Official MLB Discussion Thread

BHK1978

I often wondered why the Pirates are in the NL Central in the first place. It makes no sense. There only true rival in that division is the Reds. If you were to put them where they belong in the NL East you have the Mets, Phillies, and Nationals as rivals.

I'd guess because there are so many eastern teams in the National League. There's really nobody that could fit the Central in terms of geography. Atlanta is the furthest west of any of the NL East teams. I guess they could always make the NL East the six team division though.

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd guess because there are so many eastern teams in the National League. There's really nobody that could fit the Central in terms of geography. Atlanta is the furthest west of any of the NL East teams. I guess they could always make the NL East the six team division though.

That was what I was thinking. I just feel that the Pirates have more natural rivals in the East. So why not make the NL East the six team division.

That was what I was thinking. I just feel that the Pirates have more natural rivals in the East. So why not make the NL East the six team division.

That would make too much sense for Selig to let happen though :rolleyes: I really hope they don't switch over to 15 in each league, that would be so dumb. The only way I could think of that working schedule wise is to have 1 interleague series going on all the time, that would be horrible.

That would make too much sense for Selig to let happen though :rolleyes: I really hope they don't switch over to 15 in each league, that would be so dumb. The only way I could think of that working schedule wise is to have 1 interleague series going on all the time, that would be horrible.

You are preaching to the choir on that one. I have never been a fan of interleague. However, now that I know we will probably never get rid of it, I think it should be limited. Meaning Yankees/Mets, Cardinals/Royals, Cubs/White Sox, et cetera.

I mean come on who is actually looking forward to seeing the Royals play the Nationals?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Well it seems like I am the only person that keeps this topic up. I guess posters on this site are big on baseball.:( Anyway, Mariano Rivera now has the most saves in the history of the game. I guess it was the right decision to convert him to a relief pitcher.

I usually check into this topic, just haven't been around GDS much lately. Congrats to Mo, certainly the best closer of all time having that claim backed up after today. Don't get me wrong, Hoffman was a great closer, but I don't really think he's in the same league as Rivera, he has pitched in so many more huge games and always comes up big.

Even if the Devil Rays do not make it into the playoffs I strongly believe Joe Maddon should win Manager of the Year. In my opinion he is one of the best if not the best manager in the game right now. How he has managed to get the Rays to where they are with the team they have is beyond me.

Yes the players have to play the games so he is not the only reason for their success. However, in the past there have been great managers that have not been able to get the most out of their team. And Maddon does just that, he gets the most out of his players. He is like a modern day Tom Kelly in my opinion.

Even if the Devil Rays do not make it into the playoffs I strongly believe Joe Maddon should win Manager of the Year. In my opinion he is one of the best if not the best manager in the game right now. How he has managed to get the Rays to where they are with the team they have is beyond me.

Yes the players have to play the games so he is not the only reason for their success. However, in the past there have been great managers that have not been able to get the most out of their team. And Maddon does just that, he gets the most out of his players. He is like a modern day Tom Kelly in my opinion.

Yeah, if the managers of the year aren't Maddon from the AL and Kirk Gibson from the NL then something is wrong. You hit the nail on the head with Maddon, but I think Gibson has equaled him this season. Everybody knew the D'Backs had a little talent, but nobody though they would come close to doing anything yet, especially with the World Champs in their division. At the beginning of the year I had them slotted 4th in the West, and they are putting a hurting on their division mates. I think Gibson should get a lot of the credit for making his team believe that they can win now and getting them through the long season and in all probability into the playoffs.

I just read that Ozzie Guillen was just let out of his contract as manager of the White Sox. Seriously, he couldn't wait just two more days? What the hell is up with that.

If he doesn't find a job as a manager, I hope that either ESPN or MLB Network hire him for an in studio gig. Because he is comic gold.

I just read that Ozzie Guillen was just let out of his contract as manager of the White Sox. Seriously, he couldn't wait just two more days? What the hell is up with that.

If he doesn't find a job as a manager, I hope that either ESPN or MLB Network hire him for an in studio gig. Because he is comic gold.

I'm almost 100 percent sure he'll be the manager of the Marlins next season. Plus, he could never work for a network, dude can't go more than two sentences without dropping multiple f bombs.

I'm almost 100 percent sure he'll be the manager of the Marlins next season. Plus, he could never work for a network, dude can't go more than two sentences without dropping multiple f bombs.

Yeah from what I saw on the MLB Network he was essentially traded to the Marlins for two minor leaguers. I wonder if it is that time of the decade for the Marlins to win a World Series and then suck for another ten years...

Best season of baseball in a while?????

both wildcards are tied with the last game tonight. Rays go against the best team in the AL while Sox play on of the worst. Cards the worst team in MLB in Astros while Braves get best team in NL (yes better than Brewers) in the Phils.

Cards and Rays came back the final month after trailing a combined 17.5 games. The Rays are one of the best pitching teams in the MLB and Sox one of the best Offense. I think this is great for baseball and to me this should say to Rays fans "Hey if you filled that stadium 25k monday through thursday and 30k plus Friday through Sunday the Rays could afford to keep people and pay people to come here.

Anyways, great season.

My awards

AL MVP: Miguel Cabrera if the Soxs dont make it in, if the Sox get in the Ellsbury

AL CY Young: Verlander, sorry I think this is a run away.

AL Rookie: While Nova has the better record he also gets a lot of run support and his 3.70 ERA points this out. Jeremy Hellickson to me is the top rookie this year with a winning record and a 2.90 ERA

AL Comeback Player: James Shields, Shields has been the ace of the great Rays rotation and leads the league in complete games and his past two games went 8.2 innings each time.

AL Manger of the Year: Joe Maddon, I don't even know who else to consider. The Rays lost a crap load of talent, didn't promote their C.C replacement till August, Traded their number 2 pitcher (and only no-hitter) to the cubs and replaced their entire bullpen with cast offs, yet on the last day of the season at a 40 million dollar payroll they are 1 win away (and a bosox loss) from the playoffs.

(side note)

Jim Hickey (Rays pitching coach) and Joe Maddon have always caught a lot of crap from Rays fans for this team, but I believe (honestly) Maddon is the best (or at least top 3) mangers in the league. I honestly think they need a better hitting coach. Hickey has gone and helped guide Hellickson, Davis, Neimann, into respectable pitcher and the bullpen has looked amazing this year. Most teams spend 10's of millions on bullpen and the Rays probably spent a combined 5 mill or less on theirs.

AL Fireman (reliever): Jose Valverde, I know a bunch of people want Mo, but Jose is perfect on the year.

NL MVP: Matt Kemp, I am sorry I don't look at records when I do this. Matt Kemp was the most valuable to his team with out a doubt, 3rd in avg, tied for 1st in hr (only because Fielder went ape **** last night), 1st in RBI, 1st in runs, 2nd in hits, and the list goes on. If Kemp was on the Cards surrounded by better player I could only imagine. Hell A-Rod won it on an even worse team in an offensive era.

NL CY: Kershaw, Listen this is a four horse race, but again the other 3 are on winning teams, Kershaw has the best ERA and tied for wins. Kershaw to me is the CY Young and the Dodgers become the first team ever to have the MVP and CY Young winner and yet don't make the playoffs. (if I were picking)

NL Rookie: Freddie Freeman, I think the Braves are starting their rebuilding while they are still in contention.

NL Manger: Kirk Gibson, yeah, brewers and Phils are top two. Kirk though took a struggling team and turned them around. Phils were supposed to win, Brewers traded for Zach G. to give them a front of the rotation guy. Arizona traded for Yankee cast off..... ya

NL Comeback Player: Jose Reyes, wanna know why..... go look at his play and numbers from last year and this year (hell you can look two years ago as well)

NL Fireman: John Axford..... ya I like that pick.

That was the most intense night of baseball I can remember for sometime, really was an amazing few hours. And GatorBait, I generally agree with your awards predictions, except the AL MVP. I think that Curtis Granderson is going to run away with that award. The only thing Cabrera has him beat in is average stats wise, Granderson beat him pretty badly in homers, runs, RBIs and stolen bases. I guess the only argument is that Cabrera is more valuable to the Tigers than Granderson is to the Yankees, which is one of my gripes with the award, I think it should just be given to the best player regardless.

Idk, i think the O's have a better overall offense then the Yanks. They are a more balanced team with speed and should score a lot of runs. They also have a talented fielding team.

They one thing that to me will hold the O's back is the pitching staff. They had a great series against the Rays ( :( ) but how much can a pitching staff that didn't excite people last year really excite people for the long run this year.

I am somewhat rooting for the O's because it sucks to be in the toughest division in all of sports. I hope they have a good season and prove.... hey I don't need 200 million dollar payroll like the Rays have done 2 of the last 3 years.

What does this mean? Do you think the O's will score more runs than the Yankees?

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Orioles: 708 Runs

Yankees: 867 Runs

They also had more hits, homeruns and stole bases. So much for the Orioles offense being better or more balanced. ;)

I know this is a couple of days late but for the life of me I can't understand the Red Sox firing Terry Francona. Yes I understand someone should take the blame and it is usually the Manager that is the one it falls upon. However, I truly do not think this was his fault.

There is only so much a manager can do, there comes a time when the players have to play. Now don't get me wrong I have always felt that Tito was an overrated manager, but he did help guide them to, two World Series wins. Which means he won as many World Series as Tommy Lasorda and Tom Kelly (both of whom I consider to be great managers). I just think the firing had more to do with someone needing to be the goat for their epic fail.

And who is it going to be? You are not going to touch the overpaid Carl Crawford, you can't touch the arrogant closer and you can't touch the wunderkind GM Theo (who put together this team and who I think is more at fault). So Terry got canned and honestly I hope he lands on his feet somewhere else.

I know this is a couple of days late but for the life of me I can't understand the Red Sox firing Terry Francona. Yes I understand someone should take the blame and it is usually the Manager that is the one it falls upon. However, I truly do not think this was his fault.

There is only so much a manager can do, there comes a time when the players have to play. Now don't get me wrong I have always felt that Tito was an overrated manager, but he did help guide them to, two World Series wins. Which means he won as many World Series as Tommy Lasorda and Tom Kelly (both of whom I consider to be great managers). I just think the firing had more to do with someone needing to be the goat for their epic fail.

And who is it going to be? You are not going to touch the overpaid Carl Crawford, you can't touch the arrogant closer and you can't touch the wunderkind GM Theo (who put together this team and who I think is more at fault). So Terry got canned and honestly I hope he lands on his feet somewhere else.

I didn't watch it too closely but I thought Francona was the one who chose to leave. He talked about the team not responding to the things that were happening and pretty much admitting that he had no control over most of the veterans.

There were reports that the Red Sox may have fired him and let him say he quit. Personally I believe the truth is somewhere in the middle. I think that when the Sox told him to hit the bricks he let out a big sigh of relief. The stories that have come out about the team since he left have not made it sound like it was a fun job towards the end.

One thing I'll say about Ruben Amaro the Phillies GM is that one of the biggest factors in bringing in a player is that they are good people and good teammates. The Phillies won't bring in pitchers who drink in the clubhouse during games.

Yankees: 396 Road Runs

Orioles: 348 Road Runs

Orioles also out hit the Yanks on the road. Yanks obviously out-walked and out-slugged them tho.

Jus sayin'

Don't get your point. The Yankees scored more runs on the road...ok? That backs up my point.

And what do you mean they "outhit them?" Batting average? If so, big deal. Least important of the major offensive categories.