The Video Game Thread

Genadi

Yes.. We have said that about a LOT of other technology. Steam is only at his beginning. You will see in 5-10 years..

Um, what? Read my post again. The lack of the ability to re-sell a physical disc is offset by the fact that you are often paying a fraction of the cost for the right to play. I really don't care if Skynet takes over and all infrastructure is destroyed so I can't access my Steam purchases in 2035 when I'm incorporated into a hive mind and my organs are harvested.

Now, in the present world we live in, Steam is great and even if the worst-case happens, it's totally worthwhile now, pre-robo-pocalypse. I can buy a game that's still $25 or $50 at the store for $10 or less the way I did for Bioshock Infinite, Tomb Raider, etc., play them, and then not play them once I'm done with them, and still pay significantly less than I would pay to rent the game for a week or two.

Yeah, pay for game that you will never have. Steam is very great.. but you will never have the game really for you. if there is one day a problem, the game must be remove from the store, game over

Oh God, you're right! Someday I might just have work on my backlog of hundreds of console games, hundreds of on-disc PC games and hundreds of handheld games! The majority of which I was able to buy because Steam gave me digital PC games for cheap...oh right, that's the exact opposite of a problem.

You do realize that Newell is just joking shorthand for PC gaming these days right? And that I was just making a joke?

In 10-15 years how many of those games are you still gonna be playing?

Seriously You pay 30 bucks for a digital copy on steam, or 60 for a CD that scrathes, breaks, or gets lost, either way you're out money, atleast with a digital copy it's less cost.

Oh, plus if steam stops selling a game it won't be removed from your library, and I've had steam go down for afew hours and I've been able to play each one of my games...just sayin..

I'm with everyone else who has championed Steam (although I did once think of it as the evil empire), great titles and a monstrously huge selection at often stupidly cheap prices. When Skyrim was released (2011?) I bought it for less than half price on the Christmas/January Steam sales which was only a month or two after release.

(but Steam is evil in the sense that games are often so cheap that you buy multiple games and then never get around to playing them though)

If I was to create an indie video game then Steam would be the desired destination as it's got over 100 million user accounts. I'd probably even sell the game at £0.99 / $0.99 so that if even a tiny amount of those users bought it (and it's more likely to sell at such a cheap price) then i'd be making bank.

I still regularly play old games that, thankfully, are available on Steam or GOG.com to run on modern versions of Windows. In 1994/5 I was playing on my Sega Mega Drive (Genesis for those in the U.S.) thinking that was the pinnacle of gaming (cue the Super Nintendo fans :p) but then I was introduced to a friend via another friend, and upon spending an evening at his house playing games on his PC (I believe it was a 486 DX/2 66mhz but don't quote me) with the likes of DOOM and Command & Conquer, my mind was blown.

So, back to the point, I still play DOOM. Admittedly I now usually play it with the "Brutal mod" (look it up - it's fantastic), but it's still insanely fun even without the mod. Twenty-one years later and i'm still playing it. :eek:

I also still play my old consoles, the games of which go back over a decade or two.

Quoting this again because it touches on a point that hopefully I can't be the only one thinking: What is the point getting invested in or purchasing multiplayer-only games? You can play a game that you think is the greatest ever created, but once time has passed (or if it didn't get enough users in the first place) and the online servers have been shut down then you're left with what? A game you can't play. I don't understand why anyone would pay for a multiplayer only game or a game that was heavily focused on multiplayer.

In twenty years time, no-one is going to be playing Titanfall or whatever the current Call of Duty version is. But I, on the other hand, will still likely be playing DOOM. :cool:

I'm with everyone else who has championed Steam (although I did once think of it as the evil empire), great titles and a monstrously huge selection at often stupidly cheap prices. When Skyrim was released (2011?) I bought it for less than half price on the Christmas/January Steam sales which was only a month or two after release.

(but Steam is evil in the sense that games are often so cheap that you buy multiple games and then never get around to playing them though)

There's a site that gives you the stats on your Steam catalogue... The % of games that I own that I haven't played yet is pretty sad. I think I've played like 30% of my games... Humble Bundles have had a lot to do with that, though, as I buy them for 1 game a lot of the time.

Number of times I've had a steam game disappear, or haven't been able to play when I wanted to? Zero.

Number of times I've been unable to find a hard copy, encountered disc errors with obsolete technology, or otherwise been unable to enjoy something even though I had full ownership rights? More than zero.

About the only advantage I can think of is the ability to re-sell

Same here: more problems with disc version than with steam games. And if there's a problem, 95% chance the discussion room for the game has the answer. It's easy: computer specs aside, you equalize the odds for thousands of gamers. If it doesn't work, they'll know asap and will fix it or they'll riot.

And I totally get the restrictions on reselling. Due to the immense market, you'd be able to get AAA games from 2014 for 1$. It would kill the industry. Steam groups will form of 40 people buying the game for 1$ each and taking turns each day playing (though that might not work in practice).

Yeah, pay for game that you will never have. Steam is very great.. but you will never have the game really for you. if there is one day a problem, the game must be remove from the store, game over

That's not actually true. Even games that are removed from the store, you'll get to keep in your library if you already own it. I have plenty of those.

So having read some people here's thoughts on Cities Skylines I decided to buy it. I've not had a real good opportunity to get too in depth with it yet but it does seem like a game I'm going to thoroughly enjoy once I do get into it.

I can already tell it's better than most of the other city builders I've played just from the hour or so I have been able to play. Having it compatible with the Steam Workshop is also pretty cool.

There's a site that gives you the stats on your Steam catalogue... The % of games that I own that I haven't played yet is pretty sad. I think I've played like 30% of my games... Humble Bundles have had a lot to do with that, though, as I buy them for 1 game a lot of the time.

Pretty much the same here, 127 out of 427 = 30% rounded up. :p

Pretty much the same here, 127 out of 427 = 30% rounded up. :p

I tried looking for that site and ended up depressed;

152 games with a total value of £1473

Value with sales £485

Over the last 4 years, you've spent 744.2 hours playing this selection, which includes 152 items, is valued at $2363.71, and requires 593.6 GB

53 games unplayed

I tried looking for that site and ended up depressed;

152 games with a total value of £1473

Value with sales £485

Over the last 4 years, you've spent 744.2 hours playing this selection, which includes 152 items, is valued at $2363.71, and requires 593.6 GB

53 games unplayed

I just counted mine as I knew it'd be quicker to count the played rather than not played.

A quick look shows that the most played, other than Medieval II: Total War (because the time played counter was reset when they updated it, and I played of lot of the non-Steam version), are the Football Manager series:

2009 - 227hrs

2010 - 149hrs

2011 - 352hrs

2012 - 666hrs *dun dun durrrrnnn*

2013 - 563hrs

2014 - 290hrs

2015 - 213hrs (currently)

Ironically, they're the most played and yet they're the ones I never buy myself as I always get one for Christmas. :p

It's best not to think about the cost as it will likely depress you. I remember years ago when I did an estimate of how much just random partying cost me from the age of 17 to about 26, not only could I have finished buying my house a few years earlier than I did, I could've also put down a deposit on another house and rented it out. Ahhh, 20/20 hindsight...

I just counted mine as I knew it'd be quicker to count the played rather than not played.

A quick look shows that the most played, other than Medieval II: Total War (because the time played counter was reset when they updated it, and I played of lot of the non-Steam version), are the Football Manager series:

2009 - 227hrs

2010 - 149hrs

2011 - 352hrs

2012 - 666hrs *dun dun durrrrnnn*

2013 - 563hrs

2014 - 290hrs

2015 - 213hrs (currently)

Ironically, they're the most played and yet they're the ones I never buy myself as I always get one for Christmas. :p

It's best not to think about the cost as it will likely depress you. I remember years ago when I did an estimate of how much just random partying cost me from the age of 17 to about 26, not only could I have finished buying my house a few years earlier than I did, I could've also put down a deposit on another house and rented it out. Ahhh, 20/20 hindsight...

What site is that you're using. The one I found had none of that

I should've clarified (Ha! The irony of your username), those are the different iterations of Football Manager I own. That is per game, not per year.

FM 2013 is by far my most played game on Steam with 791 hours and FM 2012 is my second most with 540 hours, so I understand how much of a time sink the series is.

FM 2013 is by far my most played game on Steam with 791 hours and FM 2012 is my second most with 540 hours, so I understand how much of a time sink the series is.

Literally the only game a friend of mine plays on PC is Football Manager, the rest he plays are all console based. His hours for FM2012 and FM2014 are 1,438 and 1,428 respectively. Despite it only being March, he's already got 937hrs in on FM2015 so he's set to beat his record! :eek:

Football Manager's a game where you can easily play whilst also watching tv/a movie etc. so the hours can definitely fly by without you even realising it, same with any of the GDS games.

Only because Steam doesn't consider The Binding of Isaac and Rebirth the same game. :p

Combined I have about 1200 hours...:eek: That's a lot!!!!

What can I say I love games, now I'll admit some of my games that have 10-15 minutes are because I logged in to get the trading cards and let it run while I was doing other things, and i've not taken the time to actually play them...

Has anyone else tried the new Final Fantasy mmo? They have a 14 day free trial right now and i'm just starting day 2, and I've enjoyed it so far, just curious if anyoen else has tried.

I figured I'd interject here since the last couple pages is about Steam. What does everyone think of the steam machine coming out later this year? I'm sure everyone can agree the pricing is pretty ridiculous but it sounds like with a range of $480 to $5000 (as seen at this link) it depends on what kind of machine people want.

Personally, I think I'll wait until pricing goes down (IF it goes down) and maybe buy one that's used and still in good working condition. I'd love to play steam games on my TV but I have no technological capabilities with that at the moment.

Edit:

Only because Steam doesn't consider The Binding of Isaac and Rebirth the same game. :p

Even though they frustrate me at times, I do love both those games!

But... you've only got 37:

:p

Those are on steam, and I never uesed Steam till I moved to Ma almost 3 years ago. I've got games on the PS4, my phone, and my tablet, plus I like board games too...and so on, I love games of all types, plus I've about 15 non steam PC games.

I wouldn't call myself a "hardcore gamer" but I'd call myself a gamer none the less.

Literally the only game a friend of mine plays on PC is Football Manager, the rest he plays are all console based. His hours for FM2012 and FM2014 are 1,438 and 1,428 respectively. Despite it only being March, he's already got 937hrs in on FM2015 so he's set to beat his record! :eek:

Football Manager's a game where you can easily play whilst also watching tv/a movie etc. so the hours can definitely fly by without you even realising it, same with any of the GDS games.

I can understand that - I've gone through phases of only really playing FM (and CM before it!), and I suspect I've probably built up thousands upon thousands of hours of managerial experience over the last 18 or 19 years or so.

I definitely play a lot of games now which are easily played while watching TV or doing something else.