The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Fantabulous" data-cite="Fantabulous" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><strong>Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard III headlines UFC 136</strong><p> </p><p> Zero interest in this fight.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Really? My only concern is that it's dangerous to do a trilogy fight and bill it as the settler when it could very easily be inconclusive again. My hope is for it to complete the story with Frankie outclassing him, but either way it's gonna be enjoyable. </p><p> </p><p> Aldo/Kenflo is at the same event btw, along with Sonnen/Stann that's huge, hell every card for later in the year looks huge at this point.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Fantabulous" data-cite="Fantabulous" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><strong>Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard III headlines UFC 136</strong><p> </p><p> Zero interest in this fight.</p><p> </p><p> </p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Say whaaaaaat? Their last fight was amazing! </p><p> </p><p> Will be interesting to see what they do if Edgar wins though...do they do a fourth fight? My guess is yes, but only after Guillard/Guida/Miller/Henderson etc have had their satisfaction.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="brashleyholland" data-cite="brashleyholland" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Say whaaaaaat? Their last fight was amazing! <p> </p><p> </p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I considered their last fight more one of great drama than great quality, although it was good. They will probably have a good fight so I might have some interest in whether they can do it again, but the fight itself? I don't care about it. They're both talented fighters, but there is nothing about either man I find engaging enough to care about. I'll watch the fight, although this is another show I won't be staying up to watch live, but I won't be invested in any particular result. If Edgar wins? Fine? If Maynard wins? Fine. No one result is going to make me care than another simply because I don't particularly care about either fighter.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="brashleyholland" data-cite="brashleyholland" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Will be interesting to see what they do if Edgar wins though...do they do a fourth fight? My guess is yes, but only after Guillard/Guida/Miller/Henderson etc have had their satisfaction.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> That's the thing...Maynard wins convincingly and Edgar can easily drop down to 145. (Until BJ comes down and dominates everyone that isn't Edgar).</p><p> </p><p> Maynard however has nowhere to go, if Frankie does win convincingly (which I hope he does) he's in Fitch territory until someone else beats him.</p><p> </p><p> Guillard to smash them all up anyway, I don't care if that's bandwagoning =D</p>

<p>If he somehow ends up on his back then maybe, but I'm really not fancying J-Lau to get him there. </p><p> </p><p>

It is interesting though as just like Guillard, Lauzon tends to blow away lesser fighters and lose to better ones. But in this equation, I think Lauzon's the lesser one everywhere where the fight is going to take place.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="The Shape" data-cite="The Shape" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>If he somehow ends up on his back then maybe, but I'm really not fancying J-Lau to get him there. <p> </p><p> It is interesting though as just like Guillard, Lauzon tends to blow away lesser fighters and lose to better ones. But in this equation, I think Lauzon's the lesser one everywhere where the fight is going to take place.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Unless Melvin lands something quickly and suddenly, Lauzon will get the fight to the ground. Lauzon is good enough to get it there and Melvin hasn't got the skill to stop it from happening. Melvin can win this fight but not if it stays on the ground for any length of time and Melvin has yet to show he can stop that from happening against any fighter of good-to-great ability, which Lauzon is.</p>

OK, with Little Nog out and no suitable replacement able to be found, Akiyama/Belfort is the new co-main event.

I like this because I'm a major fan of Akiyama and this is a fight against somewhat of a name opponent that he has a good chance of winning. As long as Akiyama can keep the distance and frustrate Belfort, Belfort's mental fragility should do the rest.

Akiyama's going to get murdered. Belfort's entire career has been a series of slight reignited hopes and complete disappointments but he's fighting a flat footed welterweight brawler who gets by with his chin and not fighting anyone who kicks his legs.

I know Akiyama's a black belt in judo and I know he's pretty proficient in the clinch but given his fighting style I feel a lot more comfortable calling him a brawler than anything. If he actually tries to take Vitor down he has to close the distance to clinch and get a much bigger guy down. His top game's pretty shaky too so it's not like the one takedown is going to decide the fight.

This might shock you but I'm not an Akiyama fan. ;)

OK, with Little Nog out and no suitable replacement able to be found, Akiyama/Belfort is the new co-main event.

I like this because I'm a major fan of Akiyama and this is a fight against somewhat of a name opponent that he has a good chance of winning. As long as Akiyama can keep the distance and frustrate Belfort, Belfort's mental fragility should do the rest.

The guy with the shorter reach should stay close, not at a distance, especially against a more proficient stand-up fighter. Besides, that wouldn't work. Belfort has crazy explosiveness AND a longer reach, which means he would beat Akiyama's face in if Akiyama was too far away. That's like the bad advice everyone gave to fighters who fought CroCop at Pride... Distancing away is actually a bad idea, if you factor in their ability to close the distance AND using their reach advantage. What Akiyama needs to do is go to his Judo roots, take down Belfort, and keep him there.

But we might see one or both of them gas out after the first round.

And just like that, Overeem is out of the SF HWGP. Cormier in against Silva on September 10th.

Has he been cut from Strikeforce? Is he heading to the UFC? Will commit suicide by Klitschko in a boxing ring? Who knows? (I do!) :D

I think there might have been a case of miscommunication. SF might have said "September, October", would be around the time, but Overeem probably thought he had a say in the matter. Maybe in the past, he did. But it looks the UFC-owned SF may have stated it as early as September. In any case, I'm looking forward to Cormier/Bigfoot. I want to know if Bigfoot can deal with a good wrestler, and if Cormier can deal with a good ground guy. It will also be interesting to see if both guys decide to stand a bit.

Also, on Overeem boxing, his chin and boxing defense is nowhere near the level of Klitschko. He could, but not definitively, get KOed pretty bad.

I think there might have been a case of miscommunication. SF might have said "September, October", would be around the time, but Overeem probably thought he had a say in the matter.

It's nothing to do with the time of the fight.

Also, on Overeem boxing, his chin and boxing defense is nowhere near the level of Klitschko. He could, but not definitively, get KOed pretty bad.

He would get destroyed in a couple of rounds by either of them.

It's nothing to do with the time of the fight.

...Contract negotiations, right? Well, I don't think UFC fidns Overeem THAT marketable, so...

He would get destroyed in a couple of rounds by either of them.

Well, it is boxing match. He can't use his legs to attack. Pretty much what you said.

Reem would be marketable as hell. I hope he does end up in UFC.

I'm not saying he isn't. Although I think he is marketable, I'm saying the UFC doesn't find him THAT marketable. If they thought he was marketable as Nick Diaz, they would have probably gave him what he wanted already. ;)

I'm not saying he isn't. Although I think he is marketable, I'm saying the UFC doesn't find him THAT marketable. If they thought he was marketable as Nick Diaz, they would have probably gave him what he wanted already. ;)

I'm not so sure. How marketable they are as an individual is different to how much they can be sold given the circumstances. Diaz is perfect foil for GSP, Reem is a HW where there's at least one clear contender right now. So if they brought Reem in right now, he'd have to fight someone else, and I doubt they'd do that if they thought they could bring him straight into a title fight later on.

edit; Injury conflicting with showtime's schedule? Rubbish, completes devalues the tournament.

I'm not so sure. How marketable they are as an individual is different to how much they can be sold given the circumstances. Diaz is perfect foil for GSP, Reem is a HW where there's at least one clear contender right now. So if they brought Reem in right now, he'd have to fight someone else, and I doubt they'd do that if they thought they could bring him straight into a title fight later on.

edit; Injury conflicting with showtime's schedule? Rubbish, completes devalues the tournament.

Like I said before, I repeat, again, I think he is marketable, but I don't think the UFC finds him that marketable. I agree with you; however, I don't think the UFC does.

I know, but what I was saying is they do think he's marketable, just the timing isn't as right as it was for Diaz. Apparently he is coming back and is just injured anyways.

I'll need to say this again, because I needmy message. I do think he's marketable, and I'm not saying the UFC doesn't finds unmarketable, just not THAT marketable, compared to Diaz.