Moving House - Help Required

James Casey

Don't worry, I'm not looking to borrow a pickup truck or anything... :p

My wife and I have been waiting for about four months to complete on the house we want to move into. Today we got the call saying we're moving next Wednesday, and as it's our little girl's birthday party tomorrow and our packing boxes won't get delivered 'til Monday, we basically have a very small window in which to deal with all the stuff that goes with the move (worst case scenario, I'm doing it all on Sunday afternoon :eek:).

So what I'd like to check with you guys is what needs to be done. I know we'll need to get some stuff sorted ahead of time, and others will need to wait and be done soon after. Any and all help gratefully received - I know there must be a lot I'm missing.

Immediate

Electric

Water

Home phone/internet - cancel old, book new

Sky TV - cancel old, book new

Car insurance - update address

House insurance - Done for new house, to be cancelled for existing

Redirect mail

Post move

TV license

Credit cards

Bank details

Driving licenses

Mobile phones

Update magazine subscriptions

-Invites to be sent to all member of GDS forum for house-warming party.

:p Just got done with our daughter's birthday party. That's enough for one year.

Good call on the gas, though. The new place has it, ours doesn't. Could have been a confusing moment with our cooker...

Not directly house related, but doctor? If you're moving more than a mile or so away you'll probably need to register with a new one, and even if you're not you'll need to update your details.

Also, passports? Although I think they charge £rediculous just to change your address, so unless you're planning on going anywhere I probably wouldn't bother. ¬_¬

Netflix (do they have such a thing in The Old Country? :p)

Online businesses (Amazon, TigerDirect, NewEgg, whoever else delivers to the UK). Basically, all the places you order from online who might have the old address.

And remember to give the old address to all the girls in your black book.

What?

Archived