WWE Championship Tournament Game

Stennick

Who is the greatest WWE Champion of all time? I saw a game played elsewhere for the ECW Championship. The guys are seeded by length of reign. There have been 25 champions. I'm not counting any other title but the WWE/F Championship.

Now there have been 25 champions so I used a standard 25 person tournament bracket. That means that not all guys compete in the first round. I will post round 1 in my next post I will include in that who the winners of that round one will play into the second round against if anyone.

I hope I'm being clear and if not please feel free to ask questions I think this could be fun. I'll give voting a reasonable amount of time. Once it looks like the round or particular match up has been decided we'll move on.

This is a discussion/tournament on the greatest CHAMPION ever. You may feel Eddie Guerrero is the greatest wrestler of all time but was he the greatest WWE champion of all time? Your criteria is your own. PPV buyrates, Merchandise, television ratings, personal reasons, days as champion, impact as chamipon. Whatever criteria you want to use to determine who in your eyes was the greatest WWE Champion ever

Remember I seeded this entirely by days as champion so some guys have tough match ups while others skate by fairly easy in the first round. In my next post I'll post the first round brackets.

UPDATE

We are in the Second Round of voting. I am doing this entirely by polls it saves a lot of time. Click the links and it will take you to the poll.

WWE Championship Tournament Round 2

Round 2: Match 1: Bruno Sammartino vs. The Ultimate Warrior

The longest reigning champion in World Wrestling Federation/Entertainment History takes on a man that seemed to be the heir to Hulk Hogan's throne before either politicking or some sort of mental break down caused his reign on top to end abruptly. Will fans remember the legendary feud The Ultimate Warrior had with Hulk Hogan? Or will Bruno's outstanding success as champion be enough to overpower The Ultimate Warrior?

Round 2: Match 2: "Macho Man" Randy Savage vs. "Stone Cold" Steve Austin

Some might say the Macho Man was the 1980's Stone Cold. He said and did outlandish things outside of the ring and inside the ring he was as unpredictable as the rattlesnake himself. He won two championships at Wrestlemania 4 and 8 by winning a tournament and then defeating Ric Flair. Stone Cold's history has been told a thousand times. He drug the WWE from near bankruptcy with his McMahon vs. Austin storyline. Although he never held the championship for too long he gained several reigns before injuries took over his career the last few years. Will fans remember Randy's championship tournament win, will they remember his year long feud with Hulk Hogan that resulting in Randy turning and facing Hogan at Wrestlemania Five? Will fans remember his year long feud with the other wrestling immortal Ric Flair that resulted in him winning the championship? With Randy being involved in two of the greatest WWE Title feuds in history with two of the greatest performers in history his name is certainly in the running but can it stop Stone Cold Steve Austin?

Round 2: Match 3: "The Viper" Randy Orton vs. "You Can't See Him" John Cena

Both of these men come from the same "generation" and everyone should know their stories and their merits as champions. No need to rehash it. Will fans recognize John Cena for his lengths and success as champion? Or will fans consider Randy Orton to be this generations premiere champion?

Round 2: Match 4: "The Deadman" The Undertaker vs. Pedro Morales

Although many people might look at the Undertaker and assume this is a lock for him to win consider this. The Undertaker has never held the championship very long and has never truly had a memorable feud as world champion. The Deadman has always played "second main event". The Deadman is a four time WWE Champion for a combined 234 days. Being the attraction that didn't need the championship storyline. Pedro on the other hand is the fourth longest reigning champion with 1,027 days as champion he's only behind Bruno, Hulk, and Bob Backland. Pedro's length as champion is five times that of the Deadman and with only one reign. Will The Deadman's four short reigns be enough to topple the forgotten champion of the 70's? Or will Pedro's impressive length and success before mainstream wrestling be enough to keep him in the tournament?

Round 2: Match 5: The Rock vs. Bob Backland

The Rock is one of the most memorable performers of all time and he's a seven time WWE Champion. However the Rock has only held the championship for a combined 297 days throughout those reigns. There is no doubt The Rock is a great peformer and one of the greatest of all time but is he truly a greater World Champion than Bob Backland who is third all time in total days as champion having over 2138 days as champion over two reigns. Bob's reign lengths are over seven times that of The Great One. Will younger fans vote for the Great One? Or will the old guard be able to keep one of the most successful champions of all time in the running?

Round 2: Match 6: "The Excellence of Execution" Bret Hart vs. "Latino Heat" Eddie Guerrero

Bret Hart was champion when the WWE was at its darkest points. He went on to have many memorable WWE Title feuds with Diesel, Shawn Michels, The Undertaker and other huge WWE names. His 5 reigns got him over 650 days as champion. Eddie had feuds with JBL and Kurt Angle as champion before it quickly ended after just 133 days as champion. With Bret being champion at a less than great and memorable time while Eddie's reign was short it could become an interesting match up for who the better champion was.

Round 2: Match 7: "The Game" Triple H vs. "The Heartbreak Kid" Shawn Michaels

In what is sure to be one of the closer polls on the board you almost have master and student. Shawn Michaels only had three WWE Championship reigns that lasted just over 300 days. He was champion in a time where business was down and his most memorable WWE Championship feud may be those with Bret Hart. With Shawn being involved in two of the most memorable WWE Title matches in history will that be enough? Or will Triple H who nobody can deny was the biggest heel on the planet at wrestling's biggest time. Steve Austin, The Rock, Mic Foley, The Undertaker, he pinned the worlds biggest babyfaces not only during wrestling's biggest boom period but he did it on the biggest stage of all at Wrestlemania. In latter years he would suffer severe internet backlash for his extended reigns as "world heavyweight" champion however that championship and its merits are not tied into what he did as WWE Champion during 1999 and beyond.

Round 2: Match 8: "The Hulkster" Hulk Hogan vs. "Your Olympic Hero" Kurt Angle

A contrast of styles to say the least. Kurt Angle rose from wrestling Shawn Stasiak to World Champion in near record time. In wrestling's biggest boom period Kurt Angle was right beside Triple H, Undertaker, The Rock, Austin, Foley and other huge names. His four reigns lasted 297 days and will those days be enough to topple the man that arguablly paved the way for Kurt Angle to be champion?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GREATEST WWE CHAMPION EVER ROUND 1

Match 1: "Superstar" Billy Graham (S16) vs. The Ultimate Warrior (S17)- Winner faces Bruno in round 2

Match 2: "Macho Man" Randy Savage (S9) vs. "Nature Boy" Ric Flair (S24) - Winner faces "Stone Cold" Steve Austin in Round 2

Match 3. "The Viper" Randy Orton (S12) vs. "Rated R Superstar" Edge (S21) - Winner faces John Cena in Round 2

Match 4: "The Next Big Thing" Brock Lesnar (S13) vs. "The Deadman" The Undertaker (S20) - Winner faces Pedro Morales in Round 2

Match 5: "The Great One" The Rock (S14) vs. "The Wrestling God" JBL (S19) - Winner faces Bob Backland in Round 2

Match 6: "Big Daddy Cool" Diesel (toot toot) (S11) vs. "Latino Heat" Eddie Guerrero (S22) - Winner faces Bret Hart in Round 2

Match 7: "HBK" Shawn Michaels (S10) vs. "The Celtic Warrior" Sheamus (S23) - Winner faces Triple H in Round 2

Match 8: "Your Olympic Hero" Kurt Angle (S15) vs. Yokozuna (S18) - Winner faces Hulk Hogan in Round 2

Match 1: "Superstar" Billy Graham (S16) vs. The Ultimate Warrior (S17)- Winner faces Bruno in round 2

Match 2: "Macho Man" Randy Savage (S9) vs. "Nature Boy" Ric Flair (S24) - Winner faces "Stone Cold" Steve Austin in Round 2

Match 3. "The Viper" Randy Orton (S12) vs. "Rated R Superstar" Edge (S21) - Winner faces John Cena in Round 2

Match 4: "The Next Big Thing" Brock Lesnar (S13) vs. "The Deadman" The Undertaker (S20) - Winner faces Pedro Morales in Round 2

Match 5: "The Great One" The Rock (S14) vs. "The Wrestling God" JBL (S19) - Winner faces Bob Backland in Round 2

Match 6: "Big Daddy Cool" Diesel (toot toot) (S11) vs. "Latino Heat" Eddie Guerrero (S22) - Winner faces Bret Hart in Round 2

Match 7: "HBK" Shawn Michaels (S10) vs. "The Celtic Warrior" Sheamus (S23) - Winner faces Triple H in Round 2

Match 8: "Your Olympic Hero" Kurt Angle (S15) vs. Yokozuna (S18) - Winner faces Hulk Hogan in Round 2

Warrior over Graham

Savage over Flair

Orton over Edge

Lesnar over Taker(Lesnar is the most believable champion they've ever had in my opinion)

The Rock over JBL

Diesel over Eddie Guerrero

Sheamus over HBK(I never really bought into HBK as World champion, but Sheamus is believable right now.)

Yokozuna over Angle(never really liked Angle as champion, but Yoko was awesome)

-Based almost 100% on my dislike of Ultimate Warrior even though I am at the age I should have loved him as a kid my guys were Savage and Hogan.

-In my book Flair is one of the best of all time, but Savage is top 3 all time.

-Like Edge better when he is in a tag team.

-Though he hasn’t entertained my more then twice a year for quite some time now I have to go with the dead man.

-I loved APA, but the Rock is the Rock.

-Nash is my favorite wrestler of all time (notice I did not say the best). Diesel was Attitude long before the Attitude area plus he is Supper Shredder.

-HBK is up there with Savage.

-Though it isn’t even close I got to say for his size Yoko was great.

Here's my picks.

Who is seeded no. 25?

Cant believe Sheamus missed my vote, but he did come up against The Main Event. Lesnar v Taker was a tough choice, I wanted to vote Brock just for his UFC 100 speech.

Without Superstar Billy Graham we may have never had Hulk Hogan as WWF Champion. Plus the Warrior sucked.

Going by WWF tenure alone Macho Man gets the nod from me.

Tough call as I see these two as the most equally matched thus far. That being said I have to go with RKO.

The Undertaker has been a company man for almost 20 years. Whereas, Brock bolted from the company asap.

JBL sucked as champion...

I was never a huge Eddie fan, that being said he is going against the lowest drawing WWF champion of his time (I don't know if he still holds that title or not).

I have always hated HBK going back to his days with the Rockers (I did not watch the AWA so I did not hate him when he was there). However, I have to give the devil his due and he is a much better champion than Sheamus.

I was never a huge Eddie fan, that being said he is going against the lowest drawing WWF champion of his time (I don't know if he still holds that title or not).

What are you talking about Nash was the biggest draw. Just look at the chart. :D;):D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fob4r2N-upg&feature=related

-Warrior's title reign was a failure, IMO.

-Flair is the better overall wrestler, but Savage accomplished more as WWF Champion. The yearlong arc that saw him win the title at WMIV, have a falling-out with Hogan and drop the title to him at WMV was pretty great if you ask me.

-I like Edge better, but none of his title reigns have ever amounted to anything. Orton has had a couple of decent runs with the belt, which is more than Edge can say.

-If Lesnar had stuck around, I think this would be an easy choice. But as it is, I can't vote for him.

-I don't care if JBL was the "longest reigning champion in Smackdown history"--The Rock's accomplishments as champion dwarf him. Plus, added bonus, I was in the arena when Rock won the title for the very first time. :D

-Summerslam '95 was headlined by Diesel defending the WWF title against King Mabel. Enough said.

-Seriously? I don't dislike Sheamus quite as much as I did a few months ago, but I still don't think he deserves to be champion. HBK put on some classic performances during his title reign, including the fantastic Iron Man match with Bret where he won the belt in the first place. A very, VERY easy decision.

-Yoko did a decent job as champ, as far as getting the fans to hate him. But Kurt Angle is Kurt Angle. I doubt he'll win the whole thing (nor should he), but he deserves to win this particular match-up, at least.

I love the guy but his next round match up is Hulk Hogan so I'm not sure he's making it as far as he deserves but none the less I agree.

I agree as well, but in all honesty he does not deserve to beat Hulk. Really nobody deserves to beat Hulk in this tournament. I guess a case could be made for Bruno (Held the title twice and one reign lasted ten years) or Austin (This is actually who I think will end up winning because most of the younger posters remember him in his prime) and I would be fine with either of them winning. However, Hulk helped Vince put the WWF on the map nationally and therefore I think he had the greatest impact.

Bruno was champion when it was a regional promotion. And Austin was the big name during the Attitude Era (which by the way I was never a huge fan of).

Wait a second, were is Buddy Rogers, Ivan Koloff, and Stan Stasiak?

You know I don't know where their at. On Wiki it didn't list them as WWF Champoins but if their counting Bruno and his WWWF run and Pedro's run I don't know why their not counting theres. I didn't make a big fuss since I didn't see any of them making it out of the first round cept for Buddy

You know I don't know where their at. On Wiki it didn't list them as WWF Champoins but if their counting Bruno and his WWWF run and Pedro's run I don't know why their not counting theres. I didn't make a big fuss since I didn't see any of them making it out of the first round cept for Buddy

Yeah I agree with that but this list is missing a lot of the ex-champs. There is no Kane, Iron Sheik, Cactus Jack, RVD, Sid, Big Slow, Batista, Sgt. Slaughter, and a few more. Like you said most would never make it out of the first round all though I would love to see the Iron Sheik go deep and make this tournament humble.:D

Match 1: "Superstar" Billy Graham (S16) vs. The Ultimate Warrior (S17)

I naturally lean towards the guys I've had experiences watching, and Warrior (as 'bad a worker' as he was) was a monolithic figure to me as a youth.

Match 2: "Macho Man" Randy Savage (S9) vs. "Nature Boy" Ric Flair (S24)

Oldest ride. Longest line. Whoo! Nature Boy! I dug Randy, but I never experienced him as a champion.

Match 3. "The Viper" Randy Orton (S12) vs. "Rated R Superstar" Edge (S21)

I like them both, but Randy Orton has a certain presence that I dig.

Match 4: "The Next Big Thing" Brock Lesnar (S13) vs. "The Deadman" The Undertaker (S20)

UFC Heavyweight Champion. That's good enough for me. I am not a fan of The Undertaker. His last run, beating Punk and looking 7000 years old, hurt him in my eyes.

Match 5: "The Great One" The Rock (S14) vs. "The Wrestling God" JBL (S19)

I missed 87% of the JBL thing, but even if I had seen it, The Rock is quite possibly my pick for greatest wrestler of all time.

Match 6: "Big Daddy Cool" Diesel (toot toot) (S11) vs. "Latino Heat" Eddie Guerrero (S22)

A weak match-up in my book. Eddie just wins out. Just.

Match 7: "HBK" Shawn Michaels (S10) vs. "The Celtic Warrior" Sheamus (S23)

Never convinced of Shawn as a World Champion, great performer but lacked the offensive capabilities, but it's early days for that Sheamus fella.

Fell in love with Kurt the second he put on that tiny cowboy hat when hanging out with Austin.

Yeah, these required a bit of thinking. Bit of a shame JBL had to be paired against The Rock of all people :(

Okay. Have a few beefs here with these matchups as set but I'll play.

1: Graham over Warrior

The Superstar was one of the great schemers in E history. Warrior's gonna try to wear him out early but Graham will be too smart for that. Add in the potential threat of The Grand Wizard at ringside I don't think Warrior ever gets comfortable in this match.

2: Flair over Savage

Flair knows Savage too well and has always been good at getting under Macho's skin. Either one would far well vs Austin. But Flair gets the nod.

3: Edge over Orton

It's shameful a stagehand even gets into this tournament. Against a supierior intellect like Edge, there can be no doubt who I'd want to see in the next round. Rate this match R.

4: Taker over Lesnar

Lesnar was good for a while. But at the end of the day, he couldn't take it. He packed up his ball and went home. Then to the NFL and then to UFC. Taker would place far more value on this match so he wins.

5: Rock over JBL

Neither one's really up to Backlund in the ring. But Rock would generate far more interest in the match than JBL. I'll smell his cooking for now.

6: Guerrero over Diesel

Like above, it comes down to the caliber of match and who'd create more interest. Guerrero vs Hart has far more potential.

7: HBK over Sheamus

As has been noted, Sheamus is just too new at the champion game. Don't really want either guy against Trips. But gotta pick one. So Michaels.

8: Yoko over Angle

As a protest move. I really hate this match leading to Hogan. Angle while by far the better wrestler and the better at conducting a promo battle with the Hulkster is not suited persona-wise to face off with champion Hogan. Our Olympic Champion if anything is better suited as an ally of the Hulkster.

But man, the way these brackets are built really stink. For example, I'd much rather see Graham face Flair or Edge. Either battle of wits would be classic. Maybe flop matches two and 4. The generational mix of Flair and Morales would be more interesting than Flair and Austin. We know how crafty Flair is. But let's see him against a guy as used to it as Pedro. Maybe flop HBK and Graham in matches 1 and 7. Graham vs Trips would be another classic chess match. While Bruno vs HBK could be classed as a slight upset by the younger generation when Sammartino handled heel HBK. Maybe swap Angle and Eddie in matches 6 & 8. Angle vs Hart would be a great match while I'd love to see champion-era Hogan grapple to understand the appeal of Latino Heat.

Match 6: "Big Daddy Cool" Diesel(S11) vs. "Latino Heat" Eddie Guerrero (S22) - Winner faces Bret Hart in Round 2

Archived