Stats for a boxing game

Synticha

Hi!

I've been working on a boxing manager game for a few days now. I'm in a point where I need to choose that what stats the boxers should have. Here is my current list (And yes I have stolen from WMMA):

boxer
parent_type = /mob
var
	ID

firstname
	surname
	shortname
	nickname
	nicknamepos
	birthmonth
	birthyear
	//gender
	nationality
	hometown
	status
	biography

weight
	height

stance
	style
	style2
	guard

headcond
	bodycond
	legscond
	armscond

//Abilities

//General

reach
	cut_immunity
	conditioning
	strenght
	mobility
	reflexes
	chin //leuka KO:ta vastaan
	resilience //iskunsietokyky
	stun_recovery
	recovery
	consistency
	decication
	potential

//Left hand
	lpower
	ljab
	lcross //straight
	lhook
	luppercut
	lshortstraight
	lcrosscounter
	lhalfuppercut
	loverhand
	lcheckhook

//Right hand
	rpower
	rjab
	rcross //straight
	rhook
	ruppercut
	rshortstraight
	rcrosscounter
	rhalfuppercut
	roverhand
	rcheckhook

//Defence
	slip
	bob
	block
	coverup
	clinch
	sway

//Marketability
	charisma
	interviews
	looks
	menace
	aura
	disposition

//Other
	combinations
	handspeed
	experience
	killerinstict
	gameplan
	heart
	list/namevalue

If someone could give me help about these I'd be rather happy. The point is that I can't decide that which of these are useless and what I missed.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've been wanting a good boxing manager game for a long time. Will it be from the perspective of a promoter (IE the business side of things) or will you manage a specific number of fighters careers? I'd love to see some combination of both.

no offense but those stats look like you ripped them off from WMMA...

If you read the Original post he says that...

I've been working on a boxing manager game for a few days now. I'm in a point where I need to choose that what stats the boxers should have. Here is my current list (And yes I have stolen from WMMA):

"Dirty (Boxing)" maybe (to represent how well the fighter is at covering up performing the DQable stuff like stomping on feet, headbutting, below the belt shots, etc.)? I'd also add a "Footwork" stat, using Mobility to cover their ability to move quickly around the ring (and thus, how able they are at following up on a stunned/staggered opponent) and Footwork covering both defensive movement to stay off the ropes and out of corners and offensive movement to put the opponent into such positions. "Counter" (their ability to counter a successfully dodged/blocked punch) might be worth adding.

Here is a question for you fellas... Would you find it entertaining if your boxers had to begin from amateur matches? And mostly those with positive records of the amateur boxers would continue to the pro matches. The other question is that would you matter too much for you if there wouldn't be a premade database but that you'd have to generate a new one or get one of the databases generated by others.

Edit. Oh, and just wanted to inform that my current database structure can generate ~7000 characters in just about five minutes. The time probably wont even go up if I add records and background to be generated.

• 3 weeks later...

Well here it is... A test version of the boxer database. Just click new game, choose the amount of boxers etc. and press begin. Wait until it loads and then click to a name on the right to look the boxers info.

Download from here!

I'm not sure if this works but it should run by running the .exe file! I hope that you tell me about the bugs you will probably find! And please don't complain about the height and weight being non-relevant to each other... (Gives funny super fat people etc...)

Good that it works :D I was really scared about your first post :D. Thank you and if you see any problems to your eyes (like the colors of texts or something) just tell me! And this isn't the final version of course!

thought I'd gotten away with no-one seeing the first post :p

Colours are fine on my eyes, visually it's good

Looks good. May I note that the majority of the records generated in my DB would be considered cans by modern boxing standards - it's not like MMA where guys can have Chris Lytle-esque records and still be considered good fighters - if you drop below, say, 20-3, you would no longer be considered a top fighter. Look at the fighter's you've heard of - the Paqiaos and the Floyd Mayweather Jrs - Manny is 57-3-2, and Floyd is 41-0. The way boxing works records wise is totally different to MMA, which is what a lot of your records are clsoer to.

Just some constructive criticism - it's a cool bit of a kit regardless :)

Oh! Just wanted to add that I'd be glad if people could make lists of good names for the AI gyms. I need quite a list of them to not have two with the same name. Also a list of first names and surnames would be great (No need for American, Finnish or Japanese names). If someone wants to do make these kinda lists just send them over to me in a .txt file so I can get them right to the game. And please do the lists of like in the games DATA/General folder. Peace out!

I set up a "site" for the game. The site is <a href="http://www.byond.com/members/Syntty/" rel="external nofollow">here</a> and you'll find the game's forum from the right side of the screen. The site is used as both, my blog and as the game's "website". The forums require registration and I surely don't expect any registrations for the forum but it would be great if people who are interested to the game would register and write.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Synticha" data-cite="Synticha" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="29684" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I set up a "site" for the game. The site is <a href="http://www.byond.com/members/Syntty/" rel="external nofollow">here</a> and you'll find the game's forum from the right side of the screen. The site is used as both, my blog and as the game's "website". The forums require registration and I surely don't expect any registrations for the forum but it would be great if people who are interested to the game would register and write.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I have signed up to the forum. Good luck with the game, and I will post when releases come around.</p>

Archived