Official MLB Discussion Thread

BHK1978

A lot of baseball fans (and I include myself in this group) do not like drastic changes made to the game. So it becomes a hard sell to introduce something so radical to the game.

Hell I hate the Wild Card and the three divisions with a passion because you have weak teams either winning the wild card or winning their division.

I can agree with BHK on the change.

Real MLB fans (no offense to anyone) don't want change at all. We like our sport the way it is. Errors are a part of the game (hence why we made it a stat). I do agree that replay would help but at the same time it could hurt the game.

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Real MLB fans (no offense to anyone) don't want change at all. We like our sport the way it is. Errors are a part of the game (hence why we made it a stat). I do agree that replay would help but at the same time it could hurt the game.

Except I've only seen E1-9, I've never seen "E-Umpire1."

I'm not a "real fan" because I want to see some form of replay system? Whatever you say. :rolleyes:

agree to disagree, you want replay so that questionable plays can be made right. I see it as something that has gone on for over 100 years and his embed into baseball history.

I can see both sides of the coin, I mean it would be nice to get some missed calls right. However, like I said I am just not a huge fan of change when it comes to baseball. I don't think TFC is any less of a fan for wanting replay, he is just on the other side of the coin from us.

That being said change can be good, like I said I am not a fan of the wild card but I understand why it is there and it does give other fans the hope that if their team gets hot at the right time they may win the whole thing.

agree to disagree, you want replay so that questionable plays can be made right. I see it as something that has gone on for over 100 years and his embed into baseball history.

That's fine. I understand the arguments against replay. I don't agree with them, but I get it. It's about tradition, and not tinkering with the rules of the game and all that stuff. Like I said, I don't agree with that opinion, but I understand it. I just had a problem with the "real fans" bit of your post. It probably would've worked better if you'd said "purists", or something like that.

Here's a different question: will we see expanded use of instant replay in baseball? Not "should" we, but "will" we?

That's fine. I understand the arguments against replay. I don't agree with them, but I get it. It's about tradition, and not tinkering with the rules of the game and all that stuff. Like I said, I don't agree with that opinion, but I understand it. I just had a problem with the "real fans" bit of your post. It probably would've worked better if you'd said "purists", or something like that.

Here's a different question: will we see expanded use of instant replay in baseball? Not "should" we, but "will" we?

I apologize to both of you. You two are right you are real fans just not purists like BHK and myself, so once again I apologize I should have used better terminology.

Honestly yes I think it will get a big push to be more helpful to team. Honestly baseball needs to do something to attract more fans first, if that is fixing the game (as much as I would hate it) then that's what they are going to do.

I also will catch a lot of crap about this, but I think Bud Selig is the worst Comish ever, but I respect him for not overturning the call.

I apologize to both of you. You two are right you are real fans just not purists like BHK and myself, so once again I apologize I should have used better terminology.

Honestly yes I think it will get a big push to be more helpful to team. Honestly baseball needs to do something to attract more fans first, if that is fixing the game (as much as I would hate it) then that's what they are going to do.

I also will catch a lot of crap about this, but I think Bud Selig is the worst Comish ever, but I respect him for not overturning the call.

Bud Selig should have never been made commissioner in the first place. A commissioner should have some level of imparcialness (not sure if that is a word:D) to him. He or she should not be a former owner.

Bud Selig should have never been made commissioner in the first place. A commissioner should have some level of imparcialness (not sure if that is a word:D) to him. He or she should not be a former owner.

Lol or current owners :p (yes I know he gave up interest when he took over the role, but did he truly stop helping... the world may never know ;) )

Bud has been stuck with a lot of things that he couldn't do anything about.

If he had tried to go after steroids in the 90s he would have been voted out and replaced with a guy who would have covered up the whole thing. I think fans getting mad at him over steroids are misdirecting their blame. The owners and Players Association are the reason steroids were so prevalent and the reason why it was so accepted. Expecting Bud to go after 30 billionares (who hired him and have the powe to fire him) and 500 millionares on his own is unfair to Bud.

Bud has been stuck with a lot of things that he couldn't do anything about.

If he had tried to go after steroids in the 90s he would have been voted out and replaced with a guy who would have covered up the whole thing. I think fans getting mad at him over steroids are misdirecting their blame. The owners and Players Association are the reason steroids were so prevalent and the reason why it was so accepted. Expecting Bud to go after 30 billionares (who hired him and have the powe to fire him) and 500 millionares on his own is unfair to Bud.

Slag I like you so please don't take offense to this.

ARE YOU CRAZY! He didn't start doing anything about it till it went public (in 05) he signed a contract through 06 back in 01. Selig and the owners had to have know (believe Jose C or not) about what was going on. Selig didn't want to fix it. He saw attendance going up, revenue going up, and along with it his salary went up.

Selig will make 18 million this year (the same as last year). He makes more than Stern and Goddell (two much better Comish). He also gets paid more than pretty much every baseball player (I think maybe 15 make more then him).

I loved how he tells people "I am old and want to retire and nothing not even a great amount of money will change my mind"...... "What you want me for 3 more years okay!" Selig had the vote of the owners don't let anyone fool you on that. Even when the steroids hit and people blamed him it didn't sway (yes because it's not his fault that players took him you are right about that), but he didn't do anything to stop it which makes him (the head figure of the game) just as reliable as the owners, players, and players Association.

Once again, that was nothing against you slags just me voicing my opinion on that part..... sorry bud:( lol

Jon Lovitz, I mean David Stern, doesn't much impress me as commissioner. As for Selig, even without that contract, go after the players, if they get rid of you, you still collect. But at least you're taking a stand. As for the resistance to replay, it's one of the many things that continues to de-legitimize the game, so if that's what they want to do, that's cool.

Jon Lovitz, I mean David Stern, doesn't much impress me as commissioner. As for Selig, even without that contract, go after the players, if they get rid of you, you still collect. But at least you're taking a stand. As for the resistance to replay, it's one of the many things that continues to de-legitimize the game, so if that's what they want to do, that's cool.

replay is still flawed itself though, because of the simple fact that humans make the call. Now while replays will help correct the big mistakes (i.e last night) it won't always resolve the little ones. People will complain still about the umps judgement and life will go on. So for an instant like last night I don't care use it, but if people are going to want to replay everything then it won't work. (strikes/balls, errors, other little tid bits)

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="CQI13" data-cite="CQI13" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26724" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I just remember that donkey from the Braves minor league team. What was it, like a 15 minute delay? Ridiculous. Thankfully he got fired like a week later.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> After the season he was reasigned to a different minor league team...they won the championship his first year there, lol. A friend of mine is playing for him this season.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="BHK1978" data-cite="BHK1978" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26724" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I guess Stephen Strasburg lived up to the hype tonight! Striking out 14 batters in his debut! In the words of the immortal Phil Rizzuto, "Holy Cow".</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> No walks, either. That's a great game for anybody, let alone a 21 year old in his first game. If he started the season in Washington like he should have, he'd be a legit Cy Young contender. In the words of the immortal Harry Caray, "Stephen Strasburg spelled backwards is nehpets grubsarts."</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Candyman" data-cite="Candyman" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26724" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>No walks, either. That's a great game for anybody, let alone a 21 year old in his first game. If he started the season in Washington like he should have, he'd be a legit Cy Young contender. In the words of the immortal Harry Caray, "Stephen Strasburg spelled backwards is nehpets grubsarts."</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Washington aren't serious playoff contenders. They did the right thing keeping Strasburg in AA/AAA and saving money long term.</p>

Is it me, or has the season that Stephen Strasburg has had thus far mirrored Doc Gooden's rookie year? I mean the guy can throw k's just like Doctor K and he has had a great rookie year thus far (granted he does not have that many games under his belt yet).

Now I highly doubt that he will match Doc's wins (Only because Stephen has come up mid-season and is playing on a team that is not as good as the 84 Mets.). That being said this kid has lived up to the hype so far and hopefully he can bring interest to Baseball in D.C., just as a screw you to Peter Angelos.

Is it me, or has the season that Stephen Strasburg has had thus far mirrored Doc Gooden's rookie year? I mean the guy can throw k's just like Doctor K and he has had a great rookie year thus far (granted he does not have that many games under his belt yet).

Now I highly doubt that he will match Doc's wins (Only because Stephen has come up mid-season and is playing on a team that is not as good as the 84 Mets.). That being said this kid has lived up to the hype so far and hopefully he can bring interest to Baseball in D.C., just as a screw you to Peter Angelos.

Eh, it'd be hard for him to hit the wins you are right, but he could. As of right now the Nats are still keeping him under 100 pitches and he has still manged to get into the 7 twice (shows that even when he SO a lot he is smart and quick about it)

He does play on a horrible team but a pitcher can make them look good the night they do play (think Rockies and Ubaldo, Halladay and Phil's) now they aren't bad teams but they are struggling, When those two pitchers pitch though the teams look like World Series contenders each time.