NWA 1989: Tradition To Innovation

We had several people get 10/10 to start off this prediction contest. Congratulations to Greg McNeish, Lexa90, Ritchardo, smurphy1014 and jhd1!

Leader

1. Greg McNeish=10 Wins

Lexa90=10 Wins

Ritchardo=10 Wins

smurphy1014=10 Wins

jhd1=10 Wins

6. Beejus=9 Wins

Oldschool=9 Wins

rvdjrv2002=9 Wins

9. BHK1978=8 Wins

Zergon=8 Wins

edisraw=8 Wins

olympia=8 Wins

Thanks again to everyone who's predicted so far! The predictions and comments really do help make this diary fun and worthwhile!

And a special thank you to all of the real world picture cutters and designers. They really do help each and every diary look that much more authentic!

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NWA POWER HOUR*

Friday Week 2 January 1990

Heels Always Listed First

Rip Rogers vs. Eddie Gilbert

NWA World Television Title Match: The Great Muta defends vs. Jason Knight

Diamond Studd vs. Steve Austin

The Iron Sheik vs. Dan Spivey

Barry Windham vs. Flyin' Brian

*NOTE: NWA Power Hour predictions WILL count toward the prediction contest. However, it will not be given a full writeup as it is a B-Show.

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING

Saturday Week 2 January 1990

Lex Luger and Barry Windham vs. Steve Austin and Flyin' Brian

Rip Rogers vs. Paul Orndorff

The Iron Sheik vs. The Gravedigger

Mike Rotundo vs. Jason Knight

Dick Slater and Dick Murdoch vs. The Rock 'N' Roll Express

Terry Funk vs. Eddie Gilbert

Non Title: Ric Flair vs. Z-Man

NWA POWER HOUR

Eddie's being set up for a major program

Muta will continue to be a dominant TV champ

This guy, who looks familair and beat Brian Pillman, he should have no problem with this Austin guy

Sheik should be hanging them up soon... He cant buy a win

Windham is a memeber of the 4 horsemen and Pillman just lost to the Diamond Studd

Your next World tag Team Champs beat this team of Pillman and Austin that seem to have some potential

Squash

Again, the Sheik needs to hang them up

Jason Knight = biggest jobber in WCW

RnR need to get back on track and can do so against the Dick's... (I love this team BTW)

I say Eddie gets a win, building twards a match with Flair

Should be a good match, as Z-Man has won over some momentum, but falls to Flair

Wow, finally all caught up here! Hats off to ya Angel, this is great. Awesome Starrcade as well, def better than that point system **** they used in real life that year. lol.

He's gunnin' for Ric.

Squash.

Ah, nice job here. I kinda wish this match opened the big show. Far too early though, for Austin.

Spivey has to stay strong for Sid. Powerbomb match? :D

Though I'd love to see Pillman get the rub here.

You should bring back the United States Tag Team titles, to help catapult Austin and Pillman :cool:

Who the hell is Rip Rogers? lol.

Another awesome decision on your part. I can see him being the guy to take the US Title off Steamboat in the distant . . . yet not so distant future.

Rotundo vs Ricky should be a classic.

Though it'd be cooler if it was The Rockers :p

Eddie gets his revenge here, and challenges Ric at the Clash.

Should be an awesome match. Flair always worked well during this time with guys like The Z-Man, Pillman, Gilbert, etc.

Who the hell is Rip Rogers? lol.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

That guy.

[B]The Iron Sheik vs. Dan Spivey

Spivey having his troubles with Big Sid and that should explode here. Sheik will humble him and get a needed win thanks to the interference.

*NOTE: NWA Power Hour predictions WILL count toward the prediction contest. However, it will not be given a full writeup as it is a B-Show.

Quote:

Is Eddie Gilbert getting built for a Ric Flair program? That hurts my brain.

Muta continues to pile on the defenses. He must be doing wonders for the title prestige.

Austin is but a wee pup, at this point. He's still a ways off from doing anything noteworthy.

Dan Spivey got the babyface turn? I'm not sure how I should feel about that.

This Horseman grounds Flyin' Brian.

It's the Hollywood Blondes! Yay! Have fun getting hit by the freight train, boys.

Mr. Wonderful seems a logical candidate to take on Sting at CotC. Regardless, nobody is in danger against Rip Rogers.

Making his WCW debut. I'm very intrigued how you'll write up his matches, mixing elements of his Undertaker stuff, with your own creations. His debut push is hitting another gear, now.

Rotundo vs. Steamboat is an amazing match-up. It's a battle of who can fall down better. :p Seriously, Rotundo's heel bumping was always fantastic, and Steamboat is obviously one of the all-time great sellers.

The standard "nobody cares about any of these guys" match, that's always so difficult to predict. I figure that if you had plans for the Dirty Dicks, you wouldn't have had them take that clean loss to the champs, last week. Not sure what you're planning for the RnRs, but I wouldn't be surprised if they become the filler program for Windham/Luger, when the Road Warriors take on the Steiners, which can only be so far away.

Time for Hotstuff to get the big put-over. He's got a rocket strapped to his back, moving from Funk to Flair. Let's see if he can handle the big time.

Although having the match non-title plants a seed of doubt, Ric Flair is the Nature Boy, man. He's not lying down for a hundred Zed-Men, let alone one.

NWA POWER HOUR

From last week's set-up it seems that Eddie is heading towards a date with the Nature Boy, Rip's not going to stand in his way.

Here's hoping Jason can put on as good a match as last time! He's still eating the pin though.

From what we've seen of these two youngsters I reckon both men could be involved in a semi-main event at Wrestlemania in about 14 years... ;p Studd's being built up, Austin's a jobber at the minute. Might be time to pair him up with another guy who's been dropped to jobber level for mis-demeanours...

I backed the wrong turn, interesting to see what you can do with Spivey on his own.

Pillman's punishment to continue. Maybe he needs to get out of the singles ranks for a while...

Funilly enough! Hopefully Austin and Pillman can turn it around but Luger/Windham are being built for The Steiners.

Not sure where Paul is headed but it's certainly further than Rip

Promotion to the A-show for The Gravedigger and the streak to continue.

A non-title shot for Rotundo? lol Mike's gunning for Ricky.

Toughest call of the night. I'm still working on the basis that there's a lack of heel teams at the top. That and Dick Murdoch is all shades of awesome. More hope than expectation I guess!

Now that the J-Tex Corp have been trumped as the dominant heel force in the company, it might be time for Terry to take the turn. Gilbert to win and earn Funk's respect. A Funk/Cactus programme would be sweet.

Forgot about Z-Man! No chance in hell.

NWA POWER HOUR*

Gilbert seems to be involved with Flair

Knight is a jobber

Austin is still noob

Interesting to see how Spivey does now that Sid dumped him

Brian jobs he´s way down the card

Luger and Windham are too much for Brian & Austin right now

Rogers isn´t going to win this one

Gravedigger continues his winning ways

Jobber

I go with named team

If Gilbert is going to get involved with Flair he needs to win here

I don´t see how Flair could loose this one

NWA POWER HOUR*

Quote:

Luger and Windham look strong.

Rip doesn't win many.

Gravedigger keeps looking good.

Rotundo in a short one.

The pair of dicks seem like the tag job guys.

I agree with everyone else, if Eddie is going on to Flair, he needs to look good here.

Non-title usually means the champion loses, but I just can't see Flair losing to the Z-Man.

As I stated within my USPW diary, I have made the decision to bring my two diaries to a close, to an end. This has been a difficult decision for me to make though not as difficult as I thought it would be. This diary has run for nearly 4 real months and has most likely been my most successful real world diary. I am very much burned out from diary writing right now. I feel like writing less and less and when this starts being more work than fun then I know it's time to step away.

For those of you who have never written a diary before, it can take up a ton of time and a ton of time within your mind and writing two diaries takes up double the time. I will admit that when I go to bed at night I lay up at times thinking about the diary and the storylines that I am making. People often talked about the speed with which I write the shows. That's because the diary takes up just about all of my free time, which is a lot since I am unemployed right now.

So, what I am saying is that I am bringing this diary and my USPW diary to a close. I am stepping away from the diary scene for an undetermined amount of time. When/If I come back, I am planning on starting fresh within the diary scene. Whether it's real world or cornellverse I cannot be sure.

I would like to give out my thanks to everyone who has predicted within this diary and who has made comments as well. It is your comments that have steered this diary in certain directions that I never even thought of.

I would also like to give thanks to people who have followed and predicted in both of my diaries: BHK1978, jhd1, Lexa90 and smurphy1014.

I would like to thank anyone and everyone who has posted or even just read this diary. You are all a constant source of inspiration for me.

And just a big thank you to everyone who voted for this diary for Real World Diary of the Month and Rookie Diary of the Month during the months that I won.

As I stated within my USPW diary, I have made the decision to bring my two diaries to a close, to an end. This has been a difficult decision for me to make though not as difficult as I thought it would be. This diary has run for nearly 4 real months and has most likely been my most successful real world diary. I am very much burned out from diary writing right now. I feel like writing less and less and when this starts being more work than fun then I know it's time to step away.

For those of you who have never written a diary before, it can take up a ton of time and a ton of time within your mind and writing two diaries takes up double the time. I will admit that when I go to bed at night I lay up at times thinking about the diary and the storylines that I am making. People often talked about the speed with which I write the shows. That's because the diary takes up just about all of my free time, which is a lot since I am unemployed right now.

So, what I am saying is that I am bringing this diary and my USPW diary to a close. I am stepping away from the diary scene for an undetermined amount of time. When/If I come back, I am planning on starting fresh within the diary scene. Whether it's real world or cornellverse I cannot be sure.

I would like to give out my thanks to everyone who has predicted within this diary and who has made comments as well. It is your comments that have steered this diary in certain directions that I never even thought of.

I would also like to give thanks to people who have followed and predicted in both of my diaries: BHK1978, jhd1, Lexa90 and smurphy1014.

I would like to thank anyone and everyone who has posted or even just read this diary. You are all a constant source of inspiration for me.

And just a big thank you to everyone who voted for this diary for Real World Diary of the Month and Rookie Diary of the Month during the months that I won.

Sorry to see it go but can completely see where you are coming from - my own diary took up a hell of a lot of time when it was running and I have only admiration for you in being able to run two consecutively for any length of time let alone for the period that you have done.

Full credit and kudos to you for inspring me to put my AWA diary out there in the first place.

I'm relaunching mine this week by finally posting that damned show from Texas which I believe was responsible for my hard drive crash (probably not... but it felt like it!) and I hope that even if you're not writing your own diaries for a while that you feel you can stick around and post guesses and comments in others work. I, for one, really appreciate the sound advice and booking logic that you have imparted in your guesses on my shows!

I'll be sure to get in on the ground floor for your next project - you might even be able to persuade me to give this new fangled C-verse thing a go!

Thanks again.

I'm really sorry to hear this. as a follower from loong back. I have always loved your diaries and I have specially loved what you have done with USPW.

I was always afraid that you would burn out from writing in that pace.

But thank you Angel for bringing so much entertainment to these boards.

You can also be credited for being the only diary writer I have followed for the last couple of months, because of my own busy schedule.

But thank you once again for multiple amazing diaries... And I really hope you can come back to writing one of these days :)

Sorry to see it go but can completely see where you are coming from - my own diary took up a hell of a lot of time when it was running and I have only admiration for you in being able to run two consecutively for any length of time let alone for the period that you have done.

Full credit and kudos to you for inspring me to put my AWA diary out there in the first place.

I'm relaunching mine this week by finally posting that damned show from Texas which I believe was responsible for my hard drive crash (probably not... but it felt like it!) and I hope that even if you're not writing your own diaries for a while that you feel you can stick around and post guesses and comments in others work. I, for one, really appreciate the sound advice and booking logic that you have imparted in your guesses on my shows!

I'll be sure to get in on the ground floor for your next project - you might even be able to persuade me to give this new fangled C-verse thing a go!

Thanks again.

I'm really sorry to hear this. as a follower from loong back. I have always loved your diaries and I have specially loved what you have done with USPW.

I was always afraid that you would burn out from writing in that pace.

But thank you Angel for bringing so much entertainment to these boards.

You can also be credited for being the only diary writer I have followed for the last couple of months, because of my own busy schedule.

But thank you once again for multiple amazing diaries... And I really hope you can come back to writing one of these days :)

Thank you for a wonderful journey, angeldayelette. It's been a slice.

Now hit the showers, slugger. See you next go-round.

Cheers!

Thanks for the comments! You guys were all major contributers here to this diary and as I said before, you had me thinking in ways that I didn't think about myself.

As with my USPW diary, I will be doing a writeup soon of any future plans I had with this diary.

Thanks for the ride man, this was an awesome diary and as much as I wish it could go on. . . I understand your point completely.

You're talking to a guy who's written about ten shows in eight diaries lol. But I admire what you did here, you took chances and did a great job replicating this time period.

Not to mention, the Sting heel turn at Havoc (which as I stated, was the perfect time to turn him) will forever be etched in my head now as one of the big time 'what ifs' in the world of professional wrestling.

Cheers my friend, and best of luck in your future endeavors.

OK, well that sucks because I just started getting into this diary....THAT BEING SAID for those NWA fans out there now I feel a lot more comfortable posting my diary...but it might be a little different im gonna do a little poll, and the winner will be my fresh new diary, hopefully it can stand up to the awesomeness Angel has brought us.

Archived