The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

I think that this is the key thing that should, but probably wont, be remembered about his career.

There is literally nobody in the sport of MMA that faced the same kind of competition in their first 8 fights that Brock did. Nobody.

The fact that he beat Mir, Carwin, Herring and Couture in his first six competitive MMA bouts is absolutely astounding. I have massive, massive amounts of respect for Brock Lesnar.

That I completely agree with.

Lesnar always was and probably always will be a pretty divise figure. One that a lot of people tend to overrate and other underrate. Given his last two fights, its much tougher to overrate him but people still tend to underrate him and downplay his accomplishments in MMA. I might come across as a Brock hater in trying to quantify his collegiate wrestling career as "merely" pretty good rather than something truly speical, but I do respect him. I don't think you can have any degree of awareness of what it takes to be a professional MMA athlete, let alone a high level one, without being able to respect what he did in a pretty short period of time.

That I completely agree with.

Lesnar always was and probably always will be a pretty divise figure. One that a lot of people tend to overrate and other underrate. Given his last two fights, its much tougher to overrate him but people still tend to underrate him and downplay his accomplishments in MMA. I might come across as a Brock hater in trying to quantify his collegiate wrestling career as "merely" pretty good rather than something truly speical, but I do respect him. I don't think you can have any degree of awareness of what it takes to be a professional MMA athlete, let alone a high level one, without being able to respect what he did in a pretty short period of time.

Here's the thing with me. I respect his skills, but I do not really respect him as person or his attitude. He comes off a very self-centered person, not because he's a jerk or arrogant, but because he's so used to it.

Brock doesn't come off well interacting with people because he's very anti-social. He hates being around people he doesn't know, and even then doesn't like being around too many people, and he doesn't care to hide it. Brock could have gotten a lot better of he had trained with better people, not a secret, I know, but he flat out didn't want to leave his comfort zone.

Tried the Undisputed 3 demo today for the first time and I have to say, I am very impressed. I like the new submission system, the striking feels more fluid and it just seems to be far improved from the last edition all around. (2010 was a bitter let down for me)

In about an hour the It's Showtime card kicks off on their website if you're willing to pay €10, you get all 12 fights. If you have HDNet they start broadcasting the main card at 3PM Eastern, the only thing of note you're missing out on is the Melvin Manhoef/Tyrone Spong fight, bafflingly put on the undercard.

This is really cool card, headlined by Badr Hari's "retirement" fight against Gokhan Saki. Hari's an offensive powerhouse with a weak chin who's looked very sloppy recently, Gokhan Saki is a small heavyweight who's incredibly fast and throws really slick, fluid combinations.

Co-main is Hesdy Gerges vs. Daniel Ghita 2 for the It's Showtime heavyweight title, which means it's five rounds. It was a spectacular fight last time, marred by horrible refereeing that saw Gerges come out with a decision win when the fight should've gone to extension rounds.

There's also Robin van Roosmalen who was the breakout star of 2011, Errol Zimmerman who's gotten fatter but also had three awesome KOs, Chris Ngimbi who throws awesome flying knees and, of course, Manhoef and Spong on the undercard (???)

In about an hour the It's Showtime card kicks off on their website if you're willing to pay €10, you get all 12 fights. If you have HDNet they start broadcasting the main card at 3PM Eastern, the only thing of note you're missing out on is the Melvin Manhoef/Tyrone Spong fight, bafflingly put on the undercard.

This is really cool card, headlined by Badr Hari's "retirement" fight against Gokhan Saki. Hari's an offensive powerhouse with a weak chin who's looked very sloppy recently, Gokhan Saki is a small heavyweight who's incredibly fast and throws really slick, fluid combinations.

Co-main is Hesdy Gerges vs. Daniel Ghita 2 for the It's Showtime heavyweight title, which means it's five rounds. It was a spectacular fight last time, marred by horrible refereeing that saw Gerges come out with a decision win when the fight should've gone to extension rounds.

There's also Robin van Roosmalen who was the breakout star of 2011, Errol Zimmerman who's gotten fatter but also had three awesome KOs, Chris Ngimbi who throws awesome flying knees and, of course, Manhoef and Spong on the undercard (???)

Where do you watch the free undercard? I can only see a link to pay for the main card, but I'm off out to watch that in a bit.