The Video Game Thread

Genadi

Why (If you do) take the time to learn the combos when you can achieve great deeds by button mashing.

Because, while you can beat the CPU on most difficulties by button mashing, other players learn ways to counter most attacks. Liu Kang in particular, is a really good character against button mashers. Also, Scorpion (who I'm assuming you used) is very much a beginner-friendly character who's good at all ranges. Try playing as a ranged attacker like Ermac and you'll see the difference. Difficulty changes are also much more notable in fighting games, fighters you can absolutely destroy on Easy can kill you on Medium. That's not even getting into the bosses.

And as for my opinion on MKX, it's definitely a slower-paced fighter than 9, I've had little to no trouble chaining combos and specials (especially with Mileena). Personally, I like the new pace, feels like Netherrealm realized that there were people like me who enjoyed Deadly Alliance and Deception and worked to mix those two in with 9 to create X. I especially enjoy that I'm not frantically mashing buttons, hoping for something magic to happen while I'm being combo'd into oblivion as often. The story is also good, especially for a fighting game. They did a great job with new cast, each of the new generation kombatants feel like their own characters, rather than lazy clones of others. I'm also very impressed that they managed to take the underwhelming MK4's story and lackluster big bad and turn both into strong aspects of a great game. Shinnok's still no Shang Tsung or Shao Kahn, but he's a lot more menacing now.

So yeah, I think people should buy it.

Jumping on the MKX bandwagon - PC for me, don't talk about the launch - and I'm enjoying it a hell of a lot more than MK9.

The new characters are great, not too big a fan of Kotal Kahn & Ferro/Torr myself. I'm maining Outlaw Erron Black just now, the sand throw is fantastic for starting up combos.

And the story. Sweet jesus, that story is fantastic. Goosebumps by the end of it.

...as in going into MK I only knew ONE character, that being Scorpion... I see there's a story, so I'll probably do that. But otherwise, ya, it's pretty good in my opinion.

You should rent and play the story mode of MK(9) first - they rebooted the story with that one, so it would be the ideal start point, whereas MKX's story relies on a lot of the stuff that happened in 9, and might seem confusing or just not have as much impact otherwise.

So.. Got GTA5 for the third time on XB1. Anyone else playing it on there

Avoided it and any spoilers like the plague since it first came out on PS3 and Xbox 360 because I was waiting a loooooooong time for the PC version, and luckily I was given it on PC this week.

I know most people think San Andreas is the best GTA game, but for myself who has played them all since the beginning I have to say GTA 5 > Vice City (and I absolutely love Vice City) > GTA San Andreas > GTA IV (because of the expansions) > GTA III > GTA London (technically an expansion I know) > GTA > GTA 2.

It's unlikely to happen but I hope the next GTA is set on the shores of the UK, whether it's in modern times or not. GTA London 1969 would've been higher on my list had it been using any of the engines from GTA III onwards but obviously it was impossible at the time it was released.

Avoided it and any spoilers like the plague since it first came out on PS3 and Xbox 360 because I was waiting a loooooooong time for the PC version, and luckily I was given it on PC this week.

I know most people think San Andreas is the best GTA game, but for myself who has played them all since the beginning I have to say GTA 5 > Vice City (and I absolutely love Vice City) > GTA San Andreas > GTA IV (because of the expansions) > GTA III > GTA London (technically an expansion I know) > GTA > GTA 2.

It's unlikely to happen but I hope the next GTA is set on the shores of the UK, whether it's in modern times or not. GTA London 1969 would've been higher on my list had it been using any of the engines from GTA III onwards but obviously it was impossible at the time it was released.

A GTA set in an East London inspired setting, with its rich history of criminal gangs, could be a very enjoyable game. So long as they don't get Danny Dyer to do any voice overs. :rolleyes:

A GTA set in an East London inspired setting, with its rich history of criminal gangs, could be a very enjoyable game. So long as they don't get Danny Dyer to do any voice overs. :rolleyes:

Given the number of recurring characters across GTA games, an East London game would probably involve Kent Paul.

Given the number of recurring characters across GTA games, an East London game would probably involve Kent Paul.

Damn, I genuinely did not know he already voiced a character. This both surprises and upsets me at the same time.

Nah man, get Danny Dyer to voice every character. Instant best-seller. :p

There'd be an influx of EastEnders fans suddenly being big GTA fans :p

EDIT: Also, WWE 2K15 is coming to PC (Windows only, from what I can tell): http://www.wwe.com/inside/2k/wwe-2k15/wwe-2k15-windows-pc-announcement-this-spring-27315901

I'm thrilled for a WWE PC game. Its been far too long. The mods that will be made for this game will be insane. My PC runs some pretty intense games (Sims, WoW, NASCAR, other 2K games like MLB) fairly well, so it shouldn't be an issue. Hoping it comes out within the next few weeks since Spring is here.

I doubt my computer would be able to run it, but this is the first WWE game on PC in like what, 13-14 years?

The last one was WWE/F RAW I think, which was sometime around 2001-2002(?).

I'm thrilled for a WWE PC game. Its been far too long. The mods that will be made for this game will be insane. My PC runs some pretty intense games (Sims, WoW, NASCAR, other 2K games like MLB) fairly well, so it shouldn't be an issue. Hoping it comes out within the next few weeks since Spring is here.

In the article on WWE.com it says it'll be available within weeks. I wanted this game but only recently got a PS4 (as a free gift with a phone contract :p) as I do 99% of my gaming on my PC. I'm excited to finally get this, now.

True, but the base game seems more of the same crappy, fixed animations. It was loads of fun for HCTP, but we've kinda grown past that (or just play HCTP some more). I'll pass.

And the result of relying entirely on a physics engine:

Do you really think Yuke's wouldn't just make something even worse than that if they didn't use canned animations? Match-wise, 2K15 is probably the smoothest wrestling game in a decade. The dearth of features just kill its replay value.

So i've gotten back into Prison Architect recently and just received my first Legendary prisoner

Christopher Ward. Only 20 but sentenced to 94 years in jail for a combination of murders, GBH, aggravated assault, assaulting a police officer and perjury.

He was in my jail for 3 hours....

I'll give WWE 2K15 on PC a miss. I don't expect their first attempt at a port will be that good so I'll wait for 2K16. I don't have a console but I've heard it's a pretty average game and they force you to buy a bunch of DLCs just to unlock players (including Paige who was Divas champ). Imagine if EA Sports held back their some of the best youth players on FIFA for DLC. The backlash would be insane.

I'll give WWE 2K15 on PC a miss. I don't expect their first attempt at a port will be that good so I'll wait for 2K16. I don't have a console but I've heard it's a pretty average game and they force you to buy a bunch of DLCs just to unlock players (including Paige who was Divas champ). Imagine if EA Sports held back their some of the best youth players on FIFA for DLC. The backlash would be insane.

Actually, all the DLC is included with the PC version and it's priced at $45 until the launch sale is done, then it just goes up to $50. If anything, they're doing their best to screw over console players. Plus 2K's usually pretty good with their PC ports, at least with the NBA series. As long as Yuke's didn't handle the porting job, it should be fine.