Questions on the call in ring road agent note

Guest codey
When do ya'll usually use the note? I know it's only good with high-psychology wrestlers, but is there a certain point that it actually becomes effective? I ask, because I have Sean Deeley and KC Glenn who each have psychology values of 84 and 81, respectively, and, while I'm sure that they'll be able to put on a great match with the note, I'm not sure if they'll do better than if I used Rip Chord's plan, as his psychology is 100.

Despite normally having super road agents (like Rip), I figure that as soon as the boys are good enough to call the match without it falling apart, I let them do their thing. My cut-offs are B- for anything <10 minutes, and B for anything 11 and up. For 5 minute matches, I usually leave it blank, unless there's nobody with more than about a C-.

I imagine that's not the best way to do it, but that's how I do it. It saves me having to think too much about it.

Despite normally having super road agents (like Rip), I figure that as soon as the boys are good enough to call the match without it falling apart, I let them do their thing. My cut-offs are B- for anything <10 minutes, and B for anything 11 and up. For 5 minute matches, I usually leave it blank, unless there's nobody with more than about a C-.

I imagine that's not the best way to do it, but that's how I do it. It saves me having to think too much about it.

That's almost exactly how I do it, though without the B limit...though I think its probably the way to go.

Actually, I don't disagree. Anyone with less than a B- in Psychology shouldn't be really calling a match in-ring. I usually reserve call in-ring with at least one wrestler that have B+ psychology, or if I'm confident, two workers with B psychology. B- is fine, but that's for shorter matches.

I'll agree with everyone here. Having someone call it in the ring without B- in psychology could be a disaster. I've had Jay Chord calling it in the ring since he had a 78 - he's at 80 now. There aren't many people who can carry an entire match by themselves but Jay has ended up being one of those guys in my WCW (formerly MAW) game who can.

These are the people who have 80 or above psychology in my current game (July 2019): American Patriot, Bruce The Giant, Cameron Vessey, Ernest Youngman, Gidayu Katou, John Anderson, Kevin Christopher (KC Glenn), Matt Gauge, and Jay Chord.

Over the years I've brought in a ton of skilled in-ring workers (having John Anderson has been very helpful, the guy is extremely talented) to help bring along the younger talent. Being in 2019 is pretty crazy because Jay is almost 30 years old, Patriot is 36, Bruce is 48, and my youngest great worker is Gidayu Katou who I stole from Japan (he's 23). He's already gained 'passable English' after just two months of being backstage at both weekly TV shows. I'm sure it helps that I have Haruki Kudo as a road agent and his Japanese-English has rubbed off on him.

A disaster? With C+ psychology?!

Madness.

I've had PLENTY of workers with C+ psychology call the match in-ring, for 20+ minutes, and never ran into a problem. Heck, some guys on the verge of C+ (64%ish) can pull it off.

Example: I just had Shawn Gonzalez, who only has C+ psych, call a match in-ring against Demon Anger (lol). It was only 16 minutes, on account that Demon Anger's hip can only absorb stress for that long before threatening to snap, but they pulled it off perfectly with no issues regarding psychology.

But you're not risking a "disaster" if you book a guy wiht C+ psychology to call a match in-ring.

A disaster? With C+ psychology?!

Madness.

I've had PLENTY of workers with C+ psychology call the match in-ring, for 20+ minutes, and never ran into a problem. Heck, some guys on the verge of C+ (64%ish) can pull it off.

Example: I just had Shawn Gonzalez, who only has C+ psych, call a match in-ring against Demon Anger (lol). It was only 16 minutes, on account that Demon Anger's hip can only absorb stress for that long before threatening to snap, but they pulled it off perfectly with no issues regarding psychology.

But you're not risking a "disaster" if you book a guy wiht C+ psychology to call a match in-ring.

"Could be a disaster" is what I said. Everyone on here will have different products and that changes how things turn out. I've ran into problems with a C+ calling it in the ring with someone with a C and the match suffered. I still think that 'calling it in the ring' is for the best of the best.

I would love to see who your "plenty of workers" are, who they faced and what the ratings were. Your Gonzalez (70% psychology) vs Anger (76%) example - what was the rating?

I've ran into multiple "worker A shouldn't have been involved with a match being called in the ring" when they're put together with a worker who should be able to carry them.

Like I said though... I think it comes down to what your product is like.

I find the bigger you get, the more nitpicky the notes are.

Bingo! People are paying more to see your show, so they expect everything to be more professional than some indy show in a bingo hall. If I paid $10 to sit in a sweat box, I'm not going to get overly critical of the dudes wrestling for peanuts. When I shell out $60 for a big league production, I expect everything to be top notch.

In my experience C+ and up is safe. C is occasionally worth the risk but only if it's high and there's a C+ and up in the ring with them. Script if there's only one guy with C+ up in the match and the other guy's middle C and down.

I've gotten negative road agent notes about Psychology on some of my best matches, so it isn't always a huge factor. I find the bigger you get, the more nitpicky the notes are.

I agree with you. I think it compares the workers pyschology to the match rating and adds in a fair dash of randomness. My cut off is around 66 which is low C+ I believe. If you ask someone with less pyschology to call in the ring then you'll get a road agent pop telling you it wasn't such a good idea.

You can still get notes for bad pyschology no matter how good your road agent is if it's scripted, once your matches are getting rated around B and over. The game seems more fussy about someone's pyschology as opposed to their selling where you have to have some really bad selling (relative to general ability) to get the note.

Based on my games, I don't have anybody call a match in ring with less than B- psychology (as seems to be typical). However, I also don't use the note if anyone in the match has less than a C in psychology as you'll get the note that they shouldn't be in a match that is being called in ring.

So those are my parameters. If the match is between somebody with at least a B- in psych going against somebody with at least a C in psych, I'll use the note. But if either of those criteria isn't met, then I don't use the note.

And @ Comradebot, I've scripted a match between Gonzalez and Singh with FCW and gotten the note that the match suffered from the lack of psychology, and they both have C+. Hardly a disaster (as the match yeilded a B- rating, which is actually a huge success for FCW), but the note is still there. The question becomes how important the note actually is to the match rating...

I agree with you. I think it compares the workers pyschology to the match rating and adds in a fair dash of randomness. My cut off is around 66 which is low C+ I believe. If you ask someone with less pyschology to call in the ring then you'll get a road agent pop telling you it wasn't such a good idea.

There is definitely a random factor involved with some of the skills relating to match ratings. I recently had Steve Smith, who is at B+ announcing for my regional promotion, get a "poor announcing hurt the match" road agent note for a pre-show dark match. That's the only negative note I've ever gotten about him, and it seems it was just an oddball occurrence.

It's often overlooked, but the Consistency stat factors into every single thing that every one of your workers does. Everybody has an off-night, every now and then.

That's why, to be safe, I stick to only people with B- and up calling their own matches. That's both wrestlers in a singles match, and at least one on each team of a multi-man match. Even on an off night, someone with great Psychology will only be reduced as far as passable.

I think the Consistency stat also determines how far off they are sometimes.

I have gotten my inconsistency notes with workers having B+ Consistency, but it doesn't seem to always have any noticeable effect on the match.

That being said, there aren't that many (though are some) workers that have more psychology than consistency.

Archived