The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

The real issue is Guida is extremely careless. He's just too.. well, you know, excitable. And that's always been a major weakness of his. I think his Takedown's are the worst part of his wrestling... I think it's actually his top control that's not so good.

But I'm not saying Miller would lose. It's just, even though Miller is much better than Guida is, it's still a bad stylistic match-up for Miller.

I for one don't really care. He's as exciting as they come. You can see that he fully enjoys himself during fights, and sometimes that's all you need to pull of the victories. Now there's a man that loves his work. :p

Amazing.

Well, it was kinda funny when I heard it. Ok, perhaps it's not the best quote ever, but still... :)

I for one don't really care. He's as exciting as they come. You can see that he fully enjoys himself during fights, and sometimes that's all you need to pull of the victories. Now there's a man that loves his work. :p

I don't find Guida boring at all, but.... he is more an exciting loser than an exciting winner. I generally think his most exciting fights are the ones he loses in. :p

So here's a funny story about how scummy promoters can be. People may not know this, but the Abu Dhabi Combat Club (the world's most prestigious submission grappling tournament) is being held in the UK this year. Nottingham, in September to be exact.

Now, the world championship is held every two years and since it's been held outside of Abu Dhabi, Sheik Tanhoon has basically allowed countries to 'bid' for it, like the Olympics or the World Cup. Obviously this isn't on as grand a scale as it's only a two day event and governments etc aren't involved, so it comes down to local companies to bid. People who organise grappling tourneys, clothing companies, events companies...that kind of thing. This years bid was won by a company called Masaru Fight Co. They make BJJ/Grappling gear and sponsor high-profile grapplers like Roger Gracie and Victor and Braulio Estima.

So far they've made a big old balls-up of the whole thing as regards to advertising and ticket selling. They've released vague bits of info on their facebook pages, and the only way to get tickets is to call a number and leave your details on an answer phone on the off-chance that they'll call you back, or facebook them and get them to call you. The only pricing info for tickets is that they "start at £40" for a two day pass. The Capital FM Arena's website doesn't have the event listed, let alone tickets for sale.

But here's the kicker. About two weeks ago I heard something that blew my mind. I know the guy I heard it from was legit, but I assumed that he was either the victim of a prank, or he had some serious beef with the organisers. He told me that Masaru were charging members of the press £250 to cover the event.

Now, some might say it's only fair. A press pass (usually) gets you access to decent seats, interviews, press conference, photo-shoots and if you're very special (like I am) access to the free VIP bar and afterparty. You could argue that this kind of access ultimately allows you to make a living. But that's not how it works, and trust me, very, very few people make a living covering combat sports. Most people I have spoken to will not be covering the event full stop, because they cannot pay £250 to send a photographer on top of travel/hotel/expenses. Most MMA journalists I know don't even get these things paid for them because the sites they write for can't afford it, let alone a £250 premium for the vague promise of "limited access".

Firstly, the idea of money changing hands between sports press and an event holder is unethical. Press shouldn't have to pay for access in the same way that promoters shouldn't have to pay press to cover their events (doesn't stop it from happening in the MMA world though). I've done press for the UFC right down to tiny amateur shows and never, ever has money changed hands. It's the same, as far as I know, for all sports. Events have the absolute right to refuse or restrict Press access...but to charge for it? That's unheard of. It's a two way deal, and whether I get treated like an absolute king, as I did at BAMMA recently, or sat in the public seats amongst a group of stupidly drunk Polish skinheads due to a ticketing error like I was at a show that shall remain unnamed earlier this year, I bust my ass to give the best coverage possible in exchange for my credential. Our site gets more hits than MMAWeekly now, and every article we publish is a few grand less a promoter has to spend on advertising, as far as I see it.

Anyway, I was sure there was some kind of mistake, so I emailed Masaru to enquire about Press credentials. Three emails and no reply later, I wrote on their facebook wall for all to see that I had emailed them a week ago re: press credentials and hadn't heard back. They got right back to me, and it turns out there HAD been a mistake...

...because all £250 got you was "strictly limited access" for photos. If you wanted "strictly limited access" for interviews and a press conference, it'd cost you....£400. That's four hundred of the Queen's finest English pounds. It pains me that people are using the good name of the ADCC to make money - the whole point of it is as a showcase event, Sheik Tanhoon isn't exactly in need of a quick buck. It's an invite only tourney, fighter's fees are paid by sponsorship and a fund...yet some people just can't resist being greedy and milking it for an extra few quid.

I don't know who they're expecting to pay that kind of money, but good luck to them I say. My prediction as of right now is that most press coverage will be from the stands, except maybe the guys from Gracie Mag and Tatame who will be coming over with the Brazilians. I know I'll be paying £40 for my ticket, organising interviews myself and spending the second day drinking beer and enjoying the fights.

*Rant over*

Brashley Holland, just screw em. I hope their event undersells for short-changing the press.

The thing is, I don't. To me it's a huge deal that my home nation is hosting the Olympics of submission grappling. I want it to do well, and for as many people to go see it as possible.

I'm not a petty person, I'm going to give it as much coverage as I can, but I do resent putting money in their pockets. Thankfully some of us care more about the sport than making money! :-p

Part of me is actually grateful that I can go and watch an event as a fan for a change :-p

Hey brashley, do you know anything about this Carano situation?

Not really. There are some crazy rumours that she could be 'with child', but they're just rumours.

There is a possibility (and this is just me thinking aloud) that it's a weight issue. I say this because she was actually cleared to fight and given her licence, which was later revoked. In order to be granted her licence, she'd have had to have submitted bloods, medical etc, so it's unlikely to be something like pregnancy or a blood condition.

But...

A commission doctor can cancel/revoke a licence to fight if he believes that the fighter would be putting their health at risk by cutting a large amount of weight. Gina got HUGE in her break from MMA (well, relative to her fighting weight) just check out the pics of her in that movie she filmed. It's possible that on reflection, her licence to fight on the 18th was pulled because the cut was dangerous. She's had weight issues in the past.

Hey brashley, do you know anything about this Carano situation?

" Strikeforce executive Scott Coker announced the news during a Tuesday conference call, revealing that Carano had her medical clearance revoked by her doctor and would therefore be unable to fight at the American Airlines Center in Dallas. "

-> If she's pregnant then her career might be over.

@ Brashley: That's really a bad desicion on the company's part. It is disturbing people would grab every opportunity to make money out of people who simply love the sport. Anyhow, just enjoy yourself like you planned.

edit: if it's the weight, she should've forseen this. Just change weight classes if you have problems cutting weight. It's that simple. There's a weight class for everybody, even the super heavyweights :p

edit: if it's the weight, she should've forseen this. Just change weight classes if you have problems cutting weight. It's that simple. There's a weight class for everybody, even the super heavyweights :p

I don't know if you are joking, but there isn't really one for her. She's already at 145, which isn't a big division compared to the talent poll of 125 and 135. Women's MMA is sparse enough as it is. The amount of talent isn't there for 155ers.

A commission doctor can cancel/revoke a licence to fight if he believes that the fighter would be putting their health at risk by cutting a large amount of weight. Gina got HUGE in her break from MMA (well, relative to her fighting weight) just check out the pics of her in that movie she filmed. It's possible that on reflection, her licence to fight on the 18th was pulled because the cut was dangerous. She's had weight issues in the past.

You know, she's a pretty well-sized girl in the first place... do you know have any information of details about general inability or reasons to why it's hard to cut to 155?

You know, she's a pretty well-sized girl in the first place... do you know have any information of details about general inability or reasons to why it's hard to cut to 155?

It's because every time we hop on the good foot and do the bad thing, I buy her an extra large bag of fish and chips to celebrate ;)

Who knows? In fairness to her it was 140 that she had trouble with. Maybe 145 is just right, but we don't know how big she got in the two years she's had off. Especially if she's had to bulk up a bit to do stunts/get the tough chick movie look.

Keep in mind though that this whole weight thing is just an educated guess on my part, and although I've never been wrong about anything ever in the past, there's a first time for everything :-p

Brashley Holland, that reminds me... what do you think happened to Josh Grispi? George Roop absolutely dominated him. Heck, even if I think round 1 might be Grispi's, I think it's not inconceivable that Roop could have won that round.

UFC nerves maybe? He went from being number one contender on a PPV to a fight where he literally had nothing to gain and everything to lose, and he lost it. Stuff like that has to mess with a guy's head.

With that said, I think that both Roop and Poirier are criminally underrated (although I'm picking my boy Jason 'Shotgun' Young for the upset this weekend), so I'm not putting any nails in the Grispi coffin yet.

Have him fight Chan Sung Jung next, or the winner of Elkins/Omigawa then we'll see if he's done.

I don't know if you are joking, but there isn't really one for her. She's already at 145, which isn't a big division compared to the talent poll of 125 and 135. Women's MMA is sparse enough as it is. The amount of talent isn't there for 155ers.

It was no joke, just an assumption. I've heard of some rogue 155 fights. It exists. Seriously, just let her fight Toughill then, who also has trouble cutting weight. It could be marketed as CRUSH vs STEEL (remember those American gladiator shows?)

:)

It was no joke, just an assumption. I've heard of some rogue 155 fights. It exists. Seriously, just let her fight Toughill then, who also has trouble cutting weight. It could be marketed as CRUSH vs STEEL (remember those American gladiator shows?)

:)

Idea of the week! Get to it Scott Coker!

<p><strong>UFC PPV and TV main events going to five rounds</strong></p><p> </p><p>

All future main events, that is ones not currently signed, will now be five round affairs. I'm neither for or against this to a strong degree, although I did feel that championship fights be the only fights to go five rounds made them feel more special and I can't help but feel this diminishes that specialness. Which probably wouldn't have been too big a deal if it was only PPV main events that were always five rounds, because then at least it was the big main events that got the five round treatment. But making TV main events five rounds is a little too much for my taste.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Nick Diaz vacates the Strikeforce Welterweight title; only fights for the UFC now</strong></p><p> </p><p>

I'm led to believe this is not a Dana White/UFC decision, at least the stripping of the title part, so I suspect that Showtime stepped in and felt they didn't want to risk a champion of their brand losing to the champion of the UFC. Of course, this only means their next WW champion will likely be one of two guys who couldn't beat the previous champion which doesn't help the credibility of the title but I doubt Showtime were thinking of that. In the grand scheme of things, it probably doesn't matter a whole lot in that Strikeforce is inevitably going to be merged into the UFC, but it does take a little of the shine off the GSP/Diaz fight with the Champion vs. Champion aspect removed.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>UFC adding a Flyweight Division</strong></p><p> </p><p>

At some point "like, really soon", UFC is going to be adding yet another weight class. I'll readily admit that I couldn't pick the best 125lb fighters out of a line-up, but I think it's too soon to be adding an eighth weight class when they've not yet established the Bantamweight and Featherweight divisions. I presume there are plenty of good Flyweights out there, so the fights should be good, but it's just soon a move to make.</p>

<p>You are right. A Flyweight division is indeed too soon. Just let it be on WEC or Strikeforce exclusively. What's wrong with that? </p><p> </p><p>

Look, I don't want to bring up WMMA experience as a legitimate way of looking towards the future of Strikeforce, but in my experience, it just doesn't help to even HAVE titles in Strikeforce. It will always be second-rate titles because the fighters in theory belong to the same talent pool as the UFC, which markets their titles as the best in the business. The only alternative titles imo are 'young gun titles' that are restricted to -25 years or something. Else, you're going to have Strikeforce champs who are obliged to defend against 2nd rate challengers (no offense, but it's like that) instead of making the move to UFC where they can become true contenders. Like I said, in WMMA, that's how I do it. Just have regular non-title fights instead of sporting another title that has no worth. They can however retain their title in their rise up the UFC ranks, ultimately culminating in a title vs title fight (in theory, if will eventually happen), which might garner some interest.</p><p> </p><p>

So in summation: Diaz vacating is mainly a good thing. But they should delete the title altogether imho.</p><p> </p><p>

As for the 5 round thing, I'm unsure. In WMMA, it would be a good thing, but in reality, there will be more boring fights. The idea of 3 round matches is that, more often then not, it will be a good representation of the value differences between the two. 5 rounds is of course more representative, but also boring if it's a grindfest. But in the end, it will prove to be profitable, as the main card is just 5 fights anyway, and there will be a greater percentage of finishes. You often see fans bitching on forums how the decision was 'stupid'. 5 rounds will often see one guy dominate the other, resulting in more objective results.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Fantabulous" data-cite="Fantabulous" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><strong>UFC PPV and TV main events going to five rounds</strong> </div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I'm not a fan of this at all. Value for money is a subjective thing. Is it value for money being forced to sith through an awful five round fight that could have been an awful three round fight? </p><p> </p><p> Here are a couple of facts though: </p><p> </p><p> - Fighters will get hurt more fighting for five rounds than they would over three. </p><p> </p><p> - Medical suspensions will be longer. </p><p> </p><p> I understand the idea of having 5-rounders for title eliminators, but because there is no ranking system, the UFC rarely has title eliminators. The demands of the sport and their schedule don't allow it. </p><p> </p><p> Again it's subjective, but a big thing for me is that for every fight that people say "That needed another 2 rounds", there are two where they say "I'm glad that was over". </p><p> </p><p> I dunno, maybe we'll see guys focusing more on their strength and conditioning now that this is in place. I guess it's all part of the evolution of the sport. </p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><strong>Nick Diaz vacates the Strikeforce Welterweight title; only fights for the UFC now</strong></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I don't know that the title dropping thing is anything to do with Showtime - it's not their belt/title and as long as Diaz is contractually allowed to fight in the UFC, he can take his belt with him if he wants to. </p><p> </p><p> What I'm hearing about this, and the whole 'business as usual' thing, is that Zuffa still has obligations to Showtime with regards to Strikeforce. They can't shut it down, but at the same time, they have no obligation to keep it talent rich. </p><p> </p><p> To me, the vacating of the Strikeforce title is a 'keeping up appearances' type of deal. Everyone knows whats going on, but on the face of it, it appears that the UFC is running SF as an organisations with it's own champions etc. </p><p> </p><p> I know that Paul Daley is fighting on the 30th of July, but he wont tell me who against. So I'm guessing that it'll be Woodley, who's undefeated and recently beat Tarec Saffiedine. Having that fight for the belt makes perfect sense. </p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><strong>UFC adding a Flyweight Division</strong></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Two words - Mamoru Yamaguchi. That is all. </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> Speaking of little guys, the TUF entry fights happened this week, and apparently they were sick. Dana has dubbed them the best ever fights in the history of TUF, and has said that he wants to get them all shown in full on TV. </p><p> </p><p> I've heard this morning that they're trying to get Spike to agree to an extended 'pre-season' special that will show every fight in full as a lead-in to episode one, rather than having a Fight Night lead-in.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Daffanka" data-cite="Daffanka" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I think five round fights between what -should- be elite fighters are a great thing. When it's guys like Pettis and Guida it's one thing but BJ/Fitch and Rampage/Machida really could've done with another two rounds.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Yeah, and I guess the argument for that is that guys like Penn, Fitch and Rampage should have the funds to do a proper S&C programme, have a dietician etc so that going five rounds isn't an issue. </p><p> </p><p> More events means more guys lower down the pay-scale main-eventing...what I don't want to see is guys who can't afford to prepare properly being forced to go an extra two rounds. </p><p> </p><p> Although saying that, I've seen some pretty decent five-rounders in KOTC over the past year or so...I guess it's all relative.</p>