TCW Discussion Thread

Figured there is one for SWF, USPW, etc. Might as well have one for TCW.

With just a million in the bank, money is an issue for TCW from the start. I found that making money isn't the difficult, so as long as you don't go hog wild and try to drop $5m into a development territory, the finances should be stable before too long. Especially if you move to a bigger US PPV carrier and find carriers elsewhere... just remember to reset all the events back to PPV if you have no carriers for any amount of time...

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm playing my second game as TCW, a few months in and have lost popularity on a few shows (which doesn't usually happen for me) I guess I gotta step it up a bit. Starting a development territory and filling it is really awesome, one of my favourite new features.

First game with TCW. I am 3 months in a made it back to international in month 2.

Joey Minnesota turning on Ricky Dale Johnson and The Machines turning face have been gold for me.

Im at a lost on what to do with Genghis Rahn and Texas Pete. They are consistently putting up matches in the 50s and segments in the 50s.

Current Champs:All Action Ed Stone, International Sammy Bach, TCW Vacant, TCW Tag Team The Machines

The TCW Championship is vacant because I messed up. I brought in Bruce the Giant from USPW(talent trade) for Golden to get over on him. I set up a triple threat(because Golden vs Bruce isnt a great 1 v 1 match) for the title in which Bruce was suppose to win by DQ. I wasnt thinking and didnt even think of the fact that the match couldnt end in DQ so Bruce the Giant won the belt on regular TV.

The next week I had Bruce the Giant turn over the belt to the authority Mr. John J Campbell(Nemesis) Campbell and Golden have a feud going in the first place so it wasnt all the unusual.

My plan sort of worked as Golden has a 93 momentum after he beat Bruce the Giant in "Just another Day" unfortunately he doesnt have the belt.

I am probably going to set up a tourny with RDJ getting a belt as he has a lot of momentum after winning the feud with Joey Minnesota. Plus I want to get RDJ closer to the HOI.

First game with TCW. I am 3 months in a made it back to international in month 2.

Joey Minnesota turning on Ricky Dale Johnson and The Machines turning face have been gold for me.

Im at a lost on what to do with Genghis Rahn and Texas Pete. They are consistently putting up matches in the 50s and segments in the 50s.

Yeah, I bumped up to international at the end of February. You don't even have to put on fantastic shows to increase - I usually got the increasing popularity message even after B shows.

Rahn, Buffalo, and Texas are not the most obviously useful of workers in TCW. But they are not useless. Especially with the value of brute gimmicks. If you have a B show, they can be made to be quite valuable. Basically, switch them to brute gimmicks and have them run rough-shod over the lower midcard ranks. Dominate some matches, so their popularity shoots up quickly. But do so carefully, so you're wrecking the popularity and momentum of your entire lower card. But turn around use the popularity off the brutes to help out the midcard guys. Plus, some menace-based beatdown angles to keep their momentum up. Bam, they are quite useful.

Texas Pete is a very important guy to keep on the TCW roster. He's not so great in the ring, but you're not likely to find so young a worker who is as positive a backstage influence as Texas Pete.

Exactly. This is one of the primary reasons I signed him to the SWF in my diary game and why he stuck around. He doesn't complain about jobbing usually, either. If he doesn't improve, he likely won't be anything more than a midcarder, but that's not without value either. But if he can improve, he could be a backbone-type worker. Tagging him with someone more talented is one obviousy way of trying to get him to improve - could be RDJ, Eddie Peak, Clark Alexander, or bring somebody in... Pistol Pete Hall would be a good choice if/when he becomes available.

Just started a TCW game, they're tougher than I thought they would be. They have some great upper talent but there's not much talent on the roster. Had a bad first show, B- but had a bunch of bad notes which stunk, (3 bad chemistries, put 2 people call in ring that shouldnt be)

live and learn

Three bad chemistries resulting in a B- is hardly an epic fail. Make a couple adjustments, and things will be just fine. I almost always struggle with new promotions. Once you get the hang of the place, it just becomes automatic, getting good grades. Once you're not trying to figure out how to pop a good show rating, you can spend all your time on the fun stuff, like feuds, and making your favourite useless jobber the face of your company.

A B- isn't a brutal first show, especially considering the bad chemistries. Getting a C off the bat is closer to bad and should make one worry. In the watcher game I ran, TCW ran mostly B- and B shows and hit global before the end of 2010. They only had a few B+ shows in there. SWF was much the same, to be honest.

Just got through Total Mayhem XV

Ricky Dale Johnson defeats Tommy Cornell to win the vacant TCW Championship belt. Scored a 79 on the show which I am shocked by. I was expecting a low/mid 85.

The Keiths defeat The Machines for the belts 85

6 person ladder match with Bach winning 70

Joshua Taylor defeats Bryan Holmes 67

Peak defeats Ino 82

Vessey defeats Law 79

Tornado defeats Andrews 76

Golden defeats Hawkins 82

Ricky Dale Johnson defeats Cornell 87

Usually when I book my first, co main, and main event this well I will get a grade real close to the Main Event so I am not sure why this card didnt end up as good as Id like.

In other news Joey Minnesota and I had a falling out after a failed re-negotiation.

Just started a TCW game, they're tougher than I thought they would be. They have some great upper talent but there's not much popularity on the roster. Had a bad first show, B- but had a bunch of bad notes which stunk, (3 bad chemistries, put 2 people call in ring that shouldnt be)

just pick the type of match that you want and then filter the guys out depending on if its a tech match or brawl or high spot or obv psychology should be high to call in the ring.

• 1 month later...
Anyone else have any "must do's" when running TCW? I'm having a bit of trouble getting a handle on the promotion.

Do you mean "must do" in terms of booking approach, business changes, or storylines?

One of the things I always do is adjust the match-angle ratio to 80%. There are some great entertainers on the roster so it allows better use of them. Guys like Peak can really benefit from the use of menace-based angles, especially if you change him to a Brute gimmick.

I tend to test for chemistry pretty hardcore with TCW. Negative chemistry seems to have a bigger negative affect, as the match itself is more important than in SWF. I use a spreadsheet to keep track of all tested results, as the game tracks positive or negative results, but not neutral.

I do believe I set up a TCW Thread

TCW Champion Sam Keith

TCW Tag Champ The New Wave

TCW International Champ Rick Law

TCW All Action Champ Sammy Bach

Troy Tornado is head of a faction called the Rock'n'Roll Express with Edd Stone, Charlie Thatcher and My next big star Freedy Huggins

I do believe I set up a TCW Thread

TCW Champion Sam Keith

TCW Tag Champ The New Wave

TCW International Champ Rick Law

TCW All Action Champ Sammy Bach

Troy Tornado is head of a faction called the Rock'n'Roll Express with Edd Stone, Charlie Thatcher and My next big star Freedy Huggins

Which was unnecessary, as there already was one.

Interesting choice to put the belt on Sam Keith. I like it.

I have sent down Texas Pete to development alongside Marshall Dillon, who I signed after the SWF let him go. I hope I can turn them into a solid tag team someday: The Blackjacks, Blackjack Dillon and Blackjack Pete.

Wolf Hawkins is my World Champion after a 7 month run by Rocky Golden, who is now on vacation after he got so upset. I gave him some months off to see how it goes, but for a man who only lost 3 times and beat pretty much every other main eventer over 7 months he has become a serious prima dona.

I lost Danny Fonzarelli and Kosohiro Ino to the SWF. Too bad about Ino because I had built him up to become the next World Champion.

Right now my champs are:

TCW World:

Wolf Hawkins

TCW International:

Sam Keith (will lose it to Human Arsenal soon).

TCW Tag Team:

The Keith Dynasty (beat L.A. Connection, now feuding with The New Wave)

TCW All-Action:

Champagne Lover (beat Hell Monkey, then feuded with a heel turned Harry Allen and now will drop it to Steven Parker).

I also had the RDJ vs Joey feud after Joey turned to join the Syndicate but it bombed badly. I am running these feuds now:

Vessey vs American Buffalo"

Benny Benson vs Wolf Hawkins

Josuha Taylor vs Rick Law

Human Arsenal vs Sam Keith

Champagne Lover vs Steven Parker

The New Wave vs The Keith Dynasty

Troy Tornado vs Joey Minnesotta

RDJ vs Tommy Cornell: The Final Battle

What is "The Final Battle" storyline? Well, my idea is to put over RDJ over Cornell and have him go after Hawkins for the belt. This will lead to The Syndicate turning on Cornell as Hawkins takes over the group. Hawkins will get rid of all the old talent (they already dumped John Anderson, so Brent Hill is next) except Sam Keith who will work as a manager of sorts. With Rick Law, Joey Minnesotta, Hawkins, The Keith Dynasty and I will soon add Sammy Bach.

Cornell will feud against his former mates and it will lead to "The Dream Team", "The Unlikely Duo" of RDJ and Cornell vs Hawkins and ???? (maybe Law or Bach) in a Steel Cell Match.

Keith is one of those guys I never know what to do with. Maybe if I didn't stubbornly refuse to hire his kids he'd be better off.

My main trouble with TCW is the glut of potential stars in their Upper-to-Lower Midcard. I'm spoiled for choice, in a bad way. A way that makes booking a jumbled and confusing mess, with potential future main events or PPV matches given away for free for no reason. The only way I've found to keep things in order is to set up 5-man mini-leagues to keep guys occupied. Over three months, the 5 guys all fight each other a bunch of times in various combinations, and at the end, the winner is the new number one contender, and the loser gets kicked down to developmental or fired.

i'm on my first game, TCW, mid-march 2011

it was a slow go at the beginning because of the great top talent, but poor everything else....i hit international and then global pretty quick and the rise in costs for everything are kind of brutal on me now as i was unprepared in both cases.

i've been bringing in anyone from SWF with popularity or talent in the hopes of crushing them. pretty much all of them have been sent to development to improve becase they all suck at anything other than rumble.

i brought in a ton of new talent and put a bunch of pet projects in dev also. i created my own dev company, Glory Demands Sacrafice, and used the Grey Dog Software (GDS) logo.

i love tag teams, so i have nearly 20 tag teams and i've also kind of created a stable war situation.....

The Keith Dynasty - Sam, Greg, Matthew, and their bodyguard Bruce The Giant.........they are fueding with The Golden Kobras - Rocky Golden & Koshiro Ino

The New Alliance - Chris Morisette (Lobster Warrior), Sammy Bach, and Benny Benson........fueding with.......

Tornado & The Upstarts - Troy Tornado and Steven Parker & Davis Wayne Newton (The Upstarts).....Troy attacked Bach and Benson after the two had a match and joined with The Upstarts.....Troy and Bach had been a team prior to that, but Bach was basically a lackey as Troy was the champ at the time......

The Modern Day Warriors - Ricky Dale Johnson, Joey Minnesota, Jack Avatar, and KC Murder (KC Glenn).....fueding with The Syndicate (Wolf & Cornell)

Total Mayhem is a few weeks away and the card is shaping up like this....

Minnesota © v. Tommy Cornell - TCW World Title

Wolf Hawkins v. RDJ - Respect Match

Troy Tornado & ???? v. Chris Morisette & ????

Alliance of Revenge (Bach & Benson) v. The Upstarts (DWN & Parker) © - TCW Tag Titles - Revenge Match

The Keith Dynasty (Sam Keith & Bruce) v. Southern Battle Saints (Avatar & KC Murder) - Bounty Match (paid for by the Syndicate)

The Keith Boys (Matthew & Greg) v. The Golden Kobras (Ino & Rocky) - Cage Match

Rick Law © v. Jeremy Stone - International Title

Arthur Reed © v. Mexican Bullet (El Heroe Del Mexico) - All Action Title

plus some undercard singles and tag matches......

Tornado's partner will be Vengence, while Morisette has called in a buddy from the past to help out....Christian Faith!!

The strange thing for me is that I have grown to dislike TCW after each incarnation of the game. The first time I bought a game in this series was TEW07 and TCW was by far and away my favorite promotion.

When 08 came out, it was still a good promotion to play as but I grew to slowly dislike it because I kept on falling down to Cult.

In 10, I have come to despise it. I love the roster but I hate how the product was changed. There are other stuff that I hate about the promotion but I will leave my rants out of the thread.:D

I've been playing TCW for while... does Benny Benson just seem to fail with anyone else?

He's a guy I've struggled with a bit creatively. Being an ex-tag team guy I've tried to keep him away from teams, which limits him. I put him in the All Action division as a way to elevate the belt, and got a good 3 months out of him feuding with Edd Stone & Sammy Bach... but since El Leon took the strap I'm at a loss what to do with him. He doesn't quite have the skills (in-ring or promo) to be an easy top guy, and the picture is hard to take seriously.

Fingers crossed Groucho Bling's contract comes up soon and Cornell's willing to open his wallet.

Archived