The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

Dana is full of it and you can't believe anything he says as 100%. Last week he said Belfort and Wanderlei weren't the TUF Brazil coaches and they were at the Vegas tryouts just by chance, less than a week later and he announces them as the coaches. So there is your most recent example.

It's not always as simple of being 'full of it' though. He can't announce something like TUF coaches without both fighter's signatures, and approval from the TV people, who have the final say about what goes on their network. That's just politics/business. For example, the Brazilian TV people wanted Paulo Thiago to coach opposite Belfort, because of his links to B.O.P.E., the anti-drug/organised crime squad.

Another interesting fact - Belfort is in the show because he's famous in Brazil. Not for being a fighter, but because his wife is a supermodel. That's right folks, Belfort is the Brazilian Alex Reid.

The whole development theory and idea is just stupid. If the UFC really wanted a developmental type system they could just create "UFC Challengers" and air it on FUEL TV, no sense in them needing a whole other promotion that not many outside the UFC fan circle even know exists.

I disagree, infact, I think it's a great idea. Having a 'feeder' league makes a clear distinction between who is and isn't good enough to fight in the UFC. To the casual viewer who isn't familiar with individual fighters, there's no difference between Phil Davis, who they see on PPV while out with their buddies at Hooters, and Ramsey Nijem, who they see on a Spike TV fight night. They see 'UFC' on the canvas, and its a UFC.

By having a separate league to give young guys a shot, or established fighters who have run into hard time a chance for redemption, you're establishing two clear tiers and telling fans "If you want to see the best of the best, buy a more expensive UFC ticket/PPV"

This is going to be a moot point anyway, as it appears that this is exactly what the UFC are doing.

- OSP

- Cavalcante

- Mo

are the only real 205'ers I see worth giving a shot to.

Mousasi? Larkin?

- Thomson

- Melendez

- Wilcox

- Masvidal

being the 155'ers.

No Noons?

Also some of the top guys aren't SF exclusive making it complicated.

Not complicated at all. Contracts aren't 'transferred', everyone who fights in the UFC signs a new contract, regardless if they were exclusive to SF or not. Overeem wasn't exclusive to Strikeforce, for example.

For a more detailed breakdown...

*It will be six to eight show in 2012, on Saturday night. It's a one year deal with options to continue after the first year

*There will be no more heavyweight division in Strikeforce after probably the middle of the year. The Grand Prix finals will take place likely in March with Daniel Cormier vs. Josh Barnett. The winner will have one more fight on Showtime and then likely move to UFC.

*Strikeforce will have competition in light heavyweight, middleweight, welterweight, lightweight and women's 135 and 145 pounds. They will be looking to crown new light heavyweight and welterweight champions.

*Each show will be a combination of two television shows. What used to be the Challengers level events will become the prelims on the main card, and air on Showtime Extreme directly before the big show in generally a two-hour window from 8-10 p.m., with the big shows starting at 10 p.m. on Showtime

*The new deal starts with the 1/7 show. Showtime will be in a free preview weekend that weekend so the main card will be available in 60 million homes

*Nobody would outright say no UFC vs. Strikeforce fights, but they didn't answer the questions about a prospective Gilbert Melendez challenge to the UFC title with a yes answer

*Dana White will be front and center promoting the Strikeforce shows just like he does with UFC events.

*White made it clear that this deal saved the women's division as if there was no Strikeforce, they would not have added women to UFC and said women is going to be one of Strikeforce's calling cards.

*White kept emphasizing Strikeforce will not be a feeder system.

*White will have input into the production of the shows and work with David Dinkins of Showtime

And for those of us in the UK, ESPN have been showing UFC's quite regularly over the past few weeks for some reason, and here is what is coming up:

Friday 16th: 02:00 - UFC 111 (GSP vs. Dan Hardy), with UFC Unleashed right after

Saturday 17th: 00:00 - UFC 101 (Silva vs. Griffin and Penn vs. Florian)

Saturday 17th: 23:30 - UFC 115 (Lesnar vs. Carwin) and right after that is a repeat of UFC 140

Sunday 18th: 23:30 - UFC 128 (Rua vs. Jones)

Wednesday 21st 00:00 - UFC 126 (Silva vs. Belfort)

Thursday 22nd 00:00 - UFC 113 (Machida vs. Shogun 2, and Paul Daley putting his UFC career on ice)

Mousasi? Larkin?

No Noons?

Not complicated at all. Contracts aren't 'transferred', everyone who fights in the UFC signs a new contract, regardless if they were exclusive to SF or not. Overeem wasn't exclusive to Strikeforce, for example.

I didn't count Mousasi due to his non-exclusive nature, which is why I also included the non-exclusive as I have no idea what his DREAM contract is like.

Larkin is a yes if he beats Mo, but I've watched all three of his challengers fights this year and due to his lack of "name" opponents and not dominating them, I don't think he could beat a top 15 UFC 205'er. Not saying he has no chance, but if I'm the UFC I would be okay with sending him to Bellator, DREAM, MFC, etc. first. I would have no problem briging him on for some fight night/TUF winner type battles though

Not a big Noons fan, just never have been. In a stacked 155 and 170 division I don't see him ever being a UFC champ. Plus as I have openly admitted severly times I am a major Diaz bro's nuthugger and I remember how pissed I was at the doctor stoppage he won :p With that being said, he's marketable and if they wanted to bring him in to lose 3 times to Guillard/Miller/Lauzon I would understand

My problem with the feeder league idea is this, do you send guys down? If you don't send guys down I don't have a big of problem with it. My view of it as a development league is that you would call up/send down guys which I don't like. BUT I do agree it is a good way for say, Larkin, to fight a Roger Gracie before going to the UFC.

A mistype on my part. I'm presuming this recent glut of UFC shows is because the license is running out and it's being used as filler, but our resident MMA reported would know for sure.

It's Christmas dude, ESPN are just in a giving mood! :)

But yeah, their deal runs out in August of 2012...I want to say the 12th or the 24th...We'll probably see similar gluts of programming as that date gets closer.

For those that didn't see Gonzaga is back as a replacement. Curious what kind of contract he is getting, UFC doesn't usually do one fight deals but since this is in Brazil I wonder if they just reached for a brazilian HW willing to take the fight and Gonzaga agreed.

I hope he is back full time and committed as I think he is very talented and has the tools to be a top 10, its just the mental side/commitment/game planning. His last UFC losses don't look too bad now either with JDS being champ, Carwin seconds from being champ, and Schaub who if he beat Nog would be one fight away from a title shot. He is only 32 and if he works more to get fights to the mat and uses his skills he should be able to beat most of your typical HW's who generally speaking rely on stand up.

edit: NVM just saw its a four fight deal but too lazy to change it all lol

On contracts...

Generally speaking, most guys get a three fight deal. When you see fighters getting a four fight deal, its usually because they have taken a short notice fight. What this means is that they'll have the short notice bout, then win or lose they'll get the regular three fight deal as kind of a 'thank you' for stepping up.

Established guys like Mike Bisping usually get six fights.

Most of the above is meaningless though, as the UFC has clauses that allow them to cut fighters for a multitude of reasons at any time they choose anyway.

Brock Lesnar is getting knocked out and I mean out cold to where he isn't moving and needs help to get to his feet. I wish it wasn't so.

Overeem, Cerrone, Fitch, Matyushenko, Phan, Pearson, Castillo, Kim, Volkmann, Ramos and Nunes.

a little early, yay think?

In other news does anyone know if the prelims that will be on fuel tv or fx be on ufc.tv?