The Official Comic Book Discussion Thread

Killagy

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Hive" data-cite="Hive" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="31920" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Wow, really? Stuff like this is why I stopped reading the comics back in the days... sounds like a rejected wrestling storyline from the 90's...</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I fairly certain its phase 1 in the closure of the Ultimate universe.. I reckon they are going to move Miles Morales to 616 with maybe 1 or 2 others and cut their losses.. </p><p> </p><p> I mean have you seen the death list for Ultimate verse: <strong>***SPOILERS***</strong></p><p> </p><p> Abomination (Chang Lam) killed by the Hulk</p><p> Angel (Warren Worthington III) killed by Sabretooth</p><p> Beast (Hank McCoy) drowned in the Ultimatum Wave</p><p> Ben Parker shot by a burglar</p><p> Bishop stabbed by Wolverine</p><p> Black Widow shot with an arrow by Hawkeye</p><p> Blob head bitten off by Hank Pym</p><p> Captain America drove Quinjet into Galactus</p><p> Carnage killed by Spider-Man after being thrown into a smokestack; later cloned by Nick Fury</p><p> Cyclops shot in the head by Quicksilver</p><p> Crimson Dynamo killed by Iron Man</p><p> Daredevil (Matt Murdock) found dead by Spider-Man, presumably drowned in the Ultimatum Wave</p><p> Dazzler (Alison Blair) drowned in the Ultimatum Wave</p><p> Doctor Doom (Victor van Damme) head crushed by the Thing</p><p> Doctor Octopus (Otto Octavius) beaten to death by the Green Goblin</p><p> Doctor Strange (Stephen Strange) killed by Dormammu</p><p> Electro (Max Dillon) shot by Nick Fury</p><p> Gambit (Remy LeBeau) Energy drained by Rogue after being fatally injured by Juggernaut</p><p> Hank Pym Blown up by the Multiple Man</p><p> Harry Osborn murdered by his father, the Green Goblin</p><p> Hurricane killed by Quicksilver</p><p> Jeanne De Wolfe killed by the Punisher</p><p> Juggernaut (Cain Marko) shot in the eye with a poisonous dart</p><p> Justin Hammer died from a heart attack during Doctor Octopus's rampage in New Jersey</p><p> Kaine Ultimate blasted by multiple spider slayers</p><p> Kingpin (Wilson Fisk) pushed out of his skyscraper window to his death by Mysterio</p><p> Longshot (Arthur Centino) tortured and killed in the Savage Land</p><p> Magneto (Erik Lehnsherr) decapitated by Cyclops</p><p> Nightcrawler (Kurt Wagner) drowned in the Ultimatum Wave</p><p> Nihil accidentally shot himself in the head with a plasma weapon</p><p> Norman Osborn dies after the battle with Spiderman</p><p> Peter Parker killed in a battle with Norman Osborn</p><p> Tarantula impaled by Doctor Octopus</p><p> Wasp (Janet Pym) died possibly of drowning, dead body seen eaten by the Blob</p><p> William Stryker killed By Kitty Pryde when she phased through his organs.</p><p> Wolverine (James Howlett) Ripped to Shreds by Magneto</p><p> </p><p> There's only 2 out of the original 5 X-Men left, the Avengers (sorry Ultimates) have been decimated. Captain America and Thor are now gone. Why would anyone carry on reading this?</p>

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>I know its not strictly on topic, but this is the one forum I frequent most often and im seeking opinions (and its slightly comic related)</p><p> </p><p>

Been working a lot recently on photomanipulation and created something that im kinda happy with.. However, If im gonna get better I need to know what others think.</p><p> </p><p>

So below is the piece I made.. any advice?</p><p> </p><p>

<a href="http://s825.photobucket.com/user/GDSRenders/media/2013/Spidey_zpsc3f959c6.png.html" rel="external nofollow"><span>http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz173/GDSRenders/2013/Spidey_zpsc3f959c6.png</span></a></p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Clarity" data-cite="Clarity" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="31920" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I fairly certain its phase 1 in the closure of the Ultimate universe.. I reckon they are going to move Miles Morales to 616 with maybe 1 or 2 others and cut their losses.. </div></blockquote><p> </p><p> At least for the moment, that's not in the cards. Right now they're just re-launching with only 3 titles. I don't think there's too much interest in Ultimate anything outside of Miles Morales, but I also don't really see it folding back into the 616 universe anytime soon.</p>

Has it ever been mentioned(in comics or elsewhere) that Captain America looks exactly like what the Hitler/N@zi's wanted? Blonde hair, blue eyes? I tried googling it, but all I got was a bunch of White Pride/Neo N@zi sites talking about how Captain America is a joke because he's teamed with black men and he was created by Jewish men.

This isn't meant as political topic or anything, I just thought it was odd that the physical appearance of Steve Rogers was identical to what Hitler wanted everyone in the world to look like.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Jaysin" data-cite="Jaysin" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="31920" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Has it ever been mentioned(in comics or elsewhere) that Captain America looks exactly like what the Hitler/N@zi's wanted? Blonde hair, blue eyes? I tried googling it, but all I got was a bunch of White Pride/Neo N@zi sites talking about how Captain America is a joke because he's teamed with black men and he was created by Jewish men. <p> </p><p> This isn't meant as political topic or anything, I just thought it was odd that the physical appearance of Steve Rogers was identical to what Hitler wanted everyone in the world to look like.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> In universe, it was mentioned all the time by the Red Skull, particularly after he moved his brain into a cloned body of Steve Rogers.</p>

• 1 month later...
Been working a lot recently on photomanipulation and created something that im kinda happy with.. However, If im gonna get better I need to know what others think.

Looks awesome. My eyes are untrained to see any errors. Maybe the interaction with the sunlight/rays could fall behind his head? I don't know. What's with the sun anyway? There's so much smoke that it looks a little out of place. :p

What's with Sejic's Ravine #2 title anyway? It's been postponed for, well, half a year. Last time I'll ever preorder anything. :rolleyes: I know he accidently lost his finished renders/work on his HDD, causing a part of the wait. But this is insane. :p

As for the two big promotions. They seemed to have lost their way. I liked the Batman universe more before the reset.

I'm glad this thread got bumped. I just finished Volume 1 of Batman '66 and I thought I'd see if anyone else had checked it out. I thought it was really fun. The only episodes of the Adam West Batman show I ever really enjoyed were the ones with The Riddler and The Joker(Frank Gorshin and Cesar Romero were perfect), but the writing for Batman '66 is a blast. It's light hearted, and pretty much mocking itself an it's source material the entire time, but it's done in a fun way. At least I think so. Batman has always been my favorite DC super hero(and the only DC hero in my top 5), so it's kind of fun to see a not so dark and serious take on him.

Do we have any Sentinels Of The Multiverse fans on the board? It's a co-operative card game with a comic book theme. I've found out about it recently, but I understand it's been out for a few years now. I've only managed a handful of games so far, but I'm really enjoying what they've done with it.

Guest codey

I've just finished all the Uncanny X-Men stuff leading up to X-Men vs Avengers, AvX, And all of the All New X-Men stuff. I've mostly just read Spiderman regularly with X-Men and the rest interspersed, so I'm not very familiar with Jean Grey, but I don't remember her being so annoying!

I've got to say, I love the Marvel app. I've got it on my phone, but it's got me

contemplating getting an iPad to read on now!

I'm glad this thread got bumped. I just finished Volume 1 of Batman '66 and I thought I'd see if anyone else had checked it out. I thought it was really fun. The only episodes of the Adam West Batman show I ever really enjoyed were the ones with The Riddler and The Joker(Frank Gorshin and Cesar Romero were perfect), but the writing for Batman '66 is a blast. It's light hearted, and pretty much mocking itself an it's source material the entire time, but it's done in a fun way. At least I think so. Batman has always been my favorite DC super hero(and the only DC hero in my top 5), so it's kind of fun to see a not so dark and serious take on him.

I enjoyed Batman '66. Like you, I haven't seen a huge number of the Adam West episodes, but it was a fun read all the same.

I've just finished all the Uncanny X-Men stuff leading up to X-Men vs Avengers, AvX, And all of the All New X-Men stuff. I've mostly just read Spiderman regularly with X-Men and the rest interspersed, so I'm not very familiar with Jean Grey, but I don't remember her being so annoying!

I've got to say, I love the Marvel app. I've got it on my phone, but it's got me

contemplating getting an iPad to read on now!

Marvel Unlimited is great value for money.. Yeah its 6 months behind the stores, but thats fine by me.. Im currently going through X-Men from the very beginning

Guest codey
I tried jumping into X-Men and reading from the beginning, but it got really confusing real fast for me when they started introducing more and more titles.

Do we have any Sentinels Of The Multiverse fans on the board? It's a co-operative card game with a comic book theme. I've found out about it recently, but I understand it's been out for a few years now. I've only managed a handful of games so far, but I'm really enjoying what they've done with it.

It is one of my favorite card based games that I play regularly. I still need to pick up the newest expansion that has been out for quite some time.

On that subject of comic based card games here is some basics about the 3 I play

Sentinels of The Multiverse - This tends to be a very easy game to set up as each character and location has its own deck and they never mix. You and your friends play as different heroes who attempt to defeat a super villain in different comic book like locations. It is a co-op game where either everyone wins or loses. So far I have only met 1 person who hates the game.

Basic info about the game- This is a fixed deck game the deck you start with will be your deck throughout the game. Each game you pick a Super Villain to fight and a location the battle takes place in. Each villain has 2 forms that they can use based off criteria listed on their card. Each villain also has its own deck which will dictate what action it takes each turn. The goal of the game is to get the HP of the villain to 0. Each location has its own deck, each turn a card for the location is turned over causing an event to take place. The event can be something good like cops attacking the villain or bad such as random animals attacking the players. Each player selects a hero to control. Every hero has some type of basic action they can perform along with a deck that has extra abilities, equipment, powers, and one time use special cards. Most of the heroes fit a basic type like Tank, Healer, Damage, or Support. The game is often about team work and communication is key. Coordinating when to use different powers and what to target is the key to victory. Depending on the villain you face and the heroes you pick this game can go from cake walk to impossibly difficult.

Legendary: Marvel- By far the most complicated of the 3 and clean up time can be kind of long (or set up time the next game if you do a poor job). Does a good job making you feel like you are running a super hero team. There is a scoring system so it does have a competitive component, but most the time my group ignores it. In my experience people either hate it and see it as too complicated or they love it. The only expansion I have is Dark City.

Basic info about the game. This is a deck building game. The game has multiple scenarios (dictates some game-play mechanics and the criteria to lose the game), Masterminds (The big boss who needs to be defeated to win), Villain Groups (Villains under the mastermind), and henchmen (also under the mastermind). Each new game you pick a scenario and a mastermind (some are linked) along with different number of villain groups and henchmen based on the number of players (some henchmen and villain groups are automatically picked when you select a master mind). All the different combinations really make this a game have a vast amount of different difficult levels which allows new players to start with an easy game and allows vets to make the game very difficult. After setting up the villain side of the game your group then select 5 heroes to make up the hero deck. Each hero card usually has a affiliation (X-men, Avengers), a card type (Tech), cost, currency or attack score, and an ability. Now usually you pick your heroes randomly, but my group always try to make sure at least 2 of the people in the hero deck are made up of group members who normally fight the mastermind (often group affiliation gets bonuses against the villain most associated with them). At this point each turn you and the other players try and build a better deck and to take out the Mastermind and his allies before they reach their goal. Each villain you defeat goes into your score pile and if the mastermind is defeated the player with the highest score wins. The game plays a lot like Thunderstone.

DC Deck Building Game - By far the most basic and easy to understand of all 3 games. Super easy to set up and clean up. It is all about competition even though you are not battling each other. If you are playing with someone who has never play a deck building game before this is the one to go with. That being said the theme has almost no affect on the game play and is mostly just a pretty pain job.

Basic info about the game. You play the game as one of the members of the Justice League. The member of the Justice League you play as gives you a special ability that usually is draw an extra card when you play or buy a specific type of card. The goal of the game is to have the most victory points at the end of the game. The game ends with the Super Villain pile has been defeated. All cards have a victory score, a recruitment value, and many have abilities. Each turn you spend your hands recruitment value and use your abilities toe strengthen you hand with either new heroes, villains, equipment, or powers. All cards you recruit/defeat go into your discard pile and next time you reshuffle they are part of your deck.

I just realized I listed the games in the order I prefer them.

I tried jumping into X-Men and reading from the beginning, but it got really confusing real fast for me when they started introducing more and more titles.

I think im going to stick to Uncanny X-Men as much as possible and only flick to the others when there is a crossover otherwise my head may explode

Guest codey
I think im going to stick to Uncanny X-Men as much as possible and only flick to the others when there is a crossover otherwise my head may explode

The Marvel app has been really good with keeping crossover books bundled together for events. I'm really thankful for that. Plus, the random changes in art style because of it has been really welcome to mix things up.

The Marvel app has been really good with keeping crossover books bundled together for events. I'm really thankful for that. Plus, the random changes in art style because of it has been really welcome to mix things up.

Does that mean that I can, for example, read World War Hulk without having to know which individual books I have to find for it myself - the app gathers them for me? That is, if I want to read some of the extensive tie ins in addition to the 10 or so main issues.

As for Sentinels card game: Is it REALLY a deckbuilder? You explained yourself that you get preconstructed decks and the choice of villain and setting is crucial to the gameflow. I'm a sucker for cardgames - played a bunch of 'em - but this one doesn't seem to be superfun. Especially for one not familiar with the setting. It just seems like crappy art to me. But I'm willing to look past that for great gameplay.

As for Sentinels card game: Is it REALLY a deckbuilder? You explained yourself that you get preconstructed decks and the choice of villain and setting is crucial to the gameflow. I'm a sucker for cardgames - played a bunch of 'em - but this one doesn't seem to be superfun. Especially for one not familiar with the setting. It just seems like crappy art to me. But I'm willing to look past that for great gameplay.

Nope it is not a deck builder game. Your deck never gets bigger and you never get new cards throughout the game. Instead it is more a strategy game with luck of the cards you have in your hands or drawn on your turn playing the chance part instead of something like dice roles.

This video explains the gameplay quite well. http://youtu.be/XKVDgjfBzTA

The Dice Tower Review.

Ok, thanks. If I find it lying around, I might check it out, though the art doesn't seem all that great.

Heard that Marvel's going for a female Thor. What's up with that? I get that they want to keep things fresh, but why do you need to change things so much? There's got to be one constant. Let that be characters, please. I get gender equity and gender-bending and all, but comics seem to have a good ratio of male/female characters, including women in leadership roles. So why change? Thor's got some female characters too, so are they going to change those to male roles? I always thought the female Thor was Valkyrie (at least in appearance, never read her stuff). In the end, we get the same story but with different characters. :rolleyes: