb to the Hendo/Fedor fight.

You forget that Condit trains with GSP. So,in fact, you are a "traitor" *joke*. :p

Kind of, but not really. I'm sure they've trained together at some point, but GSP spends the majority of his time at TriStar in Montreal, and Condit is at Jackson's in Albuquerque. Condit's even said he'd be foolish to turn down a fight against GSP, and considering GSP encouraged Marquardt to drop to WW (another fighter under the Jackson umbrella), I doubt GSP would have much of a problem fighting Condit.

I think the only two Jackson welterweights that wouldn't fight each other would be GSP and MacDonald since they actually train together day in and day out.