RELEASE: C-Verse 2001

Very much enjoying this. I think something I'm noticing in terms of the pictures is that you're also using all the 97 verse pics (such as Archangel etc) which arent included in the default pack.

I guess this is inevitable at our current point in the TEW community.. so many renders flying around for different people. Although it might be a pain Id suggest possibly uploading an entire picture pack for Cv2001. Use the ones you use, and if people want to have the original set and not the re-renders then they can just overwrite them by dragging and dropping the default pic folder into this one.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm really loving this data, I wasn't happy with my first game as DAVE so I started a new one as USPW and have really been enjoying it. One issue I had when starting this game is that USPW start off with no referee/road agent and a new event almost immediately so I didn't have time to hire Marcus McKing and Jay Fair until after my first show, I don't know if this was intentional or not but it's a bit annoying booking shows without road agents or referees.

I've not had time to play this yet but I have had a good look around and it looks like it's going to be a lot of fun to play when I get the chance. Will likely wait for a 1.1 release to see if you change any more bios and to take advantage of any other little tweaks that pop into the game between now and then. :)

Maybe I missed the explanation, but I think Jim Force is supposed to be on hiatus after the DAVE match. In the default he doesn't sign with USPW till May 2002.

It would make USPW harder but still...

- Sonfaro

I made that point but Celt while the mod was still in beta and he explained that it gives USPW a name star to push them forward. I might have had him be on hiatus myself, but I can certainly understand his point.

Yeah, with the whole Jim Force thing I had to make an executive decision.

See, when Ryland first dreamed up the C-Verse, there's just no way he could have gotten every single aspect of the universe to make prefect sense. With a universe the scale of the C-Verse, it's just impossible.

So when he wrote that Jim Force interview for the C-Verse extra and said Jim didn't join USPW...he was wrong.

Ryland...was wrong.

I know, I was in shock too. But when you look at the time period that he himself has setup it just doesn't make sense that Force wasn't with USPW from the beginning.

Given the growth USPW achieves in just a short number of years the only logical concussion is that someone carried that promotion forward for a year, and if it was wasn't Jim, who? Giant Redwood? No way.

Add on top of that the timing of the DAVE Invasion; sure it made sense as something to do from Phil Vibert's point of view, but Force? Why would Force, who's been out of work for two years or around, agree to do a one night off appearance that's goes over like Dambusters and stay unemployed for another year?

That just doesn't make sense to me.

So I have concluded that Jim was on the original roster, and that the original storyline to USPW was Force chasing Redwood for a year for the strap, and basically carried them for a time.

I mean, how else could USPW have gotten TV if they didn't have Force?

That's my logic to it anyway.

As a USPW fan, I have to disagree with some of this...

Given the growth USPW achieves in just a short number of years the only logical concussion is that someone carried that promotion forward for a year, and if it was wasn't Jim, who? Giant Redwood? No way.

USPW was carried by Captain USA, Corporal Doom, and yes Giant Redwood. In fact it was Redwoods 'massive' undefeated streak that was the major storyline for the promotion before Jim came. Before that they weren't really on the map; it was just a Danny Jillefski middle-finger to SWF.

Add on top of that the timing of the DAVE Invasion; sure it made sense as something to do from Phil Vibert's point of view, but Force? Why would Force, who's been out of work for two years or around, agree to do a one night off appearance that's goes over like Dambusters and stay unemployed for another year?

That just doesn't make sense to me.

Jim would have stuck around with DAVE if they could have afforded him. They couldn't, so he wen't back into hiatus. If Vibert, who'd just won the East Coast wars and was riding a huge wave of momentum, couldn't afford Jim, there's no way an upstart promotion like USPW could have afforded him in the beginning.

There really wasn't anywhere for Jim Force to go either. SWF had just let him go,plus they were trying to get away from hardcore, so that DAVE stunt wouldn't have made Eisen happy. HGC/TCW was becoming workrate heavy, so Jim wouldn't have fit in, plus he didn't want to relocate (I don't think HGC/TCW made it out of the west coast till Cornell officially took over). And while he was popular in the states, he wasn't a big enough star that other countries would have been clamoring for him. His appearance in DAVE was a major moment for the promotion and Jim personally (and thus wrestling history), but beyond that nothing changed.

By the time Jim came off hiatus ten months later, Vibert didn't need him anymore, and USPW had built a fan base and had the funds to pay him like DAVE paid Nemesis. Jim's been there ever since.

I mean, how else could USPW have gotten TV if they didn't have Force?

That's my logic to it anyway.

I'm pretty sure USPW didn't have TV till Sam Strong showed up in 2005/2006. They certainly didn't have it their first two years anyway.

Sam Strong was responsible for USPW's massive growth. Before that they were just a Regional promotion getting by.

It's your mod dude, and it's a fun one. But part of the appeal for me when I heard you were making this was the idea of running USPW with their terrible initial starting roster. Adding Jim takes some of the challenge away, and removes your mod from canon.

- Sonfaro

I can see where the desire for adherence to the nuances of CornellVerse canon comes from... but at the time, there have to be allowances for playability. Not only is a USPW without any real talent on the roster going to be difficult for a user to run, but its going to be really difficult for the AI to run. Unless there are some decent free agents who have a combination of talent, overness, and affordability to make them worthwhile, then I could see the 2001 USPW failing more often than it succeeds.

I can see where the desire for adherence to the nuances of CornellVerse canon comes from... but at the time, there have to be allowances for playability. Not only is a USPW without any real talent on the roster going to be difficult for a user to run, but its going to be really difficult for the AI to run. Unless there are some decent free agents who have a combination of talent, overness, and affordability to make them worthwhile, then I could see the 2001 USPW failing more often than it succeeds.

But it would only be removing one worker at C+ overness in a regional fed: a worker who isn't all that good in the ring yet anyway. And they'd still have $1,000,000 in the bank. I think the AI would be fine. They have Corporal Doom after all (so long as he's an active wrestler).

Besides, like I said, it's not like USPW was going anywhere till Jim arrived the following year.

- Sonfaro

Sonfaro raises a lot of excellent canonical points... I also agree with Bigpapa in that fun is the most important part of a mod... which makes me argue with myself a bit. :p

I think a lot of ground could be covered with some liberal usage of the way yo set things up. I don't have the data open just now but I'm assuming that USPW is a popularity driven company... which means that as long as someone is fairly popular and in the main event that they should get some fairly consistent ratings. Doom, Mustafa, Redwood should all have some name value and at least two of them should have some solid enough skills to boot. Enough to carry USPW as a regional company anyways.

USPW did also only get it's TV deal with Sam Strong at the helm, they were always the 4th promotion behind SWF, HGC and DAVE. That said, they did also help develop some solid rookies too who have a fair bit of star quality which is important for a promotion that doesn't really care about actual talent. A little hiring rule for star quality might be a good way to encourage USPW to make the "right" signings too.

As for Jim Force... if you want him to not be hired by the SWF for a while BUT to also potentially be available rather than on hiatus, you might consider giving him a "simmering tension" relationship with Richard Eisen and posibly even with Phil Vibert as a way to prevent DAVE signing him too (which they might given his name value). It's how I set up Cornell/Eisen in the CV97 and generally resulted in Cornell being fired when his contract expired not long into the game and going on to great things elsewhere. :)

But it would only be removing one worker at C+ overness in a regional fed: a worker who isn't all that good in the ring yet anyway. And they'd still have $1,000,000 in the bank. I think the AI would be fine. They have Corporal Doom after all (so long as he's an active wrestler).

Besides, like I said, it's not like USPW was going anywhere till Jim arrived the following year.

- Sonfaro

Corporal Doom is set to retired. And that one C+ worker is the only wrestler on the roster above C- popularity. The C- worker is Alex Pierce who is part time. After that, its Giant Redwood who is a D+. Force is definitely not awesome in the ring, but in a popularity-based promotion, a guy who is 3 full grades more popular than the next full-time wrestler seems like he he would be pretty valuable.

I'm not saying that is the sole reason. But to me, that would be a big factor. Yes, there are other workers that USPW can sign... but I personally prefer the idea of Jim Force being in USPW earlier than canon rather than USPW thriving with a roster full of DAVE guys....

Corporal Doom is set to retired. And that one C+ worker is the only wrestler on the roster above C- popularity. The C- worker is Alex Pierce who is part time. After that, its Giant Redwood who is a D+. Force is definitely not awesome in the ring, but in a popularity-based promotion, a guy who is 3 full grades more popular than the next full-time wrestler seems like he he would be pretty valuable.

I'm not saying that is the sole reason. But to me, that would be a big factor. Yes, there are other workers that USPW can sign... but I personally prefer the idea of Jim Force being in USPW earlier than canon rather than USPW thriving with a roster full of DAVE guys....

Corporal Doom isn't supposed to be retired till 2007. '07 had him semi active. Remember, he has to win the national title in a few months.

Sure a C+ guy would be valuable. The question is was he on the roster at the start, and if not could USPW survive. The answers: no he wasn't, and yes it could.

I take your points very seriously; especially your ones Sonfaro. I can definitely see how your view would appear to be closer to the established canon. But here's the thing; you're main counter-point to including Jim Force is that Corporal Doom is available at this period in time, and I have no problem making USPW the Corporal Doom/Giant Redwood show if we all agree that's the correct way to go, but take this on board:

Corporal Doom and Giant Redwood are both career heels. Now of course one of them could be turned for the sake of things; but it seems more logical to me that the old time nostalgia promotion would have been founded on the back of a big time babyface at the helm in Force.

Also, outside of the canon thing and as others have mentioned, USPW is dull without Jim Force. I mean it has great potential since it has Rich Money, Rick Law, and Adrenaline Rush but none of them have much in the way of popularity yet so USPW would be an outstanding challenge without Force. I threw in Alex Pierce as a lifeline to the player so that they're not 100% reliant on Force for everything.

I take your points very seriously; especially your ones Sonfaro. I can definitely see how your view would appear to be closer to the established canon. But here's the thing; you're main counter-point to including Jim Force is that Corporal Doom is available at this period in time, and I have no problem making USPW the Corporal Doom/Giant Redwood show if we all agree that's the correct way to go, but take this on board:

Corporal Doom and Giant Redwood are both career heels. Now of course one of them could be turned for the sake of things; but it seems more logical to me that the old time nostalgia promotion would have been founded on the back of a big time babyface at the helm in Force.

Also, outside of the canon thing and as others have mentioned, USPW is dull without Jim Force. I mean it has great potential since it has Rich Money, Rick Law, and Adrenaline Rush but none of them have much in the way of popularity yet so USPW would be an outstanding challenge without Force. I threw in Alex Pierce as a lifeline to the player so that they're not 100% reliant on Force for everything.

I brought up Corporal Doom because it seemed like you were suggesting there was no one who could carry the company. Doom would have been the best worker on the roster in terms of basic skills at this point, so he could have had a good match with anybody. That's what I was thinking when I threw his name out there - build the company around Doom for the first year before transfering heat on someone else.

For Faces, you still have Captain USA. Bumping the Cap from D- to D with a D+ in the Southwest wouldn't be too outrageous. In fact, I submit that this was the original feud running in the promotion: Captain USA trying to defend human freedom against Giant Redwood, a ruthless terrorizing monster determined to... destroy people. :rolleyes: And if not him, Whistler was D to D+ in the '97 mod. Just because PPPW folded doesn't mean he'd lose that much popularity.

That's the joy of 2001 USPW: an old washed out main event at least 10 years past their prime and a crop of rookies that never get to replace them because they get poached just as they reach the mountain. That doesn't sound dull to me at all. That's a challenge: not quite MOSC 2010 challenge but a challenge none the less. Adding a twenty something fresh off a huge angle brawler with oddles of star-power and two levels more popularity than anyone else on the roster makes the journey almost too easy.

Now, it's your mod, and whatever you decide I'll still play it. You put a lot of work into this and I'm greatful. It's just not as canon as I expected it to be. Don't worry. If you stick with Jim in USPW I can modify a personal database for myself. Might do that anyway, then everyone ends up happy. :)

- Sonfaro

Maybe I'm missing something but... shouldn't Johnny Bloodstone have a contract with NOTBPW?

Also, adding to the Jim Force debate, Shouldn't he have at least a 1 appeareance contract with Dave at the start of the data? I think I remember reading that after the attack, he had a match with Nemesis on night 2...

Well, just my 2 cents... anyways thanks for the awesome mod! CZCW is AMAZING to play with.

Bloodstone is with USPW all the way through 2005 so no he shouldn't be with NOTBW he doesn't show up there until TEW 07 I believe.

It all happened that same night. The column says "later that night" not "Night 2". So yes he did wrestle Force but it was literally one appearance on one show thats it.

Should Billy Wood be able to become a owner of a company? He just took over OLLIE. And why in the blue hell Leo Davis had a written contract with SCCW?

I was supposed to change the owner of OLLIE because he kept retiring and inappropriate people from around the world kept taking over but I forgot.

As for Leo Davis having a written contract this is a mistake i must have made while adding him to the SCCW roster.

Archived