The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread

Killagy

I picked up the TPB of Absolute Carnage, Absolute Carnage- Lethal Protecors, Absolute Carnage- Miles Morales, and Absolute Carnage- Scream.

Any idea what order I should read them in?

Do not read them at all...:D

Seriously I did not bother with the tie-ins but the main story was just okay. Nothing great or groundbreaking. The very first issue of Absolute Carnage was fantastic but the rest is hit or miss for me.

I am not sure if this is the right order or not but according to the Absolute Carnage checklist that my LCS gave me here is how they have what you bought listed...

1. Absolute Carnage 1

2. Absolute Carnage 2

3. Lethal Protectors 1

4. Miles Morales 1

5. Scream 1

6. Absolute Carnage 3

7. Lethal Protectors 2 (You did not say if you got any other issues so I will just follow what you have listed. If you do not have this one yet or the others just disregard anything but the Absolute Carnage issues)

8. Miles Morales 2

9. Scream 2

10. Absolute Carnage 4

11. LP 3

12. MM 3

13. Scream 3

14. Absolute Carnage 5

Now I am not saying that is the correct order, but it is the order they came out in. I know with the new X-Men books there is a specific order they are supposed to be read in and it does not coincide with the order they came out.

From what I have heard the tie-ins really do not matter that much to the main story. Besides the main story the only issues I got were...

Venom 17, 18, 19 (Only because they were on my pull list), Absolute Carnage: Symbiote Spider-Man #1 (Because I am a Peter David fan), and Amazing Spider-Man 30-31. This is more of a me thing and it only applies to me but I would never bother with the Hulk issue because the writer Al Ewing blocked me on Twitter (when I had it) despite the fact that I have never had any sort of contact with him. The way I look at it is if you block me despite never even talking to me, then there is no way I will support you.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

So potentially dumb questions, but...

I've collected every X-Family/Mutant related issue since Dawn of X started. I have the Dawn of X issues already organized in reading order, but where would I find the reading order for the various books that spawned in its wake? I know Hellions is probably the last one as it came out today, but I sadly didn't think ahead and organize the other issues as they came out.

Also, a reading order question. Where would I find the reading order for the relaunched Marvel 2099 books? As far as I know I've picked up all of them they've released so far, but again, sadly, I did not keep them organized.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

So potentially dumb questions, but...

I've collected every X-Family/Mutant related issue since Dawn of X started. I have the Dawn of X issues already organized in reading order, but where would I find the reading order for the various books that spawned in its wake? I know Hellions is probably the last one as it came out today, but I sadly didn't think ahead and organize the other issues as they came out.

Also, a reading order question. Where would I find the reading order for the relaunched Marvel 2099 books? As far as I know I've picked up all of them they've released so far, but again, sadly, I did not keep them organized.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I gave up on the new X-Men run because I have grown to despise it. But if I recall correctly someone said there was this weird order in which to read them. I know for a fact it was true in regards to the House of and the Powers of X.

They have the recommended reading order on Wikipedia, but I am not sure if it is true or not due to it being Wikipedia. But here is the list...

Reading order:

House of X #1

Powers of X #1

House of X #2

Powers of X #2

Powers of X #3

House of X #3

House of X #4

Powers of X #4

House of X #5

Powers of X #5

House of X #6

Powers of X #6

X-Men #1

Marauders #1

Excalibur #1

New Mutants #1–2, 5, 7

New Mutants #3–4, 6

X-Force #1

Fallen Angels #1–6

X-Men #2–3

Incoming! #1

Wolverine #1

Marauders #2–6

X-Force #2–3

Excalibur #2–7

Marauders #7

X-Force #4–7

X-Men #4–6

Marauders #8

Excalibur #8

Marauders #9

Cable #1

X-Men #8

New Mutants #9

I was looking forward to reading Cable because he is one of my favorite Marvel characters but then I found out it was Kid Cable (Who I am not fond of oddly.) and the first issue was boring. The only one I have heard glowing reviews for was Benjamin Percy's X-Force. I have the first few issuses of that but I have it on digital and I am not a huge fan of digital (But they were .99 each so I could not pass that by.).

I am wondering what is going to happen now that Diamond has stopped distribution to the shops. I mean I guess they will still sell them digitally but what happens to the people who have pull lists for the physical copies. Will they have to turn to digital only because if they do not they will end up falling behind.

I have about fifteen books that I follow on a regualr basis, out of those fifteen I have ten on my pull list. Does that mean when Diamond does starts up again I am going to have to buy all of these backstock issues at once? If so that is going to suck.

• 3 months later...

FINALLY started working my way through my massive backlog of comics.

Tonight I got through all four issues of Count Crowley: Reluctant Midnight Monster Hunter and the first Batman/Ninja Turtles crossover.

Count Crowley was far too short. It ends setting up more adventures, so hoping it gets more issues. Very cool and unique premise. Highly recommend for any horror movie fans. Especially fans of late night horror host type shows.

The Batman/Ninja Turtle crossover was great! I never knew I needed to see Shredder and Batman face off and it was glorious. Now that I've read it I can watch the animated movie DC put out.

I plan on reading Batman/Ninja Turtles 2 and 3 tomorrow.

I now own every single issue of Spawn(most in TPB form), but I'm gonna try and clear out more of my backlog before diving into that since it's such an investment time wise.

I have most of Savage Dragon's back issues, but waiting until I have the complete set before giving that a go. I loved Savage Dragon when I was a kid so here's hoping he holds up.

I know I'm basically the only person who posts in this thread most of the times, but are there any story arcs/crossovers from the past that you enjoyed? I recently picked up all the volumes of Age of Apocalypse(My all time favorite "event" and am realizing I missed out on quite a few stories over the years. So looking to fill in the gaps.

I remember reading House of M, but I don't think I ever finished it. Also picked up the Onslaught omnibus.

Any suggestions are more than welcome! Company doesn't matter either. I read something from pretty much every major company(Marvel, DC, IDW, Boom, Dark Horse, Image etc)

I know I'm basically the only person who posts in this thread most of the times, but are there any story arcs/crossovers from the past that you enjoyed? I recently picked up all the volumes of Age of Apocalypse(My all time favorite "event" and am realizing I missed out on quite a few stories over the years. So looking to fill in the gaps.

I remember reading House of M, but I don't think I ever finished it. Also picked up the Onslaught omnibus.

Any suggestions are more than welcome! Company doesn't matter either. I read something from pretty much every major company(Marvel, DC, IDW, Boom, Dark Horse, Image etc)

I don't have an answer to your question but as someone who's trying to get into comics, do you have any recommendations for where to start? I know it's a broad question lol. I like crime, thrillers, sci fi, post apocalyptic, stuff like that.

I guess an easy to way to put it is, I like shows like Game of Thrones, Westworld, Sons of Anarchy, Sopranos, and similar mob/gang/crime shows.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Dalton" data-cite="Dalton" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="31920" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I don't have an answer to your question but as someone who's trying to get into comics, do you have any recommendations for where to start? I know it's a broad question lol. I like crime, thrillers, sci fi, post apocalyptic, stuff like that.<p> </p><p> I guess an easy to way to put it is, I like shows like Game of Thrones, Westworld, Sons of Anarchy, Sopranos, and similar mob/gang/crime shows.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Didn't mention fantasy, but I'm enjoying Marvel's current Savage Sword of Conan and their Conan the Barbarian book.</p><p> </p><p> John Constantine- Hellblazer has been enjoyable. </p><p> </p><p> Justice League Dark is fun.</p><p> </p><p> I'm a huge Spawn fan, so I recommend that. Issue 308 comes out in a few weeks.</p><p> </p><p> It's a lesser known title, but Todd McFarlane(Spawn creator) and Robert Kirkman(Walking Dead, Invincible) had a short series called Haunt that I enjoyed quite a bit.</p><p> </p><p> There's a sci fi series I picked up recently called Black Science done by Rick Remender and I'm really excited to read that.</p><p> </p><p> If you're into vampires at all, there's American Vampire. Stephen King cowrote the first five issues with Scott Snyder. After that Snyder was the primary writer.</p><p> </p><p> Another sci fi series from Rick Remender is Tokyo Ghost. It has no relation to the manga/anime Tokyo Ghoul, just similar name.</p><p> </p><p> You should definitely check out Old Man Logan and then it's follow up Avengers of the Wasteland. It's a post apocalyptic world where the villains beat the Avengers, X-Men, and all the other heroes. Old Man Logan follows Wolverine going on one last adventure. It's really dark and messed up, but very good. The movie Logan was loosely inspired by it.</p><p> </p><p> Saga is another sci fi series. It's like if Romeo and Juliet had a lovechild with Star Wars in the best way possible. It's so good.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Jaysin" data-cite="Jaysin" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="31920" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Didn't mention fantasy, but I'm enjoying Marvel's current Savage Sword of Conan and their Conan the Barbarian book.<p> </p><p> John Constantine- Hellblazer has been enjoyable. </p><p> </p><p> Justice League Dark is fun.</p><p> </p><p> I'm a huge Spawn fan, so I recommend that. Issue 308 comes out in a few weeks.</p><p> </p><p> It's a lesser known title, but Todd McFarlane(Spawn creator) and Robert Kirkman(Walking Dead, Invincible) had a short series called Haunt that I enjoyed quite a bit.</p><p> </p><p> There's a sci fi series I picked up recently called Black Science done by Rick Remender and I'm really excited to read that.</p><p> </p><p> If you're into vampires at all, there's American Vampire. Stephen King cowrote the first five issues with Scott Snyder. After that Snyder was the primary writer.</p><p> </p><p> Another sci fi series from Rick Remender is Tokyo Ghost. It has no relation to the manga/anime Tokyo Ghoul, just similar name.</p><p> </p><p> You should definitely check out Old Man Logan and then it's follow up Avengers of the Wasteland. It's a post apocalyptic world where the villains beat the Avengers, X-Men, and all the other heroes. Old Man Logan follows Wolverine going on one last adventure. It's really dark and messed up, but very good. The movie Logan was loosely inspired by it.</p><p> </p><p> Saga is another sci fi series. It's like if Romeo and Juliet had a lovechild with Star Wars in the best way possible. It's so good.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I've never been big into superheroes but everything you mentioned doesn't seem to be the "traditional" superhero story. That Old Man Logan seems interesting.</p><p> </p><p> I absolutely adore Star Wars so I will 100% check out Saga!!</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Dalton" data-cite="Dalton" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="31920" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I've never been big into superheroes but everything you mentioned doesn't seem to be the "traditional" superhero story. That Old Man Logan seems interesting.<p> </p><p> I absolutely adore Star Wars so I will 100% check out Saga!!</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Haunt is a super hero series, but it's premise makes it interesting. At least to me. It's about two brothers. One is an alcoholic preacher and the other was an assassin. The assassin brother gets killed and his spirit now resides in his brother's body. When the assassin brother takes over, he gets a suit reminiscent of Spawn mixed with Venom. The brothers argue with each other while sharing the same body. It's fun stuff.</p>

Count Crowley was far too short. It ends setting up more adventures, so hoping it gets more issues. Very cool and unique premise. Highly recommend for any horror movie fans. Especially fans of late night horror host type shows.

I have most of Savage Dragon's back issues, but waiting until I have the complete set before giving that a go. I loved Savage Dragon when I was a kid so here's hoping he holds up.

I really enjoyed Count Crowley. I agree I hate that Dark Horse only released four issues, but that tends to be normal for them.

I have never read Savage Dragon, but from what I have heard it was really good when it came out in the 90's, but it is not horrible. As I said, I heard that from multiple people, but I have never read it. Erik Larsen seems to spend the vast majority of the time flipping out on Twitter over Trump so maybe that has something to do with the quality of his work.

I mean I am no Trump supporter, but I am also not going to scream "Orange Man Bad!", from the rooftops all day long. Because at the end of the day it does not matter, I mean I was that way about George Bush (the son) and I came to the conclusion that nothing I said on the topic mattered so why get so worked up.

Marvel did a very good mini-event involving Kraven the Hunter and Spider-Man last year. It ran from The Amazing Spider-Man 16 until 23. Issue 18.HU dealing with the Gibbon might be one of the best comics I ever read. Just a fantastic issue.

Sean Gordon Murphy's Batman: White Knight is a modern-day masterpiece. It deals with a sane Joker. I really do not want to write anything else out of not wanting to spoil but it is great. I cannot recommend it's sequel Batman: Curse of the White Knight. That story arc was decent but nowhere near as good as White Knight.

Justice League Odyssey, the entire run, has been great. It is different in that it has an overarching theme that has lasted all of the issues. Sort of like what Babylon 5 did. I am not sure how else to explain it, but it is not like a lot of DC stuff where it is clearly made for the trade paperbacks.

I don't have an answer to your question but as someone who's trying to get into comics, do you have any recommendations for where to start? I know it's a broad question lol. I like crime, thrillers, sci fi, post apocalyptic, stuff like that.

I guess an easy to way to put it is, I like shows like Game of Thrones, Westworld, Sons of Anarchy, Sopranos, and similar mob/gang/crime shows.

*What I read of Die by Kieron Gillen was pretty good. It has a very similar concept to Jumanji. Basically a group of teenagers got transported into their D&D like game, they managed to get out but now they must go back in again as adults.

*As far as crime books go, I cannot state this enough. If you want to read great crime books check out any of Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips' Criminal series which is put out by Image. Holy cow are they fantastic, it has a 1940's noir feel to them but they are more modern-day (Sort of they jump around from I believe the 1970's until the current day). What is so awesome is it does have a little Game of Thrones feel to it, in that a minor character in one book might be the focal character in the next.

I am not a big art guy when it comes to comics if it is not egregiously bad then I am okay. I would rather have good writing over good art. That being said Sean Phillips art is fantastic. I seriously cannot sing the praises of the Criminal books any higher.

*Dead Eyes was another good crime comic. It is similar to the above-mentioned Criminal. I can't really think of a good way to give you info on what it is about without spoiling it, so I will leave it at that.

*Jeff Lemire's Gideon Falls is a good horror/SciFi series. I honestly am not sure how to explain it because I often get lost just reading it.:D There are elements of time travel in it, it also deals with mental illness, there is a haunted house in it. It is well worth the read, even if my description of it is terrible.

*Cullen Bunn's Bone Parish is pretty good. It has elements of crime, SciFi, and zombies in the mix. No major spoilers, but it is about a family who learned how to create a drug made out of the ashes of dead people. If you smoke the drug you relive that person's life. The crime element of it is that there is a war to control who can distribute the drugs. It is from Boom Studios and ran for 12 issues.

If you are interested in it you might want to buy it digital, because Boom tends to have low print runs for physical copies and therefore there might not be a lot of physical copies of it. I had to add it to my pull list because it was tough finding physical copies of it and I live in an area where there are about ten shops, so that tells you how low the print run might have been.

*Stephen King's son Joe Hill has a horror line for DC and most of those books have been pretty good.

The only one out of what was put out by that line thus far that I would say avoid is The Low Low Woods, I felt that it was poorly written.

*Tinseltown by Alterna Comics was pretty good. It is about a female cop in 1920's Los Angeles. I am not sure how historically accurate it is, but it was an enjoyable read.

*As Jaysin mentioned Black Science is very good. I have not gotten too far into it yet. It is the only series that own completely digitally.

*Paper Girls from Saga writer Brian K. Vaughan has been great. It deals with two of my favorite things the 1980's and time travel. I am a sucker for a good time traveling story. I have read the first few issues and thus far it has been great.

* I am not sure which John Constantine series Jaysin is talking about, but the newest one has been great (I am a fan of the character so I would say every series has been good, or at least what I have read thus far.). There is this hipster character in the new series that is hilarious. Hands down one of the funniest characters in a book.

I absolutely adore Star Wars so I will 100% check out Saga!!

I am not sure if there are physical copies of it around but I recently bought some issues of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic on Comixology and it has been great thus far. It is set in the same era as the KOTOR video games. In fact, some characters from the game show up in the book. If you liked the game, which I did, chances are you will probably like this series.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Resurrecting a dead thread because it's no secret I am a giant Nerdy man-child but I've only really been collecting comics for about 18 months and got reminded about this thread. I had been buying graphic novels for years but fell into the world of Comic book collecting in late 2021 when I bought a graded Savage She-Hulk #1 from 1979. My plan was that I bought that, and that was a one and done for my display... didn't stay that way though!

I mainly look for comics I had as a kid, smaller keys and my main collection revolves around cover art. If I like the cover, I tend to buy it. I collect raw copies for the most part but do have 10 or 11 slabbed graded comics (Toxic Avenger #1, Spawn #1, Uncanny X-Men #221 and Savage She-Hulk #1 being my favourites). Spawn #1 was my most recent graded purchase and I managed to pick up a 9.6 copy for a reasonable price - well in collector terms. My best purchases though have to be the 1st cameo, 1st appearance and 1st cover comics for Mr. Sinister (greatest X-Men villain of all time IMO) but only the 1st appearance comic is graded, the other 2 are Raw copies.

It'd be interesting to see what other people are collecting. Do you prefer Raw or slabbed for your collections? Do you collect complete runs etc...