The Video Game Thread

Genadi

And I've brought this up before, but I'd like everyone's opinion on the matter: how do you guys respond to this (still relatively new) policy of content patches/expansions?

Adam constantly keeps his games updated with patches and this is great. Mostly they contain fixes, but occasionally there's new content included. In this case it's not worth waiting several months until the patches are available, but several games do.

CKII, for instance, just keeps churning out content. Obviously great that it happens, but sometimes I'd rather want them just combining the content into a 'new' game and sell it as some sort of CKII or ultimate edition. Fans look down on that, but this constant patching leads to some fans just taking a passive attitude and deciding to wait out for the 'final' version before playing. Combined with the trend of "constant sales" this will eventually lead to people no longer buying a game full-price unless they are desperate to play. Desperation should be tempered as good games become available for a couple of $'s while they wait for the 'new' ones to be finished and cheaper.

The worst is Skyrim user mods getting updated so you'd have to restart a new game. I used to spend weeks restarting until I actually took a look at some of the changelogs and found that it's not worth starting over for. Now I'm almost sick of the game and have yet to see about 50% of the total content (incl mods).

Today Age of Wonders III - which I just started playing this week - announces an expansion. Once again I'm left waiting for it, essentially quitting the game because you know the experience will be better in the long run. CKII has another expansion on the way.

It's kinda the same thing when I was 'updating' the custom renders for WMMA. You want to get the new one out asap so people can use it but it's sometimes better to wait and release it as a pack. This is not the same as there's no gameplay-change involved, but it's the same principle.

In reply to Blackman, specifically regarding Crusader Kings II,

Don't get me wrong, I love this game. This and Adam's games are always a fixture for me. I do feel sometimes though that Paradox truly "nickel & dimes" you in a way. Some of the expansions (Raja's of India, Charlemagne ect.) Add quite a bit of new content and paying what they sell them for seems fair. While other ones (Way of Life, Republics) I feel that while they have added content to the game, could of honestly been distributed for free as a big patch. The other things are mostly trivial, like the songs and pic packs, which I also feel could be updated into the game without having to pay a fee.

Ultimately while I love the game, and will probably still buy every piece of content that comes out for it, I feel like the $200+ dollars I've spent on the upgrades could of been included to me in something like a "Season Pass" deal, where you pay $70-$120 from the get go and are promised all future upgrades to the game.

I just don't feel like this new content could all be put into a new "Crusader Kings III" package, because CK2 still has so much life left in it, and while sometimes begrudgingly, I'll still support all of the DLC.

Paradox is interested in making a "Crusader King : Games of Thrones" games, because of the mod. It would be nice. VERY nice.

The developer mentioned that Game of Thrones is probably the only property that they would make a game out of. However there's no plan to actually do it.

And the mod is actually pretty advanced already. Even a year ago it was great fun. Now it's amazing.

And I meant to say CKII.5 rather than III. Must've slipped off the post. :p

In the case of Way of Life, I actually felt the patch that went with it had more relevant content for me. So in a way, I just decided to pay them for bringing out a patch. For what it was, WoL was 'way' too expensive (and not expAnsive, if that is a word).

The developer mentioned that Game of Thrones is probably the only property that they would make a game out of. However there's no plan to actually do it.

Yeah that was i was saying "Interested". HBO has said that they expect Paradox to begin negociation if they want

Wait, what? Why is TEW 2010 being released on Steam? What's happening? :confused:

I have no idea, but WMMA3 is on there too. I didn't even see an announcement by GDS anywhere that it was happening either. Viva Media is listed as the publisher on Steam though. Not sure if they are the same publisher that GDS uses through eLicense, but I've never heard of them.

Very strange.

Aye, strange indeed. Especially since nothing has been said about it from GDS. I assume an announcement will be forthcoming.

It was pointed out to me by my BF who is a member here too, and I was shocked it's an older version, I mean if it's just a feeler then why not put 13 out or something like that.

It's indeed strange as when I put that idea to Adam a few years ago he said he'd never do it....

It was pointed out to me by my BF who is a member here too, and I was shocked it's an older version, I mean if it's just a feeler then why not put 13 out or something like that.

It's indeed strange as when I put that idea to Adam a few years ago he said he'd never do it....

At the time of questioning, wasn't it an issue with the language used? If so, have Steam maybe changed up how it works?

Not sure if anyone here is an eSports fan, but holy hell that CS:GO ESL Grand Final was epic. I'm usually more of a Starcraft fan, but I had some spare time as the rugby match I was going to watch was absolutely dire, so tuned in for the CS:GO final (I haven't played CS since 1.6...). Not to give too much away, but it featured an epic babyface superhero comeback which was cut short right at the end.

A great watch for a neutral.

Also, anyone here played Besiege? It's loads of fun.

Not sure if anyone here is an eSports fan, but holy hell that CS:GO ESL Grand Final was epic. I'm usually more of a Starcraft fan, but I had some spare time as the rugby match I was going to watch was absolutely dire, so tuned in for the CS:GO final (I haven't played CS since 1.6...). Not to give too much away, but it featured an epic babyface superhero comeback which was cut short right at the end.

A great watch for a neutral.

Also, anyone here played Besiege? It's loads of fun.

That was good. Flusha has not cheated :D

My game has been moderately profitable (Streets of Chaos on Steam for the past month+ or so), and TEW would have even more of a fanbase, so I don't think that's true really.

Publisher is "Viva Media" so i'm not sure what's up honestly.

I googled Viva Media and a little worried. Their catalogue is full of those hidden picture games that you find in discounts stores for the price that the store is named after

I googled Viva Media and a little worried. Their catalogue is full of those hidden picture games that you find in discounts stores for the price that the store is named after

Recent releases include S.T.A.L.K.E.R Call of Pripyat, Grand Ages Rome, the wildly popular Crazy Machines series, the Learn to Play Chess series based on the world's #1 chess software engine, the renowned car racing simulation games RACE, GTR Evolution, RACE ON and a variety of casual games including North American best sellers, Farm Frenzy, Treasure Masters, Inc. and the Treasures of Mystery Island.

Not Bad. Maybe Grey Dog software has a contract with them to "test the water"