The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread

Killagy

The fifth issue of the truly awesome SKULLKICKERS is out now. I've been buying all of them so far and it will put a smile on your lips if you are even the least bit of D&D fan. It's about a dwarf and a bulky fighter making fame and fortune in a wee bit satirical adventure book.

I've been waiting ages for Ravine vol 2 to release and the moment is finally upon us. Never have I preordered a comic before, and now the wait was only, what, a full frickin' year? :p It's been proclaimed the LotR of comics and - though the first issue was more of an introduction - it does read pretty nicely. And it has dragons and kickass art.

I'm hitting a local comiccon somewhere this month where I might pick up some Batman & Robin TB's if the price is right. But honestly I couldn't care less about DC and Marvel atm. Especially now they're about to reinvent Barbara Gordon / Batgirl again, who was one of my favorite characters (as Oracle, before the reset, mind you)

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fifth issue of the truly awesome SKULLKICKERS is out now. I've been buying all of them so far and it will put a smile on your lips if you are even the least bit of D&D fan. It's about a dwarf and a bulky fighter making fame and fortune in a wee bit satirical adventure book.

That sounds like Looking For Group except as a satire of D&D instead of WoW. Looking for Group is easily one of my favorite things on the internet. Richard is such a great character and insanely funny.

• 3 weeks later...
I saw Sentinels of the Multiverse in my gaming store today, and after a quick review check on bgg (and Adam's recommendation of the game in my mind) I purchased it. Will play it tomorrow with my cousins and see how it plays. It doesn't seem to use resources, makes abstraction of customization and seems very simple to explain. Not a complex game by any means, but this actually seems a good thing: diverse, a pick-up-and-play structure and especially fun-looking. The universe looks a lot like the CBH universe: well-drawn art and winks to existing superheroes. There's also lots of content to buy it you're tired of the core set, and the cards are thick, good quality cardboard. But I can't recommend it yet as I've yet to play it. I've pretty much played all reasonably-well known cardgames (with a couple of exeptions of course) so my standards are pretty high. I don't think it will satisfy me that much, but I'll be happy if it's just fun to play.

It's not a complex game in terms of structure, but it can get quite complex - deep is probably a better term - when you start putting together teams of specific characters. The base set heroes are pretty straightforward, but the expansion packs do a great job of introducing characters who alter the core mechanics enough that they feel very different. It's one of the things I love about the game, that most of the characters feel very different to play despite all following the same basic gameplay rules.

They do seem to play differently, which is a huge plus for the game. We played the core omnitron game (supposedly the easiest) with 3 players. It was fun, and the decisions we had to make as a team were definitely not obvious. And it does feel teambased, as the game does a wonderful job of never leaving someone out or making someone feel like he's just 'there', even if their character failed. Because every deck is different, everyone has a purpose or a role to play, hence the great fun-factor.

As far as the actual effects I've seen so far, there's nothing really original. But then again, no recent cardgame is. :p

I'd probably buy the expansions too if it's as gamechanging as you make it seem. Great pick-up-and-play game as it's really easy to explain.

Glad you enjoyed it.

I'd probably buy the expansions too if it's as gamechanging as you make it seem.

I wouldn't say they're game-changing, more like game-enhancing; some of the other characters are just really fun to play as - especially Unity, who is one of the mini expansions - and offer different styles of play, different strategic decisions, etc. They don't radically alter the way the game is played - except the Vengeance full expansion, which creates a 'Survivor Series' style team-based elimination format. It's a tough one to recommend though - it's my least favourite format, but the hero characters you get with it are amongst my favourites to play as.

If anyone hasn't checked out Saga, I advise you to do so. It's by the same guy that did Y: The Last Man, so take that as an indication of it's quality. Be warned though, there is a pretty decent amount of adult content, so if that's a deal breaker, you may want to skip it.

• 3 months later...

Does anyone else use Marvel Unlimited? I decided to give it a shot and for the most part am enjoying it.

My major gripe so far is how messed up a lot of the release dates listed are, so it screws up chronology/reading order. This isn't so troublesome when you're reading say, Spider-Girl and you just have to scroll through for the issues, but when you go to the Comic Events section and things are all out of order with no indication of what to read first, it's fairly frustrating. I sent them an email about it and the first response was "Well, they're listed by release date." and I responded saying that I was aware, but the release dates are messed up and it makes reading the comic events section fairly annoying. Their response to that was a stock email saying my email was forwarded to someone or another and that I may get a response. So far it's been a week and nothing.

As I'm a avid cardgame fan, I basically try everything. As said before: Sentinels of the Universe is definitely fun. Played a game with 5 people now and it's been a fun ride (despise 'forgetting' to flip the villain :p). Got Unity too, and the golem mechanic is quite unique (and I've seen it all). Vengeance was sold out that day.

I also got the new DC Rivals: Batman vs Joker, which is a 2-player deckbuilding game where you try to attack the other player using cards you purchase randomly. Aside from that, the Marvel deckbuilding game is also straight fun. Can't go wrong with it.

As for actual comics, I haven't read anything. Next one I'll (re-)read is probably Hush.

• 2 weeks later...
As I'm a avid cardgame fan, I basically try everything. As said before: Sentinels of the Universe is definitely fun. Played a game with 5 people now and it's been a fun ride (despise 'forgetting' to flip the villain :p). Got Unity too, and the golem mechanic is quite unique (and I've seen it all). Vengeance was sold out that day.

I also got the new DC Rivals: Batman vs Joker, which is a 2-player deckbuilding game where you try to attack the other player using cards you purchase randomly. Aside from that, the Marvel deckbuilding game is also straight fun. Can't go wrong with it.

As for actual comics, I haven't read anything. Next one I'll (re-)read is probably Hush.

Can you send me a link to DC Rivals? :D

Can you send me a link to DC Rivals? :D

You can't find it in your store or on boardgamegeek? For the record: it's a physical card game (with all the digital ones nowadays it's easy to get confused).

And with Skullkickers seemlingly on hold (despite the succes?) and Ravine not doing well (why that is is beyond me... it's awesome), it seems like I'm totally done with comics. :p

I haven't read any graphic novels in a long while but the other day I bought Batman Volume 1: The Court of Owls (The New 52), Batman Volume 2: The City of Owls (The New 52), Batman Volume 3: Death of the Family (The New 52), Batman Volume 4: Zero Year - Secret City (The New 52) and Batman Volume 5: Zero Year - Dark City (The New 52). Haven't read any of them yet but intend on getting some time over the weekend to sit down and get through a couple of them at least.

I haven't read any graphic novels in a long while but the other day I bought Batman Volume 1: The Court of Owls (The New 52), Batman Volume 2: The City of Owls (The New 52), Batman Volume 3: Death of the Family (The New 52), Batman Volume 4: Zero Year - Secret City (The New 52) and Batman Volume 5: Zero Year - Dark City (The New 52). Haven't read any of them yet but intend on getting some time over the weekend to sit down and get through a couple of them at least.

I recently bought the Death of The Family bundle that comes with The Joker mask. It's an amazing read! :)

• 3 years later...
<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Blackman" data-cite="Blackman" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="31920" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Aren't comics in general on the decline? The big two are experiencing much more succes with the recent blockbusters on the big screen.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Without a doubt sales have been on a constant decline for years now.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="lukess11" data-cite="lukess11" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="31920" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I love collecting the DC Showcase and Marvel Essentials. I personally love the old school Avengers just because they were an amazing cast of characters filled with romance.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Right there with you on the Showcases and the Essentials. Love those classic reprints. It really feels like comics were better in the days they were targeted primarily at children. I've tried dabbling in modern comics from time to time. But between the expense and the harder, grittier tone, I always find myself going back to earlier times. But then I was also a sheltered kid and my introduction to most of the great superheroes was in kid friendly programming like Adam West's Batman series. Spiderman battling Conk and Bonk on The Electric Company. Bill Bixby and Lou Ferrigno as The Hulk. </p><p> </p><p> And it's not like there weren't grown up elements snuck in during the Showcase/ Essential era. Stuff like Professor X's attachment to Jean Grey in the pre-Claremont X-Men that would be considered extremely inappropriate in this #MeToo world. The would be homewrecker Mavis Trent not respecting the fact that Hawkman and Hawkgirl were married and trying to score Katar for herself. Sure you had cars being turned into ice cream and thieves stealing gems to power ridiculous rays that turned men into cheese. But kids weren't tiptoed around like they are today either. As innocent as a 60's comic might seem today, they are still times I marvel (pardon the pun) at things that were snuck past the censors.</p>

• 2 months later...
<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Jaysin" data-cite="Jaysin" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="31920" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Anyone else reading Cosmic Ghost Rider?<p> </p><p> Only two issues out so far, but I love it.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I am a Donny Cates (Love Babyteeth, Thanos, and Venom) fan but I am not feeling Cosmic Ghost Rider at all. Granted I have not read the second issue and I did enjoy the character in Thanos so I might go read the next issue. I am not sure though.</p>

• 8 months later...

<p>Picked up the first three issues of Major X from Liefield, Cosmic Ghost Rider: Baby Thanos Must Die, first three issues of Cosmic Ghost Rider Destroys Marvel History, and the first issue of Savage Avengers. </p><p> </p><p>

Thinking of picking up the War of the Realms books but might wait till it's finished.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="BHK1978" data-cite="BHK1978" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="31920" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I am really enjoying the new Silencer series from DC. The sales for it are not that great so I wonder how long it is going to last but thus far it has been a fun read.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Called it, it sucks that Silencer was cancelled I really wish more people would have given it a chance. It was hands down my favorite book. </p><p> </p><p> People complain about not having female character leading books, DC gives them one and nobody buys it. Now obviously part of the blame could be laid at the feet of DC because they do a terrible job of promoting their books. I also think it can be blamed on the people who give lip service about wanting a strong, well written, female character and then when one is presented to them they do not support the book with their wallets.</p><p> </p><p> I mean the book was Alias meets Kill Bill meets Chuck (sort of, more the idea and not the humor of Chuck), what is there to not like about it.</p><p> </p><p> As much as I hate to admit this, I am really enjoying the current Kraven the Hunter storyline that Marvel is putting out. It is so well written and the one story about the Gibbon is legitimately sad (This is coming from someone who never gets emotional when it come to any form of fiction. You could kill off nearly any character and it would not bother me). If folks want to buy a Marvel event they should stick with this one, don't bother with the 5,000 books that are going to make up the War of the Realms.</p>