The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

Yeah it'd be terrible, plus out of him and Condit, the latter is way more deserving due to better performances prior to beating Hardy and beating Hardy in a much more impressive fashion. Would absolutely love Penn vs. Condit.

Johnson is something different though, if he could pick up another big win I wouldn't mind seeing him get worn out and beaten by GSP (or KO him in round one), definitely a fight they could sell.

I hope it isn't Anthony Johnson. He's a good fighter, but this match up will a serious mismatch in size.

Calling it a serious mismatch in size would be a major understatement. Johnson was so much bigger than Hardy it was ridiculous and I think he'd have a good 25-30lbs on Penn if they fought at Welterweight. And frankly, I really want to see Penn get KO'd and Johnson is the man to do it.

Calling it a serious mismatch in size would be a major understatement. Johnson was so much bigger than Hardy it was ridiculous and I think he'd have a good 25-30lbs on Penn if they fought at Welterweight.

Gets even scarier when I tell you that Dan weighed 192lbs for that fight!

Fact is though, EVERYONE at WW is going to have a huge size advantage on Penn, because weighs less than 170lbs. Even the smallest guy at welter is going to have 10lbs on him.

Calling it a serious mismatch in size would be a major understatement. Johnson was so much bigger than Hardy it was ridiculous and I think he'd have a good 25-30lbs on Penn if they fought at Welterweight. And frankly, I really want to see Penn get KO'd and Johnson is the man to do it.

That's not the worst part, though. What would suck is if Penn can't do anything to Johnson, but Johnson can't do anything to either. What happens if Penn AND Johnson gas out if they are in a fight against each other? Johnson cuts so much weight that him gassing out due to a lack of water isn't all that far-fetched, and Penn's lack of cardio and extra bulk.... ugh...

The only bigger dude I want to see him fight is Thiago Alves. Carlos Condit isn't a bad choice, either.

What I would like to see at WW...

Condit vs. Penn: That way you negate the HUGE size advantage and obvious lay in guard approach that Johnson just did. He may try to stand with BJ but if there is any problem he would resort to what works and grind it out. If Condit wins its a resume big resume builder and passing of the guard, if BJ wins...well the UFC never loses when he wins.

As for AJ...

Johnson vs. Sanchez (late summer/early fall)

Sanchez is a FOTN machine and these two could have some fireworks on their feet. With Sanchez' wrestling pedigree and size he would hopefully stop any attempt of the lay in guard approach for the whole fight.

The winners could then fight toward end of the year for WW title if GSP beats Shields and vacates, but if that doesn't happen at least we still get good fights so its a win-win. Only thing to note is that while I would love for Thiago to be in the mix he already has a fight soon and its not against a mainstream/ranked guy. Also I would say these four listed above have more mainstream popularity over all(Penn is Penn, Sanchez got on ESPN w/Kampmann, AJ is being hyped, Condit is the only argument)

Diaz vs. Daley will probably be really cool and here are some sweet picks:

Nick Diaz over Paul Daley by submission. Daley has big power but Diaz has a mad chin and absurd recovery time. They're both pretty shoddy at defending but Diaz has the reach so he'll get off first most of the time. It'll be fun for a couple of rounds before Daley gasses and Diaz taps him off a knockdown or a takedown.

Tatsuya Kawajiri over Gilbert Melendez by decision.

If Kawajiri manages to not get into RARGH BURNING SPIRIT LETS BRAWL mode he'll get the takedown and slice through Melendez' guard all night. I cannot wait to see what he can do with elbows on the ground. Melendez isn't bad but no way is he the second best lightweight in the world and his style won't work against a better wrestler who happens to be the best guard passer and one of the best clinch wrestlers at 155.

Keith Jardine over Gegard Mousasi by decision. Every analytical bone in my body tells me Jardine will lose this fight and that's why he will win.

Shinya Aoki over Lyle Beerbohm by submission. Aoki is really not as bad at wrestling as most people think even though I really hope he's not going to shoot single legs and hope to trap guys in the corner of a cage. Expecting fun wacky grappling and Aoki grabbing something in a scramble.

Get excited for this card damn it. :mad:

Diaz vs. Daley will probably be really cool and here are some sweet picks:

Nick Diaz over Paul Daley by submission. Daley has big power but Diaz has a mad chin and absurd recovery time. They're both pretty shoddy at defending but Diaz has the reach so he'll get off first most of the time. It'll be fun for a couple of rounds before Daley gasses and Diaz taps him off a knockdown or a takedown.

Tatsuya Kawajiri over Gilbert Melendez by decision.

If Kawajiri manages to not get into RARGH BURNING SPIRIT LETS BRAWL mode he'll get the takedown and slice through Melendez' guard all night. I cannot wait to see what he can do with elbows on the ground. Melendez isn't bad but no way is he the second best lightweight in the world and his style won't work against a better wrestler who happens to be the best guard passer and one of the best clinch wrestlers at 155.

Keith Jardine over Gegard Mousasi by decision. Every analytical bone in my body tells me Jardine will lose this fight and that's why he will win.

Shinya Aoki over Lyle Beerbohm by submission. Aoki is really not as bad at wrestling as most people think even though I really hope he's not going to shoot single legs and hope to trap guys in the corner of a cage. Expecting fun wacky grappling and Aoki grabbing something in a scramble.

Get excited for this card damn it. :mad:

I'm way pumped for this one. Disagree with two of your picks though. :)

I'm afraid Crusher folds under the bright lights again, especially after coming off such a big win. Melendez is a much tougher fight than Thomson and I think he kick boxes his way to a decision.

I just don't see Jardine beating Mousasi, but I hope I'm wrong. I think Daley is going to look great against Diaz early but make the mistake of following Diaz to the ground or getting tripped for a tie up. I see him going to sleep in this one. And I think Aoki ties Fancy Pants into knots. I'm really excited about that fight but am a little worried it will turn out like Ribeiro-Aoki where it's just bad kickboxing most of the time. I want to see these guys ROLL. :)

Diaz vs. Daley will probably be really cool

Yes.

Nick Diaz

Tatsuya Kawajiri

Keith Jardine

Shinya Aoki

No, no, no and no :-D

I'm actually (and don't ask me why, because I have no logical reason) taking Daley by KO or TKO due to cuts in the first half of the fight. This makes no sense; logic dictates that Diaz takes it to the mat and taps him in five mins. But I have a feeling. It took Diaz three rounds to beat Muhsin Corbbery. It took him nearly six mins to beat Thomas Denny, the guy who lost to the bully on Bully Beatdown. He went three rounds with Scot Smith, got caught hard by Zaromskis and traded with KJ for five rounds. I know how hard Paul has been training for this one...my gut feeling is that *if* Diaz tries to fight Daley like he fought any of those guys, he'll either get creamed early on, or have to take a second trip to that plastic surgeon to have Semtex's elbow imprint ironed out of his face.

Daley, second round stoppage (and by that I mean Diaz, 2nd round submission).

It bothers me that Kawajiri hasn't been training in a cage. We've seen countless Japanese fighters look lost outside of the ring and while Kawajiri is probably the most tailor-made Japanese fighter for the 'American style', I don't think he can cut it against Melendez. Gil is the better striker, I think we'll see him use his wrestling in reverse for the first few rounds while he works Kawajiri on the feet, before bull-rushing him into the cage and takeing him down as the fight wears on. From there he'll beat on the challenger until he gives up his back for the RNC.

Melendez, third round, submission.

The only way Jardine beats Mousasi is by getting him on his back, which he isn't good enough to do. Mousasi is too fast, and hits too hard. DoM will throw a leg kick, then eat a right-straight down the pipe and a left hook that will take his stupid looking head off in the 1st.

Mousasi, second round KO

As for Aoki, I just don't think he wants it anymore. Any fighter that talks retirement at his age raises questions for me. Although, I'd probably never want to show my face in a ring/cage again if I'd just been KO'd by a transvestite. Plus if Lyle loses again he'll be back on the crack pipe. I'm taking Fancy Pants by wedging Aoki into the cage and battering him with punches, elbows and meth sweat.

Beerbohm, decision.

elbows and meth sweat

I take it Fancy Pants used to be a drug addict?

What I don't like Aoki is how he is acting like he doesn't care about the quakes in his homelands. He comes off as a big douche in his interviews.

Hoping Jardine gets the win here even though I'm doubting it. Dunno why but I have always like him. Maybe it's cause he looks like a crazy viking and we all know Vikings rules :)

Pot head vs Dumb ass.....double knock out would be nice. Diaz is a good fighter and all but where would he rank in ufc? Anyone think he could take Penn or Finch? No way he is beating GSP :p and he would never fight Shields so meh.

Hard to get excitied for these lesser talents, like watching cfl when id rather be watching nfl.

The thing is, Aoki IS a jerk. He's a PR nightmare. If you don't have anything good to say, just "shut up". He's about as PR manageable as Nick Diaz or Paul Daley is. I saw all three of their interviews with Ariel Helwani - if Dana ever takes a personal look, he's going to go batdung crazy over those three.

The thing is, Aoki IS a jerk. He's a PR nightmare. If you don't have anything good to say, just "shut up". He's about as PR manageable as Nick Diaz or Paul Daley is. I saw all three of their interviews with Ariel Helwani - if Dana ever takes a personal look, he's going to go batdung crazy over those three.

Watching the Diaz one now, hilarious. Daley's surely not on that level of dickheadedness, stubborn and arrogant yes but slightly more media friendly :D

Helwani was very careful in what questions in what questions he asked Daley. Notice he didn't even try to dispute any of Daley's assertions.

The thing is, the Diaz brothers aren't dumb or jerks if you meet them in person or when they aren't in a bad mood. They are just extremely uncomfortable in doing media events.

Been away for a while... Looking forward to the Strikeforce show this weekend even though it's pretty one-sided in all of the main card matches. The only fight I see being even remotely close is El Nino and Crusher. And I see Kawajiri pulling out the decision win this time, setting up the inevitable rubber match later in the year or next year.

Jardine is going to be absolutely steamrolled by Mousasi(and hopefully that leads to Gegard moving to the UFC as it's time for him to face some real challenges).

Aoki shouldn't have any real issue with the untested Beerbohm.

And as much as people are talking about Diaz losing and not "standing up with Daley", I actually see this fight being the biggest mismatch of them all. Daley's ground game is garbage. Always has been, always will be. He has no desire to learn anything on the ground and translate it to the cage. I can see Diaz taking a few solid punches but Daley isn't going to put him away. Diaz will probably stand with him until it's unwise then take it to the ground for a fairly quick submission.

Pretty decent first card for Zuffa to put under their belt under the Strikeforce banner.

I take it Fancy Pants used to be a drug addict?

Yeah, for six years. Ended up in prison for a year. The story goes that he saw an episode of TUF while inside, and on the day of his release had his dad drop him off at a BJJ school. He had his first ammy bout a week later. There's a film coming out about him this year.

Hard to get excitied for these lesser talents, like watching cfl when id rather be watching nfl.

I dunno about that...Diaz is a top five WW (top four?), Daley is easily top ten...Mousasi lurking outside the 205 top ten due to inactivity in the division...Aoki and Kawajiri are in with a good shout of being top 10 LW's, Gil Melendez is top 2-3 at 155...Takeya is top ten at 145 (although his fight probably won't get shown)...

Plus pretty much EVERYONE on the card is exciting as hell to watch...I'd say it's as stacked a card as we've seen so far this year, especially for a non-UFC, non-PPV effort.

Okay I am just your regular uneducated casual MMA fan, which is why I normally do not post in this thread because my lack of knowledge would be very evident. That being said I am a fan and I do try and watch as much as I possibly can. And I must say that in no way, shape, or form was the Jardine/Mousasi fight a draw. Were the judges watching the same fight I was? And believe me this pains me to say this because I hate to agree with Mauro Ranallo on anything.:D

Also, what do they mean when they talk about the Japanese style of fighting? What are the main differences between Japan and the West when it comes to MMA.

Mousasi won. They were just counting the TDs. Jardine got his ass-whipped. But more importantly, Mousasi got exposed. NO Takedown Defense. He got taken down by KEITH JARDINE. He should have finished him in the fight, but couldn't because Jardine was fighting smart, and went for TDs. Jardine won, but poor judging and Mousasi's lack of TD defense is to blame.

Okay I am just your regular uneducated casual MMA fan, which is why I normally do not post in this thread because my lack of knowledge would be very evident. That being said I am a fan and I do try and watch as much as I possibly can. And I must say that in no way, shape, or form was the Jardine/Mousasi fight a draw. Were the judges watching the same fight I was? And believe me this pains me to say this because I hate to agree with Mauro Ranallo on anything.:D

As far as the JArdine/Mousasi goes...morally, we all know who won the fight...but by the letter of the law, it was a draw. 10-8, 9-10, 9-10. You get four takedown in 5 mins in American MMA and it wins you the round. The point deduction was justified without a warning by the letter of the law, so that's a 10-8 in my book. Two 10-9's to Mousasi makes it a 28-28 draw.

Also, what do they mean when they talk about the Japanese style of fighting? What are the main differences between Japan and the West when it comes to MMA.

Japanese MMA is...different. Mainly because most Japanese fighters come up through the Shooto system. Shooto isn't a promotion like the UFC or Strikeforce...it's a governing/sanctioning body. The promoters are companies like Sustain, which is the main Shooto promoter. In Shooto, you have to have licences to fight at certain levels. You start off in the amateur ranks and progress to B and A class Pro ranks. You have to train at a Shooto-approved gym.

Anywho...as for the Japanese style...firstly, they cut little to no weight. Secondly, no elbows. Thirdly, the ground game is more Judo/Catch based than BJJ based. Finally, the haircuts are 300% more gangsta.

Mousasi won. They were just counting the TDs.

It's not that black and white...fights are judged on a percentage system....so if a greater part of the offence in the fight is takedowns (i.e. there is more offensive time spent on takedowns and their aftermath), then they are weighted more heavily in the scoring.

I'm not saying it's ideal, but that's the way it is. By the letter of the law, it was a draw.

Brashey Holland, what's your take on the Daley/Diaz fight? I think it was a bit early stoppage, but a fair nonetheless. But Daley's concern isn't just the fight... what's going to happen to him now? He's talked stuff about Dana AND Coker.

I thought it was an absolute war. Nearly had a vodka and Japanese dumpling induced heart attack when Daley knocked him down!!

Spoke to Paul very, very briefly just now, he's very pragmatic. Personally, I think it'll be the end of his career in top flight (read: Zuffa-owned) MMA. BAMMA, MFC, Shark Fights....here he comes.

EDIT: As for the stoppage, absolutely fair.....although, who wouldn't have wanted them to let it go for another couple of seconds? :-p

Finally, the haircuts are 300% more gangsta.

And the entrances are about 1000% more epic. They even have custom graphics for fighters on their big screens and entranceways. Entrance production comparing Japan to UFC is like comparing WWE to CZW.

When I first saw Yoshihiro Akiyama's entrance (at the Yarrenoka! show) I was blown away by how awesome it was.