The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

Mad excited about Cain/JDS for three reasons; 1) because it's probably going to be a great fight 2) because they're both swell dudes and I won't feel bummed if either guy wins 3) because they're both heavyweights so I really have no idea who's going to win.

You know, there's also the potential for this to become an Ultimate Staring Contest, or for either to gas out. When Velasquez started training again, Cormier called him "Mark Hunt". Dos Santos fades a bit after first round, and fades a lot more by the third round. They could also respect each other skills to the point of being too cautious, or let the moment get to them and become gunshy.

But... I hope you are right, and that I'm wrong.

Yea it's a toss up. I think Henderson and Guida are gonna meet in the middle and chuck knuckles. They might try to wrestle but I don't think they'll be the case.

Cain/JDS is a little more interesting to me from a strategic standpoint. Both guys are capable of decent ground work, we just don't see it that often because they're both stellar at keeping the fight where they want to. Which, as Amp said, could lead to a bit of a stalemate when you factor in either guys' questionable gas tanks.

But I think they'll throw bombs. All four fighters know this is a huge fight for them and a special one. They want to be the guy that people remember. They want to be the superstar that invades the mainstream and be THE guy who people identify the sport with.

All four fighters know this is a huge fight for them and a special one. They want to be the guy that people remember. They want to be the superstar that invades the mainstream and be THE guy who people identify the sport with.

Two, surely? Guida \ Henderson isn't on the broadcast, they aren't going to become mainstream because casual fans aren't going to see them.

Oh I may be mistaken. I thought they were showing Guida/Henderson. They were on the "main card" listing in the article I had read in my local paper. But UFC.com has them on facebook so yea I guess it's just the one fight, unless it's a short one.

My bad. Adam exposed me as full of crap :-)

They should have shown it, but I'm not too disappointed. One fight on TV seems a little bit too little. But, whatever. It is what it is.

The method behind the madness is that they want to spend some time telling the story of Velasquez vs dos Santos. My guess is that the fight will start around 10 mins into the broadcast. A 25 minute fight is 29 mins with round breaks, so when you factor in walkouts and pre-post fight announcements, they'll need to leave around 40 mins all said and done. That'd leave 10 mins of studio time after the bout to wrap things up.

They're going to have Dana and Brock Lesnar in the studio apparently, so if the fight ends after a round or two I'd expect a decent amount of time to be devoted to Brock discussing his bout with Overeem, and how he'd beat the winner of the title fight.

It's a solid format IMO. I doubt there will be a massive amount of viewers who have never seen any form of MMA before, but there will definitely be large number of casual fans getting their first real UFC experience. Makes sense to tell them what they're watching and get them invested.

Even if they'd had an hour and a half, I'd still have only gone with the one fight. The Hendo/Guida fight has the potential to be very ground-heavy...especially if Guida decides he wants to ride the bout out from top position. That could potentially turn a lot of fans off. 10 mins of hype, then throwing us right into the action makes perfect sense.

Still only gonna be Cain vs junior

Probably. But if Cain vs. JDS only last a couple of seconds... and there's a potential for that, then Fox comes out looking really stupid. Let's be real here-I'm pretty sure everyone believes that Fox wanted to do this, not the UFC, especially if there are some great fights on the undercard.

But if Cain vs. JDS only last a couple of seconds... and there's a potential for that, then Fox comes out looking really stupid. Let's be real here-I'm pretty sure everyone believes that Fox wanted to do this, not the UFC

Not really. You have to plan for the worst case scenario. The worst case if they put two fights on the broadcast is that both fights go the distance, taking up the full 60 mins. That means no intro/outro, no analysis, no commercials, or commercials between rounds/breaking into fights, generally taking viewers out of the experience.

The big gain here is that they're going to make a star out of Velasquez, dos Santos or both. They were tossing around the idea of having an hour and a half show with two fights at one point, but the joint decision was made to go with the current format. People who want to see the other fights know exactly how to do so.

Isn't it amazing how judges 'seeing sense' always seems to coincide with the viewpoint of the person hoping they see sense.

lol I think it fits perfectly, had Guida won it would've been the wrong decision, and he's the sort of fighter who could potentially hypnotise the judges with his weird movement and so on ;)