Official MLB Discussion Thread

BHK1978

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Willis simply lost control of his pitches. He forgot how to throw strikes, just like Steve Blass. Last year he got pulled in a game against the Red Sox without giving up a hit...he gave up 5 runs with nothing but walks and wild pitches. He's not a servicable long/middle reliever, he's no more effective against lefties than righties. Every 4 or 5 games he might return to form and dominate a team (usually a bad team), but the rest of the games he won't get to the 5th inning. He'll be just as useful to Arizona as a pinch hitter than as a pitcher.

In unrelated news, Armando Galarraga just had a perfect game stolen from him...blown call on the last out of the 9th inning.

it's sad really, I truly thought Griffey was one of the top 5 to ever play the game. A-Rod, Pojuls, Howard didn't have power like the kid did. His power didn't come from big arms, it came from one of the quickest bats I've ever seen. He ran well, hit well, and arguably one of the greatest center fielders of all-time.

I really think the Reds trade doomed him. It was sad to see him fall the way he did, but the first 8 years of his career there was very few better.

Also might I say after 2 or 3 years Barry Zito is starting to earn his money.

Well, nobody's perfect! [/irony]

There is an overabundance of perfect games though. What's it been, 3 in as many weeks? How many had there been in the history of baseball before that?

It's 20 offically, but this one would have made 21 and 18 before this year

8 have come in the juice ball era

2 are by the Rays (two years in a row) 3 by the Dogers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_game#Unofficial_perfect_games

there are a couple unofficial ones on there that made me laugh

ESPN has a poll this poll going about the call

A) Change the call and award a perfect game

B) Let call stand

I choose let call stand while 76% say change. Here is my reason though, it's sports you take the good with the bad. An ump blows a call...... geez were have I heard that from. There would be no point in overturning this. I feel for the guy, but you have to take the good with the bad.

I remember the Steelers vs Lions (blown coin toss), Padres vs Rockies for the final spot in the playoffs (I believe it was the padres but I remember the guy was out at home and the ump called him safe)

Maybe after this MLB officials will try to make Replay become a bigger part of the game in baseball (mistake). If MLB was thinking of changing this call please don't. Once again I feel for the pitcher, but blown calls (even as bad as this one) are apart of the game.

Edit: It was the Padres and not only the home plate play there was also the mess up on the HR

But that's been apart of baseball forever.

It's a call that didn't affect the result of the game. People need to move on. In Halladay's perfect game a few days ago he got TWO gift strike calls in 3-2 counts. I don't remember anyone complaining then.

Fix the parks and make the rules uniform first before you worry about a call like this.

Hopefully after this Replay can become a bigger part of the game in baseball. If MLB was thinking of changing this call please don't. Once again I feel for the pitcher, but blown calls (even as bad as this one) are apart of the game.

I do not want to see replay of any kind in baseball (even in its current form). To me that is part of the charm of the game, umps make errors and that is only human. Plus, games are already long enough so why add to the to the time? I mean if every close play is replayed the games will last forever.

If they add replay like this to baseball it is going to ruin the game. There going to start looking at every little thing and ruin the spirit of the game. That's just my opinion. I mean the Refs can't be totally accurate all the time it's human error. If you start to mess with the game it's going to ruin it.

Baseball games are 18 minutes longer now than 20 years ago without replay. I'd contend that stepping in and out of the batter's box, Tony LaRussa's way of handling pitchers, and players/managers arguing calls is what extends game by way of dead time. Replay replaces the arguing and is far more efficient. Should it happen? Absolutely. Should they change the call on the previous call? No, there's more pressing needs.

If they add replay like this to baseball it is going to ruin the game. There going to start looking at every little thing and ruin the spirit of the game. That's just my opinion. I mean the Refs can't be totally accurate all the time it's human error. If you start to mess with the game it's going to ruin it.

No I agree with both you and BHK about replay making the game longer. Now if there is a way to make it quick and easy (where the umps don't have to go into the dugouts and stuff) like only takes 2 seconds and the replay ump announces it over the loud speakers then I am all for it.

But limit it to certain calls and make it quick if you are going to do it.

I don't see how anyone can watch that play and say MLB shouldn't have replay. Saying "Well, it's part of the game" is ridiculous, IMO. If they have the ability to get the call right, they should use it.

I do agree that they shouldn't stop to look at every little thing, though, as baseball games are pretty damn long as is. I saw a guy on ESPN earlier today who suggested they give the power to the managers to call for a replay, and give each team one replay per game. That way, if a controversial call pops up during a game, it can be reviewed, but you wouldn't be making the games much longer. I'm not sure if that's the perfect solution, but it would still be an improvement.

I'd be against the "1 replay", because of that happens, and you use it (validly) early in the game, then the umpires are immune for the rest of the game on bad calls. Cut down on the crotch grabbing, and wasted time during at bats and you have ample time for replays (which would replace the arguing anyway). I'd say you have 1 challenge, but if you get it right, you don't lose it.

I'd be against the "1 replay", because of that happens, and you use it (validly) early in the game, then the umpires are immune for the rest of the game on bad calls. Cut down on the crotch grabbing, and wasted time during at bats and you have ample time for replays (which would replace the arguing anyway). I'd say you have 1 challenge, but if you get it right, you don't lose it.

I'd be in favor of that.

I don't see how anyone can watch that play and say MLB shouldn't have replay. Saying "Well, it's part of the game" is ridiculous, IMO. If they have the ability to get the call right, they should use it.

I do agree that they shouldn't stop to look at every little thing, though, as baseball games are pretty damn long as is. I saw a guy on ESPN earlier today who suggested they give the power to the managers to call for a replay, and give each team one replay per game. That way, if a controversial call pops up during a game, it can be reviewed, but you wouldn't be making the games much longer. I'm not sure if that's the perfect solution, but it would still be an improvement.

A lot of baseball fans (and I include myself in this group) do not like drastic changes made to the game. So it becomes a hard sell to introduce something so radical to the game.

Hell I hate the Wild Card and the three divisions with a passion because you have weak teams either winning the wild card or winning their division.