RELEASE! 1996 The War Begins

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the random potentials! I simmed up to 2002 and jumped in with MLW, and this game world is so different.

Rocky Maiva never became The Rock, or even anywhere near that level of popularity.

Steve Austin is back on the Indy circuit.

Bam Bam Bigelow is the current WCW World Champion

TNA never opened in June of 2002. (I'm in the middle of June right now).

Bill Goldberg was let go from WCW when I signed him to a contract as MLW. ( I'm regional BTW.)

Oh, Shane and Stephanie are on the Indy circuit too. (Steph works for me now, and Shane refused.)

I will post more when I have remote access to my laptop again.

I love the random potentials! I simmed up to 2002 and jumped in with MLW, and this game world is so different.

Rocky Maiva never became The Rock, or even anywhere near that level of popularity.

Bill Goldberg was let go from WCW when I signed him to a contract as MLW. ( I'm regional BTW.)

Oh, Shane and Stephanie are on the Indy circuit too. (Steph works for me now, and Shane refused.)

Thanks for the update, I am always interested to hear what happens down the line. I think random potentials and having variance on keeps things interesting.

TNA probably never opened because Jerry or Jeff Jarrett were otherwise employed, i think in a lot of promotions I set owners to be mandatory. I also set the exact date for them to open on most so .... if people want a more random game obviously they can set owners to preferred and remove the dates that promotions are supposed to open.

Is this really caused by random potentials - or by the AI's inability to push new workers...? Granted, I never played that long in any game myself... but I have yet to see the AI push anyone new.

Is this really caused by random potentials - or by the AI's inability to push new workers...? Granted, I never played that long in any game myself... but I have yet to see the AI push anyone new.

I think random potentials play a role but you are right. I have to admit that in just about any mod or the C-verse the game world seems rather static. younger workers don't progress that much, people don't tend to move up or down the card a hell of a lot, new signings and firings seem to mainly happen at the start of a game or when a promotion increases or decreases in size etc.

Been having a look through the mod and I have to say that it generally looks pretty good. From browsing through the top promotions (AKA the ones I know a little about :p) there are two things that have struck me.

1. Why does almost everyone have refereeing skill? Anyone used as a special referee references their popularity for those matches... so by setting lots of people to have low refereeing skill all you've done is create the chance for a lot of retiring wrestlers to become really bad referees, perhaps instead of the roles they'd be better suited to.

2. You seem to have made a common mistake in rating some people extremely highly in Hardcore, when really the person is just famous for hitting people with stuff. The stat is meant for the actual quality of the match, not just a rating of how insane they are. It's hard to quantify, but with New Jack's really high level of skill he should be capable of pulling off world class matches every time he picks up a weapon. Since New Jack has NEVER done that, his skill can't be that high. It's not an easy stat to get right for real world mods, and insanity does play a bit of a factor but it's more than jumping from places and hitting people with stuff.

Otherwise, it's looking pretty good. Might even give it a proper play through when I've got the chance though I have no idea who I'd play as. Maybe WCW... or maybe a 0/0/0/0 game to see how far up I can build myself through the attitude era. :)

Been having a look through the mod and I have to say that it generally looks pretty good. From browsing through the top promotions (AKA the ones I know a little about :p) there are two things that have struck me.

1. Why does almost everyone have refereeing skill? Anyone used as a special referee references their popularity for those matches... so by setting lots of people to have low refereeing skill all you've done is create the chance for a lot of retiring wrestlers to become really bad referees, perhaps instead of the roles they'd be better suited to.

2. You seem to have made a common mistake in rating some people extremely highly in Hardcore, when really the person is just famous for hitting people with stuff. The stat is meant for the actual quality of the match, not just a rating of how insane they are. It's hard to quantify, but with New Jack's really high level of skill he should be capable of pulling off world class matches every time he picks up a weapon. Since New Jack has NEVER done that, his skill can't be that high. It's not an easy stat to get right for real world mods, and insanity does play a bit of a factor but it's more than jumping from places and hitting people with stuff.

Otherwise, it's looking pretty good. Might even give it a proper play through when I've got the chance though I have no idea who I'd play as. Maybe WCW... or maybe a 0/0/0/0 game to see how far up I can build myself through the attitude era. :)

Hey Derek thanks for the feedback. I could probably lower New Jack and a few other guys down a bit in hardcore to be fair but you seem to have made the mistake of looking at stats before playing. :p

I have an ECW game that has made it to August running at the moment. New Jack's highest match rating of the 29 he has been in so far is a C (for a Gangstas -vs- Cactus Jack and Mikey Whipwreck hardcore match in which he took a crazy bump) and his average is a D- which, considering every match he's been in has had some kind of hardcore stipulation and has typically been against others with decent hardcore skills is not exactly what I would call world class. Baring in mind i am not the greatest booker in the world when it comes to grinding high numbers together but this seems about right to me. He can have a decent match against the right opponent in the right environment which I think is pretty much what ECW was all about.

Refereeing skills you got half a point on. Actually in this mod most guys don't have refing skills (although I admit a bunch of bigger names do who shouldn't and cannot for the life of me recall why they do) however none of those guys will become really bad referees when they retire as a guy with that level of popularity doesn't really have the course of their life changed by a 25ish rating in refereeing when most of even the smallest promotions won't use a ref with less than 50ish skill. I should sort that out although I think it's more cosmetic than anything and shouldn't mess with anyone's game in the meantime.

Also, the WWF's starting cash is set way too high. In 1996, money was so tight that Titan Tower's water coolers were taken out of the offices as a cost cutting measure.

That is an interesting bit of info, their money can be lowered and to be honest WCW's shouldn't be that insanely high either.

As for Jericho, eh his stats can go a bit lower but I honestly thing he was already entertaining early in his career A full letter grade lower at least? Bah, on yer bike before I lose my temper :p

That is an interesting bit of info, their money can be lowered and to be honest WCW's shouldn't be that insanely high either.

At that point in time, there were certain people in Vince McMahon's inner circle who were strongly suggesting that he sell out to WCW, and rumor has it there were even a few offers to that effect. When Eric Bischoff rallied the troops backstage to announce that the WWF would be out of business by 1998, it appeared to be a fair assessment of the situation.

At that point in time, there were certain people in Vince McMahon's inner circle who were strongly suggesting that he sell out to WCW, and rumor has it there were even a few offers to that effect. When Eric Bischoff rallied the troops backstage to announce that the WWF would be out of business by 1998, it appeared to be a fair assessment of the situation.

Wow, makes it even more mind-blowing how WCW managed to fail then. I'll try to reflect this a little more in the next version.

If anyone else has any mistakes or things which need work keep them coming.

Hi,

Loving the mod so far, just a few things I noticed: Marc & Rena Mero don't have a relationship, neither do Randy Savage & Lanny Poffo. Also, is there a particular reason why guys like Sean Morley, Dennis Knight and a few others are on written contracts with smaller promotions like WWC and USWA? Not a big thing, just wondering.

Oh, and damn you! Now I must keep playing TEW again when there are loads of other games that I've bought and haven't played yet.:) Awesome mod thought.

Hi,

Loving the mod so far, just a few things I noticed: Marc & Rena Mero don't have a relationship, neither do Randy Savage & Lanny Poffo. Also, is there a particular reason why guys like Sean Morley, Dennis Knight and a few others are on written contracts with smaller promotions like WWC and USWA? Not a big thing, just wondering.

Oh, and damn you! Now I must keep playing TEW again when there are loads of other games that I've bought and haven't played yet.:) Awesome mod thought.

Ah, just about any written contract in a smaller promotion will generally be an error. Let me know if you spot any more.

If you do an update for this is it likely that we will see any workers or promotions as additions... just wondering...

Workers, probably a few but nothing major. I think adding workers is my favourite part of mod making so a few new guys always seem to slip in.

Promotions, unlikely as the only ones missing from the data are pretty much impossible for me to add or are a mixture of too far into the future and too small to be worth adding. I am open to suggestions though, just can't make any guarantees.

For the time being I have no real plans to massively update things, just play around with it when I get the chance and fix errors I find or are reported to me and down the line release a cleaned up version.

Good work :)

Few things I've noticed:

WWF is #1

WCW is #2

I think overness in general seems rather high. Just looking at WCW most of the roster seems to be one spot higher than they should be.

WWF's product settings are little off too. They had no women's division in 1996, and I think Risqué at medium seems a little too much. It wasn't until March at the earliest they started to get even remotely risque (Goldust's character developing).

Likewise WCW can't think of anything risqué (in the sense of swearing/nudity, etc) happening in WCW until at least 1999. NWO was different, but not really fitting into that category. Again this is my take, just thought I'd offer feedback.

Good work :)

Few things I've noticed:

WWF is #1

WCW is #2

I think overness in general seems rather high. Just looking at WCW most of the roster seems to be one spot higher than they should be.

It's as high as it needs to be to prevent WCW falling to cult within the first few months. Even if I had the overness lower most people seem to have the same card position due to the number of people on the roster. I played around with it but it pretty much seems beyond my control.

WWF's product settings are little off too. They had no women's division in 1996, and I think Risqué at medium seems a little too much. It wasn't until March at the earliest they started to get even remotely risque (Goldust's character developing).

Likewise WCW can't think of anything risqué (in the sense of swearing/nudity, etc) happening in WCW until at least 1999. NWO was different, but not really fitting into that category. Again this is my take, just thought I'd offer feedback.

In late 1995 Goldust's hitting on Razor Ramon while cutting promos about a relationship reeking of taboo between them was enough to convince me that some risque was needed in WWF, god Goldust was awesome during this period. WCW and the WWF women's division you are pretty much right and those aspects are kind of precursers for what the promotions would become a little later. I could do away with them. If you feel like changing the settings and having a play around let me know how it goes. Otherwise I might get around to it down the road a bit.

As for WWF and WCW I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts on who should be #1 and #2. I think I originally kept WWF at number 1 based on ratings and keeping in mind that Nitro was still only a few months old and WWF had until this point been the dominant company.

The Razor stuff was very low key, compared to what he was doing from March onwards (Piper, and Ultimate Warrior). He was just sending gifts to Razor, as far as I can remember.

Still, even though they were a few months from really accellerating with the risky stuff, they had begun doing it by now... slowly, by steadily.

Archived