Forum problems?

Another thing is I'm trapping the bots now. I used to find them after they tried to register and then ban their IP and delete their account. What would happen then is they just try again with a different IP and start the dance again.

Now, I don't delete their account and setup the "ban" profile to just show a message with no forum access at all. So, they can log back in but can't do anything. They tend to stare at the message for a while and then leave. If you guys are bored see what a bot sees now, just login with these credentials:

User: Rereencorge

password: testing123

So, if we ever hit a high load, usually that means some new bots came in. I just use the "one touch and ban" options for Admins and they go to the penalty box as well and the load decreases. Hopefully this will slowly reduce the bot activity as we move forward.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only thing I miss is the dropdown menu at the bottom of a page where you used to be able to select the part of the forum you wanted to go next.

Made navigating the forums more convenient.

Apart from that I haven't experienced this blank page error for quite a while. Seems to be fixed now.

I'm not sure if this is related to anything that's been changed, and it's ridiculously minor anyway, but I'm sure that a while ago a post you'd replied to counted as 'read', whereas now it doesn't.

Like, if I reply to this thread and then click the link at the top to take me back to the Dog Pound forum, this thread will show up as unread (ie, with a bold title), but the only unread message in it will be this one, which I've *just* posted. I'm sure that before it used to count as 'unread' (not bold). In fact, it seems to show the thread as read any time the last post in it is yours, regardless of anything else.

Just something that irks me slightly. :p

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Not really an error, I'm just posting to say that I've been getting a vertical running advert at the top of the page recently. It's an expedia.co.uk one that references Holland, and because it's vertical instead of horizontal it's a little annoying on the forum. :)

• 1 month later...
Not sure if it's just me but I've been having a lot of issues with the site running really slowly over the last couple of days. Sometimes pages takes ages to load, or don't load at all and there doesn't seem to be much of a pattern to it. Sometimes it is slow, sometimes is isn't. But it's definutely annoying. :(

Not sure if it's just me but I've been having a lot of issues with the site running really slowly over the last couple of days. Sometimes pages takes ages to load, or don't load at all and there doesn't seem to be much of a pattern to it. Sometimes it is slow, sometimes is isn't. But it's definutely annoying. :(

Make that two of us. :(

11:55 pm Monday

Service Temporarily Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/2.2.23 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.23 OpenSSL/0.9.8i FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 mod_bwlimited/1.4 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_fcgid/2.3.6 Server at http://www.greydogsoftware.com Port 80

Seems to have lasted less than 10 minutes from when I first tried to get in. Entire site was affected...not just the forums.

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/2.2.23 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.23 OpenSSL/0.9.8i FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 mod_bwlimited/1.4 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_fcgid/2.3.6 Server at http://www.greydogsoftware.com Port 80

Error happened around 8:25am Pacific

Trying to get on the forums over the last hour or so has been all but impossible. I've been getting the 503 message constantly.

I've had a few over the last few days, but it normally sorts itself out after a few minutes.

EDIT: For what it is worth, since I managed to post this I've had no more problems. :p

Trying to get on the forums over the last hour or so has been all but impossible. I've been getting the 503 message constantly.

I've had a few over the last few days, but it normally sorts itself out after a few minutes.

EDIT: For what it is worth, since I managed to post this I've had no more problems. :p

I had similar problems this morning.

17:53 - 18:00 GMT 21/04/13

I've been getting errors in firefox about my flash player crashing while on the site. I'm pretty sure that the forums don't use flash, so I'm guessing it's one of the ads. Once I click 'Stop script' in the window that pops up, it seems to run a little faster for a bit.

Archived