The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

His whole model.

What did you think about the new submission system?

How Awsome is pride?

How far did you get in career mode?

The new sub system works really well, everyone loved it. It's as easy as it seems on the surfaces, but there are a couple of neat little touches that make for some exciting battles. You can do multiple transitions within subs now, which I don't think you could do before.

Pride mode was amazing. Massive nostalgia-fest, especially with Bas and Quadros on the mics. The Pride roster was missing a couple of big names, but there are plenty of old favs there. Reliving Nog vs Sapp was awesome!

I got to the UFC, which doesn't take too long if you don't want it to. I hadn't even got a WFA title shot when my first UFC offer came in (I'd previously taken a bout at short notice that the UFC were scouting), so I wanted to stay and grab the strap there. I took some notes while playing career mode, so I'm gonna knock up an indepth 'diary' style article over the next couple of days.

We're getting review copies about a week before the game comes out I'm told, so I'll have an in-depth review then.

The new sub system works really well, everyone loved it. It's as easy as it seems on the surfaces, but there are a couple of neat little touches that make for some exciting battles. You can do multiple transitions within subs now, which I don't think you could do before.

For the submission system, do you still automatically lose top position if you fail a kimura? Oh yeah, I want to know if you actually tried to stomp and soccer kick fighters in PRIDE mode.

For the submission system, do you still automatically lose top position if you fail a kimura?

It's not automatic, but the developer who was their said that they tried to make it so failing to secure a tap on most subs gets you reversed. It depends on a number of factors though, like position, how quickly the guy gets out of the hold etc. Makes going for a submission a risk/reward.

Oh yeah, I want to know if you actually tried to stomp and soccer kick fighters in PRIDE mode.

Oh yes, you knows it. Stomped right through Bob Sapp's guard into his stupid face in my first Pride bout. From there I moved to side control, then transitioned between there and north south, destroying him with knees.

Looks to become a fine game then. Lots of good games releasing in the coming months. I think I'm going to settle with UFC and Kingdom of Amalur.

On a sidenote: Pro Elite had another event yesterday, headliners being Kendall Grove and Sara McMann (how come I always want to write 'McMahon', srly). As Kendall will probably stick in the indy's for a while, I was more interested in McMann, who seemed to look quite impressive. Forget Tate vs Rousey. I wanna see McMann vs Rousey. Rather wanted to see Kaufman facing off with Rousey and Tate getting Davis, but you can't have everything in MMA working out, right? :o

I still can't believe we're getting Sonnen vs Bisping on TV, in the frickin' co-main event. As far as underpromoting fights goes, this must be the pinnacle. :p

I have questions on the PRIDE mode.

Are there tournaments or even exhibition matches where I can face PRIDE fighters against current UFC stars? I've actually heard conflicting reports on this.

Yeah, you can do Pride vs UFC, and the Pride GP is in.

You can even get invited into the Pride GP in career mode, which I thought was awesome!

Did you like the new finish the fight feature?

Loved it. Adds a lot of excitement to big finishes as you try and pounce on the dude after a big shot.

What are your thoughts on the new career mode menu? (I have seen videos of it and don't like it.)

The menu? It's a screen with buttons on it, lol! I couldn't even tell you what it looks like. Does it matter?

How many times can you train before fights in career mode, do you know?

It depends. Prior to each fight, you can do various activities like going to a camp (where you can learn or level up moves), do drills or training games to improve skills and stats (which are done via mini games or striking/grappling drills) or make a gameplan.

Gameplanning is very cool. You pick a gameplan (Sprawl and brawl, submission grapple, lay and pray etc), then you have a mini sparring session to do. Lets say you do sub grappling, your exercise asks you to perform more transitions than your opponent, avoid reversals and win by sub. Depending on how well you do in the excercise, your stats (relevent to the gameplan) are increased for your next fight. So say I get full points on my sub grappling spar, my all my sub and ground transition stats increase for the next fight. I think if you complete all the excercise tasks in the actual fight as well, you get extra cash. Not 100% on that thoough.

Anyway, all of the above (camp, drills, gameplan etc) cost one 'action'. When you're looking at the contracts for your next fight (there are usually five availible), you can see how many 'actions' you get for that bout. So if I take a short notice fill-in bout, I might only get one action. If I take a title shot against a much better guy, I might get two or three. You can't 'save up actions'.

n get invited into the Pride GP in career mode, which I thought was awesome!

Great news. I know you said you're going to post a more in-depth look at career mode. And I look forward to it. But just in general, do you find the career mode to be improved over UFC 2010?

That was my biggest problem with that game. I still play UFC 2010 mostly in tournament mode. I run a bellator-inspired "league" with a notebook where I run the tournament in each weight class, then I make an event-mode card where the tournament winners face off against the current champions. Nerdy i know. Don't judge me.

Anyway, the career mode in EA MMA was so much better, namely because you didn't have to keep doing the same training mini games ad nauseum. They did have minigames, but once you mastered them you could sim and et the same amount of stat increase. Great idea.

I want career mode to be fight focused. I thought EA MMA did a decent job at that.

One of my favorite career modes is in Fight Night Champion. There, you can spar and get training points to be used wherever you wish. So you can literally just box during your entire career, in fights and in sparring, and not have to do a single mini game if you so choose. I liked this so much better than in previous years when I had to continually do stupid minigames. In some of these types of career modes, you spend way more time doing dumb crap like that than you do actually fighting in your career.

Great news. I know you said you're going to post a more in-depth look at career mode. And I look forward to it. But just in general, do you find the career mode to be improved over UFC 2010?

I cannot express how much of an improvement it is over 2010. Of everything I played or saw, career mode was the biggest 'stand out' vs last year for me.

The emphasis is on getting you from fight to fight as quickly as possible. There's no stupid stat decay, which made career mode in 2010 more of a chore than a game for me, and was the reason I only played a couple of hours of it, if that.

The mini-games and drills are short, but fun. All the different things you can do give you a massive sense of ownership of your fighter and his career.

I'll try and get my career mode sneak peek thing up asap.

If anyone has any questions about the game - I'll do my best to answer them :)

Just watching a few youtube videos from the game, and just seen an old video (November) showing a Pride Mode fight.

Something that seems weird is despite saying it's a 10 minute first round (of course correct for Pride), the footage showed a minute less remaining of fight time every 30 'real' seconds. I don't know whether this was because it was an early build of the game or some other reason.

Don't suppose you know whether the Pride fights actually take 10 minutes to complete the first round? Or whether they actually take 5? Or is it a choice?

Something that seems weird is despite saying it's a 10 minute first round (of course correct for Pride), the footage showed a minute less remaining of fight time every 30 'real' seconds. I don't know whether this was because it was an early build of the game or some other reason.

The round's aren't done in "real time", never have been in any of the 2 previous Undisputed games. EA Sports MMA had real time rounds but not Undisputed.

It's always been a pet peeve of mine, not having real time in MMA or wrestling games.

Taking the talk back to the real world for now, but I was generally impressed with UFC on FX. Things started off great with three explosive first round finishes and Nick Denis especially impressing with his elbows. The next two fights dragged for me but things picked up with Jorge Rivera stopping Eric Schafer and going out with a big win. Not sure where Schafer goes from here but he can't be long for the UFC. The main card was pretty good except for the Bantamweight snoozefest. Barry/Morecraft was an exhibition of aggression over technique although Barry looked really good in being able to get out of submissions. Neer looked good and he should make a nice roadblock for the Welterweight division. No surprises with Melvin Guillard; the man eats more subs than Jared. I'm a fan of Melvin but the man just can't seem to block subs to save his life. It's a shame because if shored up that hole, Melvin would be a real threat to the Lightweight title. As it is, Jim Miller gets a big win and is back on the ladder to title contention.