The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

My god.

I know little of how Dana et al will actually feel about this but I've got a funny feeling it could actually be a very good thing. A huge, early stoppage so that even those with the shortest of attention spans sees it play out and the incredible scene afterwards of two such humble men, JDS crying and receiving the belt...some really memorable scenes.

My god.

I know little of how Dana et al will actually feel about this but I've got a funny feeling it could actually be a very good thing. A huge, early stoppage so that even those with the shortest of attention spans sees it play out and the incredible scene afterwards of two such humble men, JDS crying and receiving the belt...some really memorable scenes.

I agree for the most part, but so short of fight, to not even put fights on after, seems like wasted airtime, especially for Fox.

Yea I think they should have been prepared to air one of the many thrillers in the undercard.

It was honestly what like two minutes of MMA and 58 minutes of talking? Not really representative of the fantastic product UFC puts out. I think it was a bad choice, from what I understand, on Fox's part. UFC is pretty great at putting on shows so hopefully Dana can talk them into a better structure next time around.

He praised JDS too. He criticized Cain, which seems weird to mainstream sports people but Dana talks too much. We know this. He said plenty of nice things about Junior before and after the fight.

The problem was that they had to fill all that time. A fight that last under two minutes for an hour long broadcast = too much talking.

This is based on the fast nationals, so it's an approximation, particularly when it comes to the West Coast because the show didn't air in prime time.

3.1 rating

5.7 million viewers

The actual rating will be available on Monday or Tuesday.

Everyone is happy with the number given there was only one minute of fighting.

It wasn't the best foot to put forward but it was far from being an unmitigated disaster, which I've seen some people adamantly insist it was. Having seen the FOX version, they did a fairly good job of getting over the sport in general, the importance of the fight and the personalities of both fighters. The fight only going 64-seconds was obviously not ideal, especially for getting a good rating, and Cain getting blitzed with relative ease might have made him look like a weak champion to the uninitiated, which is understandable given that they are, well, uninitiated. But the important thing to remember, and this has been lost on so many people it's not even funny, is that this is not the end game. This isn't the end of the process of introducing the UFC and to a lesser degree MMA to the wider audience, but the beginning of it. Sure, it started off a little bumpy, but I still think it was a good enough start that they're not going forward at a disadvantage.

I do believe I called it way back when that JDS would be the one to rise to the top. I don't see Lesner taking the strap from him and Overeem would be a very interesting fight. Just think, Jr. couldn't walk 11 days before the fight because of a knee injury that needs surgery to repair. Hope is able to actually hold the strap for a while.

As far as the actuall event went I just felt flat to me. Didn't really feel big or important. If I was a first time viewer I would be far from impressed and not just because it was a short fight. Maybe it is just me though. Maybe it felt like a let down because I had to wait almost an hr after the amazing co-main event.

They were more focused on trying to get you to know who these guys are. And I liked their version of the storyline. It wasn't WWE-style "THESE GUYS DONT LIKE EACH OTHER. KING!!"

It was very real and very emotional. They're the kind of stories you want to tell to potential new fans of the sport. Not something cheesy and fake, but something real. Talking about what great guys they were and how much hard work and sacrifice got them to be at the level they are at.

It wasn't the best scenario possible but was FAR from the worst scenario possible ::cough UFC 33 cough::

Instead of complaining, I wish more people focused on the great things about the show. Yes, it was a short fight. Yes, it would have been better if it was longer. But in the end, we saw a definitive finish and a great guy having a real emotional moment.

On the anniversary of Eddie's death we're reminded of a moment when we saw a respected worker get his due when Eddie won his belt. An unforgettable moment. I felt that way for Junior last night. Great guy, amazing work ethic. Tough upbringing. He's got a style fans love to see. No one felt like he was being "groomed" for that shot. He earned it. The real fans knew it. The new fans got the idea. The place went nuts for him. I don't think I'll be forgetting that moment anytime soon.

Ratings-wise and production-wise, you must admit UFC on Fox was a huge success. No if, and's, or but's. The mistake, however, doesn't lay on the UFC, but rather on Fox, whom foolishly believe one fight, would be okay. Why a KO in a fight that last 69 seconds or so is a good result, it doesn't exactly show what MMA is to new fans. I hope they realize they need at least one more fight on TV. I think Dana was really frustrated that he couldn't get Guida vs. Henderson on live TV.

Is anyone going to bring up Brock handled getting lit up like a christmas tree much better than Cain did or is that something to be ignored?

If it's such an important subject, why don't you talk about it? You forget, Brock was fighting Cain, who has nowhere near the hand speed, punching power, or boxing technique that JDS has. It's not a good comparision, because Brock Lesnar hasn't fought a boxer like Dos Santos yet.

Yeah, different punches, different punchers, different punchees...I don't really think there's any comparison to make.

I suppose if you had to look at them side by side, the difference is that Brock didn't really take a single clean shot that put him out like Cain did. The overhand that caught Cain, and the last two shots on the floor, all hit the area from the temple to just behind the ear. That's pretty much one of the worst places to get caught in terms of having your equilibrium scrambled and being put out.

Brock took more blows and lasted longer, but he wasn't 'out' at any point. The ballerina dance was more a case of a 275lb man being panicked and losing his balance. The fight was stopped because of a culmination of blows.

There's no exact science to it, but on the evidence we have from fights we've seen, watching Velasquez take those MASSIVE shots from Cheick Kongo and go on to win the fight tells me that he takes a punch better than Brock, who we've seen cower and freeze when he gets hit.

To be fair, we won't know until Brock fights either Kongo or Santos, neither of which is on the radar against Brock at this point. The only thing I can say about Cain Velasquez on his striking-related defense, though, is that if hit hard enough, he will go down. However, he recovers quickly, and doesn't really mind being hit in the first place. On the other hand, Brock doesn't respond well mentally to being hit.

If anyone on here lives in the Greater Manchester, UK area, there's a great new MMA show going down this this Saturday night at the Bury TA centre. It's called Full Contact Contender: Best of the North West, and it's set to feature ammy, semi-pro and pro MMA bouts between some of the hottest new prospects on the UK MMA scene from all the top local and national gyms, up to and including the Wolfslair. There will also be some boxing and K-1 rules fights. Details here:

http://www.fullcontactcontender.co.uk/default.asp

£25 quid gets you in, £40 gets you cageside, £300 gets you a table for 8, with all your food and alcohol taken care of.

I'm going to be commentating on the event, which should be worth the price of admission in itself.

Seriously though, if you're in the area and like MMA come on down, or if you have any mates in the area who like MMA/boxing etc, please let them know. This is the first ever Full Contact Contender show, and they're doing something really good for grass roots MMA.

If anyone can make it or has pals that can make it, let me know, as I might be able to swing them some freebies. Ask Fantabulous, he knows I'm good for it ;)

If anyone on here lives in the Greater Manchester, UK area, there's a great new MMA show going down this this Saturday night at the Bury TA centre. It's called Full Contact Contender: Best of the North West, and it's set to feature ammy, semi-pro and pro MMA bouts between some of the hottest new prospects on the UK MMA scene from all the top local and national gyms, up to and including the Wolfslair. There will also be some boxing and K-1 rules fights. Details here:

£25 quid gets you in, £40 gets you cageside, £300 gets you a table for 8, with all your food and alcohol taken care of.

I'm going to be commentating on the event, which should be worth the price of admission in itself.

Seriously though, if you're in the area and like MMA come on down, or if you have any mates in the area who like MMA/boxing etc, please let them know. This is the first ever Full Contact Contender show, and they're doing something really good for grass roots MMA.

If anyone can make it or has pals that can make it, let me know, as I might be able to swing them some freebies. Ask Fantabulous, he knows I'm good for it ;)

I can indeed vouch for that. My seats for BAMMA 7 were perfect for me.

I would have given serious though to going to this had I known earlier, because £40 for cageside sounds like a great deal.

Also, Velasquez vs. Dos Santos peaked at 8.8 million viewers

I would have given serious though to going to this had I known earlier, because £40 for cageside sounds like a great deal.

Bear in mind that this will be nothing like BAMMA at all though...the difference between regular and cageside is probably about 6 feet and a slightly comfier chair, lol. It's actually being held on an Army base, which should be fun. Crowd full of fighters and drunk squaddies...what could possibly go wrong? :-p

In all seriousness though, it'll be a great night. As I said before, if anyone is nearby, or has mates who are nearby, they should come check it out. Some really good prospects on this card.

The crazy thing is that there are events like this in the UK happening pretty much every weekend these days. There are some really amateur hour ones, but if anyone wants a recommendation of a good local show, let me know what part of the island you're on and I'll tell you where to look. I've been offered a position covering MMA for The Mirror next year as they expand their coverage, so I'll be bombing round to lots of grassroots shows in 2012. Will post up details as I go.

I'm really looking forward to UFC 139 as it gets closer. Three great marquee matches that should be great fights, even if Le is probably going to win when he misses Siliva with a punch but the resultant breeze KO's Silva. Bader is probably safe as it relates to employment if he loses to Brilz but from a marketing perspective, a third loss in a row would be brutal.

Wow, your picks between each couldn't be more different.

In any case...

Henderson wins against against Shogun via decision: Despite being younger, Shogun is more... injury riddled. On paper, this is a winnable fight for Shogun. But he's lost a lot of his speed, and his knees are screwed.

Cung Le wins against Wanderlei Silva via KO: Silva, in the old days, would win this. But his chin is gone, and his speed has gone away as well.

Brian Bowles wins against Urijah Faber wins via decision: I think Faber's last days as a contender may be behind him.

Rick Story wins against Martin Kampmann via decision: Kampann is a good fighter... with poor execution of gameplans.

Kyle Kingsbury wins against Stephan Bonnar via decision: Bonnar is a tough dude. But he's a pretty much a gatekeeper.

Ryan Bader wins against Jason Brilz via decision: Bader is supposedly better in every on paper, except his cardio. He should win this, but if he gasses out...

The rest, because I don't know them as well...

Michael McDonald wins against Alex Soto via decision

Chris Weidman wins against Tom Lawlor via decision

Gleison Tibau wins against Rafael dos Anjos via decision

Miguel Torrest wins agaisnt Nick Page via decision

Seth Bacyzinski wins against Matt Brown via decision

Danny Castiillo wins against Shamar Bailey via decision

Just a word to note, it can't be ALL decisions, but I can't really tell which ones are going to be.