The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread

Killagy

When I "grew up" a bit I read mostly other things too. Wasn't big on Superheroes when I was in my 20s. I still read Batman until the War Games thing.

My favorites are Rising Stars, Army@Love, Ex Machina, and I was SUPER into Scalped for the first like 20 issues or so. But my shop closed and I never found another one.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I "grew up" a bit I read mostly other things too. Wasn't big on Superheroes when I was in my 20s. I still read Batman until the War Games thing.

My favorites are Rising Stars, Army@Love, Ex Machina, and I was SUPER into Scalped for the first like 20 issues or so. But my shop closed and I never found another one.

i liked Rising Starts quite a bit, can't remember his name certain its the guy who also wrote Midnight Nation, and i think the company was Top Cow, they did a mini series called The Agency which i never read the last episode of, in fact i might actually try tracking the issues down

I was so hoping they would turn Rising Stars into a movie trilogy. It could have worked but I think too much time has passed. But you never know.

JMS is one of my favorite writers. Haven't loved everything he's done... but he's one of the guys capable of genius level storytelling. Once I read something I loved as much as Rising Stars and his Dr. Strange run... I'm always going to be a fan no matter what.

Has anyone read Powers by Brian Michael Bendis?

I'm about halfway through Volume 1 in the Roleplay chapter. Easily some of the best material I've ever read.

I was considering getting that. I've been busy with BOOM! Studious stuff like Incorruptible/Irredeemable + Stan Lee's trilogy of Soldier Zero, The Traveler & Starborn.

I was considering getting that. I've been busy with BOOM! Studious stuff like Incorruptible/Irredeemable + Stan Lee's trilogy of Soldier Zero, The Traveler & Starborn.

I just finished Volume 1 of Powers and I absolutely love it. I'll be able to start Volume 2 tomorrow.

I have a trade paper back of Soldier Zero, but I haven't really gave it a shot yet. I got it at Borders for like $3 when they were going out of business.

I just finished Volume 1 of Powers and I absolutely love it. I'll be able to start Volume 2 tomorrow.

I have a trade paper back of Soldier Zero, but I haven't really gave it a shot yet. I got it at Borders for like $3 when they were going out of business.

The Lee-verse Boom constructed is rather nice. They can be a bit confusing at times but they're very well-knitted together and as I'm not sure whether or not they're limited series, might be building to a crossover event.

The Lee-verse Boom constructed is rather nice. They can be a bit confusing at times but they're very well-knitted together and as I'm not sure whether or not they're limited series, might be building to a crossover event.

Truthfully I only bought it because Stan Lee's name was attached and it was buy one, get one half off and I was already buying Volume 2 of Haunt(

:o

• 2 weeks later...

So... random question.

Anyone know of a tablet that works well with Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited? Apparently the iPad doesn't do it. The Android tablets should have the potential, but I've heard mixed reports.

Decided to take the plunge and buy a tablet, but not going to buy one that doesn't support MDCU.

• 1 month later...

I finally got caught up on some of my comics that I've been lagging behind on for the past few months.

Avengers has really become a dull, messy grind. I read two different books and each had full page "talking media head" layouts, specifically attacking Glenn Beck-type commentators. Which was a daring and bold idea... when Frank Miller did it 20 years ago. Also, is picking on Fox News even topical any more? And wouldn't they love Captain America and attack anyone who even questioned his patriotism for any reason, ever? Here Ben Gleck is a vocal critic of Captain America for some reason. Also Bendis brought back the Vision and treated it as though the characters haven't seen Vision in years, ignoring the fact that a teenager with Vision's brain has been running around in Young Avengers since forever.

On the positive side, I recently went back and read the first two years of Brubaker's "Catwoman" run from around 2002, and it's been great, and I say that as someone who's never found Catwoman particularly interesting.

In new comics, I'm really enjoying Mark Waid's Daredevil; it's a lot of fun and I definitely recommend that first trade to anyone with any interest in the character.

In new comics, I'm really enjoying Mark Waid's Daredevil; it's a lot of fun and I definitely recommend that first trade to anyone with any interest in the character.

Definitely picking that up when money and time free up for me. I am not the world's largest daredevil fan. But with a good writer he's one of Marvel's more compelling characters to me.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Asaemon
I got The Last Zombie: Inferno TPB in the mail today and am really looking forward reading it since i enjoyed the first one. I couldn't find it imported over here or on Ebay, so i had to get it directly from Antarctic Press.

I've gotten the first two volumes of The Walking Dead in TPB finally, as well as Star Trek: Spock Reflections, (all three of which I love). I've also gotten Volume One of Stephen King's The Stand, (in a very cool, IMO, hardback variation), as well as Predator: Prey To The Heavens. Haven't gotten around to reading either of those two just yet, but I've always loved The Stand, and, though I've seen less than sparkling reviews for Prey To The Heavens, I love the Predators, so...

Yeah.

Guest Asaemon
I've gotten the first two volumes of The Walking Dead in TPB finally

Those are nice. A friend of mine are collecting those and i got hooked on the comic after he borrowed me a couple of those. Myself i'll collect the HC which is also very nice.

• 3 weeks later...
Those are nice. A friend of mine are collecting those and i got hooked on the comic after he borrowed me a couple of those. Myself i'll collect the HC which is also very nice.

Took a little trip down to my local comic book shop yesterday morning, and added The Walking Dead, Volumes 3 & 4 to my young but quickly growing collection. Seems I can't get enough of these, already anxious for Volumes 5 & 6.

GI Joe: A Real American Hero (Volume 1) has joined the collection as well.

Really wanting to get me some Aliens though, and I'm thinking I should test the waters on the superheroes side of things a little more as well.

:cool:

Took a little trip down to my local comic book shop yesterday morning, and added The Walking Dead, Volumes 3 & 4 to my young but quickly growing collection. Seems I can't get enough of these, already anxious for Volumes 5 & 6.

GI Joe: A Real American Hero (Volume 1) has joined the collection as well.

Really wanting to get me some Aliens though, and I'm thinking I should test the waters on the superheroes side of things a little more as well.

:cool:

If you're into excessive violence and gore, Haunt is pretty good. It's from Kirkman and McFarlane.