Best way to do a Grand Prix?

To book a tourney as GAMMA in the US you will need to go to options and change the 'regulated tournament' option to ON

As your region is regulated, you are not given the option to book tournaments when making matches, you will be able to with this option on.

The concept I once used of a Grand Prix was several 8 man tournaments each year in a given month, where the match conditions would change.

The GP Europe would be, for example, 3x 10 matches with no ref, and the GP Canada would be 3x 5 with KO counts. GP Japan would be in a ring, etc. These GP's would be held each year and the top fighters would be invited. I liked the concept. :)

I find tournaments in general to be a great way to build up young talent. If you got a bunch of inconsistent guys who cant string wins together, a tournament will put one of them on a winning streak and likely get him more popularity. I do this very frequently with my scrubs and cans.

If you do them like they actually happen in real life, the process is just a three stage format.

First show - Eight fights in one division. Winners move on, losers leave.

Second show - Four fights in one division made up of the winners of the first show, losers leave.

Third show - One night tournament with the four winners of the second stage.

It's pretty simple, really.

Now something like the K-1 World Grand Prix? That's a different beast. To simulate that, you'd have to do this:

One big ass division

Multiple one night eight men tournaments spread out over the year. Say...One in May, second in June, etc, etc, to total the number of finalists you want at the end of the "season".

The finalists of the one night tournaments then square off in the finals at the end of the year in another one night tournament.

Then when you got to a certain point, you could make it more complex with previous year's finalists advancing automatically, adding an "Eliminator Show" to the formula, etc, etc.

I recently started a 64 man tournament filled mostly with prospects who were unemployed. I'm going to do 8 different 8 man tournaments and put all of the winners into another 8 man tournament with the winner getting a shot at the ALPHA-1 Lightweight title. All of the match-ups will be randomly picked. Anybody who doesn't make it to the final tournament will be cut immediately so that my roster doesn't become any more overcrowded than it needs to be.

I haven't run into any problems yet except for the fact that signing 64 fighters at once is a complete pain in the ass.

the 64 man tourney would be nice for a P4P tournament, or either a MW one that includes LHW & WW too. For LW... not so much. Or for women, since they could also have 1 weight class.

A lot of the fighters I signed for my 64 man tournament are guys FWs and WWs who were willing to move to lightweight so finding enough fighters really wasn't that hard.

I have thought about doing a openweight tournament before by making one giant division but the problem was so many fighters were refusing to fight each other because of the size difference.

With my Royal Martial Arts League Dynasty (Plug... :D), I did division by division, first round went through Featherweights - Heavyweights, 8 tournament matches per card, one non-tourney match. If you do one card per month, it should be enough time to warrant for Injuries / Various time off. Wash rinse repeat, instead on the next card doing one eight man tourney, and adding two non tourney matches. Voila, grand prix.

Archived