Supreme Wrestling Federation: Dark Days

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Excellent still have to read the whole gen supreme so psyched to get in on the ground floor with this one. Hope the creative juices keep running wild this time brother! Because that is Money!

Seconded. I missed out on your other SWF work (probably preoccupied with the GDS-Verse at the time), so I'm going to be keeping my eye on this one.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TEW%202010/Media/PWI/PWIEditorials.jpg

Is the SWF Pulling a Fast One on Fans?

Pro Wrestling Insider Editorial

by Desmond Hammer

Thursday, Week 2, January 2010

Just a few weeks ago, Richard Eisen suffered a heart attack.

Or maybe he didn't.

Confused? Welcome to the wacky world of professional wrestling.

Richard Eisen – as any wrestling fan could tell you – is the founder, owner and CEO of the Supreme Wrestling Federation. He also controls a series of corporate entities that fall under the Supreme Enterprises umbrella. Eisen is the mastermind and driving force behind the Supreme Empire. That empire touches every corner of the globe and reaps hundreds of millions of dollars in income every annum. The man is a legend in the pro wrestling business and well-regarded in business circles – several business schools have used his creation of a monopoly in the splintered wrestling world of the 1970s and 80s as a case study. Quite simply, Eisen is the most powerful and respected man in his industry.

So why would an individual in such a position conceivably fake an illness as serious as a heart attack?

Simply put, the wrestling business is built upon deception. It is a deception that almost all fans are aware of, yet willingly accept. Much the same as viewers realize their favorite television dramas are not “real”, wrestling fans accept the “work” accept of the business. With wrestling, the deception often goes deeper than it does with other forms of entertainment. The history of the business is replete with examples of promoters and wrestlers going to exception lengths to deceive fans, and sometimes even the wrestlers. If – and this is a big “if”, as there is nothing more than speculation at this point – the malaise suffered by Richard Eisen indeed turned out to be such a work, it would be one of the most notable in the history of professional wrestling.

Some credit here must be given to the community of dedicated professional wrestling fans on the World Wide Web – commonly referred to as the Internet Wrestling Community. This group tends to be a fairly jaded bunch – every “real world” incident in the business is looked upon as a possible work. Each incident is discussed and dissected. While some of the “logic” that is espoused would make the most voracious of conspiracy theorists blush, there is some investigative work that had to be admired. It was some arguments presented by fans on several different web forums that convinced this writer that there may have been more to this situation than is immediately apparent. The “evidence” is rather circumstantial, but there is enough of it to raise questions.

One of the primary causes for suspicion is the fact that the heart attack was reported on the main SWF.com website, but not on the corporate website used to communicate with sponsors and business partners. What makes it odd is that the main Supreme Wrestling Federation website is usually kept “kayfabe” - that is, maintaining the deception and providing “news” that typically forwards the on-air storylines. The website rarely acknowledges the business side of the promotion. Given that the owner of the promotion has rarely been an on-air character for the SWF, it immediately seems an odd way to communicate the situation. The Eisen health issue was also mentioned several times on air by the SWF announcing crew, another departure from the prototypical Supreme approach. Perhaps even more damning was the fact that when legitimate news sources picked up on the story, no one from within Supreme or the Eisen family would comment on the situation, even to simply acknowledge that the reports provided on the website and on-air were accurate.

The question of “why” comes down to one of motivation. What would motivate a man in Richard Eisen's situation to attempt or even consider such a deception? The most logic explanations of why come down to two basic reasons – succession and protection.

Succession isn't difficult to figure out – Richard Eisen is 55 years old. He has spent his entire adult life building the Supreme Empire into a global monstrosity. While some insiders believe that the man will never willingly cede control of the promotion he built, others believe he will indeed retire and enjoy the fruits of his life's labor. If that is to happen, the natural succession would be for Eisen to turn control of the SWF over to one of his two sons, both of whom work for the SWF. The idea of the two sons competing to control their father's promotion has already played out on-screen as part of a 2007 storyline that failed badly. In truth, “The Election” storyline completely bombed and became an albatross. It would also appear that Jerry Eisen, who primarily works on-screen as a color commentator, “won” as he was not only introduced on-screen as an interim authority figure for the SWF but also seems to have been given a significant degree of backstage control. It is not yet clear whether Jerry will deal with the business side. The biggest question is whether Jerry – or anyone – can fill the shoes of a legend of the business.

As for the idea of protection, consider the idea that Jerry Eisen is indeed running the Supreme Empire in place of his father. If this was indeed a test, what happens if Jerry should fail? And even fail badly? While the 33 year old is well-regarded and is considered to be relatively similar to his father in many ways, he is not his father. One has to believe that he will bring some changes to the top promotion in the wrestling world. What if those changes go over poorly with the fans? The possibility of Richard Eisen making a perfectly-timed “return to health” and triumphant return to hit the reset button on all of Jerry's changes could minimize and perhaps even undo the damage done in that situation.

One does end up questioning whether such a deception would be necessary at all, however. It seems a round-about way to get to where a straight-line could just as easily take you.

The Eisen family and the Supreme Empire are notoriously closed regarding internal issues, and this would certainly not fall into that category. As such, the truth about Richard Eisen's heart attack may never be known. What is certain is that the professional wrestling business will continue to be a business where nothing is quite what it seems and where there will never be an end to the drama.

I still got a floor seat to this one...back row, but at least I can see the Jumbotron and the ring if I stand in my seat when the event staff aren't looking.

Glad to see you back in the C-Verse, BP. I wasn't around for your first SWF dynasty, so I'm glad I'm getting in on this one.

Great opening article, really has me hooked on what the Eisen "Heart Attack" will bring.

A big thanks to jhd1 for the Pro Wrestling Insider banner. It looks great, and is a massive improvement over the crap one I managed to put together. The grpahics I manage to create end up looking like a 4-year old put it together on MS Paint... which is truthfully a bit insulting to the modern 4-year old, who is probably far more skilled on MS Paint than I am on Photoshop. The graphical contributions of jhd1 have been huge and I owe him a huge thanks.

The new stories, editorials, and recaps will take a bit to get through. I'm hoping to get one or two posted per day for about the next week. Need to "set the stage", so to speak. I hope you readers don't get frustrated with the build toward the first show. There should be another news story up later today.

Thanks to everyone has read and commented so far. Your support is always appreciated.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TEW%202010/Media/PWI/PWIEditorials.jpg

A New Logo for a New Era?

by Desmond Hammer

Thursday, Week 3, January 2010

In the world of marketing, “brand recognition” is key. It is forever a goal – difficult to achieve and even difficult to maintain. Yet its brand recognition that is one of the key factors that separates the “major brands” from the rest.

In the world of professional wrestling, the Supreme Wrestling Federation has achieved brand recognition. It is closing in on forty years of operation, with thirty of those being the clear top wrestling promotion in America. The name and logo are widely recognized, and to many, the SWF name is synonymous with professional wrestling in America. While the likes of Total Championship Wrestling and United States Pro Wrestling have made some serious gains in recent years, neither has come close to reaching that degree of mainstream recognition and may never achieve that.

Given the brand recognition that the Supreme Wrestling Federation enjoys, the decision to change things up cannot be a simple or quick one. Yet that is exactly what the SWF announced today.

Rather than make the announcement at the Supreme One headquarters based in Providence, the announcement was held at the iconic Manhattan Sports Garden. MSG has been host to many of the SWF's biggest moments throughout its long history. For the announcement, there were several hundred New York fans in attendance, as well as a large selection of the media. Jerry Eisen, who is running the promotion during his father's coalescence, hosted the proceedings.

There was an awful lot of pomp and circumstance to the occasion, considering that the intent was simply to unveil a new primary logo for the Supreme Wrestling Federation.

The decision to introduce a new logo should not be shocking, given the existing one had been used since the mid 1990s. What is surprising about the new logo is that it moves away from the SWF's traditional “Supreme blue” color. The new color scheme is black, blood red, and white accents.

Based on the reaction of the fans in attendance, the new logo was quite well received. There were a few who booed, but a small contingent of vocal contrarians is the norm for the SWF.

For those who believe the new logo is simply Jerry Eisen placing his own stamp on his father's promotion, that idea was quite quickly dispelled by Jerry himself. Before he was even questioned about that by the media in attendance (this write included), Jerry explained that the process of changing the logo was a carefully considered one. The SWF marketing department had first begun examining the possibility more than a year ago, with a large degree of market research undertaken. According to Jerry, the design for the "dark" logo was finalized in the fall of 2009, with the time-frame for the unveiling and transition decided upon shortly after. So it is most definitely not a "Jerry decision"... Although it was Jerry himself who brought up his father, any question on the topic of Richard Eisen were ignored and left unanswered.

For those who think that a logo change is a minor thing for a corporate entity as large and diverse as the Supreme Wrestling Federation, think again. According to one marketing analyst from New York who requested to remain anonymous, the SWF is taking a notable risk in making the change.

"Richard Eisen really understands marketing," the analyst noted. "The SWF is really proactive in terms of branding. They move a ton of merchandise every year. A ton. And everything that they sell, if you look - it has that SWF logo on it somewhere. Every T-shirt, every action figure, every key chain... That logo is a very prominent for them. Because of how well-known the promotion is, that logo is very well known and recognized. They are certainly taking a risk here. From the sound of it, they've done the research, so its probably a smart risk. Richard Eisen always takes smart risks."

Smart risks. Those two words encompass the overall business approach that Richard Eisen has taken over the past 38 years more accurately than seemingly possible from just two words.

The timing of the logo introduction seems an incredible coincidence. And a potentially unfortunate one. It seems likely that fans will connect the "dark" logo to the Jerry Eisen era, for good or ill. Jerry and the rest of the Supreme Wrestling Federation had best hope that the "dark" aspect of the logo doesn't come to represent a negative perception of the Jerry era down the road....

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TEW%202010/Logos/Promotions/SWF.jpg

New SWF "dark" logo

I'll be cheering along from the nose bleed section. :)

Glad to have you on board, D-mack. But having one of my favorite writers up in the nose bleeds is a bit inappropriate... talk to the concierge and see about getting a free seat upgrade.

And thanks for the offer, angeldelayette. We'll see what happens once this thing gets rolling proper.

Rumor Rumor on the Wall....

by Desmond Hammer

Thursday, Week 4, January 2010

Richard Eisen is not a man overburdened by sentimentality. Which is not to claim he does not respect history. The owner of the Supreme Wrestling Federation is known to respect both the history of his own promotion and the professional wrestling business as a whole. By accounts from those lucky enough to sit down with the man, he apparently loves to discuss the early history of professional wrestling in America and holds a great respect for the territorial era, which he is ironically credited with only single-handedly destroying.

By most measure, it is apparent that Richard Eisen respects history. He simply has no interest in reliving that history.

The lack of sentimentality by Eisen, and consequently by the SWF, has often vexed fans. Professional wrestling fans, like most fans, are nostalgic and the idea of a former hero (or villain, even) from the past making a triumphant return is a delicious one. Yet it is one that simply does not happen. Looking over the long list of stars that the Supreme Wrestling Federation has been home to over its nearly forty years - many of whom were made into stars by the promotion - one thing becomes apparent... once someone leaves, they do not return.

Sam Strong. Dread. Rip Chord. Bruce The Giant. Nemesis. Sean McFly. Even Sam Keith. Once they leave, whether its on good terms or ill, they don't come back. The Supreme Wrestling Federation moves on.

The reason behind this approach - according to insiders and those who know Eisen well - is not so much a lack of sentimentality but rather an overall business approach. Eisen believes that it is the promotion itself which is the star of the show. The true draw. The individual talents might get the cheers and the jeers, but they only matter so much. At the end of the day, anyone can be replaced. And once that wrestler has been replaced and a new star created, the benefits to bringing back a star of the past are outweighed by the negatives. At least in the estimation of Richard Eisen.

What does this have to do with the current SWF under Jerry Eisen? As reported previously on Pro Wrestling Insider over the past few weeks, there are growing reports that the SWF is in negotiations with a "major past star" to make a return. Buying into the rumor mill can be a dangerous proposition. Any wrestling journalist finds that out quickly, and often in "the hard way". However, there is occasionally a rumor that cannot be ignored. This is typically because it is sourced from trustworthy individuals and with enough detail that the legitimacy seems sound. It can even be a "gut feeling" about the rumor. This particular rumor has this writer buying in.

What adds another layer of intrigue to this rumor is that, if it is indeed founded on fact, it would represent a fairly significant departure from the norm for the Supreme Wrestling Federation. Though nothing is official yet, this is already being bandied about as Jerry Eisen "putting his stamp" on the Supreme Wrestling Federation and differentiating himself from his father. However, some information I have recently become privy to suggests that is not the case. The information suggests that not only has communication between the promotion and the "major past star" been on-going for several months (well prior to Jerry taking over) but that the negotiations are being done with the "full blessing of Papa Eisen". If that's accurate, it also begs the question of how much control Jerry really has and also how "ill" Richard Eisen truly is.

Attempting to analyze the current happenings of the Supreme Wrestling Federation is far more frustrating at the moment than typical - and it is typically frustrating enough. At this point, it is crystal clear that no one outside of the Supreme Empire knows exactly who is pulling the strings. Whether the entire Richard Eisen situation is a real concern or simply a work remains a hot topic of discussion throughout the wrestling world, with many insiders offering vastly differing opinions. Reliable information is even more difficult than normal to come by.

Even if this rumored deal falls through, or was never more than a rumor in the first place, it does seem as though there will be some changes with Jerry Eisen in charge. How sweeping those changes are - and whether they are truly his changes at all - remains to be seen.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TEW%202010/Media/SWF%20com/SWFcomRecaps.jpg

SWF.com Monthly Recaps

January 2010

A New Eisen in Charge

After Richard Eisen took ill, Jerry Eisen has stepped up to the plate and taken on the thankless job of running the Supreme Empire. The eldest Eisen son has also taken on the role of Acting Commissioner to help guide the Supreme Wrestling Federation through a difficult period. One of the many difficulties that Jerry will face is his younger brother, Eric. The younger Eisen won the SWF World Heavyweight championship from the popular Jack Bruce at Christmas Clash in December.

Eric has been a new man since his return from the serious knee injury that sidelined him for some eighteen months. Its not just the added muscle or his aggressive new striking, but the new overall attitude. To some fans, it borders on arrogance. The champion is already butting heads with his older brother over who he feels should be the number one contender to his title. "Double E" does not look like he'll be too accommodating as the SWF champion, nor likely easy to dethrone.

Too Much Pressure

Throughout the three quarters of 2009, Jack Bruce faced pressure like no other champion in the long and stories history of the Supreme Wrestling Federation. Tormented continually by a mystery man, the now former-champion was pushed to his limit before finding out the mystery man was the returning Eric Eisen, only to lose the World Heavyweight championship to him.

Vowing that "Show Time cannot be broken", Bruce is clearly determined to regain the championship that he still regards as his. It will not be easy. Eisen is no longer the skinny underdog kid he once was. Perhaps more importantly, the mental and physical toll of the past nine months is clearly showing on "The Long Island Angel". Losing the SWF World Heavyweight championship has only pushed him closer to the edge.

Bruce received his rematch against Eisen at When Hell Freezes Over 2010. Although the challenger came out flying, Eisen was able to weather the early storm, wear Bruce down, and then surprise him late with some vicious striking. It is clear that Eric Eisen had complimented his new found physique and confidence with a newly developed skillset to match. The question remains of what Jack Bruce can do to adapt.

From Russia with Rage

The Soviet Science Experiment. The Moscow Machine. The Russian Express. Unstoppable. The Most Frightening Man to Ever Step into the SWF Ring.

Call him whatever you want, the simple fact is that Marat Khoklov is a monster. He is a 7'3", 425 pound behemoth chiseled out of granite. He is a comic book villain made flesh. Yet its not the mountains of muscle nor the epic power that makes Khoklov truly frightening. No, it's a ferocious temper that can erupt at any moment. Given his size and power, the blinding rage that overtakes Khoklov is truly awe-inspiring and fear-inducing.

That rage has already cost Khoklov, as he kicked off the month of January by getting disqualified against Robbie Retro. The Russian would not break an illegal choke hold and referee Shane Stones had no choice but to call for the bell. Unfortunately, Khoklov was not done and he continued to viciously batter Retro for several minutes, leaving the young fan favorite a broken mess. Retro has been recovering since and the Russian monster put the entire Supreme Wrestling Federation on notice.

Christian Faith has never been a man to back down from a challenge, and the Supreme Legend has taken it upon himself to teach Khoklov just how things work in the Supreme Empire. It appears that Faith may finally have found a challenge too great to overcome, as he has been simply overwhelmed by the monster thus far. It appears that the "Iron Man" of the SWF may have finally bitten off more than he can chew... Just don't expect Faith to back down.

A Tenacious Duo

A tag team cannot be taken seriously unless they have an actual team name, at least according to Duane Fry.

Whether they were listening to Fry's sage advice or celebrating winning the SWF World Tag Team championships together in December, the combination of Jack Giedroyc and Valiant took a team moniker. Henceforth, the duo shall be known as Team Tenacity.

It is a fitting name, given the tough and hard-hitting approach the pair have. Fortunately they decided again taking Fry's suggested name "The Long Haired Hippie Champions".

The duo already hold a unique place in SWF history as they are the first full-time team to have two managers. Dawn the Cheerleader has been managing Jack Giedroyc for several years now, and lovely newcomer Hannah has been in Valiant's corner since last year. While there have been short-term pairings in the past where each wrestler had a manager at the time - such as Brandon James and Runaway Train two years ago - it has never happened with a permanent team. So far, the double-manager system has worked quite well, simply doubling the amount of eye candy for the male fans. It does create the question of whether all four can remain on the same page, however.

The tenacious double duo should keep the SWF tag team ranks interesting for the near future...

A King Returns

by Desmond Hammer

Thursday, Week 1, February 2010

Not every wrestling promotion in America likes to actively promote its history. At least not its entire history. Total Championship Wrestling seems content with allowing some of its more cringe-inducing wrestle-crap moments from its Hollyweird days to be forgotten, even though those moments were some of the most important in the early history of the promotion. United States Pro Wrestling does not often acknowledge its pre-Stong period, when the likes of Giant Redwood and Jim Force were the biggest stars rather than midcard liabilities.

For all the many issues that cause such consternation for fans, the Supreme Wrestling Federation has a strong respect for its own history. There are times when that respect becomes a bit revisionist, but Richard Eisen has at least seen fit to not erase large chunks of his promotions nearly forty year history. That history is often pointed to by fans as one of the greatest aspects about the SWF, with references to the past often generating great cheers from the crowd.

That was clearly evident this week on SWF Supreme TV. When Acting Commissioner Jerry Eisen announced the return of the King of the Squared Circle tournament, the Illinois fans erupted in joy.

The history of the tournament goes back to 1976, though it's a spotty history at best. As many years were skipped, this will be the 17th incarnation of the KOTSC. Rather beloved by fans, it is a bit ironic that it is the fans who have given the tournament more importance than its ever really been given by the the Supreme Wrestling Federation.

Let's take a bit of a run through history...

The King of the Squared Circle was introduced in late 1975 as a single-elimination format running through the last few months of the year before the giant trophy was won by Mayhem Midden in the finals in January, 1976. The win and crown would be a highlight of Midden's long career in Supreme. It is unclear exactly what lead to Richard Eisen introducing the tournament. Such tournaments were quite common in the early territorial days and prior. The would often run over the course of a weekend and they were a way for local promoters to run what amounted to super shows, bringing in the biggest names they could afford to make the event "big". However, few of these became regular events or had much continuity. Perhaps Eisen introduced the SWF tournament as a nod to these. Or perhaps it was intended to function essentially as a midcard title, as the SWF had only the world championship and the tag titles at the time. The early incarnations of the KOTSC were focused on the youth of the promotion.

The following two tournaments were won by young monster heel Corporal Doom. The 1978 version introduced the concept of the King earning a title shot in addition to the trophy and crown. Although Doom didn't win the SWF World Heavyweight championship in the title opportunity afforded him by the 1978 KOTSC victory, he did well enough that he earned a return chance months later which saw him dethrone Micky Starr for the belt.

The tournament somewhat went off the tracks in 1979 and 1980. Those tournaments were won by Dusty Streets and Sid Streets, respectively. Both were seen as up-and-coming stars by the fans, so they had no issue with it. Richard Eisen, reportedly, was not too happy with booker Rocky Streets putting his kids over in successive tournaments, however - which would seem quite ironic some twenty-five years down the road. Whatever the reason, the King of the Squared Circle tournament was abandoned for several years.

It was brought back in 1984. It was a platform for the monstrous Dread to tear through a series of opponents as he won the tournament to claim the trophy and crown. He would defeat Sam Strong to become the SWF World Heavyweight champion when he received his title shot. The tournament then disappeared for another four years.

It was 1989 when it returned for a one-year run. Christian Faith was the reason. And the winner. It would take a few years, but the young giant-killer would eventually become the SWF World Heavyweight champion as well.

The King of the Squared Circle disappeared again until 1994. The SWF was heading toward something of a "golden age" for the quality of in-ring action, which was highlighted by Sean McFly putting on great match after great match on his way to a victory. This edition of the tournament is widely considered one of the finest in the SWF's history due to the sheer match quality. One year was skipped and in 1996, it was another burgeoning star who claimed the tournament win. The intense brawler Nemesis was the champion that year.

The period of 1997-1999 were skipped for the King of the Squared Circle tournament and that's probably not a bad thing. The SWF was in pretty conservative period at that point. Things were changing by 2000 when the tournament was brought back. That change was highlighted by the victory of the powerhouse babyface Skull DeBones. DeBones would become a two-time winner in 2002, with Enforcer Roberts winning in 2001. They were not awarded with world title shots, but chances at the North American championship. The same would be true of two younger stars who won – Remo Richardson in 2004 and Eric Eisen in 2005. The win by Eisen was notable in that it was the first time the tournament was moved to February-March.

Remo won a second time in 2007, joining the likes of Corporal Doom and Skull DeBones as the only two-time winners. The win truly established Remo as a true star in the SWF, in large part because the 2007 edition of the KOTSC was perhaps the most star-loaded in the history of the tournament. The expectation of many fans after the victory was a face turn and a world title win for Remo, but neither happened. He eventually faced Jack Bruce late in the year but came away without the SWF World Heavyweight Championship.

Displaying the kind of consistent inconsistency that frustrates SWF fans, the tournament focus switched back to younger talent again 2008. The win went to Marc DuBois, who received no title shot at all, but did wear the crown and carry around the trophy for the better part of a year afterward.

In announcing the 2010 edition, Jerry Eisen did note that the winner of the 2010 King of the Squared Circle tournament would definitely receive a shot at the SWF World Heavyweight championship. The finale will be at the Awesome Impact pay per view. Of the eight finalists, three have been preselected. They are Remo, Lobster Warrior, and a "surprise participant". The remaining five spots will be determined by a series of qualifying matches.

While the fans are clearly excited for the event, it appears that the focus is once again not on the youth. Given the number of younger talents in the SWF who could use the kind of boost that a King of the Squared Circle victory provides, that is disappointing. Dependent on who the "mystery participant" is, the favorite appears to be Remo. Should he prove victorious, Remo would grab a unique place in SWF history and further cement the certainty that he will at some point be the SWF World Heavyweight Champion.

Although its use has varied over the past three and a half decades, the King of the Squared Circle tournament has provided the legions of Supreme Wrestling Federation fans with great entertainment and action over the years. And perhaps that simple reason is why it has maintained a warm spot in the hearts of those fans. For as complicated as some try to make this business at times, that's really all it ever comes down to – being entertaining. As Richard Eisen himself once said, there is no secret to Supreme's success... Its just about entertaining those fans. And more than anything else, that is the history and legacy of the Supreme Wrestling Federation.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TEW%202010/Belts/SWF/SwfTrophy.jpg

The original 1976 King of the Square Circle trophy

Wow...a superb writeup about KOTSC. And it's weird...in my '77 C-Verse game, I gave Corporal Doom the crown that year, too. I also wrote in a free title shot for the winner a year into the game.

Weird similarities, but I thought it was cool. I'm excited at seeing what the return of KOTSC will bring. I find myself checking the boards constantly for the next BP article in this.

Keep up the awesome work, sir.

-TLLK3

Uh, that's Remo Richardson, not Remmington...

Otherwise, awesome as ever.

Hush your face and get back on the other side of the Tuesday Night War already!

:-)

Thanks dude. Knew Remmington didn't sound round but I posted before I double checked. Poor Remo is already getting disrespected by the booker... I'll have to make him (and James Casey) feel better by having him squash Rich Money repeatedly...

Wow...a superb writeup about KOTSC. And it's weird...in my '77 C-Verse game, I gave Corporal Doom the crown that year, too. I also wrote in a free title shot for the winner a year into the game.

Weird similarities, but I thought it was cool. I'm excited at seeing what the return of KOTSC will bring. I find myself checking the boards constantly for the next BP article in this.

Keep up the awesome work, sir.

-TLLK3

I think using the tournament to put over younger talent (almost as a midcard title before the SWF had one) and rewarding the winner with a title shot is just sound, simple booking. So I'm not that surprised that someone else used the same approach as well.

Glad you are enjoying.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TEW%202010/Media/PWI/PWIHome.jpg

News & Notes: DVD Sales Update

Thursday, Week 3, Februar 2010

The Supreme Wrestling Federation's successful Supreme Video division announced this week that total sales of “The Wars” DVD set has exceeded the two million units mark. The 2.5 million units mark is expected to be reached within weeks. It seems almost certain that the video will become the top-selling wrestling video of all-time within the next few months.

Released in November to a huge amount of hype from the Supreme Empire, the DVD set became a hot-ticket item during the Christmas season. The one million units mark was reached on December 24th, actually. Contrary to projections, sales continued strong since Christmas and have actually spiked. Analysts point to a wrestling industry that is trending upward on overall business as a prime factor behind the strong sales. Another factor is that the totals include sales of both versions of the set – the 5-DVD full set, which includes four documentaries and three discs of matches, and the stripped down 2-disc set, which has only two documentaries and one disc of matches.

“The Wars” documents the two-year war between four small wrestling promotions in the Tri-State area - Danger And Violence Extreme, Rapid Pro Wrestling, Philly Power Pro Wrestling, and the Xtreme Federation of Wrestling. A period known as the “East Coast Wars”. All four promotions were on the cutting edge of the wrestling business, featuring innovative action and great young talent. DAVE and XFW both had a hardcore approach with violence levels rarely seen in American wrestling. Each promotion pushed the others to excel. Despite the relatively short duration of the “war”, it became a key period in American professional wrestling history as its influence was significant. One only has to look at the current stars in the SWF, TCW, and USPW who were part of that war to realize the talent that was involved.

Amongst fans, the East Coast Wars have been mythologized. It is a period that has taken on epic proportions, called “perfect period” and “golden age” by some fans. In truth, it had its flaws just like any other era. Its long-term influence has been significant, however.

How Supreme Video was able to put together the DVD and acquire the footage rights is a story unto itself. The war ended in early 1998 as Danger And Violence Extreme triumphed, forcing the closure of the other three. DAVE owner Phil Vibert was always an astute businessman, and when his promotion won the war, he made sure to acquire the licensing rights, trademarks, and most importantly, the video libraries of the fallen trio. If the “East Coast Wars” had occurred a decade or more earlier, there might be limited footage available. Because it was mid-90s, every show of all four promotions was recorded. There is variation in the quality, but the video exists. When Vibert bought out DAVE at the start of 1997, he immediately began working with a small video company called Tri-State Hardcore Video, which was owned by a friend, a one-armed young man named “Lucky” Davis. TSHC released every DAVE event on tape and DVD. After the war ended, Vibert leased the company the rights to the entire Vibert video library. For almost the next decade, the video company released compilation tapes and DVDs of the “The East Coast Wars”. There was an unfortunate – almost comical – decline in the quality of the releases. Not just in the matches, angles, and interviews that the compilations featured, but also the overall production quality. The early releases are still seen as collector's items, but the later releases are not as sought-after.

After Vibert closed DAVE in early 2007, the lease agreement for the video library ceased. While the wrestling world watched the talent roster of America's number three promotion being fought over and snapped up, there was a far quieter drama unfolding. Although apparently loathe to do so, Phil Vibert was shopping around the entire Vibert library – the combined footage from DAVE, RPW, PPPW, and XFW. The video history of the East Coast Wars and much more. “Lucky” Davis was reportedly desperate to land the footage, as Tri-State Hardcore Video could hardly survive without it. “Lucky” didn't win this fight and his company didn't survive.

The victor was an unlikely one – Jerry Eisen. Long known as a fan of the East Coast Wars, he perhaps should not have seemed unlikely. Jerry was often spotted at shows during that era, and was rumored to be part of the The Hardcore Crew, a large group of fans who traveled together to virtually every show during the East Coast Wars. After purchasing the entire Vibert library for an undisclosed sum (rumored to well in excess of a million dollars), Jerry leased the video library to Supreme Video. The SWF color commentator and current Interim Commissioner worked directly with the SWF video division as they put the DVD together.

When rumors of project circulated, many fans and even wrestling insiders were skeptical. There were concerns that there wouldn't be enough respect given to the important of the East Coast Wars, or that the view would be too SWF-centric, or even that the history would be too revisionist. None of those concerns were borne out, and no one outside the Supreme Empire realized the scope of the project. The SWF itself is really only mentioned with any frequency in the “Legacy of the Wars” documentary, but even that focuses more strongly on DAVE than Supreme. What is perhaps most surprising about the release is that breadth and quality of interviews that were used in the documentaries. Ana Garcia shows off some fantastic journalistic chops as she conducts interviews with many key players in the wars, including most everyone who is not currently under contract to either TCW or USPW. And even those talents get some interview time using old footage from prior interviews.

While PWI.com's News & Notes section is not in the habit of promoting wrestling DVDs to its readers – that is the prerogative of the by the Reviews section – it has to be said that this release truly does belong in the collection of every wrestling fan. Its been said that to understand where we are today, we have to understand where we've come from. And for wrestling fans today, that means having an understanding of the East Coast Wars and its profound influence.

Given the success of this release, Supreme Video staff are rumored to be already working on another large-scale project... the History of Danger and Violence Extreme. Although he's currently working with Canadian golden Combat, Phil Vibert is strongly rumored to be involved. While it could prove difficult, one insider has stated that Supreme Video is determined to put together an event better project than what they managed with “The Wars”.

The current best-selling video release in wrestling history also comes from the Supreme Video catalog. It is “Power: The Sam Strong Story”. The 3-disc set was released in March of 2006. That project was put together with the help of the legend himself, who had left TCW in late 2005 but had not yet purchased United States Pro Wrestling. It is rumored that Strong actually needed the money he received from the Power project to fund his purchase of his own promotion. One of the finest DVD sets ever put together, “Power” has been topped by “The Wars”. And it will be toppled from its perch as the top-selling wrestling video release sometime in the next few months.

Surprised I missed this but now I am on board, I am sure people don't mind that you are back with the SWF because you did SWF in 08 so its only appropriate that you try to do one with 2010. I am on board as usuall and I can't wait to see what you have in store for this project!

Long-time BP42 readers may note that I've done the DVD release thing a few times now. Its an idea that I keep going back to as it seems an obvious way to keep pieces of wrestling history relevant. I am quite obviously not above being repetitive.

Bring back DAVE!? :)

I'm going to bite my tongue, as I don't want to give away anything too specific on where things are headed. I will say that all of the articles so far have been done for a purpose. They aren't just filler. Each one gives a little bit of backstory or information that I feel is pertinent.

Surprised I missed this but now I am on board, I am sure people don't mind that you are back with the SWF because you did SWF in 08 so its only appropriate that you try to do one with 2010. I am on board as usuall and I can't wait to see what you have in store for this project!

Thanks Taker. Glad to have you on board.

As I've mentioned a couple of times, I was pretty hesitant to go back to the SWF after having such a well-regarded run with Generation Supreme. Its odd - I prefer TCW as a promotion, yet I enjoy writing for Supreme more. It just feels like... home.

Well there goes Mitch Naess' business plan for the next 7 seven years.

I'm not sure Naess has a 7 week plan, let alone a 7 month one... and he's gonna hate Supreme even more as he lost a few of his "DAVE Version 2.0 Stars of the Future"....

Actually, as I think about it, a renewed interest in the East Coast Wars era and even DAVE might bode well for Pittsburgh Steel Wrestling.

Screw DaVE, be original and bring back RPW or something. A whole brand built around The Shooting Star Division would be kick-ass.

The immediate problem with focusing on any of the other three East Coast Wars promotions is that... well... they lost. Given that it survived another decade beyond the end of the war and became the #3 promotion in America, Danger And Violence Extreme is far far more relevant. You could certainly paint one of the other three as being the most innovative and influential, but its tough to get past the whole "they still lost" thing... Though I do agree that resurrecting DAVE has been done enough and doesn't really feel fresh...

At this point, I'm not going to say exactly which direction I'm taking or why the release of a DVD set that chronicles the East Coast Wars is a relevant thing. There a lot of reasons it could be and a lot of possible directions to take. I do have to admit that having the thought of having Jerry Eisen and a bunch of SWF talent cede from the Supreme Empire to reform DAVE as separate brand warring with the SWF would be fun to write....

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TEW%202010/Media/PWI/PWIHome.jpg

A Return for the Ages

by Desmond Hammer

Thursday, Week 3, February 2010

You can't go home again, at least according to Thomas Wolfe. But you cannot blame people for trying.

For several weeks, the Supreme Wrestling Federation has been dropping hints that "something big was coming... someone big". As over twenty-five thousand fans in Boston Station waited to see who the hyped "mystery participant" in the King of the Squared Circle tournament would be, the immediate reaction to the familiar strains of "Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor was shock. Everyone seemed to have the same recognition and thought... "It couldn't be... could it?" When Sean McFly did indeed appear through the entranceway, the rabid Boston fans quite simply lost their minds. The hometown hero making an unexpected return (at least to those who don't follow the dirt sheets) to the promotion where he became a star was a big moment for those in attendance.

After more than a decade away from the Supreme Wrestling Federation, Sean McFly has changed little from the humble workhorse who left to work in Canada. He still has the same 236-pound build, athletic but not quite ripped. The white streak in the hair is still there, but the face has aged a bit. Now 36 years old, he still looks boyish and has that demure, almost shy smile as the fans go insane and chant his name.

Once McFly stepped into the ring against Paul Huntingdon, it was clear that he has lost nothing. He may, in fact, have improved. The skills that made him such a fan favorite are all still there - the silken smooth way he does everything, the diverse offense, the displays of athleticism, the way he can sell everything. While the match was not quite a squash, it was clear from the onset that Huntingdon didn't have a chance. McFly took the victory after a Dolorean Driver, as he moved forward in the King of the Squared Circle tournament and instantly became the favorite to win it for the second time.

The moment at Boston Station culminated a long and unique journey for McFly. "The American Tiger" has taken a career path which will never likely be duplicated.

He was just 18 years old when he was spotted by SWF scouts and immediately brought into the SWF University. To say he was impressive would be an understatement. He was considered a true natural, a prodigy even. Some even went so as to call the kid the most natural professional wrestler they had ever seen. Despite the obvious talent, expectations were not that high when he graduated from the training camp and joined the main roster, as youngsters were typically expected to “put their time in” before receiving any sort of push. The odds were against McFly succeeding, if simply for the fact that he is not skilled with the microphone. Awkward would be the kindest way to describe a Sean McFly promo. While a natural performer in the ring, he showed a natural tendency to freeze up went asked to talk. He also lacked the natural charisma that many SWF wrestlers possess. Rather, McFly had a kind of "aw-chucks" humility that fans found oddly compelling. Between that and his fantastic in-ring ability, he won them over against the odds and became the youngest SWF World Heavyweight champion in history.

McFly's had a natural ability to put on a great match against almost any opponent, but it was matches against Sam Keith, Bruce the Giant, Dennis Butler, and Nemesis, as well as with Christian Faith, that were simply fantastic. McFly, Keith, and Faith are particularly credited with ushering in a “golden age” for the SWF in the ring. Wrestlers were given more time and freedom than ever before and the results were matches that are still considered the greatest in the promotions long history. That ended in early 1997 when Nemesis used that freedom to put on a bloody brawl with a young wrestler named Tommy Cornell. The match quality did not simply disappear entirely, but it was put on a leash and the decline was notable.

Were those restrictions put in place by SWF management a factor in McFly's decision to leave in 1999? Was it the challenge and appeal presented by working with the legendary Stone family? Or was it simply a desire to be closer to his new wife? Sean McFly himself has never really clarified and given that he seems a fairly private man, he may never do so. It is the experience of this writer that such decisions are rarely made on one factor, but typically several. There are also rumors that the decision may have partly been made by the Supreme Wrestling Federation, and specifically Richard Eisen. It has been suggested – and never definitively confirmed – by some SWF insiders that the promotion made little effort to resign McFly when his contract came up in 1999, with McFly's overall limitations as a character being the major factor.

Whatever the reasons he left, Sean McFly soon became part of North of the Border Pro Wrestling. He became almost as beloved in Canada as the Stone boys as he put on uncountable classic matches. The highlight of which, for this writer, was the unbelievable 120-minute submission match with Johnny Bloodstone in 2007. So why would McFly choose to leave? With apologies, dear reader, I am reduced once again to speculation and rumor-mongering. The rumors have, for some time, suggested that McFly's decision was motivated by ambition.

Despite being one of the nicest gentlemen in the business, Sean McFly is not without ambition. In this case, the ambition is not for himself so much but for North of the Border Pro Wrestling as a whole. McFly has reportedly been frustrated over the past few years over the refusal of the promotion to even attempt expansion or to look to the United States. “The American Tiger” may not be alone in this ambition, as NOTBPW star Johnny Bloodstone has also made some comments during media interviews in recent years. The belief amongst these men is that no other wrestling promotion in the world can offer the level of pure wrestling that North of the Border can. And yet fans outside of Canada have to actively seek it out and have no opportunity to see it live. Moreover, with most of the main players in the promotion being over 35 years old, the window for expansion before a rebuilding period is required could be closing. Dan Stone is apparently simply dismissive of such suggestions, however. His concerns and ambitions do not expend beyond the borders of Canada. Victoria Stone, head booker of NOTBPW and wife of Sean McFly, is known to be more ambitious and was long considered the front-runner to succeed her father. In recent years, however, it is said that Dan Sr favors the idea of his promotion passing to either Dan Jr or Jeremy. Both of whom share his isolationist ideology. Another suggestion I have read regarding McFly is that he has grown tired of the quality expectations that NOTBPW fans have. Anything less than a great match is considered a disappointment on any given night, regardless of the opponent. That kind of constant expectation could be as exhausting as the heavy travel schedule of the SWF.

Since we clearly do not know exactly why Sean McFly left NOTBPW, its time to speculate about why he chose the return to the SWF. It could be notable that in late 2007 and early 2008, there were strong rumors that McFly was considering leaving NOTBPW. With his contract coming up at that point, he reportedly talked to both the SWF and TCW. Richard Eisen was not interested at that point, and things didn't work with Total. Cornell and McFly are supposedly quite friendly, and that match is a true dream match for modern wrestling. What kept a deal from happening? Again by rumor, but McFly reportedly was not completely convinced of the TCW project at that point and knew that signing with Cornell's promotion would burn his bridges with Richard Eisen. So McFly instead stayed put for another two years.

Talent-wise, Total Championship Wrestling is in a better position today than they were in early 2008. However, the finances aren't there for Cornell at the moment and while the common belief throughout industry insiders is that the promotion will recover its financial stability soon enough, it means that signing a star like McFly to the kind of contract he deserves simply isn't possible. Only unreasonable and unrealistic fans would suggest that a star the caliber of McFly should accept a contract significantly below his market value.

An interesting aspect to Sean McFly's return to the Supreme Wrestling Federation is that it is very likely to be seen by fans as a move representative of Jerry Eisen's time in charge of the Supreme Empire. It appears this perception is not accurate at all, as the deal was at the very least approved by Richard Eisen, if not actually initiated. Such perceptions are difficult to change once they have been established, and one only has to take a quick look at any wrestling forum since McFly's return this week to see that connection has been made.

There can be no doubt that the Supreme Wrestling Federation is a very different place that it was in the mid 1990s when Sean McFly was one of its biggest stars. Still, its difficult to imagine that he won't find similar levels of success to what he achieved in the past. And for Supreme fans, it is the kind of return home that they could only dream of in the past.

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k235/Bigpapa42_2006/Wrestling/TEW%202010/Workers/Other%20Workers/SeanMcFly.jpg

Sean McFly

Archived