World War Z

mike b

Well finally production is under way on the all time best selling zombie novel starring Brad Pitt,and people are not happy.

It seems Paramount has taken one of the all time best zombie novels and a best seller at that and totally changed the story around for the big screen.

I don't know you all be the judge but if this is how it truly is then paramount you really screwing up a classic novel.

http://io9.com/5830389/world-war-z-movie-synopsis-is-nothing-like-the-book-internet-melts-down

I read the book and i really liked it. It was a great read. I do think that making it a movie was a mistake. They should have gone the Walking Dead route and make it into a series. As the book itself is a series or pictures of what's going on. The narrative moves on but most of it is individual stories.

I'm not keen on what i've read about the movie. At least you can't take the book from me.

/shrug

It was really unlikely it would stay too close to the source material. It's not written in a way that lends itself to a two and half hour movie.

If you thought otherwise, you were setting yourself up for disappointment.

Also, you're a bit thick headed.

Regardless of the movies quality, it's really going to have to be judged on its on merits, and not how much like the book it is.

I read the book and i really liked it. It was a great read. I do think that making it a movie was a mistake. They should have gone the Walking Dead route and make it into a series. As the book itself is a series or pictures of what's going on. The narrative moves on but most of it is individual stories.

I'm not keen on what i've read about the movie. At least you can't take the book from me.

The movie will be fine as it is Brad Pitt.

/shrug

It was really unlikely it would stay too close to the source material. It's not written in a way that lends itself to a two and half hour movie.

If you thought otherwise, you were setting yourself up for disappointment.

Also, you're a bit thick headed.

Regardless of the movies quality, it's really going to have to be judged on its on merits, and not how much like the book it is.

Thick headed. Kind of harsh words don't you think.

No. Who cares if the movie is different than the book? It's "based on the novel" not "the novel, word-for-word."[/QUOT

I see your point but would people say the same thing if Harry Potter was totally changed around from the novels.

I was hoping the movie would bear some resemblance to the novel not just in name. I know they cant get everything into a 2 hour or so movie.

Ill still go see it heck its a zombie movie and with Brad Pit backing it im sure whatever story they did fr big screen it will be ok.

No. Who cares if the movie is different than the book? It's "based on the novel" not "the novel, word-for-word."

I see your point but would people say the same thing if Harry Potter was totally changed around from the novels.

I was hoping the movie would bear some resemblance to the novel not just in name. I know they cant get everything into a 2 hour or so movie.

Ill still go see it heck its a zombie movie and with Brad Pit backing it im sure whatever story they did fr big screen it will be ok.

Yes, BUT Harry Potter is a story that lends itself very well to film adaptation. It's very linear, has it's main, central characters... it's a perfect book for the big screen. If it were changed heavily it would be purely for the sake of the film makers wanting to drastically change it, as the narrative is designed in such a way that turning into a film shouldn't warrant any changes.

WWZ, however, is not Harry Potter. Yes, they are both novels. But while Harry Potter is a linear story with its main, central characters, World War Z is told from dozens of points of view, in only a semi-linear fashion, and regularly jumps around in such a manner than it would make for a horribly disjointed film if done as a straight translation. It'd never work, not for a movie. You would either be forced to cut out a mess of content and try to tell the missing elements of the story through other means, or you'd have to cram those dozens of viewpoints together into a hodge-podge mess that quickly jumps from one to the other. I could see World War Z making for, maybe, a good miniseries on any network willing to gamble with it. But beyond that...

It just isn't designed in a manner that a straight novel to film translation would ever do the story justice. GruntMark's view is right: you're honestly thick-headed if you think the correct direction would be to attempt it, cause it's not. It'd be an absolute mess, and such a fine book as WWZ deserves better than that. If they can focus on just one part of the story and turn it into a solid flick, maybe inspire a few people to go check out the book, then good for them.

That's why i suggested that they do a TV series of it. It really seems that the book would work well that way. A movie just isn't the correct format and i'm really surprised that the author did it that way. I can't imagine that he didn't get an offer for a tv series. I could be wrong as i don't know. Still, i don't blame him for cashing in, just wish he did it differently.

That's why i suggested that they do a TV series of it. It really seems that the book would work well that way. A movie just isn't the correct format and i'm really surprised that the author did it that way. I can't imagine that he didn't get an offer for a tv series. I could be wrong as i don't know. Still, i don't blame him for cashing in, just wish he did it differently.

The moment the book became a best seller Brad pit bought the rights to it. It took so long to go into production because they were trying to get the best scripted adaptation for the movie.

I know they are having the battle of yonkers in the movie and one other major event from the book. Everything else is gonna be new.

It will be interesting seen Pitt in a zombie movie.

I've never been a fan of Brad Pitt. I'll give the movie a shot though. Read the reviews and what not. If they make the movie based around the battle of yonkers and give some small mention of whats going on around the world, i could live with that as the movie is made in America and nothing of real note happens outside of the USA.

It could work. It just requires a good solid hand to make the right script, i don't know how involved Max Brooks is with the scripting but if he does have a big hand in it, then i think i'll give it at least a watch at a cheapie theater.

For me though, a Walking Dead style treatment would have been best. Getting to switch tone every few episodes to show the impact worldwide would have been great. Mainly for me at least, American TV shows and Movies rarely try to work outside of what's going on for the US. Z could have been a good show that uses a lot of foreign workers and be less, well pretty white people focused.

Still, i'll wait for reviews and see what people around here think.

Main article: World War Z (film)

In 2007, the movie rights for World War Z were secured by Brad Pitt's production company, Plan B Entertainment.[28] The screenplay was written by J. Michael Straczynski, with Marc Forster directing, and Pitt starring as the main character, United Nations employee Gerry Lane.[29][30] Production was to begin at the start of 2009, but by mid-year, the script was still under development and being re-written by Matthew Michael Carnahan, and filming did not commence until mid-2011.[29][31] Initial filming ocurred in Malta before moving on to Glasgow, (which was used to represent Philadelphia as uncertainty over tax credits for filmmakers caused the production team to avoid the American city).[32][33][34] World War Z is to be released by Paramount Pictures on December 21, 2012.[35]

Just looked it up on Wikipedia. Can't really argue with Straczynski, as i loved B5. That gives me more hope. Brad Pitt is an ok actor, to me at least. So i'll have to wait for the trailers.Just seems weird that we film so many scenes of US cities, in other countries. When it's cheaper to flim in Malta and Glasgow, i think there might be a problem. :)

Come on dude, give the guy some credit. I can't stand him either, but he's a great actor. If he wasn't, he wouldn't be nearly as successful as he is.

Sarah Jessica Parker is awful, yet she's insanely successful. I don't get that one though. She looks like a horse and can't act. HOW is she popular?!

But, I love Pitt. I'd say about 4 or 5 of the movies in my top 10 have him in them.

Anyone who doesn't like Brad Pitt clearly didn't watch Inglorious Basterds with an unbiased mind. He was absolutely brilliant in it (which, itself, is an absolutely brilliant film). The only reason Lt. Aldo Raine isn't the best part of the film is because Christoph Waltz as Hans Landa was one of the absolute best movie villains of all time.

However, that film has nothing to do with zombies, so I'll let this thread get back on topic. Then again, it does take place during a World War...

I do think that the novel could be adapted to film using the same "situational" approach as the novel did. I also think that would ensure it would never be a major hit. Using a non-standard narrative structure does not automatically doom a film, but when you also take away the presense of primary charaters for the viewers to care about, its not going to have wide appeal. And that becomes the catch.

I do think that the novel could be adapted to film using the same "situational" approach as the novel did. I also think that would ensure it would never be a major hit. Using a non-standard narrative structure does not automatically doom a film, but when you also take away the presense of primary charaters for the viewers to care about, its not going to have wide appeal. And that becomes the catch.

Pretty much what he said; I think a movie could use the novels approach but it just wouldn't have been successful commercially. And with the name World War Z actually being a commodity in itself it just wouldn't have made sense for them to try something so risky.

I do think that a documentary/mockumentary style approach would have had a chance at being successful. Could have made a group of documentarians the central characters which would have allowed more room to play with the books episodic/situational format.

But whatever, I love zombies, so I'll watch it either way.

Pretty much what he said; I think a movie could use the novels approach but it just wouldn't have been successful commercially. And with the name World War Z actually being a commodity in itself it just wouldn't have made sense for them to try something so risky.

I do think that a documentary/mockumentary style approach would have had a chance at being successful. Could have made a group of documentarians the central characters which would have allowed more room to play with the books episodic/situational format.

Actually a mockumentary approach some type is what I was thinking as well. The problem is that you are again deviating from the basic narrative of the novel, which is still going to make the "purists" unhappy. Even if its just adding more background to make the core presentation - which could still be based on the novel - work...

There are a few different approaches which could have potentially suceeded, at least to some degree. When you factor in the zombie fans, the fanbase of the book, plus having a name lad actor like Pitt, would certainly give it a chance... but it would still involve some risk. The approach they've taken probably has the lowest risk because it will appeal to the widest audience outside of the of core demographics, and all you lose is a portion of the hardcore, purists who are upset that its not a pure, straight adaptation.

I am just happy another big Hollywood zombie movie is getting made. I mean the majority zombie movies have bad make-up, directing, effects, and acting, this should at least be competently done. I just hate how zombie movies largely seem to be either peoples first attempt at making a movie or that old man I use to love failing to do something he use to be able to do at a level no one else has ever reached.

Actually when i heard Brad Pitt gonna be staring in world war z i was hmmmmmm Pitt in a zombie movie,we shall seee.

But i love his movies,and i felt same way when i herd he was doing meet Joe Black which is based off the novel death takes a holiday. I was Pitt playing Death naw come on no way never work. But after watching the movie i loved it and now have it in my collection.

It is about time we get a A grade actor in a zombie movie.Sorry Will Smith your movie don't count as a zombie movie:p

It is about time we get a A grade actor in a zombie movie.Sorry Will Smith your movie don't count as a zombie movie:p

That and Will Smith isn’t a good actor he just happens to be one of the most likeable and charismatic people on the planet (which is why I like him, his show, and some of his movies).

I hate Will Smith’s I am Legend, though I love the book. To be fair they have almost nothing in common besides the name, which is based off the ending of the book that isn’t in the movie (which makes the movie even dumber than it already is). I mean I am Legend is about talking Vampires that are almost a greater psychological threat to the main character then a physical threat (though they are a physical threat). Though one of my favorite movies Night of the Living Dead is also very loosely based of I am Legend.

Just because I am working third and I am bored. Movies based off I am Legend in order of best to worst; Night of the Living dead (one of my top 25 movies of all time); The Last Man on Earth (very close to the book and a great movie); The Omega Man (fun film); I am Omega (horrible sci-fi film staring the guy from Iron Chef America); I am Legend (I had so much hope)

If it were me, and depending on funding and such, this is the kind of direction I'd go. Essentially, the book is a retelling, so I'd make that the common thread ... sort of like The Office, but not so flippant.

Let's say for arguments sake, you have Pitt fill the role, and the opening scene of the film is with Will Smith (whose name I just saw mentioned, and for no other reason), and Pitt asks Smith about the initial outbreak. Smith begins his retelling, and it fades into a flashback like moment, that recaps that piece of the episode. And so on and so forth.

Alternatively, I'd focus on one specific area of the world, so you can cover key moments, like the Battle of Yonkers, but I'd prefer the phasing between past and present, I think.

The book has been on my list of "maybe's" to read and now that it is becoming a movie I will probably read it, maybe when I'm done with my current book "The Night Circus"

After my severe dissapointment and hatred with "Feed" I have been quite hesitant to read another zombie book.

The book has been on my list of "maybe's" to read and now that it is becoming a movie I will probably read it, maybe when I'm done with my current book "The Night Circus"

After my severe dissapointment and hatred with "Feed" I have been quite hesitant to read another zombie book.

You will love WWZ. It is not your typical zombie type of novel.

I am just happy another big Hollywood zombie movie is getting made. I mean the majority zombie movies have bad make-up, directing, effects, and acting, this should at least be competently done. I just hate how zombie movies largely seem to be either peoples first attempt at making a movie or that old man I use to love failing to do something he use to be able to do at a level no one else has ever reached.

Hey M-ded, have you seen AHHH Zombies! yet? I think it's pretty good, if taken for the comedy it's intended to be. And a nice twist on the zombie genre as a whole.

Archived