WWE Championship Tournament Game

Stennick

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Where are the other ten or so champions that you left out of the tournament?:D

Which champions? Stasiak, Rogers and Kollaf are the only ones I'm aware of. There are obviously guys in the second round that weren't in this round but other than that what ya see is what ya get.

Which champions? Stasiak, Rogers and Kollaf are the only ones I'm aware of. There are obviously guys in the second round that weren't in this round but other than that what ya see is what ya get.

Kane, Iron Sheik, Cactus Jack, RVD, Sid, Big Slow, Batista, Sgt. Slaughter, and I think there were a couple of more. Not that it matters as the last post was just a joke.

GREATEST WWE CHAMPION EVER ROUND 1

Match 1: "Superstar" Billy Graham (S16) vs. The Ultimate Warrior (S17)- Winner faces Bruno in round 2

Match 2: "Macho Man" Randy Savage (S9) vs. "Nature Boy" Ric Flair (S24) - Winner faces "Stone Cold" Steve Austin in Round 2

Match 3. "The Viper" Randy Orton (S12) vs. "Rated R Superstar" Edge (S21) - Winner faces John Cena in Round 2

Match 4: "The Next Big Thing" Brock Lesnar (S13) vs. "The Deadman" The Undertaker (S20) - Winner faces Pedro Morales in Round 2

Match 5: "The Great One" The Rock (S14) vs. "The Wrestling God" JBL (S19) - Winner faces Bob Backland in Round 2

Match 6: "Big Daddy Cool" Diesel (toot toot) (S11) vs. "Latino Heat" Eddie Guerrero (S22) - Winner faces Bret Hart in Round 2

Match 7: "HBK" Shawn Michaels (S10) vs. "The Celtic Warrior" Sheamus (S23) - Winner faces Triple H in Round 2

Match 8: "Your Olympic Hero" Kurt Angle (S15) vs. Yokozuna (S18) - Winner faces Hulk Hogan in Round 2

Ok guys there is still a day left to vote but most of these look like a forgone conclusion. Really only Orton vs. Edge and Eddie vs. Diesel look all that close. Flair vs. Savage is sort of close. Here are what the votes look like right now but again I’m giving it until the end of Sunday before I post the next round.

Graham 5 Votes Vs. Warrior 12 Votes - Faces Bruno next round

Savage 11 Votes vs. Flair 6 Votes – Faces Austin next round

Orton 10 Votes vs. Edge 7 Votes - Faces Cena next round

Taker 15 Votes vs. Lesnar 2 Votes – Faces Pedro Morales next round

Rock 17 votes vs. JBL 0 Votes – Faces Bob Backland next round

Eddie 10 Votes vs. Diesel 7 Votes – Faces Bret Hart next round

HBK 16 Votes vs. Sheamus 1 Vote – Faces Triple H next round

Kurt 14 Votes vs. Yoko 3 Votes – Faces Hulk Hogan next round

If things continue at their current pace Savage vs. Austin in round 2 could get interesting somewhat although I figure Austin will eventually run away with it. Orton vs. Edge is still a toss up but either of those guys facing Cena in round 2 is interesting since their all part of the same “generation” of champions. Taker should roll right through Pedro into round 3. The Rock may sweep his second consecutive round going up against Bob Backland. If Eddie can maintain his lead I’m not sure he can overcome Bret Hart in round 2. HBK vs. Triple H may be the best match up of any round. HBK has had short, mostly uninteresting runs as champion (aside from his DX run) while Triple H has had long, polarizing runs of both great and horrible as champion. That will be a toss up but I suspect hate for HHH will give HBK the pass to the next round. Kurt Angle vs. Hulk Hogan is another interesting match up but I can’t see a way for Kurt to overcome the legend.

Sorry about the delay I have been crazy busy at work and at home too. No rest for the wicked and other busy sayings.

Anyway onto the second round of the tournament. To make things easier on myself I have made online polls this time around.

While voting please remember this tournament is supposed to be judged on their merits as champions not performers. Take into account arena attendance, house show numbers, ppv buyrates (if the were around), television ratings, length and reaction as chamipon, etc.

WWE Championship Tournament Round 2

Round 2: Match 1: Bruno Sammartino vs. The Ultimate Warrior

The longest reigning champion in World Wrestling Federation/Entertainment History takes on a man that seemed to be the heir to Hulk Hogan's throne before either politicking or some sort of mental break down caused his reign on top to end abruptly. Will fans remember the legendary feud The Ultimate Warrior had with Hulk Hogan? Or will Bruno's outstanding success as champion be enough to overpower The Ultimate Warrior?

Round 2: Match 2: "Macho Man" Randy Savage vs. "Stone Cold" Steve Austin

Some might say the Macho Man was the 1980's Stone Cold. He said and did outlandish things outside of the ring and inside the ring he was as unpredictable as the rattlesnake himself. He won two championships at Wrestlemania 4 and 8 by winning a tournament and then defeating Ric Flair. Stone Cold's history has been told a thousand times. He drug the WWE from near bankruptcy with his McMahon vs. Austin storyline. Although he never held the championship for too long he gained several reigns before injuries took over his career the last few years. Will fans remember Randy's championship tournament win, will they remember his year long feud with Hulk Hogan that resulting in Randy turning and facing Hogan at Wrestlemania Five? Will fans remember his year long feud with the other wrestling immortal Ric Flair that resulted in him winning the championship? With Randy being involved in two of the greatest WWE Title feuds in history with two of the greatest performers in history his name is certainly in the running but can it stop Stone Cold Steve Austin?

Round 2: Match 3: "The Viper" Randy Orton vs. "You Can't See Him" John Cena

Both of these men come from the same "generation" and everyone should know their stories and their merits as champions. No need to rehash it. Will fans recognize John Cena for his lengths and success as champion? Or will fans consider Randy Orton to be this generations premiere champion?

Round 2: Match 4: "The Deadman" The Undertaker vs. Pedro Morales

Although many people might look at the Undertaker and assume this is a lock for him to win consider this. The Undertaker has never held the championship very long and has never truly had a memorable feud as world champion. The Deadman has always played "second main event". The Deadman is a four time WWE Champion for a combined 234 days. Being the attraction that didn't need the championship storyline. Pedro on the other hand is the fourth longest reigning champion with 1,027 days as champion he's only behind Bruno, Hulk, and Bob Backland. Pedro's length as champion is five times that of the Deadman and with only one reign. Will The Deadman's four short reigns be enough to topple the forgotten champion of the 70's? Or will Pedro's impressive length and success before mainstream wrestling be enough to keep him in the tournament?

Round 2: Match 5: The Rock vs. Bob Backland

The Rock is one of the most memorable performers of all time and he's a seven time WWE Champion. However the Rock has only held the championship for a combined 297 days throughout those reigns. There is no doubt The Rock is a great peformer and one of the greatest of all time but is he truly a greater World Champion than Bob Backland who is third all time in total days as champion having over 2138 days as champion over two reigns. Bob's reign lengths are over seven times that of The Great One. Will younger fans vote for the Great One? Or will the old guard be able to keep one of the most successful champions of all time in the running?

Round 2: Match 6: "The Excellence of Execution" Bret Hart vs. "Latino Heat" Eddie Guerrero

Bret Hart was champion when the WWE was at its darkest points. He went on to have many memorable WWE Title feuds with Diesel, Shawn Michels, The Undertaker and other huge WWE names. His 5 reigns got him over 650 days as champion. Eddie had feuds with JBL and Kurt Angle as champion before it quickly ended after just 133 days as champion. With Bret being champion at a less than great and memorable time while Eddie's reign was short it could become an interesting match up for who the better champion was.

Round 2: Match 7: "The Game" Triple H vs. "The Heartbreak Kid" Shawn Michaels

In what is sure to be one of the closer polls on the board you almost have master and student. Shawn Michaels only had three WWE Championship reigns that lasted just over 300 days. He was champion in a time where business was down and his most memorable WWE Championship feud may be those with Bret Hart. With Shawn being involved in two of the most memorable WWE Title matches in history will that be enough? Or will Triple H who nobody can deny was the biggest heel on the planet at wrestling's biggest time. Steve Austin, The Rock, Mic Foley, The Undertaker, he pinned the worlds biggest babyfaces not only during wrestling's biggest boom period but he did it on the biggest stage of all at Wrestlemania. In latter years he would suffer severe internet backlash for his extended reigns as "world heavyweight" champion however that championship and its merits are not tied into what he did as WWE Champion during 1999 and beyond.

Round 2: Match 8: "The Hulkster" Hulk Hogan vs. "Your Olympic Hero" Kurt Angle

A contrast of styles to say the least. Kurt Angle rose from wrestling Shawn Stasiak to World Champion in near record time. In wrestling's biggest boom period Kurt Angle was right beside Triple H, Undertaker, The Rock, Austin, Foley and other huge names. His four reigns lasted 297 days and will those days be enough to topple the man that arguablly paved the way for Kurt Angle to be champion?

This is a discussion/tournament on the greatest CHAMPION ever. You may feel Eddie Guerrero is the greatest wrestler of all time but was he the greatest WWE champion of all time? Your criteria is your own. PPV buyrates, Merchandise, television ratings, personal reasons, days as champion, impact as chamipon. Whatever criteria you want to use to determine who in your eyes was the greatest WWE Champion ever

While voting please remember this tournament is supposed to be judged on their merits as champions not performers. Take into account arena attendance, house show numbers, ppv buyrates (if the were around), television ratings, length and reaction as chamipon, etc.

This is quite different then it was at first. If it is the first one a discussion is possible with multiple people. If it is the second one talk about anyone not name Hogan or Austin is quite pointless.

No its still the same. If you think Eddie Guerrero was a better champion than Hogan vote for Eddie. I was just reminded people this is about their merits as champion not as performers.

Also I disagree Austin was the greatest champion ever. He wasn't champion but for 300 something days and he was "on top" for atleast four years. For instance I voted for Savage over Austin.

Savage had a year long feud with Hogan while he was champion that resulted in him turning and facing Hogan at Wrestlemania Five. He then had a year long feud with Ric Flair and won the championship at Wrestlemania 8. To me Savage did more AS champion than Austin did.

The Ultimate Warrior over Bruno Sammartino

Stone Cold over Randy Savage

John Cena over Randy Orton

Undertaker over Pedro Morales

The Rock over Bob Backlund

Bret Hart over Eddie Guerrero

Trips over HBK

Kurt Angle over Hulk Hogan

I don't think length of title reigns should be used as a measuring stick. Wrestling was way different in the 70's. All the modern era guys could have held the belt that long if they were around back then. Also I would put the WHCs in the game if I was doing it. Its basically the same belt.

I planned on doing a seperate one for that although the title itself is less exciting. Batista held it for 564 days.

I agree that length isn't the only measuring stick but it should be brought up in the discussion. Just like Bruno didn't have television ratings and ppv buys, other guys don't have length although look at John Cena he's at over a 1,000 days already.

Again its all about whoever you feel was the better champion. So far the polls are a lot closer and a lot more active than the last one. Should be exciting.

Bruno Sammartino over The Ultimate Warrior

-Bruno was before my time, but the dude was THEE draw for the pre-Hogan WWWF. Hogan passed the torch to Warrior with a ultra-rare clean loss, but he fell short.

Stone Cold over Randy Savage

-As much as I love Savage, the company would in all likelihood be bankrupt if not for Austin's explosion in the late-90's. He'll probably have my vote against everyone but Hogan.

-Cena is the unquestioned superstar of this era. Orton is sort of like the Savage to his Hogan, I'd say.

Pedro Morales over Undertaker

-To me, Undertaker is the modern day equivalent of Andre the Giant. He's a special attraction, and having a belt really adds nothing to him. Thus, nothing about his title reigns really stand out in my mind.

Bob Backlund over The Rock

-This was the toughest one for me to answer. Rock was a bigger draw for sure, but I just felt like none of his title reigns were long enough or "special" enough to surpass what Backlund did as champ in the late 70's-early 80's. I fully expect Rock to win this "match", though.

-I love Eddie, and his title win over Lesnar was really fun. But his title run really wasn't all that special. Meanwhile, I'd argue that Bret was the 2nd best WWF champ of the 90's, behind only Austin and his white hot run to close out the decade.

Trips over HBK

-I prefer Shawn personally, but his buddy Trips did more while champion. (It helps that he's had so many title reigns, too.)

Hulk Hogan over Kurt Angle

-If the question was "Who's your favorite?", I'd vote for Angle hands down. But a poll for best WWF champion? Not only should Hogan win this matchup handily, he should win this entire thing. Nobody is as synonymous with that title as Hogan, if you ask me.

Sammartino over Warrior

Like Ric Flair says, "To be The Man, you gotta BEAT The Man." Sammartino in his era was The Man. Warrior can't claim that. Warrior shouldn't even be here. Give me Bruno.

Austin over Savage

I liked Savage better. But based on impact in their times, Austin would be the better matchup from Bruno.

Cena over Orton

More the leader of his time frame. Plus I've never been impressed how Orton uses his pedigree.

Taker over Morales

Morales strikes me as more a guy who'd be Intercontinental champion if all of these guys were to be in a comapny in their prime. He was a big name in his prime. But guys like Sammartino and Backlund were bigger. Love seeing him in the mix though.

Backlund over The Rock

Yes, Rock was the flashier man and would have the crowd behind him. But this match seems to be all about dedication. One the one hand you have the longest reign in company history. On the other you have a guy who made his star and used it as a springboard to Hollywood. I think Rock makes a match of it but Backlund gets through.

Hart over Guerrero

Match could go either way. But I see Bret mixing better with Backlund.

Trips over HBK

The blind hate for the guy may get HBK through. But it should be Triple H. Helmsley makes a better backstory when you consider the other match goes

Hogan over Angle

Kurt's the better wrestler by far. But it goes back to what I said about Sammartino. To be The Man, you gotta beat The Man. Angle was never The Man of his time frame the way Hogan was. Besides, backstory wise, who wouldn't want to see the ultimate face in Hogan face the ultimate schemer heel in WWE history in Triple H? That would be a match for the ages plain and simple. Irresistible force meeting immovable object as it were. Something would have to give.

The Ultimate Warrior v Bruno Sammartino

Had to vote for the Warrior

Stone Cold v Randy Savage

i think i was 1st to vote savage in poll, ohhh yeahhh!!!

John Cena v Randy Orton

well he is supercena

Undertaker v Pedro Morales

RIP pedro

The Rock v Bob Backlund

Can u smell the win

Bret Hart v Eddie Guerrero

Eddie Eddie Eddie!

Trips v HBK

HBK Best Ever

Hogan v Angle

it nearly killed me but i voted hogan

Sammartino beats The Warrior

-Warrior wasn't very special as the champion i never felt. Maybe it was because i was such a huge Hogan fan, but i never really believed the Warrior as champion, and i think the fact that Slaughter was the one to end his reign really hurts his legacy as well. Nothing against Slaughter, just that he's not the awesome opponent that some of these other people have beaten/loss the belt to.

Savage over Austin

-No question Stone Cold had a bigger impact on the WWE/F, but not a bigger impact on the history of the championship belt. Savage won the title in a tournament at the BIGGEST event, Wrestlemania, then managed to hold onto it for a whole year. It's also important to note that he did way more than just keep the belt warm in between hulkster reigns, Savage was very much a legit and AWESOME champion. Savage all the way in this match

-I actually like Orton more, but Cena has done much more with the belt as champion. Hopefully that will change over time, as I think Orton is deserving (but DANG does he need a gimmick change in my opinion)

Morales over Taker

-For me this is by far the closest. Undertaker has been a powerhouse in the WWE/F for a long time, but not really a power champion. Morales was a hero to a whole group of people. Would like to call this a draw, but yea i have to vote for Morales just by an inch

Backlund over The Rock

-Again, The Rock didn't do enough as the champion, which is probably the biggest disappointment of any championship reign, because he could have gone down as the most over, and historic champion in the history of the belt i think, a second coming of the Hulkster if you will haha

-Definitely Bret, people forget how great he was. As champion he was pretty cool. He will definitely lose in the next round, but in this round he steam rolls Eddie in my opinion

HBK over HHH

-This one is really really tough to call as well. I think Shawn is the better champion though. I feel like he had the better matches and title defenses as champion. Its a tough call though

Hulk Hogan over Angle

-Angle was a great wrestler and i liked him a lot as champion. I think there's atleast 3 guys in this round that he could have beaten had he been matched up with them (Taker, Guerrero, Morales), but ABSOLUTELY NO WAY he beats Hogan.

This is really cool, i like it. Someone should start a massive tournament for people who never won the title but should have, that would be interesting i think.

The Ultimate Warrior vs. Bruno Sammartino

Steve Austin vs. Randy Savage

John Cena vs. Randy Orton

The Undertaker vs. Pedro Morales

The Rock vs. Bob Backlund

Bret Hart vs. Eddie Guerrero

Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels

Hulk Hogan vs. Kurt Angle

Morales over Taker

-For me this is by far the closest. Undertaker has been a powerhouse in the WWE/F for a long time, but not really a power champion. Morales was a hero to a whole group of people. Would like to call this a draw, but yea i have to vote for Morales just by an inch

You know since you mention the whole ethnic hero thing with Morales, I'll tell you who I'd like to see him in the ring with. How about Pedro Morales and Rey Misterio in the same ring? As opponents or tag partners it doesn't matter. Both ways would be cool.

Archived