The Video Game Thread

Genadi

Is there any shooter (first or third person) games that are free to play that anyone would recommend for PC? I'm just looking for something that I can pick up and play as and when I have time or in between playing other games, really.

You know, when I just need to spend 30 mins kicking someone's ass (or more likely getting my own ass kicked)!

There's a new (and free I think) Unreal Tournament game if you can track down the beta.

There's a new (and free I think) Unreal Tournament game if you can track down the beta.

As far as I can tell, it's just free for public testing. The full version will probably be the usual $60. But Cliffy B's stench is nowhere to be found, so we might get one as good as 2004.

(Seriously, UT3 sucked. Who the hell wants a story from Unreal Tournament?)

Is there any shooter (first or third person) games that are free to play that anyone would recommend for PC? I'm just looking for something that I can pick up and play as and when I have time or in between playing other games, really.

You know, when I just need to spend 30 mins kicking someone's ass (or more likely getting my own ass kicked)!

If you're looking for something a little less serious, Loadout is well worth a look.

After playing Watch Dogs some more, I've come to the conclusion that my initial reaction to the game was a bit harsh. Driving is still horrendous and some of the worst I've ever dealt with in a major game, but traveling by foot and combat are better than my initial thoughts. Story seems pretty fun.

Wolfenstein: The New Order on the other hand I just can't even get it into.

I have a question: I just got a PS4 and I'm just wondering how backwards compatible it is. I have a ton of PS2 games that I'm hoping I'll be able to play at some point in the future, but I haven't seen a quite conclusive answer after a Google search.

The PS4 isn't backwards compatible at all. There are rumors that it might have PS1 and PS2 compatibility someday at some point, but I doubt it. To be honest, you're better off just buying a PS2 off of Amazon.

The PS4 isn't backwards compatible at all. There are rumors that it might have PS1 and PS2 compatibility someday at some point, but I doubt it. To be honest, you're better off just buying a PS2 off of Amazon.

If by "compatibility" you mean they're offering you the chance to pay for their old games on streaming service it's already up on PS4. But those old discs arent going to work on PS4 now or ever.

Nope. Consoles like the current generation (360/ps3) are way too powerful to be emulated on the new generation. You need a lot more cpu speed to accomplish that, so it will never happen (though it might in the distant future). For the old games (until ps2) we have emulators on windows, but I'm afraid it will stop there. From now on - if we want to play all of our games - we'll need to keep the consoles and prey they'll continue to function.

Nope. Consoles like the current generation (360/ps3) are way too powerful to be emulated on the new generation. You need a lot more cpu speed to accomplish that, so it will never happen (though it might in the distant future). For the old games (until ps2) we have emulators on windows, but I'm afraid it will stop there. From now on - if we want to play all of our games - we'll need to keep the consoles and prey they'll continue to function.

This is why I never sell/trade in a console. In my loft I must have over a dozen consoles/handhelds that aren't used, but I know the day I get rid of one will be the day that I want to play a particular game on it... and I won't be able too.

Thanks for the info guys! No worries, the only reason I stopped playing those games is because my PS2 broke and I just never got around to getting rid of my games. I didn't buy the PS4 for its backwards compatibility, I just figured I might as well look around to see if I could still get any use out of my games.

I don't even mind re-buying some of them on the PS4 because some of my discs are super scratched. I really only want to play Final Fantasy X and Kingdom Hearts anyway.

I finished up The Walking Dead Season 2. Good game, but not as great as the first. The first 3 episodes were pretty strong, but the 4. was borderline horrible - and the 5. never really raised itself above mediocracy; most of the 5. episode, I wished the game was a shooter so I could kill most of the annoying people around me. Never really connected with the characters from this game in the same way as I did in the first, with a few exceptions. The last big action piece was pretty thrilling and well-written though, and I did like that there were so many different endings (and after seeing the alternatives I'm really happy about the choice I made).

I think the PS4 and Xbox One will have a virtual console similar to the Wii and Wii U. Of course they'll make you re-buy the games you once owned (at a reduced price I'm sure). I'm not too upset about getting rid of my old consoles because I have a hard time of going back to games after I beat them or play it for so long. I remember way too much, so those older games become repetitive because I remember everything that happened.

Watch Dogs was an excellent game. I bought it the day it came out for my 360 and I played it nonstop until beating the story. I thought the overall game was excellent (never once did I compare it to the GTA series either, because it isn't the same at all). The only comparison is that it's an open-world game... the comparisons end there though. I think that game was very creative and had a lot of extra side missions.

I loved WD so much that I'll be buying a used copy for my Xbox One pretty soon.

It's a great game. I may be addicted :eek:
Madden 15 update

Started a Connected Career as a DT for the New York Giants. During preseason, coach got me out there for a few downs here and there, giving me chance to get used to the team.

However come regular season, I see entire games pass me by. The game taunts me by offering me a chance at picking a play and then laughing as I have to watch the CPU play it out.

Week 8 comes around and finally I'm on the pitch.. I dash out, grab the quarterback and...

Thats me underneath. Looks pretty painful.. Must have been as that was the last I played that game.

Week 9 comes around. I get 1 down and taken off.

Week 10.. I see another down...

The Giants are about 2 -8 right now and most games are massive blowouts.. They need to get me in playing soon, but since this season is pretty much over, i doubt there is much point... :(

I would like a mode where i can play as a player, retire, and carry the same character over into a coach/owner mode. I also have a dream of a decent player progression system in a franchise mode.

Playing the individual positional player careers never did much for me in Madden. I like it in Fifa, where I find the mode is more feature rich as well. Same in MLB the show. I find the game of football to not work out so well when playing an individual position. Unless you're the QB I guess.

Playing the individual positional player careers never did much for me in Madden. I like it in Fifa, where I find the mode is more feature rich as well. Same in MLB the show. I find the game of football to not work out so well when playing an individual position. Unless you're the QB I guess.

There's such a mode in FIFA these days?

There's such a mode in FIFA these days?

I don't know exactly how the new one will play out but last year's game offered you the choice of player, player/manager, or just manager. It was a lot of fun. One of the games a few years ago you could even play as individuals online. While it was often a laggy mess when it worked it was fun if you got a real 11 vs 11 going.