The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

There's talk of Strikeforce bringing in Lithuanian Yana Kunitskaya as a future opponent for Cyborg.

She has a fight in Feb, if she wins she'll be 6-1. She's finished all five wins so far, 4 with strikes, one submission. She lost a decision to Maria Nielsen, who is a really good grappler.

Also, she's a legit 145lber.

Why the heck the not? It's better than having nothing, and it's not like anyone has much of choice in the matter.

Really? What are you basing that on? Because I was basing it on the FACT that there are special licencing considerations for fighters with less than 5 pro MMA bouts and/or less than half the number of pro fights of their opponent under nearly all AC's. There are also special considerations when fighters have vastly different levels of recent opposition. Sometimes these are just a formality, sometimes they're not.

Hint: Don't tell someone that what they're saying is a joke when you're basing your argument on your own opinion, which might not always be right.

Yeah, those darn rules are so strict and diminishing. Just like when they stepped in to stop Lesnar, 3 fights, from fighting Couture, 24 fights. Those less than 5 fight rules, less competition, and half the fights of your opponent really matter huh? Good thing that fight didn't happen in one of the most active commissions around (Nevada). Good thing that rule is so serious and not even close to a joke. I would say that is a pretty good thing to base it on and if I was Rousey's manager/lawyer use that as great precedent if the commission denied the fight.

I know there are rules and am familiar with "new" fighter rules admittingly though not knowing all the specifics (I had heard of the 5 but not the half). The posssibility of a major commision failing to let that fight happen is in the smallest of percentiles. You even said it's not likely they would, you just took the "joke" part way to personally and wanted to spew out at someone even though there are examples both ways.

I by no means meant it as personal to YOU saying its a joke, (though I can see how posting right after and poor clarification on my part made it possible to take it that way) I meant in general saying the fight shouldn't happen was a joke as on many other forums people just point to her 4 fights as a reason she would automatically get destroyed without considering other factors.

Rousey has said she wants to go t 135 and not fight Cyborg first anyways, even though Tate or Kaufmann face the same record problems as you already acknowledged.

Yeah, those darn rules are so strict and diminishing. Just like when they stepped in to stop Lesnar, 3 fights, from fighting Couture, 24 fights. Those less than 5 fight rules, less competition, and half the fights of your opponent really matter huh? Good thing that fight didn't happen in one of the most active commissions around (Nevada). Good thing that rule is so serious and not even close to a joke. I would say that is a pretty good thing to base it on and if I was Rousey's manager/lawyer use that as great precedent if the commission denied the fight.

Nobody said anything about rules, did they? Go back, have another read, then try harder instead of getting sarky with someone who actually knows what they're talking about. BTW, in what alternate universe do MMA fighter's managers take AC's to court if they block fights? Is it the same universe in which you're aware of AC processes for sanctioning fights? Could you please list some instances for me?

If you need me to explain the difference between sanctioning Lesnar vs Couture in Nevada and someone with less than five fights against Cris Santos, then I'd suggest you steer well clear of that career in MMA you were asking me about, with all due respect.

Just in case though, from my other post (note the bold sections) -

...there are special licencing considerations for fighters with less than 5 pro MMA bouts and/or less than half the number of pro fights of their opponent under nearly all AC's. There are also special considerations when fighters have vastly different levels of recent opposition. Sometimes these are just a formality, sometimes they're not.

Let's look at that as it pertains to Lesnar vs Couture. Couture was 45 years old, and had to go through additional licencing procedures (for being a professional athlete over 35) and additional medicals (for being a 45 year old man) before he was licensed to fight, which include appearing before the commission either in person or by telephone. Another possible consideration was Couture's inactivity/retirement (he had taken only 2 fights in the space of 33 months), but given his experience, age and contract dispute, this was neither here nor there. In certain cases though, athletes who have 'retired' or been inactive in their twilight years are questioned as to their reasons for returning.

On Lesnar's side, considerations were made due to his lack of pro fights, and the experience differential between him and his opponent. As a result, his age and weight advantage (the fact that he was 14 years his opponent's junior, 50lbs heavier and all the physical advantages that brings) and the records of his past opponents were taken into consideration. His opponents were Kim Min-Soo (2-5 at the time), Frank Mir (10-3 at the time, former UFC champion) and Heath Herring (28-13-1 at the time, long time top tier heavyweight). Lesnar was judged to be effective against all three opponents, setting a president. It was agreed that he would not be well-matched by Couture.

The AC chairman is also asked for his recommendation.

Also, from my other post...

Don't tell someone that what they're saying is a joke when you're basing your argument on your own opinion, which might not always be right.

The above, and my original post, are not my opinion. They are facts. This is how licencing and sanctioning works. I know this because I have worked with fighters, managers and promoters for years in varying capacities, and have been party to many AC meetings (accredited press can obtain conferencing numbers to listen in).

I'm not trying to be a nob, I just don't appreciate posting factually accurate information here for people's benefit only to be told that said information is in fact a joke. Get's right on my Eartha Kitts.

End of rant :)

the reem is avaliable as a free dlc if you like and share the offical ufc undisputed page on facebook. (UFC 3 only, not ufc 2010)

So chuffed about this. I'm getting a review copy in a few weeks...it's gonna suck waiting till the 14th of Feb to play as The Reem though :(

Should be getting a few copies to give away to people in the UK as well, will link the competition here as and when.

On a similar subject, we're getting some tix to the premier (or some kind of special advanced screening) of Hayware (Gina Carano's movie) in early Jan (16th I think). It's in London, so again I'll link the competition here.

So chuffed about this. I'm getting a review copy in a few weeks...it's gonna suck waiting till the 14th of Feb to play as The Reem though :(

Should be getting a few copies to give away to people in the UK as well, will link the competition here as and when.

On a similar subject, we're getting some tix to the premier (or some kind of special advanced screening) of Hayware (Gina Carano's movie) in early Jan (16th I think). It's in London, so again I'll link the competition here.

Did I tell you I love you? :p

But seriously..................................

I looked at Haywire's trailer recently. I was kinda giggling about it among my movie nerd buddies. But it actually looks kinda decent. It's got one hell of a cast in it

are you giving them away before the game comes out?

are you giving them away before the game comes out?

I honestly have no idea at the moment. We did a similar thing with the last UFC game...I can't recall if it was before or after the actual release date though. We don't actually get the physical copies ourselves, we just get allocated X-amount to give away, then pass on the details of the competition winners to the company in question who send em out.

We'll be getting PAL copies though, so you're out of luck anyway mate :(

I'll hopefully be getting my copy well before release though, and will post many picks of me enjoying it :-p

I honestly have no idea at the moment. We did a similar thing with the last UFC game...I can't recall if it was before or after the actual release date though. We don't actually get the physical copies ourselves, we just get allocated X-amount to give away, then pass on the details of the competition winners to the company in question who send em out.

We'll be getting PAL copies though, so you're out of luck anyway mate :(

I'll hopefully be getting my copy well before release though, and will post many picks of me enjoying it :-p

can you tell me how well hominick is when you get it and maybe post a video of a fight with him please. ;)