The Offical American Indys Thread

The Celt

I watched EVOLVE 2; Hero vs Hidaka, and I've come to the conclusion that I don't like EVOLVE all that much. It's like they've gone for a stripped-down, 'real' feel with the basic entrance-way, and lack of individual ring music, and the basic ring introductions, but it seems low rent to me. They strip the fighters of their personallity, and make them seem really unimportant compared to how they appear in their home promotions. The CHIKARA guys in particular. In CHIKARA, they get these great ring introductions, the 'Bruce Buffer' treatment. In EVOLVE it's just "with a record of 0-1, Amasis". They're trying to give wrestling the importance over the presentation, but when I watch a show, I want to believe I'm watching something important. With such basic and bland presentation, EVOLVE doesn't feel important.

this is the same feeling I got from EVOLVE 4.. I like the idea of making it seem like the wrestling is a real competition.. but theyve made the show ridiculously boring.. I watched the whole show, but didnt really feel any better for it.. if they put a bit of energy into the presentation and made it feel like a big deal it would be infinitely better..

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watched the PWG 'Dio' show from the summer (first day of the World Cup). I like PWG. It doesn't take itself too seriously, but doesn't go for wacky comedy either. I like the atmosphere, despite how rinky-dink the venues look, and the stark lighting. Maybe it's just the hot crowd making everything seem like a big deal, like the show is worth watching. Dio was a good show. Not to the level of 'Seven', but fun stuff.

Favourite match? Joey Ryan & The Cutlers vs The Young Bucks & Malachi Jackson. Not only is it an out-of-control 6-man filled with 'movez', but the interplay between the Bucks and their little brother gave so much life to it. Nick Jackson in particular showed a lot of personality, entertaining despite not doing the lion's share of his spots.

Plenty of good wrestling on the show (shout out to Candice LaRae vs Christie Von Eerie, and Women's match that wasn't a bathroom break) but Chris Hero is going down in my opinion. First the Hidaka match, now this show against Brandon Gatson, that's twice he's bored me. I dig the elbows, but his matches start so slow and go so long that I get restless. Wasn't thrilled by the main event either, but that's more due to my utter disinterest in Londrick.

Yeah! PWG!

You know, I'm really beginning to increasingly think that PWG would be the prefect promotion to be on MTV2 one day. I think that PWG has both the fast paced action that would have the pace necessary to awe the audience on the wrestling side, while also having enough colourful and entertaining personalities to work things on the entertainment side. Yeah, to me PWG's fun loving personality fits well with MTV's not that serious either character.

Also, say what you like about MTV, but in reality they've been very good to the wrestling industry; Rock'n'Wrestling...WSX, now Lucha Libre USA. They've given us quite a number of opportunities.

You know, I'm really beginning to increasingly think that PWG would be the prefect promotion to be on MTV2 one day. I think that PWG has both the fast paced action that would have the pace necessary to awe the audience on the wrestling side, while also having enough colourful and entertaining personalities to work things on the entertainment side. Yeah, to me PWG's fun loving personality fits well with MTV's not that serious either character.

Also, say what you like about MTV, but in reality they've been very good to the wrestling industry; Rock'n'Wrestling...WSX, now Lucha Libre USA. They've given us quite a number of opportunities.

Maybe... but looking at PWG's top guys, you've got a ton of RoH dudes (Hero, Generico, Davey) and if HDnet don't want to share, I'm not sure who PWG have got who can headline. Not that they need 'names', but talent wise who do they have that's unique to them?

Personally, I'm kinda soured on the whole concept of weekly wrestling programming right now. At least in the traditional sense. Looking at how RoH is just a tweaked, more serious version of RAW, Smackdown, Nitro, Impact etc. It's watered down, and void of the old RoH atmosphere. What I think could be cool for PWG, would be a monthly slot to air their shows. Throughout the month you run ads and promos, maybe some UFC-style 'Countdown' shows, then go balls-to-the-wall on the last Saturday of every month with a kick ass show, with slightly better production values, while keeping the hot crowd and positive atmosphere of PWG.

Maybe airing their shows on free TV would hurt DVD sales so much it would bankrupt them. Maybe the added exposure would add to sales, making people want to relive the magic of the shows forever. I don't know. I'm not an accountant. I'd prefer to see a wrestling show follow the UFC model than a traditional wrestling one.

The first ever DGUSA iPPV is tomorrow night!!! I don't know about you guys, but I'm super excited. Granted, I have to stay up until 1am BST to watch it, but it should be worth it.

Here's the card,

Open The Freedom Gate Title

BxB Hulk defends vs. Shingo

Dragon Gate Tag Team Wrestling At Its Best

CIMA & Genki Horiguchi vs. YAMATO & Akira Tozawa

I Quit Match

Jimmy Jacobs vs. Jon Moxley

Dream Match - Non-Title

Open The Dream Gate Champion Masato Yoshino vs. Austin Aries

Giant Tag Team Attraction

Brodie Lee & Akebono vs. The Osirian Portal

Special Challenge Match

Homicide vs. Rich Swann

Four Way Freestyle

Chuck Taylor vs. Ricochet vs. Johnny Gargano vs. Arik Cannon

Honestly, I've seen better Dragon Gate cards, but the main event should rule (their last singles match, hair vs hair in Japan, is regarded as a strong MotY candidate) and Yoshino vs Aries should be very interesting. So, any one else getting the show? This Friday Night. Go Fight Live. 8pm EDT, which I think is 1am BST (should probably check that). At $14.99 I reckon it's a steal compared to WWE & TNA PPV's.

In other news, I got my PWG Battle of Los Angeles DVD's this morning. Gonna have one hell of a weekend :)

The first ever DGUSA iPPV is tomorrow night!!! I don't know about you guys, but I'm super excited. Granted, I have to stay up until 1am BST to watch it, but it should be worth it.

Here's the card,

Honestly, I've seen better Dragon Gate cards, but the main event should rule (their last singles match, hair vs hair in Japan, is regarded as a strong MotY candidate) and Yoshino vs Aries should be very interesting. So, any one else getting the show? This Friday Night. Go Fight Live. 8pm EDT, which I think is 1am BST (should probably check that). At $14.99 I reckon it's a steal compared to WWE & TNA PPV's.

In other news, I got my PWG Battle of Los Angeles DVD's this morning. Gonna have one hell of a weekend :)

I would watch it but am tired and dont fancy staying up till 1am to watch it. Sounds like a good card though. Interested in how the Osirian Portals match works, sounds like a complete mismatch.

Here's the card,

I will be going (only like a half an hour ride from my house)! I have never been to a Dragon Gate card before and have only watched one of their DVD's so I am looking forward to this.

I would watch it but am tired and dont fancy staying up till 1am to watch it. Sounds like a good card though. Interested in how the Osirian Portals match works, sounds like a complete mismatch.

Never fear! They're showing "on demand" replays, starting Sunday 31st, 6pm EDT. As long as you can dodge spoilers over the weekend, you'll be free to watch the DG action at a reasonable hour. There's a chance I'll end up watching the replay myself. I'm not a kid any more. No longer suited to the whole 'night owl' gimmick. We'll see if I get all tuckered out by midnight.

I will be going (only like a half an hour ride from my house)! I have never been to a Dragon Gate card before and have only watched one of their DVD's so I am looking forward to this.

You lucky duck. I'm itching to go see them live again. I even priced plane tickets to see how much it would cost to go to these shows. :D

Never fear! They're showing "on demand" replays, starting Sunday 31st, 6pm EDT. As long as you can dodge spoilers over the weekend, you'll be free to watch the DG action at a reasonable hour. There's a chance I'll end up watching the replay myself. I'm not a kid any more. No longer suited to the whole 'night owl' gimmick. We'll see if I get all tuckered out by midnight.

You lucky duck. I'm itching to go see them live again. I even priced plane tickets to see how much it would cost to go to these shows. :D

I would have a search to see if the ppv was good before watching it, hopefully I could dodge the results. I would be tempted to stay up, but have 2 tests at school today, then playing football and I'm tired after going to see Ross Noble last night.

I think it would be a bit extreme flying to America to see one of their shows :p

I would have a search to see if the ppv was good before watching it, hopefully I could dodge the results. I would be tempted to stay up, but have 2 tests at school today, then playing football and I'm tired after going to see Ross Noble last night.

I think it would be a bit extreme flying to America to see one of their shows :p

I try not to post any results in this thread. Just opinions on quality. I really do think watching a wrestling match is so much more exciting when you don't know who is going to win, so why would I ruin it for folks? I want y'all to start watching these shows. :)

P.S. Ross Noble is awesome. Went to a show of his back when I was in University. A fantastic time.

P.P.S. I don't travel much, and I recently decided that I should. I'm not one to go on holiday to lay on a beach and do nothin'. I need things to do. The thought of planning a week's vacation to the States around a wrestling show or two... I'm into that. I'm already planning a trip to German in March, centered around WXW's 16 Carat Tournament. I'm a swinging single in my mid-20's, making good money, no wife or kids weighing me down. If I don't travel now, when will I? :)

I try not to post any results in this thread. Just opinions on quality. I really do think watching a wrestling match is so much more exciting when you don't know who is going to win, so why would I ruin it for folks? I want y'all to start watching these shows. :)

P.S. Ross Noble is awesome. Went to a show of his back when I was in University. A fantastic time.

P.P.S. I don't travel much, and I recently decided that I should. I'm not one to go on holiday to lay on a beach and do nothin'. I need things to do. The thought of planning a week's vacation to the States around a wrestling show or two... I'm into that. I'm already planning a trip to German in March, centered around WXW's 16 Carat Tournament. I'm a swinging single in my mid-20's, making good money, no wife or kids weighing me down. If I don't travel now, when will I? :)

Fair enough, sounds better with justification. You should try to do Wrestlemania week(end) Roh are doing two shows, DG USA did a show this year, and I wouldn't be surprised if someone like Evolve joined in.

Fair enough, sounds better with justification. You should try to do Wrestlemania week(end) Roh are doing two shows, DG USA did a show this year, and I wouldn't be surprised if someone like Evolve joined in.

I'm looking at it. WWE & ROH aren't quite enough to justify it for me, especially as it's so close to my Germany trip (I make good money, not great money :) ) If Dragon Gate or Evolve or CHIKARA or even TNA got involved with some shows nearby I think I'd give it a go. As a wrestling fan, I really should attend a Wrestlemania once in my life, even if I'm not watching their TV at the moment.

It's the intermission of the iPPV right now, and sadly it's been fraught with technical issues. The sound was out-of-sync for the first match (which was also running in slow-mo for a while too). A promo had no audio at all. Commentary cut out in places.

The in-ring product isn't setting my world on fire either. Too much USA, not enough Dragon Gate. The Fourway seemed good, but was so out-of-sync as to be unwatchable (should be fixed for replay). Homicide/Swann was fine. Yoshino/Aries was merely good. Moxley/Jacobs was more of a personal 'meh' as I don't mark out for either man.

Hopefully the replay fixes the technical issues, and the final matches ramp it up a gear. I'm exhausted. Long, hard day at work. Not used to being up at 3am.

The second half was better. I LOVED The Portal vs Brodie & Akebono, although it's more of a fun diversion than a true selling point. Business certainly picked up with YAMATO & Akira Tozawa vs CIMA & Genki, which had the Dragon Gate-y vibe the previous matches lacked. BxB Hulk vs Shingo was exactly what you'd expect, and was good, but at that point I could barely keep my eyes open, and they were going 20+ minutes. Probably lost half a star in my mind simply because I wanted to sleep.

I don't think I'll get a Live iPPV again. Technical difficulties (although the stream was very stable. Never dropped for me) and exhaustion hurt my enjoyment. I'll likely get the replay next time.

It's the intermission of the iPPV right now, and sadly it's been fraught with technical issues. The sound was out-of-sync for the first match (which was also running in slow-mo for a while too). A promo had no audio at all. Commentary cut out in places.

The in-ring product isn't setting my world on fire either. Too much USA, not enough Dragon Gate. The Fourway seemed good, but was so out-of-sync as to be unwatchable (should be fixed for replay). Homicide/Swann was fine. Yoshino/Aries was merely good. Moxley/Jacobs was more of a personal 'meh' as I don't mark out for either man.

Hopefully the replay fixes the technical issues, and the final matches ramp it up a gear. I'm exhausted. Long, hard day at work. Not used to being up at 3am.

The second half was better. I LOVED The Portal vs Brodie & Akebono, although it's more of a fun diversion than a true selling point. Business certainly picked up with YAMATO & Akira Tozawa vs CIMA & Genki, which had the Dragon Gate-y vibe the previous matches lacked. BxB Hulk vs Shingo was exactly what you'd expect, and was good, but at that point I could barely keep my eyes open, and they were going 20+ minutes. Probably lost half a star in my mind simply because I wanted to sleep.

I don't think I'll get a Live iPPV again. Technical difficulties (although the stream was very stable. Never dropped for me) and exhaustion hurt my enjoyment. I'll likely get the replay next time.

We could not hear the first promo live either. I pretty much agree with what you said. I think the two best matches of the night were YAMATO & Akira Tozawa vs CIMA & Genki and the Four-Way.

For a first blood match, the Jimmy Jacobs match was lacking something. I am not sure what but it just really was lacking.

Rick Swann (sp?) seemed to be super over with the fans. I think at first it was a bit of a joke but by the time he came out with Chuck Taylor and the other guy (Sorry I was not able to retain every name. Hey this was only the second time I have watched a DG show.), the crowd was going nuts for him.

I met Chuck Taylor and talked to him for a minute or so. Seemed like a really cool guy.

The Homicide promo proved TNA right, he is not very well spoken and it showed in the promo. Although, I thought he and Swann put on a good match. And Homicide's interaction with the fans was cool.

Overall I thought it was a good show. From the sound of it, I would say it was better live than on iPPV.

Rich Swann is a CZW guy who mostly competes in either tag team action (as one half of Irish Drive-by with Ryan McBride) or for the CZW light heavyweight title. I thought it was a pretty cool move to have Austin Aries come out and ask him to be his protége; it boosts his creditability just so much.

Rich Swann is a CZW guy who mostly competes in either tag team action (as one half of Irish Drive-by with Ryan McBride) or for the CZW light heavyweight title. I thought it was a pretty cool move to have Austin Aries come out and ask him to be his protége; it boosts his creditability just so much.

So I take it you got the PPV last night. Question, did the reaction he got come across on the PPV because the fans seemed to be really into him.

Actually I just read the live reports, I was too bust watch Scott Pilgrim vs. the world. 411mania actually covered the show (a move guaranteed to piss off the majority of their commentators) and what was interesting is that the reporter didn't seem to suffer any technical difficulties. But yeah the report said the crowd was big in Rich Swann. I guess the kid is winning people in the tri-state over with his work at CZW and and EVOLVE.

Another thing he mentioned was that the crowd seemed to go dead after Austin Aries promo.

I think it's interesting that know that Sapolsky is out of ROH that alot of guys perhaps considered not good enough for ROH are getting a chance to shine in both DGGUSA and EVOLVE. It's just a shame both DGUSA and EVOLVE have a sort of "gimmick" vibe to them. Like, I enjoy the talent roster of both promotions, but I don't see them ever getting as big as ROH. I think they're going to be niche choices even to indy fans, although hopefully with iPPV indy wrestling is going to alot bigger then it used to be.

Actually I just read the live reports, I was too bust watch Scott Pilgrim vs. the world. 411mania actually covered the show (a move guaranteed to piss off the majority of their commentators) and what was interesting is that the reporter didn't seem to suffer any technical difficulties. But yeah the report said the crowd was big in Rich Swann. I guess the kid is winning people in the tri-state over with his work at CZW and and EVOLVE.

Another thing he mentioned was that the crowd seemed to go dead after Austin Aries promo.

I think it's interesting that know that Sapolsky is out of ROH that alot of guys perhaps considered not good enough for ROH are getting a chance to shine in both DGGUSA and EVOLVE. It's just a shame both DGUSA and EVOLVE have a sort of "gimmick" vibe to them. Like, I enjoy the talent roster of both promotions, but I don't see them ever getting as big as ROH. I think they're going to be niche choices even to indy fans, although hopefully with iPPV indy wrestling is going to alot bigger then it used to be.

I don't think Dragon Gate USA should ever try to be as big as RoH. They should just be a niche company. The Dragon Gate promotion is super busy in Japan, kicking ass and putting butts in their seats. To me, DGUSA should just be their tours to the States, two or three times a year, letting the core Japanese roster showcase their unique talents, and rub shoulders with some top US talent. The more they try to turn it into a 'real' promotion, the more it becomes just-another-American-indy fed. This show was a prime example of that starting to happen. They had a LOT of matches you could have easily seen in EVOLVE or CZW or any number of promotions. It didn't feel unique.

Been working through BOLA (check the first post in the thread, folks) since Saturday, watching a couple of matches at a time. It's a bit repetitive, being a tournament and all, but there's a lot of good stuff in there. I got up to the Chris Hero vs Akira Tozawa match before I left for work this morning.

It was incredible.

Chris Hero has gone down in my estimation lately, as most of his matches go way too long, but there's no denying he's very good. I struggled to see the appeal of Akira Tozawa when I first saw him, but he was a STAR in this match. An amazing fiery underdog babyface. It was the best of the PWG indy style, without going too long, or stretching believability by kicking out of too much. I loved the match.

In non US news (but I can't be arsed to start a new thread) Paul London & El Generico are coming to IPW:UK on December 5th, to be in a 3-tag team Round Robin tournament with a couple of top UK tag teams (both of whom impressed on the pre-shows of September's DG-UK shows. I'm in a wrasslin' mood, so I'll be checking it out. After watching BOLA, between London's antics with the singlet, and Generico's match with the afformentioned Tozawa... I'm into it.

• 3 weeks later...

So last week went to the ROH show and had a blast but this post isn't about that. This week went to a local show called Clash Wrestling. Check out the website if you want. http://www.clashwrestling.com

The show started with a comedy tag match between some typical heels and a babyface team that basically act gay. Very funny match though. The gay team ended up winning. My gf thought it was the most entertaining match of the night.

One of my favorite indy wrestlers of the area Tommy Treznik came out next and got on the microphone. He was probably one of the better talkers on the whole show. He said that he had an antidote for the elixer that Dave Manzo took last month for Super Strength.

The match began between Manzo and Treznik with Treznik yelling you don't have super strength. You think you do? Fine lets do a test of strength. Treznik sold him having super strength. The match was good and was my favorite of the night. Treznik went to hit him with a frying pan but it was blocked. Manzo then bent it up and curled it. The kids in front of me who was no older than 8 years old went crazy thinking that it was a steel pan. So funny! The match ended when some masked guy came out in a dark blue jumpsuit and double chokeslammed them.

Next up was the Bump N Uglies who are the Clash Tag Team Champions defending against Bryce Benjamin and Joey Marx who came out dancing and junk. Pretty entertaining match. Bryce and Joey are small agile guys who can do the flips and stuff in the ring. Somewhat flashy style while the BNU are big 300 pound brawlers who actually move well in the ring. Bryce and Joey ended up winning the match. Afterwards BNU tooks the belts and held them up. Then actually handed the belts over and said you deserve these. When they turned around BNU took them out. Beat on them for about 5 minutes before leaving.

The final match before intermission was a schedule street fight between Dragon Kreed and Austin Manix who is a member of Tommy Trezniks H3RD stable. Manix and Tommy were in the ring waiting but Kreed didn't show up. Tommy got on the mic saying that he knew why Kreed wasn't going to show up. Because he sent 2 of his minions to take him out at his home. Then Wrecking Ball who easily weighs over 400 pounds came out and said that his friend Kreed couldn't be here but the fans wanted a street fight and will get one. Manix and Wrecking Ball battled all over the trade center and even outside for a bit. This match even had a Twilight board game in its packaging smashed over Wrecking Balls head. Manix would win when they finally put Wrecking Ball thru a table. Not a good match as it went on too long.

After intermission the champion J. Miller came out on crutches with a broken leg. He was stripped of his title because he would be out for 8 months. The World Champion has gotten hurt every time a new champion has been crowned lately. The announcer even asked him if he felt the title was cursed. Miller said he didn't want to think so.

When things continued there was a womens match between Mena Libra, and Nevaeh with Truth Martini as the special guest referee. Truth is the CEO of Clash Wrestling and made this match. Not bad for a women's match. Even though I am not a fan of womens wrestling it was an ok match. Truth kept screwing Mena over until finally she made a pin and Truth wouldn't count it. She grabbed him by the leg and rolled him into a single leg crab while pinning Nevaeh until Truth tapped out and said 1-2-3, 1-2-3. She celebrated and Truth began to leave. He got a mic and said next month he would face Libra in a 1 on 1 match. Then he attacked her with his book from behind.

The main event was for the VACANT Clash Wrestling Title. Aces High Cameron Skye took on Gavin Quinn (GQ). Tyler Elkins a guy with a caveman gimmick came out on a crutch to support his friend Cameron Skye. Cameron Skye was about to win but had knocked the ref out. Elkins got in the ring and offered his crutch to Skye to use but he declined. When he went to turn into GQ he got hit by the crutch in the back knocking him down. GQ then kicked him in the jaw knocking him out. Elkins got out of the ring and left as the ref counted the 3 count in coherantly. GQ is the new Clash Heavyweight champion.

Overall not a great show but not bad. It was very family friendly which was cool. My girlfriend enjoyed this show more than the others we have been to because it didn't make her uncomfortable at all so that was good. She said she will go to this each month if I want to. So that is a plus. GF gave it 2 thumbs up. Check them out on Youtube if you guys want. They have been doing stuff with Chikara recently which has been very entertaining. Can't wait to go to the show in December either.

Watched PWG Curse of Guerrilla Island the other day. Another really good PWG event. Not quite up to the standards of Seven or BOLA Night 2, but a fine showing nonetheless. I really loved the atmosphere of PWG. They mic the crowd really well, so it sounds like a packed house of rabid fans. Match of the night for me was Ricochet vs El Generico. I've turned a corner on Ricochet. He showed a lot of charisma here to go with the flipz.

One week away from IPW:UK in Sittingbourne. Joining Generico & London on the card will be Eddie Edwards, taking on Mark Haskins. Haskins tours with Dragon Gate, so this sounds like an awesome match. Tickets are still available, so if you're in the area with nothing to do next Sunday, why not give it a whirl?

One week away from IPW:UK in Sittingbourne. Joining Generico & London on the card will be Eddie Edwards, taking on Mark Haskins. Haskins tours with Dragon Gate, so this sounds like an awesome match. Tickets are still available, so if you're in the area with nothing to do next Sunday, why not give it a whirl?

How far away is Sittingbourne from Bristol? :)

Archived